BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
villagefarang

Chiang Rai Member Search Doesn't Turn Up Much.

That village looks a bit too 'built up' for my likeing, maybe you should think about moving out into the sticks. ;-)

When the urban press of the village gets to be too much I retreat to that puddle of water (center right) or take off on my mountain bike and try to get lost.

Try living in Chiangrai in 1987 it was even more remote, the road to Measai from Chinagrai was a dirt road and the now massive Customs Post bridge at Measai to Tachilek was just a rickety wooden bridge.The road from Measai to Chaengsaen was almost impassable and dangerous!

Best Bar at that time was Baitong run by Ken from Australia (Aka Middlesborough) Good Hamburgers at Mr Macs and Napoli Pizzas.

Only 2 Brands of Ice Cream Ducky and a Local one, No 10 Wheel Trucks, No Frozen Food, Plane journeys from BKK were to Chianmgai and the a 30 Seater Shorts Plane journey (Very Scaret) but they never crashed!!

Great entertainment then in Chinagrai Country Roads dancing on the Tables 3 live bands, Beer was 19 baht for Singha and 21 for Nats Piss Kloster prior to Richard Clayd!!!!!the Piano Player from France arriving.Low Kaow was real!

That village looks a bit too 'built up' for my likeing, maybe you should think about moving out into the sticks. ;-)

When the urban press of the village gets to be too much I retreat to that puddle of water (center right) or take off on my mountain bike and try to get lost.

Try living in Chiangrai in 1987 it was even more remote, the road to Measai from Chinagrai was a dirt road and the now massive Customs Post bridge at Measai to Tachilek was just a rickety wooden bridge.The road from Measai to Chaengsaen was almost impassable and dangerous!

Best Bar at that time was Baitong run by Ken from Australia (Aka Middlesborough) Good Hamburgers at Mr Macs and Napoli Pizzas.

Only 2 Brands of Ice Cream Ducky and a Local one, No 10 Wheel Trucks, No Frozen Food, Plane journeys from BKK were to Chianmgai and the a 30 Seater Shorts Plane journey (Very Scaret) but they never crashed!!

Great entertainment then in Chinagrai Country Roads dancing on the Tables 3 live bands, Beer was 19 baht for Singha and 21 for Nats Piss Kloster prior to Richard Clayd!!!!!the Piano Player from France arriving.Low Kaow was real!

Nice little trip down memory lane but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one for whom that is not new information. You would have to go back a lot further than that to impress any of these guys, me included.

I can see this developing into a thread where "well I remember when the Shan invading army was marching across the plains heading down to do battle with ...................." :o

It is interesting however how much cities change.

CB

Google Earth is not very up to date......watch Chiang Rai.... Even the white temple is situated on the wrong place...(minor detail... :D )

We live about 6 km to the south of Chiang Rai (near the old way to Chiang Mai) and don't even think that we notice something familiair in the neighbourhood with Google Earth..... :o

That is correct - I think the images by US law have to be out of date by a couple of years. Still it is interesting to look at the image and realise the amount of change in the area since the image was taken. Whole road systems and subdivisions that only a couple of years ago weren't even peg lines on the ground.

CB

Our place is in Phayao but I was amazed at the amount of detail that Google had there.

Overview of Phayao

ourhouse.jpg

Close Up of our MooBan

ourhouse1.jpg

Google Earth is not very up to date......watch Chiang Rai.... Even the white temple is situated on the wrong place...(minor detail... :D )

We live about 6 km to the south of Chiang Rai (near the old way to Chiang Mai) and don't even think that we notice something familiair in the neighbourhood with Google Earth..... :o

I was (and still am) under the impression that Google Earth takes satellite photos of the earth .. in varying resolutions .. depending on location, etc. So I'm really curious as to how .. "Even the white temple is situated on the wrong place .." this is possible .. unless the temple has been torn down and rebuilt.

If you are talking about the hybrid maps, that's a different issue.

You can add a pointer or photo to GoogleEarth

Many people have done this with the White Temple and have been confused about it's exact location , thus it has appeared in many different places.

I was (and still am) under the impression that Google Earth takes satellite photos of the earth .. in varying resolutions .. depending on location, etc. So I'm really curious as to how .. "Even the white temple is situated on the wrong place .." this is possible .. unless the temple has been torn down and rebuilt.

If you are talking about the hybrid maps, that's a different issue.

I wondered that myself. It looks like it's in the usual spot on my screen.

Many people have done this with the White Temple and have been confused about it's exact location , thus it has appeared in many different places.

Fo clarification, ".. thus it has appeared in many different places." Do you mean to say that it has "appeared to be" in many different places? Or, actually appeared in different places. I can understand a misplaced pointer, but that doesn't relocate the structure in question.

yes, you are right Tayto.

But many have placed it right and call it "Wat Rong Khun".

post-29230-1195393100_thumb.jpg

:o:D:D

yes, you are right Tayto.

But many have placed it right and call it "Wat Rong Khun".

post-29230-1195393100_thumb.jpg

:D:D:D

Looks to be in the same place I saw it last October. :o

Since I started this thread so long ago, there has been a marked increase in the number of visible Chiang Rai residents in the member's list.

I have even overcome some of my reluctance toward meeting others. Ventured out onto the playing field, as it were, though only in the light of day.

From those I have met, it is clear than many still are not listing themselves as living in Chiang Rai.

So here I am breathing life back into this ancient topic, in an effort to get other residents of the Rai to stand up and be counted.

Edited by villagefarang

So here I am breathing life back into this ancient topic, in an effort to get other residents of the Rai to stand up and be counted.

Counted for what ? :D

Are you from the taxdepartment? :)

:D:D:D

Edited by svenivan