Landslide In Patong

lordofdelusion

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I may have a personal view I consider it would be crass to share it with the community at this time.

and your right to a personal view is respected ,

your attempts to chastise and silence are not .

Whilst I may have a personal view I consider it would be crass to share it with the community at this time.

and your right to a personal view is respected ,

your attempts to chastise and silence are not .

I'm not playing this game any more, it's getting silly and pretty soon Donna going to yell at both of us. Here's to free speech and to decorum - I consider that you have had the last word.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. And the people who live in those hills better not complain. I have zero sympathy for them. They should have known better. But you know what? They will continue to build in them thar hills and cut down more hills and mountains.

Just look at that half mountain gone before you get to Gems Gallery off bypass road. That is a disaster waiting to happen. And it will.

I would be very very surprised if insurance companies have policies for those homes. If they do, they are more stupid than I thought.

Why is this happening? Everything in Patong is built with western standards!

That was a joke right?!

I've spent 5 years in the property business in Phuket and could probably count on one hand number of projects that would pass european building regulations...

Just wait and see, there are more stories like this to come(down)... Unfortunately.

And I just love how they start a hillside housing project by cutting down ALL the trees and roots that normaly offers at least a little support to the soil.

I do hope that we get lucky though, and never get any casulties as a result from these greedy developers

:o

The house that is in that photo is rented by one of the members here. I guess he wil be happy to find out, you could not give a shit that he is about to lose all of his possesions. Obviously no one wants to go in their to move the stuff out.

He happens to be overseas at the moment and cannot do much about it.. I heard it has slid even more today.

Thank you for speaking for me. If they are allowed to build, they will come. Just as guilty as the landowners and provincial officials who allow substandard buildings to be built on the island and hills. I could care less who he is a member off. Why some people leave their brains at the airport is beyond me.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. And the people who live in those hills better not complain. I have zero sympathy for them. They should have known better. But you know what? They will continue to build in them thar hills and cut down more hills and mountains.

Just look at that half mountain gone before you get to Gems Gallery off bypass road. That is a disaster waiting to happen. And it will.

I would be very very surprised if insurance companies have policies for those homes. If they do, they are more stupid than I thought.

Why is this happening? Everything in Patong is built with western standards!

That was a joke right?!

I've spent 5 years in the property business in Phuket and could probably count on one hand number of projects that would pass european building regulations...

Just wait and see, there are more stories like this to come(down)... Unfortunately.

And I just love how they start a hillside housing project by cutting down ALL the trees and roots that normaly offers at least a little support to the soil.

I do hope that we get lucky though, and never get any casulties as a result from these greedy developers

:o

The house that is in that photo is rented by one of the members here. I guess he wil be happy to find out, you could not give a shit that he is about to lose all of his possesions. Obviously no one wants to go in their to move the stuff out.

He happens to be overseas at the moment and cannot do much about it.. I heard it has slid even more today.

I quote from recent Phuket Gazette article....

"The removal of the vegetation that previously stabilized the soil and the resulting erosion from the current heavy rain was the likely cause of the slide, he said.

Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban told the Gazette that the slide happened on private land. In August last year, K. Chairat appeared on the state-run Andaman News with Dr Suttisak Soralump, a geotechnical expert from Kasetsart University in Bangkok.

Explaining the results of a study of slope stability in hillside areas of Patong, both men concluded that there was a real danger of landslides during heavy rains in two areas: along Phra Barami Rd in Kalim and along parts of Nanai Rd.

During that interview K. Chairat noted that private-sector development in hillside areas was a prime contributor to risk of landslides. The town's main regulatory tool in preventing landslides is through enforcement of a ban on building permanent structures above 80 meters elevation, he said."

All very well to ban building above 80m, but this most recent slide and the one 2 years ago were both well below the 80m limit. Beverly hills has been standing for quite a number of years, then almost immediatey after the Bangkok developer removes the trees on the slop below Beverly hills, hey presto, mud slide. Am I surprised, heck no. IMO a permit should be required before cutting down trees, with a proper inspection of the site by government officials. Yeh yeh, I know... easy to get permits, but at least someone would be held accountable in the event of a slide..... or am I just dreaming :o

Interesting to note that the retaining wall build by the Tesiban (built after the developer's original wall collapsed) immediately above the 2 buildings in the photo (at huge cost to the villa owner), is still standing.

Edited by LivinginKata

Just wait and see, there are more stories like this to come(down)... Unfortunately
The house that is in that photo is rented by one of the members here

if agents are aware that a large proportion of housing is substandard and/or have been built in a dangerous location , then why are their clients still encouraged to rent them ?

No mention of greedy Thai land owners who have hilly land that get the excavators in and sell the dirt as fill to building contractors? They dig away entire hill-sides with impunity.

How many houses were built on good land, but then the land owner next door carves away the hill, leaving other peoples houses at the edge of a cliff?

i have just deleted a number of messages that contain petty name calling etc. as i have mentioned above, keep it nice fellas. next time i will issue warnings and suspensions.

if you are unsure of what the forum rules are please read them. you will find them on the top left hand corner of your screen.

