Bangkok Survivor's Handbook

Cowboyshoe

I'm trying to do as much prep work as possible before moving to BKK, but I don't want to spend money on (and load up my luggage with) useless guides and handbooks.

Has anyone read this 'Bangkok Survivor's Handbook: A Guide to Living in Asia's City of Angels'

by Robert Hein?

Does it contain any info I couldn't find by digging around on Thai Visa?

What I'm really interested in is a 'guide' that doesn't just cover the tourist and business centers. This one sounds good though I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

I bought a book "Bankgok Guide" by an Aus-New Zealand womans group shortly after I got here. It contained a lot of useful info (where to find electrical repair shops, etc). I read it once and since then (several years later) have not referenced it.

I would wait until you get here. Anything you buy will be out of date and the web is a more up to date source of info.

wait until you get here. Anything you buy will be out of date and the web is a more up to date source of info.

i was going to ask the same question - the best book on bangkok

so, [besides this one] which one is the best website that deals with the practical side of bangkok. not all in a forum though as it's difficult to wade though at times, but as a wealth of information. sort of like a survival manual.

i know a lot of oil companies and the diplomatic corps give out booklets to help new staff acclimatize to a different culture, so i'm trying to get a range of those to read before i arrive. sort of like the culture shock series, but i've found them to have errors. not serious, just enough to raise some eyebrows here and there with the locals when i follow suggestions.

cat