Doi Mae Salong

wdrk7

Mae Salong is 1800 meters above the sea level and cool enough for Japanese cherry trees to bloom - as you will see if you come in the right season. The town has Chinese temples, open air bazaars, and shops that offer Chinese specialties as tea and locally grown preserved fruit. There are several little restaurants that offer good southern Chinese food, and even a couple of simple, but clean guest houses. Mae Salong is also a market place for the Lisu and Akha from the surrounding hill tribe villages. For these reasons it is definitely worth spending a few hours in the town, to walk around, savour the special atmosphere, and to enjoy the grandiose mountain panorama.

http://www.inm-asiaguides.com/thailand/nth...grai/ecrdms.htm

also

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t93683.html

Edited by tayto

Dear All ,

i am from Malaysia and planning to go to Doi Mae Salong in Mid Dec 07 . If any members here have any info about this place please reply to my mail here . Thanks . :o

Mae Salong now has a 7-11 .. ATM's, at least one bank, fancy resorts and large oolong tea plantations. Locals go to learn Mandarin .. and the black-chicken soup is outstanding.

Mid December .. take warm clothing.

Mae Salong is 1800 meters above the sea level and cool enough for Japanese cherry trees to

correction :

Mae Salong village is at about 1000 m altitude

but before you get there you sure have more positive altitude difference then 1800 m

shin shane guesthouse is a nice authentic guesthouse , on quiet a large property , they have bungalows also

nice owner speaks good english

Last time I went through there, there was an interesting looking Karaoke place in the main street.

Had the Mrs with me so that's the extent of the report.

Your wife not appreciate your singing talents? :o

CB

She appreciates one of my talents so much she's reluctant to share it with anyone else. :D

Edited by sceadugenga

Last time I went through there, there was an interesting looking Karaoke place in the main street.

Your wife not appreciate your singing talents? :o

CB

She appreciates one of my talents so much she's reluctant to share it with anyone else. :D

Ahh so is it eating, drinking, or the above mentioned singing that is your great talent? :D

CB

Your wife not appreciate your singing talents? :D

CB

Ahh so is it eating, drinking, or the above mentioned singing that is your great talent? :D

CB

I'll tell you when you're older. :o

Your wife not appreciate your singing talents? :D

CB

CB

I'll tell you when you're older. :o

5555555555555555555 I think I need to walk away from this conversation before I have to moderate myself :D

CB

Hello Brothers ,

I am in need of help in the form of info here . Time is ticking and i surely like the karaoke thinggy . At least some entertainment . Anymore info will be very helpful . Thanks . :D

Why only brothers?! :D:D

In case you want a sister share her experience with you, read the following info. :D

A couple of weeks ago I went up there with my family and we found the hills and mountainviews very beautiful. On the way up the Doi, there were many "viewpoints", where you can stop and just have a look around. There is a Oolong tea plantation, where you can see how the bushes grow and the leaves being plucked. We even got invited to see inside the " fabric" , how they dry the leaves and put them in the machines. very interesting.

The place/city Mae Salong is not that big, so I think you'll see it all in2 days. You can also climb up a stair which has 718 steps leading you to a big temple (I can't remember the name of it), but you can see it from far away. It was not open that time, so maybe you can share your experience up there after your visit?

When you go down again, you'll pass a nice natural Chinese square/garden where they have this big restaurant/ karaoke singing place with nice red lanterns and a view down the hill. Here you can order some nice Chinese food. But be aware of what you order......it might be too much money for what you get.

Around the main street there are many tea shops, where you can " try" different kinds of tea. The samples are free when you buy some tea. Very nice to try.

This is about it. A very nice place to be, but I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time. I f I were you, take your family down to the province Chiang Rai, there is so much more to see! Have fun and please tell me what you saw inside the temple would you?

