Dentist

lotus eater

Would be grateful for a recommendation of a dentist/dental clinic for a bridge/crown for my girlfriend. One recommendation has been to the hospital on the highway (on the left after bigC and Homemart); perhaps there is somewhere less expensive or fancy, but providing equally good work?

Would be grateful for a recommendation of a dentist/dental clinic for a bridge/crown for my girlfriend. One recommendation has been to the hospital on the highway (on the left after bigC and Homemart); perhaps there is somewhere less expensive or fancy, but providing equally good work?

Probably refering to Sriburin hospital.

Though , I pretty sure nobody could fault the service there, I think they are expensive.

I recommend the dentist in town thats opposite ECC, near Swensens.

They have a full pricelist on display, albeit in Thai.

The advantage of the dentist opposite ECC, near Swensens, is English language capacity.

On Trirat Road, at the west side of the main market, just a block north of Tanalai Road (town's main east-west road)

are a couple great places. i've used one for almost a decade - female dentist, great staff, very friendly, lots of nice cats (and yes, it is clean, anyway). good prices.

up that road, to Banpaprakan (well, that's south), is another, cheaper - but not so clean...

One pays much less, quite typically, just through use of the local language...!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to the female dentist yesterday,after reccomandations on this forum and was very suprised!

She was very friendly, to the point and a some social talk afterwards. (I noticed two cats...that's not too much?!)

But her, taking time for you, try to explain what was going on and charge not that much, convinced me to visit her when ever I need a dentist again.

So, Anyone new and looking for a dentist, she should be the one you should visit. Eventhough there is no English on the outside of her studio (except the big Oral-B sign ), this dentist speaks English.

The one I refering to is the one on Trirat Road, on the west side of the main market. Good luck! :o

Lilly

Lotus eater, I found that to be a good dentist in the hospital. I had a bridge and 4 crowns done at half the price of bangkok hospital. 18 mths later I have no complaints. That is probably best hospital in area. Dentist spoke excellent english and very calm and understanding.

The other option is Chaing Mai, but you may need to go thru some of the threads for other recommendations in this area.

Hi Chris,

There a few hospitals in Chiang Rai...which one?

ISPY

Sriburin hospital. I don't know the name of the dentist but she was great. I got the teeth whitened and the gel for touch-ups and the work mentioned, the cost was about 40,000 baht Feb 2006. I could have had the gold crowns for 60,000 baht. I checked the prices with Bangkok at the time and it was about double the cost.

This type of work in Oz would have been about $7 to 10k. The other option is Chiang Mai, and I think you may get some feedback on past posts for referrals either in the Chiang Mai forum or I think there is a medical part to this forum which is where I was able to chase up some information. Some of the posts refer to Assoc Professors in particular hospitals from what I can remember.

I am also a diabetic and used the doctors at this hospital. They were also good. Our son was born in the Hospital and again great service ( except I thought the push of baby formula for new born's was a bit over the top, but was easy fixed). Visited relatives at the other 2 big hospitals;they were ok but I thought Sriburin opposite the Little Duck Hotel just past the Ford dealership heading from Big C was the best.

Hope that helps. Don't know about the other dentist mentioned. I have very sensitive teeth and dread the dentist, but felt well looked after.

Would have been about half that price in the city but as long as you're happy

with the service, thats the main thing.

Thanks to Joel

http://www.chiangraiprovince.com/guide/eng/30.htm

The hospitals of Chiang Rai are:

1.Kasaemset-Suburin, a fine new hospital between Big C and SiYak MaeGon (where Pahonyothin meets the highway)

2.Overbrook, the century old Christian hospital, 17 Singhaklai Rd., Tel 711366, 715830-4.

3. Chiangrai Ratchanukroa (Prachurukhro, "Ro-ban Thai"), the public one, on Sathanpayaban Rd, 711300. Crowded, but with some excellent staff and the best emergency services.

