Moving To Korat...

tyler2uk

:o hi peeps.....not sure if anyone can help, i am presently located in uk with thai wife, and looking to spend 6 months of year in korat when the weather in uk turns sour....

What i am wondering is about accomadation in korat, been to thailand many times now and after much searching in korat have yet to find any properties for sale.......

Considered building our own place because we have land from thai inlaws but anyone who lives about 20 mins by car out of Korat know theres not much happening there...not ready for recluse at 30 yet...

.....Also my building skills are less tham zero so it would be a last resort....and i have heard so many bad stories about this...

So if anyone could shed any light on property development in or around the city or info on where to look, property agents, and cost of homes...it would be most appreciated..

Looking to spend about 1.5mbt so not really sure what available for this, if any, but we dont want a palace, just somewhere not a million miles from watering holes...

Any help will be much appreciated on this, and i will be back in touch so i can get you a pint when i get there.... :D

there are many projects in and around the town. you become for certain something fitting find for 1.5 m. simply running with open eyes through the area.

look to "land and home" in choho rd. 205 >chayaphun, 5km´s outside the city.

rgds ... WILLI

Many thanks Willi s....will be in thailand soon so will be having a good look for sure and also at the area you mentioned so many thanks again.....

I think we may go down the buying a property route as building a home seems too stressfull and complex for me, if i could speak good thai i may have gone for it but i would hate the fact that i could get involved.....

Anyway many thanks again........Tyler :o

Just came back from Korat, it is home for the family of my Thai fiance. When there we stayed at Korat Resort, which is about 25 minutes out of town. Nice place. To go visit her mom we always went through the military base and on the way there, there were at least two new developments, which had nice houses in them - a bit cooky cutter style though. At least they looked very nice from the outside. We did not really find the time to take a look nor were we interested in moving to Korat. The prices there were starting at 499,000 Baht. But as I mentioned, I have no idea what you really get for it.

If you need more info, I have to ask my fiance in Thailand, I am currently back in Canada.

:D Thanks for the advice it all is really invaluable as you can imagine.....The site you mentioned 32x is real good with lots of ideas but i reckon we could be looking at a new or newer place but thanks again for your time on this because it does help a lot....

Dieter....i have spoke about the developments you mentioned so we will be taking a look for sure,....we are in no rush to get a place so we will be just have a few months before we comit to anything.....

So if anyone sees a new pale face cruising up and down the main road or cruising the sois looking more than averagly stressed out and sun burnt you will know it was me...

Have fun all and thanks again :o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm buying (leasing) a house about 15 kilometers outside Korat in the Land and House development. It's very nice, and deserves a good look. The newest houses they are building go for about 5 million baht, the ones they were building last year (still a few left) are 2.14 to 2.88 million baht. There are also a few used homes for sale, 2 to 3 million. The homes are very well constructed and come with a warranty. The lots tend to be small. But I have been told this is the high-status address to have in Korat.

None of the houses are over 7 years old. The development has its own wells and water towers. It's the typical gated, guarded community. Nice swimming pool, nice pond with koi, nice clubhouse with restaurant. The food is excellent and cheap. Not too many farang live there, but a good dozen or so. Mostly Thai.

Just ouside the gate are a bunch of new one-story houses for about 1 million baht on tiny bits of land.