Lilly :o

Hello Brothers ,

I am in need of help in the form of info here . Time is ticking and i surely like the karaoke thinggy . At least some entertainment . Anymore info will be very helpful . Thanks . :D

In case you want a sister share her experience with you, read the following info. :D

A couple of weeks ago I went up there with my family and we found the hills and mountainviews very beautiful. On the way up the Doi, there were many "viewpoints", where you can stop and just have a look around. There is a Oolong tea plantation, where you can see how the bushes grow and the leaves being plucked. We even got invited to see inside the " fabric" , how they dry the leaves and put them in the machines. very interesting.

The place/city Mae Salong is not that big, so I think you'll see it all in2 days. You can also climb up a stair which has 718 steps leading you to a big temple (I can't remember the name of it), but you can see it from far away. It was not open that time, so maybe you can share your experience up there after your visit?

When you go down again, you'll pass a nice natural Chinese square/garden where they have this big restaurant/ karaoke singing place with nice red lanterns and a view down the hill. Here you can order some nice Chinese food. But be aware of what you order......it might be too much money for what you get.

Around the main street there are many tea shops, where you can " try" different kinds of tea. The samples are free when you buy some tea. Very nice to try.

This is about it. A very nice place to be, but I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time. I f I were you, take your family down to the province Chiang Rai, there is so much more to see! Have fun and please tell me what you saw inside the temple would you?

Nice speech Lilly....

Grrrmmmmfff, this is the 3rd time that I try to reply. :o

Yes I was there too, but can't remember, try to push it away .

Did also the walk to the temple (718 steps) and, guess what....closed!

I agree with your opinion about the Chinese Restaurant.....still paying my debts.

I think you are talking about Wat Santikhiri. At the top of the path it is a Chedi (Boromathat) it is not a wat. The stuppa is dedicated to the Last Princess Mother. The wat was uses by the KMT in the old days and has a distinctinve Chinese feel to it. The old temple is dedicated to Kwan Yin who is/was the goddess of compassion and forgiveness. I always thought that an interesting paradox with the KMT standing around in the forecourt.

As far as I remember the Chedi is only opened on special occasions but it is still an interesting site to visit.

CB

Hello Brothers ,

In case you want a sister share her experience with you, read the following info. :bah:

Dear lilly ,

Thanks for the info . Will surely go to the temple and will write back if i could get in . My mistake for the only brothers issue . As for the restaurant , we travel there to try something different from what we have everyday and would like very much to try some local eating place if there is any that you have tried . I have been told that they do have a lot of small fruit and vegi farm around planted by some hill tribes over there up the Doi . Thanks .

Regards ,

Wdrk7 :D

If you don´t want to walk 718 steps t´here is a road going up to the two temples on the top. You will find the road in the southern end of the village.

There you can also fin a museum about KMT. It is very interesting if you are interested in the Thai history.

Do Mae Salong is a beautiful place!

:o:D:D

If you don´t want to walk 718 steps t´here is a road going up to the two temples on the top. You will find the road in the southern end of the village.

There you can also fin a museum about KMT. It is very interesting if you are interested in the Thai history.

Do Mae Salong is a beautiful place!

:o:D:D

Come on....walk the 718 steps....it is easy and worth it! The road is only for lazy people! :D

I went to Doi Mai Salong, and I thought it was one of the most breathtaking places I've seen in Thailand.

There's not that much to do, though. I went to the tea places that line the main street, drank tea and bought tea. If you're walking around at the right time, you can see the workers come to the tea houses and lay down the day's harvest on big white clothes to dry in the sun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info given from helpful members here . Just cae back from Mae salong and the weather there is just great . Nice food , tea and coffee . When i was there , the yearly tea testing festival was also going on . Visitors from all over is there . Cause a jam from meachan up to mea salong . All rooms of all kind is taken up and tents could be seen setted up at all places . Nice experience . Will surely consider staying there .

• 3 months later...

