Landslide In Patong

lordofdelusion

Chiang Mai, might look like an L on the sat image, but the end block structure is not physically connected (other than walkways) to the side block. Admited that there is not much space between those 2 buildings. Has that side building also been evacuated ? Don't think it's in much danger, unless the end building falls. If that happened then you guys would also be in trouble.

The "almost an L" blocks have been evacuated but the row where we live has not. Since we live in the house that is furthest to the North we consider our location too risky and will move soon. If I look at the situation objectively I would doubt that the upper building will tip over. The problem is that if it did go it would pull all kinds of other things with it like the retaining wall outside my front door.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MiniVDO: A landslide in Patong early on Friday injured 3 people while the municipality ordered evacuation of the area.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=215121 (in IE6 browser right-click on white camera button at top of page, then "save target as.." to save on your computer, and watch from there. Other browsers or versions may be slightly different.)

Torrential heavy rain caused a landslide on Nanai Road in Patong and injured 3 people living in a construction camp below. The incident occurred at 1am on Friday morning on a private property, affecting both houses and an apartment block above. The buildings were left precariously on the edge of the slide, with their foundations clearly exposed. Residents rushed out to evacuate, help each other and later recovered their belongings to safer areas, while officials from Patong Municipality rushed the 3 injured to Patong Hospital. Most of the expensive properties were occupied by foreigners. Deputy Mayor of Patong, Chairat Sukhaban, told Andaman News that the private developers of the land and the properties have been told to not stay in the area, until walls and support structures have been fully inspected and strengthened or destroyed, while police will investigate any suspicious developers. His office is monitoring 8 landslide prone locations with location maps given out to people. Mitigation officers and volunteers are on standby 24 hours a day as heavy rain continued to fall all weekend, so the threat of further landslides continues. People who are affected by the landslide or any disaster there are advised to report to Patong Municipality at 076 342600. The service is open 24 hours.

----------

MiniVDO: Landslide monitoring skills were discussed with landslide-prone locations identified for Patong.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=215120

Disaster prevention and mitigation officials gathered to learn and discuss methods and skills to monitor landslide in Patong also on Friday. The meeting was conducted under the cooperation of the Mineral Resources Department, Kasetsart University, Asian Disaster Preparedness Center, UNDP and funded by the Norwegian Government, presented a risk-based assessment for landslide mitigation in Patong. Participants also learnt about signs of landslides including cracks. They also showed the results of Norwegian and Japanese experts’ surveys which had come up with hazard maps in 6 coastal provinces in post-Tsunami areas including Phuket. Safe construction manuals will be published for developers while the rain water measurement tools or inclinometer also be installed in prone areas. Dr Suttisak Soralump, Head of the Geotechnical Engineering Research & Development Center of Kasetsart University, who identified risky areas for landslides especially in Patong revealed that study indicated that only 2 locations out of 220 landslides in the six Andaman coastal provinces are caused by nature with others manmade. In Patong 95% occurred due to land excavation, road construction, buildings on hilly slopes, with improper engineering. All caused the loss of human lives and properties.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Monday 29 October 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

Chiang Mai, might look like an L on the sat image, but the end block structure is not physically connected (other than walkways) to the side block. Admited that there is not much space between those 2 buildings. Has that side building also been evacuated ? Don't think it's in much danger, unless the end building falls. If that happened then you guys would also be in trouble.

The "almost an L" blocks have been evacuated but the row where we live has not. Since we live in the house that is furthest to the North we consider our location too risky and will move soon. If I look at the situation objectively I would doubt that the upper building will tip over. The problem is that if it did go it would pull all kinds of other things with it like the retaining wall outside my front door.

The following extract from a statement in the Phuket Gazette (online) today regarding the mudslide states:

"Aroon Kerdsom, who heads the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket) office, said workers had already cleared up debris from a landslide off Soi Veerakij (Nanai Rd, Soi 9)".

Maybe my memory is failing due to old age, let me go take a look - bear with me for a moment. Nope, still the same as it was several days before, I must have missed the subject debris. Goodness me, isn't aging a terrible thing.

Big difference renting a car than renting a house or condo. Big difference renting a house on a flecking mountain versus a house on a normal street or soi. But we are all adults here, except one. lol.

I choose to not have my head up where the sun don´t shine. Due diligence for any building on a mountain is common sense.

Ok lets have a poll!,

who does due dilligence on structural footings and a survey of the forest reserve, or private land, if they are going to rent a house???

also, who believes the renter is also at fault and should carry some of the blame?

love to know if where my head is, isnt so cloudy.

Should've, would've, could've. Words of 20-20 hindsight. Sure, I would not reside in many of the hillside locations of Patong, but that's because I saw enough TV news of landslides from California where homes used to regularly fall off hills before new building codes were tightened.

At the time of purchase, perhaps there were trees and there were assurances given to purchasers that all was well. Who knows the land could have shifted naturally. For those people that have never seen the landslide destruction or that come from places free of similar disasters, the risk is not going to be readily understood.