4. Khai Mengrai Maharat, the military hospital.

There are also over two dozen clinics, mostly in the Tanalai business area, near the Ha-yaek, on Pahonyothin and along SanKhong Noi Road. Pharmacies and drug stores, with both Chinese and modern Western-style medicines, can be found all over, and food shops sometimes carry simple remedies. Natural medicines preferred by many, come from local forests and are sold at fresh food markets. The live decorative plants complex on Pratu ChiangMai Rd, with the Princess Mother's foundation for natural medicine, has a health-food store there, called Ran Gat Mai. Another natural medicine store, across the street from the bus station, offers a free guide, in English, to Thai natural medicines.

Small towns often have clinics, with limited hours, and advice is often dispensed at drug stores.

Thanks to Joel

1.Kasaemset-Suburin, a fine new hospital between Big C and SiYak MaeGon (where Pahonyothin meets the highway)

2.Overbrook, the century old Christian hospital, 17 Singhaklai Rd., Tel 711366, 715830-4.

3. Chiangrai Ratchanukroa (Prachurukhro, "Ro-ban Thai"), the public one, on Sathanpayaban Rd, 711300. Crowded, but with some excellent staff and the best emergency services.

There are also over two dozen clinics, mostly in the Tanalai business area, near the Ha-yaek, on Pahonyothin and along SanKhong Noi Road. Pharmacies and drug stores, with both Chinese and modern Western-style medicines, can be found all over, and food shops sometimes carry simple remedies. Natural medicines preferred by many, come from local forests and are sold at fresh food markets. The live decorative plants complex on Pratu ChiangMai Rd, with the Princess Mother's foundation for natural medicine, has a health-food store there, called Ran Gat Mai. Another natural medicine store, across the street from the bus station, offers a free guide, in English, to Thai natural medicines.

Small towns often have clinics, with limited hours, and advice is often dispensed at drug stores.

Maybe half prices for deliveries as well??? :o

Thanks to Joel

Maybe half prices for deliveries as well??? :o

Only for Twins, Triplets 33 percent discount............

Found that the recommended lady dentist (near the market, with the oral b sign) charges the same as the dentist in the new hospital (srirubin), ie 12000 and 16000 baht for a 3 and 4 tooth bridge respectively. (And her prices are displayed on the counter, so no supplement added there for newbie me).

My wife wanted the cheaper service but appreciated me for giving the better hospital.

We use to go and see the doctor in his rooms but found he had service at the Hospital. It was the same price.

By giving the best it doesn't cost that much more in Chiang Rai, but is appreciated not only by your wife but the family will see that you appreciate your wife.

I just thought the hospital presented better. Sometimes this matters.

Thats my thoughts Lotus.

The most expensive isn`t always the best!

You missed the point. Don't know where you live but if you have been in the other hospitals maybe the expensive one is the best.

Anyway that is what my wife's family thought, and it was nice that I could show them that I had respect for my wife. This type of action may cost you a few extra Baht but goes along way in reassuring people their daughter is being looked after. In any event this is the Hospital I would use in Chiang Rai as I found the cost was similar to other services in the area. So what if it is a few extra Baht, that meant an extra $1 on top.

Shop your prices you will be amazed.

I remember going for a blood test in a local pathology service in town. The rubber type band that was put on my arm as a tornakay really scared me. I had other tests done at the hospital and found that it presented a lot cleaner and also wearing rubber gloves when taking blood.

Sometimes it is the behind the scene stuff that is important. But than it is up to you.

The topic is about the standard of dentistry not hospitals. Although obviously linked.

I and others would tell you that the standard of workmanship and hygiene at the above mentioned female dentist was easily on a par with western standards(if that is the benchmark we use).

You may even find that your dentist and "ours" to be one and the same as many doctors/dentists etc hold their own clinics in the evening whilst being employed by hospitals during the day.