I too would recommend Mr Ho, very friendly guy, and the Shin Sane Guest-House & Bungalows ... excellent value at 200B (single) or 300B (double-occupancy) en-suite Bungalows with satellite-TV , or 50B rooms (shared facilities downstairs) for people on a budget who don't mind a bit of early-morning noise, as people go to the nearby local-market. Their (limited) menu also includes some nice largely-veggie-based dishes. Good place for a longer break away from the heat of the plains.

On access, I've used the yellow song-theaws from Thaton, 60B each way. But the last two times I tried to take a blue song-theaw from Ban Basang, on the Chiang Rai to Mae-Sai road there has been a long long wait, since they refuse to run with less than 8 passengers, which they never quite get. First time I waited from 3pm-5.30pm, before hitching a private ride with a local car, the second time three of us waited from 12am-3.45pm, before having to pay 100B each for a charter for 5 people.

The bottom line is, this route is more interested in ripping you off with a charter, which they constantly try to push you to take, than running a scheduled-service of any kind !

Mr Ho said that the green song-theaw, now running from Mae Chan (a few km south of Basang) via the newer access-road to the south, does however run some sort of occasional schedule, and IME this would be a better choice in future if you're coming from Chiang Rai or Mae Sai.

Edited by Ricardo

• 2 weeks later...

Rent a car from the airport in chiang rai and drive up . It will surely save a lot of hassle .

:o

I too would recommend Mr Ho, very friendly guy, and the Shin Sane Guest-House & Bungalows ... excellent value at 200B (single) or 300B (double-occupancy) en-suite Bungalows with satellite-TV , or 50B rooms (shared facilities downstairs) for people on a budget who don't mind a bit of early-morning noise, as people go to the nearby local-market. Their (limited) menu also includes some nice largely-veggie-based dishes. Good place for a longer break away from the heat of the plains.

On access, I've used the yellow song-theaws from Thaton, 60B each way. But the last two times I tried to take a blue song-theaw from Ban Basang, on the Chiang Rai to Mae-Sai road there has been a long long wait, since they refuse to run with less than 8 passengers, which they never quite get. First time I waited from 3pm-5.30pm, before hitching a private ride with a local car, the second time three of us waited from 12am-3.45pm, before having to pay 100B each for a charter for 5 people.

The bottom line is, this route is more interested in ripping you off with a charter, which they constantly try to push you to take, than running a scheduled-service of any kind !

Mr Ho said that the green song-theaw, now running from Mae Chan (a few km south of Basang) via the newer access-road to the south, does however run some sort of occasional schedule, and IME this would be a better choice in future if you're coming from Chiang Rai or Mae Sai.

• 2 months later...

Thai officials are going around villages encouraging them to joint the Homestay program . Every villages could have three operators and the tourist board will help them get people to come . Offer rate starting from 100 thb to 200 thb per night . Tradisional food starting at 50thb to 100 thb per person . It will be nice to have more of these homestay around as last year tea testing festival alot of visitors have to stay in tents as all are full and some poor guys have to make the trip down at night as there is not enough places to sleep . Cheers .

Today in our village , we try to form a cooperation for the whole village of 500 plus people mosly from the akha people . Income from the homestay program and sales of handicraft will go back to the village to help the less fortunate . Good respond and hope to get some help from members here to come and stay . Pm me if anyone is interested . We are offering whole package including picking up from the CR airport . Any enquiries are welcome . Thanks in advance .

Today in our village , we try to form a cooperation for the whole village of 500 plus people mosly from the akha people . Income from the homestay program and sales of handicraft will go back to the village to help the less fortunate . Good respond and hope to get some help from members here to come and stay . Pm me if anyone is interested . We are offering whole package including picking up from the CR airport . Any enquiries are welcome . Thanks in advance .

ok , good idea

just don ' t expect too much of it , it is introduced at many places before ,

like ( San Khampaeng mountains : www.mae-kampong.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=394953 ) ,

i think not many Akha speak some english overthere ,

for sure when i visit , i will support your program and not stay at shin shane gh ,

no need to pick me up , i ride bicycle everywhere , .. , when i get back in shape ???