I feel for the people that lost their homes and probably their retirement dreams along with them. Wherever the fault lays, these poor folks have taken a hit that no one needs or deserves at this point in their lives.

The following extract from a statement in the Phuket Gazette (online) today regarding the mudslide states:

"Aroon Kerdsom, who heads the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket) office, said workers had already cleared up debris from a landslide off Soi Veerakij (Nanai Rd, Soi 9)".

Maybe my memory is failing due to old age, let me go take a look - bear with me for a moment. Nope, still the same as it was several days before, I must have missed the subject debris. Goodness me, isn't aging a terrible thing.

It interesting to note that he was also on Ch 11 saying the failed tsunami drill earlier this year (in April, not the one in July) was a complete success in Phuket, when in fact only the tower at Rawai that was turned on manually actually sounded.

Has anyone been out to the landslide site yet? Has the villa fallen down the hill yet?

I feel sorry for the workers who build the retaining wall i think it could rather dangerous to say the least, Building a five storey apartment block on top of a mountain a metre from from the edge is asking for trouble plus it's an eyesore, there's a lot of people to blame planning dept, developer etc but unfortunatly it will be the owners who get screwed.

I feel sorry for the workers who build the retaining wall i think it could rather dangerous to say the least, Building a five storey apartment block on top of a mountain a metre from from the edge is asking for trouble plus it's an eyesore, there's a lot of people to blame planning dept, developer etc but unfortunatly it will be the owners who get screwed.

Bit exteme to call the site a 'mountain'. More like a hillock. But I have to agree it was an accident waiting to happen. No surprise to me as Beverly Hills aleady had mud slides some 6 years ago during building of the upper villas. Cost quite a big number of millions of Baht to sort the damage done then. This time round it's going to cost much much more.

I'm sure the engineers amongst us can easily explain this (I hope they don't all try to do so here) but I don't see how a retaining wall can be constructed to solve this problem. The vertical face is around say 20 meters before it meets a horizontal plane. The horizontal base of the retaining wall would need to be many meters wide on another persons property. The scale of the engineering effort and the cost is going to be substantial if not huge.

MiniVDO: Phuket Mitigation office announced the landslide location in Patong a ‘Disaster zone’ while heavy rain caused another mudslide in Rasada on Monday night.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=215134

Heavy rain on Monday night also caused a mudslide to block the entrance of Irawadee housing compound in Rasada sub-district. The incident hindered commuters, but no injury cases were reported. Officials put up lights in facilitating traffic to prevent accidents while Rasada sub-district used heavy machinery to clear off the mud and rocks out of the way to allow normal traffic flow in the next morning. The Phuket Chief of Disaster and Mitigation Arun Koedsom said his office has established more networks of around 2,000 amateur radio operators to report on disasters during the heavy rain period.

He also stated that the Phuket province has announced the landslide location in Patong as a ‘Disaster Zone’ with Patong Municipality overseeing the situation and assessing the risk to control or prevent any expansion of the slide situation.

Officials are also keeping a close watch at Ban Kalim, just north of Patong.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Wednesday 31 October 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

MiniVDO: Phuket Mitigation office announced the landslide location in Patong a ‘Disaster zone’ while heavy rain caused another mudslide in Rasada on Monday night.

To see or download mini-video, go to <a href="http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=215134" target="_blank">http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=215134</a>

Heavy rain on Monday night also caused a mudslide to block the entrance of Irawadee housing compound in Rasada sub-district. The incident hindered commuters, but no injury cases were reported. Officials put up lights in facilitating traffic to prevent accidents while Rasada sub-district used heavy machinery to clear off the mud and rocks out of the way to allow normal traffic flow in the next morning. The Phuket Chief of Disaster and Mitigation Arun Koedsom said his office has established more networks of around 2,000 amateur radio operators to report on disasters during the heavy rain period.

He also stated that the Phuket province has announced the landslide location in Patong as a ‘Disaster Zone’ with Patong Municipality overseeing the situation and assessing the risk to control or prevent any expansion of the slide situation.

Officials are also keeping a close watch at Ban Kalim, just north of Patong.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Wednesday 31 October 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

I tell you what, our Arun's as sharp as a bl**dy tack isn't he, 2,000 amateur radio operators to report on disasters, who"d have thought of that one then? For the love of dear God we're talking about Phuket not the frigin' outback! Phuket, regional hub of Amateur Radio Disaster Observer Novices, ARDON.

Edited by chiang mai

It may not be as crazy as it sounds. When all else fails the hams can hook up to a battery and transmit.

The mobile network towers are all battery backed with sophisticated UPS power supplies. I predict the mobile network would be much more reliable in a major emergency situation than ham radios.

Anyway, getting a long way of topic now. Apologies Mods... :o

It may not be as crazy as it sounds. When all else fails the hams can hook up to a battery and transmit.

The mobile network towers are all battery backed with sophisticated UPS power supplies. I predict the mobile network would be much more reliable in a major emergency situation than ham radios.