Yor costs for treatment were half of what it would have cost in Bangkok, you say. Likewise it most probably would have been cheaper to have gone to a clinic in the town for the same treatment, as opposed to going to Sriburin. 40,000B is a hel_l of an amount for dental treatment. As Tayto said, you may well have got the same treatment in town for around 25,000B. Ergo the most expensive isn`t always the best

Chris, please, I`m not Knocking you for trying to do the best for your family. Very commendable indeed. We`re merely having a discussion.

And yes, having lived in Chiang Rai for many years, I have been in and out of all of the local hospitals many times. Whether it be for myself or for family members.

Keep smiling brilliantly white.

C35b.

P.S. Nothing is the best until you`ve tried everywhere.

Chang read Lotus above similar price?

I did have a lot of dental work.

I had three choices of cost 25000 40000 and 60000. The costs related to the metal used in the teeth. One was a low grade metal then a higher standard metal then gold.

The reason was the lower cost may prove to discolour the teeth earlier whilst the gold would give a more radiant smile. When I weighed up the options I chose the 40000 baht option.

So if we meet in the square and smile your smile may be greyer than mine.

I still don.t know what point you are making? The cost of seeing a doctor in his rooms was the same as the hospital; the benefit was to get it done at our convenience rather than having to go around dinner time to see him. The other thing with the pathology service he wanted to sell more of his service to me at an extra 1200 baht. Never had this problem at the Hospital.

:o

I suppose the point I am trying to make Chris is that, other than your satisfaction with the service you received, you have no way of knowing whether the standard of dentistry was better, the same or worse than the place recomended by others even though you followed this up with"That is probably the best hospital in the area"

Wasn't it about cost?

I just added my experience, thats all; what you are alluding to thru your post is that I was either naive or just didn't care about spending money?

Didn't lotus post say the costs were about the same. I Have confirmed the scale of my costs which are abt the same as your estimate?

I can assure you I did a bit of homework on costs and service. I only want value for my money and with my teeth I have met some butchers.

Again whats the point, just that I have an opinion and it differs from u. Its like arsh### everyone has got one. There is no reason to come on and say that I have misspent money or that your opinion is better than mine. This sounds like trolling. I would suggest just stick to your opinion and back it as to why, no need to attack or discredit someone's view.

I never said my opinion was different from yours. I never said my opinion was better than yours. You`re getting uptight for no reason. I never said you`ve mispent money. In fact I commended you for seeking what you thought was the best treatment for your family, and I do so again.

You asked what my point was and I tried to tell you in my last post. I still stand by what I said in that post. I`m sorry that you feel the way that you do about my posts on this topic and apologise if you feel I have offended you in any way.

P.S. could you please refer me to any parts of any of my posts that irked/ offended you and I will try to explain my reasons for writing what I did.

Cheers,

Chang35baht.

Edited by chang35baht

You see, we are a civilised lot in Chiang Rai.

We don't need Chiang Mai people telling us we're not polite.

I find Chiang Mai people very rude.

People are people are people. Some of the Chiang Mai posters are polite and some aren't, similarly in Chiang Rai.

If you find the Chiang Mai people very rude then maybe they are simly replying in kind.

CB

You see, we are a civilised lot in Chiang Rai.

We don't need Chiang Mai people telling us we're not polite.

I find Chiang Mai people very rude.

People are people are people. Some of the Chiang Mai posters are polite and some aren't, similarly in Chiang Rai.

If you find the Chiang Mai people very rude then maybe they are simly replying in kind.

CB

What's this all about....about dentistry??? :o

Edited by ISPY

I am a recent immigrant to Chiang Rai - from Chiang Mai. Without wanting to stir another controversy - this time of loyalties - I'd be interested to know if the best dental facilities in Chiang Rai come even close to the best in Chiang Mai, such as Grace Dental Clinic. I have in mind the dental work - ignoring the accoutrments of the clinic.

Also how do CM/CR prices compare?