Chiang Rai Member Search Doesn't Turn Up Much.

villagefarang

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a member doesn't put his location in his profile it won't show up in a location search. It's up to the members to place the information there.

I understand that. I was just wondering why people don't and thought it might be nice to see who is in the Rai.

If a member doesn't put his location in his profile it won't show up in a location search. It's up to the members to place the information there.

I understand that. I was just wondering why people don't and thought it might be nice to see who is in the Rai.

Maybe some don't know about how to do it, maybe others have more specific location in the profile, etc. Perhaps you have now started an initiative to get them going. :o

You could lead by example and add your location.. :o

totster :D

Maybe some don't know about how to do it, maybe others have more specific location in the profile, etc.

For example your location > " villagefarang > From: Northern Thai Village" wouldn't show up on a search of Chiang Rai members. So other members with perhaps their local village within Chiang Rai wouldn't show up.

Maybe some don't know about how to do it, maybe others have more specific location in the profile, etc.

For example your location > " villagefarang > From: Northern Thai Village" wouldn't show up on a search of Chiang Rai members. So other members with perhaps their local village within Chiang Rai wouldn't show up.

I actually did show up on the search as my profile does say Chiang Rai further down the page. Hopefully by adding Chiang Rai to my Norther Thai Village location it will make it easier.

I fully understand not giving out village name or address except in PM as who knows what evil lurks out there. I would, however, like to know how many of us are out there even though I can't yet envision actually meeting anyone. Just curious I guess.

I would, however, like to know how many of us are out there even though I can't yet envision actually meeting anyone. Just curious I guess.

I'm curious about this comment.

This is as good an example as any. In this environment how am I supposed to know how to take your remark.

You could be genuinely interested in an explanation. It could be purely rhetorical or you could have taken offense and made assumptions as to what I meant. The point being there is no way of being sure about anything in a place like this.

I have never been the type to buddy up to the bar owner or befriend some guy on a barstool. Over the last 20 years or so my best friendships, have for the most part, been established and nurtured on a squash court. It is extremely difficult to hide ones true nature in the heat of battle on a squash court.

I'm also a believer in the economics of relationships. Both sides have to gain or share something for a relationship to flourish. What that might be has little constraint but must be there not the less.

With newbies I found the relationship too one sided. They often need a reference source, a guide, a translator and perhaps a mentor to teach them the ropes. There are people, who may gain some sense of self-worth out of a relationship like that but I'm not really that guy.

I prefer to be around people who I find interesting, though that can be a difficult task at times. Entirely my fault for being too picky. I have lived a very fortunate life here in Thailand and credit it in some part to playing my cards close to my chest and having a healthy skepticism when dealing with others.

Thus my innocuous remark about not being sure that I want to temp the Peter Principle by meeting online entities. Some things work at one level but not the next.

I would, however, like to know how many of us are out there even though I can't yet envision actually meeting anyone. Just curious I guess.

This is as good an example as any. In this environment how am I supposed to know how to take your remark.

You could be genuinely interested in an explanation. It could be purely rhetorical or you could have taken offense and made assumptions as to what I meant. The point being there is no way of being sure about anything in a place like this.

I have never been the type to buddy up to the bar owner or befriend some guy on a barstool. Over the last 20 years or so my best friendships, have for the most part, been established and nurtured on a squash court. It is extremely difficult to hide ones true nature in the heat of battle on a squash court.

I'm also a believer in the economics of relationships. Both sides have to gain or share something for a relationship to flourish. What that might be has little constraint but must be there not the less.

With newbies I found the relationship too one sided. They often need a reference source, a guide, a translator and perhaps a mentor to teach them the ropes. There are people, who may gain some sense of self-worth out of a relationship like that but I'm not really that guy.

I prefer to be around people who I find interesting, though that can be a difficult task at times. Entirely my fault for being too picky. I have lived a very fortunate life here in Thailand and credit it in some part to playing my cards close to my chest and having a healthy skepticism when dealing with others.

Thus my innocuous remark about not being sure that I want to temp the Peter Principle by meeting online entities. Some things work at one level but not the next.

Perhaps this is exactly why people who live in Chiangrai don't indicate it anywhere......have you accidentally stumbled onto the answer to your original inquiry?

Chownah

Pretty much the same way I should take your's, I guess. You seem quite interested in who is around Chiang Rai and on TV, somewhat as a vouyer rather than a social participant .. it would seem .. after reading your latest post.

Which is why I asked.

I have never been the type to buddy up to the bar owner or befriend some guy on a barstool.

