Tempeh In Thailand?

jaideeguy

Just reading about tempeh.......

"Tempeh is a fermented food made by the controlled fermentation of cooked soybeans with a Rhizopus mold (tempeh starter). The tempeh fermentation by the Rhizopus mold binds the soybeans into a compact white cake. Tempeh has been a favorite food and staple source of protein in Indonesia for several hundred years.

But tempeh is now rapidly becoming more popular all over the world as people look for ways to increase their intake of soybeans and isoflavones.

They discover tempeh's versatility and delicious taste. Especially vegetarians and vegans find the structure and protein content interesting. Tempeh has a firm texture and a nutty mushroom flavour. Tempeh can be used in different ways. Normally tempeh is sliced and fried until the surface is crisp and golden brown or tempeh can be used as ingredient in soups, spreads, salads and sandwiches. "

and am wondering if it is available in LOS. I looked all thru the tofu section of rimping supermarket in CM and didn't see anything resembling it. and i would consider Doing It Myself, if i could find the 'starter' [maybe even harder to find here]

• Like 1

I love the stuff myself. The closest Thailand has to it is thua nao, popular with Shan and some northern Thai. Fermented in the same way but formed into dry, flat rounds. Pieces are crumbled and added to dishes instead of fish sauce or shrimp paste, in northern Thailand, northeastern Myanmar and northwestern Laos. Delicious.

Or make your own, it's not difficult.

Tempeh is much better for you than fresh soy, which is toxic, raises estrogen levels (enough to disrupt women's menstrual cycles, increase the risk of breast cancer, and enlarge male breasts) and prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the GI tract during digestion.

Tempeh is much better for you than fresh soy, which is toxic, raises estrogen levels (enough to disrupt women's menstrual cycles, increase the risk of breast cancer, and enlarge male breasts) and prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the GI tract during digestion.

Does "fresh soy" include tofu and tofu milk as far as negative effects?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Does "fresh soy" include tofu and tofu milk as far as negative effects?

YES. Avoid all mass-market soya products like the plague! Biggest junk-science food marketing scam in the last decade. Go for tempeh (I eat it raw) and traditional Japanese fermented soya/miso products, preferably unpasteurised.

• 2 years later...

Where to get tempeh starter in Thailand? I know that in Indonesia and Malaysia Raprima Ragi Tempeh is used for making tempeh. Haven't found it in Thailand so far. Do Thais from the deep south eat tempeh?

I used to make it myself with commercial starter culture and it worked out very well, wrapped in banana leaves from our garden.

Edited by hyls

Where to get tempeh starter in Thailand? I know that in Indonesia and Malaysia Raprima Ragi Tempeh is used for making tempeh. Haven't found it in Thailand so far. Do Thais from the deep south eat tempeh?

I used to make it myself with commercial starter culture and it worked out very well, wrapped in banana leaves from our garden.

Check with the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok. Ask for the canteen and you may have to order in advance

when there is a diplomatic bazaar they normally sell it at their stall

• 9 months later...

Normally tempeh is sliced and fried until the surface is crisp and golden brown or tempeh can be used as ingredient in soups, spreads, salads and sandwiches.

I lived in indo for 3 years and did not ever see an application where tempeh was used as an ingredient...it was usually eaten on its own...

can anyone suggest a typical indonesian/malay dish that has tempeh as an ingredient?

• 3 weeks later...

This tempeh is available in KPG and the brand is widely present in Thailand.

Can cook with curry or deep fried, both sliced. Good with guacamole sauce too.

Sweet Indonesian memories.

I make my keang kiow waan with tempeh, but also my tortillas :D

Just google on Tempeh and recipe and you will find some delicious answers

• 3 months later...

Making tempeh starter and tempeh myself now. Unfortunately not using organic beans yet, but I do plan to grow the beans myself in nearby future.

Nevertheless it's extremely cheap to make (beans are only 30 baht / kg and that gives you a lot of tempeh) and tastes great. Keep them in the freezing compartment.

Usually put them in banana leaves, so also environmentally friendly.

• 3 months later...

This tempeh is available in KPG and the brand is widely present in Thailand.

Can cook with curry or deep fried, both sliced. Good with guacamole sauce too.

Sweet Indonesian memories.

What and where is KPG? I am also interested in Tempeh. I baught some Miso at Tops. They had lots of stuff that might of been fermented soy but all labels in Japanese or Thai

KPG is Koh Phangan. Island close to Koh Samui. Limpipong health food and kitchenware shop, in Thong Sala, opposite Big A Supermarket and wholesale, has in stock Tempeh and Sesame Tempeh

Oh that KPG. Dont thing I'll be heading there for Tempeh but thanks anyway

• 1 year later...

You can order Tempeh starters on line.

This link will help with understanding.

The basic culture is fungus Rhizopus oligosporus spores.

But symbiotic bacteria can also be involved to further process the soy.

Yes un-fermented soy is not good for you. Tons of hype from those who want your money and don't care about your health.

You can lacto ferment soy beans or other kinds of beans too with simple live yogurt or kefir whey.

I make my own soy milk then soy yogurt with a kitchen yogurt incubator and I use the same one to incubate my Natto.

Or you can do better making Natto which has good vitamin K's to keep your arteries clear of plaque.

Widely used in Japan and you can find in the frozen section of Japan Grocery stores and use as a Natto starter.

The Natto bacteria, Bacillus subtilis is a soil bacteria and was originally cultured from rice straw.

It converts the soy to very good things for the body and is used to make many antibiotics now through various fermentation processes.

German military used in North Africa to cure disentary which killed thousands of their troops.

Apparently the Egyptians just ate a bit of warm Camel poop when they had a problem and this was the clue they needed for research.

Now get on to Kombucha which is fermented sweet tea and get your gut full of more good probiotics. I have seen it in a health bar in Pai but no where else as yet.

You need a starter for this too called a Scoby. "Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast" Maybe someone reading this has a scoby to share.

You can get them on line from the States but don't know if they will survive the trip.

Singha is my fav ferment~!

There are some Thai fermented products too my wife tells me. Of course coffee and vanilla are fermented beans and I hear some fellow Canuk is getting some help from Elephants to ferment the beans~!

In Vietnam and other places they use a ferrite like animal I think called a Trivet to ferment them and this coffee is quite expensive.

fao Fermented Foods.pdf

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I bought some tempeh (Healthy Mate brand) from the supermarket at Emporium. It costs 37 baht per block. The thing is that I got them during the start of the Vegetarian Festival (beginning of October). But I'm not sure if they sell it only during the festival month. You should check it out.