Absolutely not off topic at all - mobile radio towers overlap their range in high density population/usage areas and several networks have presence in Phuket. Additionally. the range of mobile signals across water is limited only by the curvature of the Earth. ergo, Mobile is better and more reliable.

With all due respect, in a crisis the mobile network is subject to overload by panicked civilians. Radio operators could be trained to have more discipline.

With all due respect, in a crisis the mobile network is subject to overload by panicked civilians. Radio operators could be trained to have more discipline.

Is this about overload or discipline or perhaps, what is most likely to work best in an emergency situation? Thailand, like most of the rest of SE Asia is governed by mobile comms as the primary means of communications. I applaud Khun Arun for thinking outside of the box but frankly he didn't need to look that far.

What a pleasant person indeed.

I've just been catching up on all the posts related to this incident and was stunned to read Mia's both stupid and ignorant quote enclosed.

Why do you think just ' well to do folk ' have been affected by this ?

Many people have been affected - including people trying to have a trouble free holiday in Patong, to decent people workng / trying to make a living here, to maybe a few, as you put it, ' well to do folk ' - I can only assume your jealous as to their achievement in obtaining a holiday home / investment here ?

How can you not be sympathetic to everyone ( anyone ) affected by this ?

What a sad, pathetic excuse for a human being you must be, to gain satisfaction from other people's misery - idiot !

p.s. As for your GLOBAL WARMING comment, if you really want to ' hug a tree ' that badly, there's a few hangin' precariously still on the side of the hill I would heartily recommend to someone such as yourself.

What a pleasant person you are!
no sympathy from me ..................

obviously a matter of when not if .

quite simply ,

there are too many genuine deserving cases GLOBALLY ,

to be concerned about the result of greed and stupidity for some well to do folks who built / purchased in a stupid location , OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ,

nope , NO Sympathy .

quite simply ,there are too many genuine deserving cases GLOBALLY ,to be concerned about the result of greed and stupidity for some well to do folks who built / purchased in a stupid location , OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ,

nope , NO Sympathy .

so who sets the priorities then ? if it i up to me i don't let people that are icky on the list.......

anyways, me & the posse are going to walk over this afternoon to have a look - if it doesn't pour like yesterday afternoon.

what a mess.

What a pleasant person you are!
no sympathy from me ..................

obviously a matter of when not if .

quite simply ,

there are too many genuine deserving cases GLOBALLY ,

to be concerned about the result of greed and stupidity for some well to do folks who built / purchased in a stupid location , OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ,

nope , NO Sympathy .

Yep nice to know you area decent caring guy.

Nobody goes into, these investments, either for profit or home, with any idea of the underlying soil conditions. We all know last weeks lotto numbers.....we now know the soil is unstable. How many of us check for flooding, soil subsidence, soil slip, underground caverns/excavations, landfill, etc, etc???

Yep, this guy has my full syppathy and I really hopes it woks out for him (and his family). I would not wish this on anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

OT (a bit)! But amateur radio is often used at times of disaster because - as was previously commented - the mobile networks usually get totally congested. Amateur radio was used during the tsunami as the initial means of communication in many areas that were affected.

That being said, Arun's comments about 2,000 amateur radio operators being on call is a little OTT. Most amateur radio operators in Thailand are of the VHF 'walkie-talkie' variety, where communication distances are fairly short and affected by terrain. Additionally, these handsets often need to use 'repeater' relay stations to achieve communication over adequate distance, and communication is lost if the repeater station goes down.

The amateur radio operators who are usually called upon at times of disaster are those operating shortwave (HF) transmitters, which enable direct long distance communciation, such as between Phuket and Bangkok, (or Phuket and the USA...)

In Phuket, (AFAIK), there are extremely few HF operators....

So . . ., I'm in the process of establishing an amateur radio HF station by Phuket Airport, which will be operational in times of disaster etc. Just waiting for all the paperwork to be sorted :o

Simon

Just to chime in..

I am / was the tennant of the villa.. Was a great place to live and sad to see it go.. I always said it would end up at the bottom of the hill but didnt think it would be quite so soon.

Left for a month in Bali 2 nights before it went.. Of course got robbed for lots.. 35 baht of gold was nicked and much of my stuff is destroyed.. 5 bedrooms worth of furniture and much of it trashed. Anyway its only stuff and nothing irreplaceable was lost.

Currently theres lots of wrangling.. Despite its location I feel strongly it was the JCB digging undermining the wall.. I have a pic somewhere thats shot from the top showing the landslide directly over the half buried digger and the digger driver is testifying for the claim to say that he was told to do it and that was a cause. The BKK based developer is fighting and its all in courts. current price tag on that one house is 30 million in damages.

The GSM system has the ability to prioritize certain numbers / lines so that in the case of network overload the highest priority lines connect at the expense of the majority. Designed for exactly this issue of first response in a disaster etc.. Police chiefs etc can be issued priority phones that connect.