I am not a bar owner and seldom adorn a bar stool as I don't drink. Bad assumption on your part?

Over the last 20 years or so my best friendships, have for the most part, been established and nurtured on a squash court. It is extremely difficult to hide ones true nature in the heat of battle on a squash court.

Never played that game either. But I would suppose that squash courts are a bit rare out in the village.

I'll just let that one set there and simmer.

Sound's like you are valuing yourself pretty highly. FWIW, I'm relatively comfy with my fractured Thai and have driven 75 of the provinces in Thailand.

So far this sounds pretty one-way.

Fair enough, I suppose .. if you want to live your live that way. Up to you.

When I wrote my response to your post, I was genuinely interested in your motivation for phrasing your response in that manner .. not to get an invite for a cold brewski. Now I will ask a presumptuous question.

Did you want to find out who is around C'rai and on TV so you could snub them/us in a way so we would know we were being properly snubbed?

Many of your retorts can be covered with a general disclaimer, that my response was intended to be theoretical and any resemblance to anyone living or dead was purely accidental and unintended. No need to personalize anything or think I was making assumptions about your alcohol intake or anything else.

As for snubbing people, that would imply meeting them, which I thought I made pretty clear, I am rather reticent to do.

I didn't say I wanted to know "who" people are. I was just curious about how many of us, anonymous internet entities, are lurking out there in the Rai. I would guess that very few actually live in Chiang Rai city proper. I would include anyone who views Chiang Rai as their regional hub and shopping town. Depending on the route I take I am between 50 to 60 KM out of town, yet I still say I live in Chiang Rai.

Admitting to living in Chiang Rai is hardly an invitation for people to drop by. I'm sure it would take a fair amount of time and effort to cover the entire region trying to track someone down. No I'm not being paranoid, just making an observation.

If I were to come across another foreigner in the normal corse of living my life, that would be very different from meeting an online entity. The foreigners I have met here are all from different countries, both Western and Asian. None of them seemed to be wondering the Web. Most either visit the village because the wives come from here or have stopped by to look at the house. The village connection gives us something in common right from the get go and provides a base from which to search for other similar interests. Nothing contrived or fabricated, just good old personal interaction. Sometimes we agree to be polite to each other but don't find we have enough in common to spend a lot of time together. Usually we have enough going on in our lives that our interests would have to overlap considerably to be able to find the time.

As for having a high opinion of myself, of course I do. Not sure I would enjoy spending time with someone who didn't. If a person has a poor opinion of themselves who am I to disagree with them and value them more than they value themselves?

Edited by villagefarang

are Pakistannis and Bangladeshis included among the "foreigners" you're interested in?

then there are Burmese, Yunnanese, and even Koreans (both English-speaking and not, from north and south, illegal and illegal, etc etc etc - as Youl Brenner said in a movie)

many, many Farang have homes in the CR countryside, often are in their home-country, seldom go to JetYod bars, and don't even know this forum exists.

the immigration poeple apparently do not estimate how many English-speaking Westerners spend a lot of time here -

and no one else really has the capacity. I'd guess, over a 10 year period, you'd find at least 800 who've returned during at least 5 of the years and spent a total of 2. But as I'm not familiar with a lot of the missionaries and golfers, the # could be quite larger - especially if you count folk whose English is fairly minimal...

proper answers to questions often involve understanding of the intended usage of the info

Come on guys, I didn't say I was interested in anyone and Asians includes all Asians, (North, South, East, West, Southeast or whatever.) Should I have included African and Polynesian since I was trying to be inclusive?

These responses just reiterate my reticence toward meeting anyone who haunts these pages.

I have only found one person interesting enough to correspond with in PM or email.

Don't be lonely out there in the village.

Next time you're in town call into my house for a cup of coffee.

friendship.main.GIF

Sure, sounds like a great idea and I'm sure I'll have no problem finding you. After all how hard could it be? We both live in the same region....

In all seriousness that sign of yours is a little scary and overwhelming. Please be gentle, I'm kind of shy.

OK, so I go to members search, toggle more options, and go down the page to location and type in Chiang Rai and I only see one additional name. Coyote guy doesn't show up and his profile clearly says Chiang Rai Scotland. What am I missing? By the way, thanks AjarnP for showing up.

That village looks a bit too 'built up' for my likeing, maybe you should think about moving out into the sticks. ;-)

When the urban press of the village gets to be too much I retreat to that puddle of water (center right) or take off on my mountain bike and try to get lost.