Tempeh In Thailand?

Just reading about tempeh.......

"Tempeh is a fermented food made by the controlled fermentation of cooked soybeans with a Rhizopus mold (tempeh starter). The tempeh fermentation by the Rhizopus mold binds the soybeans into a compact white cake. Tempeh has been a favorite food and staple source of protein in Indonesia for several hundred years.

But tempeh is now rapidly becoming more popular all over the world as people look for ways to increase their intake of soybeans and isoflavones.

They discover tempeh's versatility and delicious taste. Especially vegetarians and vegans find the structure and protein content interesting. Tempeh has a firm texture and a nutty mushroom flavour. Tempeh can be used in different ways. Normally tempeh is sliced and fried until the surface is crisp and golden brown or tempeh can be used as ingredient in soups, spreads, salads and sandwiches. "

and am wondering if it is available in LOS. I looked all thru the tofu section of rimping supermarket in CM and didn't see anything resembling it. and i would consider Doing It Myself, if i could find the 'starter' [maybe even harder to find here]

• Like 1

I love the stuff myself. The closest Thailand has to it is thua nao, popular with Shan and some northern Thai. Fermented in the same way but formed into dry, flat rounds. Pieces are crumbled and added to dishes instead of fish sauce or shrimp paste, in northern Thailand, northeastern Myanmar and northwestern Laos. Delicious.

Or make your own, it's not difficult.

Tempeh is much better for you than fresh soy, which is toxic, raises estrogen levels (enough to disrupt women's menstrual cycles, increase the risk of breast cancer, and enlarge male breasts) and prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the GI tract during digestion.

Tempeh is much better for you than fresh soy, which is toxic, raises estrogen levels (enough to disrupt women's menstrual cycles, increase the risk of breast cancer, and enlarge male breasts) and prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the GI tract during digestion.

Does "fresh soy" include tofu and tofu milk as far as negative effects?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Does "fresh soy" include tofu and tofu milk as far as negative effects?

YES. Avoid all mass-market soya products like the plague! Biggest junk-science food marketing scam in the last decade. Go for tempeh (I eat it raw) and traditional Japanese fermented soya/miso products, preferably unpasteurised.

• 2 years later...

Where to get tempeh starter in Thailand? I know that in Indonesia and Malaysia Raprima Ragi Tempeh is used for making tempeh. Haven't found it in Thailand so far. Do Thais from the deep south eat tempeh?

I used to make it myself with commercial starter culture and it worked out very well, wrapped in banana leaves from our garden.

Edited by hyls
Where to get tempeh starter in Thailand? I know that in Indonesia and Malaysia Raprima Ragi Tempeh is used for making tempeh. Haven't found it in Thailand so far. Do Thais from the deep south eat tempeh?

I used to make it myself with commercial starter culture and it worked out very well, wrapped in banana leaves from our garden.

Check with the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok. Ask for the canteen and you may have to order in advance

when there is a diplomatic bazaar they normally sell it at their stall

• 9 months later...

Normally tempeh is sliced and fried until the surface is crisp and golden brown or tempeh can be used as ingredient in soups, spreads, salads and sandwiches.

I lived in indo for 3 years and did not ever see an application where tempeh was used as an ingredient...it was usually eaten on its own...

can anyone suggest a typical indonesian/malay dish that has tempeh as an ingredient?

This tempeh is available in KPG and the brand is widely present in Thailand.

Can cook with curry or deep fried, both sliced. Good with guacamole sauce too.

Sweet Indonesian memories.

post-58494-0-60914600-1296140764_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

This tempeh is available in KPG and the brand is widely present in Thailand.

Can cook with curry or deep fried, both sliced. Good with guacamole sauce too.

Sweet Indonesian memories.

I make my keang kiow waan with tempeh, but also my tortillas :D

Just google on Tempeh and recipe and you will find some delicious answers

• 3 months later...

Making tempeh starter and tempeh myself now. Unfortunately not using organic beans yet, but I do plan to grow the beans myself in nearby future.

Nevertheless it's extremely cheap to make (beans are only 30 baht / kg and that gives you a lot of tempeh) and tastes great. Keep them in the freezing compartment.

Usually put them in banana leaves, so also environmentally friendly.