Ok, thank god we are back on topic. sigh.

Everyone knows that these hills are a death trap. We know the local govt. looks the other way. Knowing that and knowing the substandard ways of building here, why would anyone buy or rent these locations unless you yourself supervise the entire construction?

2 years ago there were 2 deaths, this week none. Pure luck! Those people need to go out and buy some lottery numbers, they will win!

speaking for myself, if i were looking at a place to rent here, i would more than likely not look at the construction etc. we are all guilty of looking at a nice house with fabulous views and saying 'god, i wish i could live here'. if i were offered one of those homes for rent at the right price, i would have probably taken it too.

BUYING OR BUILDING a home here is completely different story.

speaking for myself, if i were looking at a place to rent here, i would more than likely not look at the construction etc. we are all guilty of looking at a nice house with fabulous views and saying 'god, i wish i could live here'. if i were offered one of those homes for rent at the right price, i would have probably taken it too.

BUYING OR BUILDING a home here is completely different story.

Exactly.. I have never taken a surveyor around to check a house before I rent.

Also, as you drive up to the house it is a huge community joined by lots of infrastructre that ties it all together. When he rented the house the other major construction was not going ahead and they are clearly the main culprits for the slide. Sun Hill has been there for 10 years and many of other places around have been there about the same time.

I agree to blame the builders and the tessabaan, but not the guy renting the house.. sheesh!

Big difference renting a car than renting a house or condo. Big difference renting a house on a flecking mountain versus a house on a normal street or soi. But we are all adults here, except one. lol.

I choose to not have my head up where the sun don´t shine. Due diligence for any building on a mountain is common sense.

Just had a passing look this morning.

Wow, that villa is literally going down hll. Major cracks in the walls, many windows popped out. Only a metter of time...

I was astonsihed to hear the digger working (or so I thought) this morning. Maybe as reported it was leaving town, but it seemed to be digging to me.... :o

Just out interest I downlaoded this Google Earth image. The villa is photo centre and apartment block top/right of large pool. Notice all the tress that used to me there.

Edited by LivinginKata

The tessabaan has condemed the over-hanging house and a few others, too.

The apartment block, Beverley Hills has also been condemned. The apartments are owned by different people, mainly foreigners and were worth 7 to 8 million each.

Lot of people affected by this.

Big difference renting a car than renting a house or condo. Big difference renting a house on a flecking mountain versus a house on a normal street or soi. But we are all adults here, except one. lol.

I choose to not have my head up where the sun don´t shine. Due diligence for any building on a mountain is common sense.

Ok lets have a poll!,

who does due dilligence on structural footings and a survey of the forest reserve, or private land, if they are going to rent a house???

also, who believes the renter is also at fault and should carry some of the blame?

love to know if where my head is, isnt so cloudy.

Edited by maipleur

The apartment block, Beverley Hills has also been condemned. The apartments are owned by different people, mainly foreigners and were worth 7 to 8 million each.

Sir Burr, do you mean all of the buildings in the Beverly Hill complex, or just the end block ? What exactly does condemned mean... not inhabitable until repaired, or compulsory demolish ? Can you share with us where you got that information.

Edited by LivinginKata

Just had a passing look this morning.

Wow, that villa is literally going down hll. Major cracks in the walls, many windows popped out. Only a metter of time...

I was astonsihed to hear the digger working (or so I thought) this morning. Maybe as reported it was leaving town, but it seemed to be digging to me.... :D

Just out interest I downlaoded this Google Earth image. The villa is photo centre and apartment block top/right of large pool. Notice all the tress that used to me there.

Are the houses on the right, down hill, left of the small road destroyed by the landslide ? :o Sorry for asking but didn't read all posts.

IMHO nothing would have happened if the trees and bushes on the hill were left alone and not cut...

LaoPo

As far as I can see no permanent buildings downhill were damaged. A newly erected temp worker's camp was partially (?? maybe fully) buried. Actually the land had just been cleared to erect that camp, and the workers were going to build some bungalows in that valley ... :o Have to wonder at why anyone would build at the base of a dirt cliff.

Sir Burr, do you mean all of the buildings in the Beverly Hill complex, or just the end block ? What exactly does condemned mean... not inhabitable until repaired, or compulsory demolish ? Can you share with us where you got that information.

The "L" shaped block of condo's has been deemed unsafe and may not be inhabited at this time. The houses to the left of the condo's, all of which form a part of the BH complex are not affected by the legal order.

Chiang Mai, might look like an L on the sat image, but the end block structure is not physically connected (other than walkways) to the side block. Admited that there is not much space between those 2 buildings. Has that side building also been evacuated ? Don't think it's in much danger, unless the end building falls. If that happened then you guys would also be in trouble.

Edited by LivinginKata

The unit to the east side, closest to the villa that has been damaged the most, comprised of 4, 2 bedroom units, one of which was 2 storey, was recently for sale on a local website for 15 million Baht. Those on the "L" have not been evacuated as they are not connected but one is vacant and has a for sale sign on it. The west side townhomes are not physically effected but what a crappy neighboorhood to live in with the demolition if not collapse of the other units.