Hydroponic Farming

MudDoc

Hello thescot, Nice to see what others are doing, I wish mine were doing as good

as yours, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have a vision problem, and know I need to recheck several times when I read and

try to make my nutes. I used the epson salt numbers from the new WESCO formula

with the old formula. I have pruned all the anchos back to stalks almost, and back

to using the right numbers, 70 days, poof. Hard lesson learned.

Working like mad to get the new transplanted(3 weeks ago) ready to move into the

rows and clip them up.

#1. some of the FUBAR plants.

#2. some of the fruit the fruit I saved and ate.

#3. some jal's that were also affected, and the pruned anchos in the white bags behind.

The #4 and #5 pictures, are from the new transplants, the #4 is OP-ancho, #5 is hybird,

Ancho-211Hyb. They were seeded the 'same day' in the 'same tray substrate', grew next

to each other on the bench, so got watered and diluted nutes till they were transplanted.

They were transplanted on the same day, into bags of coir that was rinsed several times

in water and and soaked with nutes,(the right mix) before transplanting and more nutes.

This was not something I planed to do, but so far there is something in the Hyb's corner.

Now I will keep some more notes on their progress.

rice555

post-37242-1263153408_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263153459_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263153610_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263153672_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263153754_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry to butt in if I am, but what would the cost of a hydroponics system to feed a family of 4?

Or would it be more economically feasible to have a set up that feeds a multiple family of lets say 10 people?

I know it would probably depends on various factors which I cannot even begin to list with no expertise but is it any way to possibly give a general estimation?

20K baht? or more then 100K baht?

I would like to grow general vegetables, maybe some green stuff like lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach etc. Some where in the range of 5-7 different types.

My intentions is to be able to feed my family organic, non pesticide used vegetables or would it just make sense to buy from a local grocery store instead?

I did some hydroponic stuff in college but only stuff that a 19 year would do it for.

Edited by tangcoral

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, newbie here to hydroponics; question, what does DFT, E & F, NFT translate to? I'm in process of building an ebb and flow system.

Other than terms and abbreviations I don't know; this is a great thread, thanks.

Hi Rice and the other farmers on the forum,

wasn't sure whereto post this ....... I'm a brit who has lived here for 25 years and I've noticed small hydroponic commercial gardens springing up around Minburi area.

Am now thinking about researching this (commercially growing certain veg such as lettuces etc) and I think the big supermarkets would take them on a regular basis, providing the standards were met.

Just wondered if you or any of the other foreign farmers have any constructive advice for a beginner?

I would not try the commercial growing until you have a firm grasp on the basics. About 2 years ago here (Chonburi/Pattaya) you would only see one supplier in the supermarkets and now there is at least 8-10 different suppliers of hydro veg in the different outlets. It can be expensive to start and set up but easy to maintain once you've done so. Were talking around the 20bht mark here for a lettuce (hydro) and i would estimate that to sell to a super market you would get half of that. Take into account the costs of chemicals, electricity, seeds, etc etc the returns would be small unless you go very large commercially. There is already a few very large growers around who have the mass market already. All competition would do is drive the price lower making it even more less profitable.

Only a suggestion ..... i would do more homework and research into the demand in your area and to the amounts that you could sell in an average week/month. Then look at the costs involved in setting up and maintaining the hydro growing system you choose. This should give you a better idea of whether to grow commercially.

The attached pic is a thai veg set-up which only cost a few thousand baht and can accomodate 550 lettuce / veg.

Hope this is of some help. Just to add that if there is hydro growers already popping up around your area then it may be worth checking out what they are growing for and at what price as your idea may have some competition

Good luck

post-28386-1271413358_thumb.jpg

I would not try the commercial growing until you have a firm grasp on the basics. About 2 years ago here (Chonburi/Pattaya) you would only see one supplier in the supermarkets and now there is at least 8-10 different suppliers of hydro veg in the different outlets. It can be expensive to start and set up but easy to maintain once you've done so. Were talking around the 20bht mark here for a lettuce (hydro) and i would estimate that to sell to a super market you would get half of that. Take into account the costs of chemicals, electricity, seeds, etc etc the returns would be small unless you go very large commercially. There is already a few very large growers around who have the mass market already. All competition would do is drive the price lower making it even more less profitable.

Only a suggestion ..... i would do more homework and research into the demand in your area and to the amounts that you could sell in an average week/month. Then look at the costs involved in setting up and maintaining the hydro growing system you choose. This should give you a better idea of whether to grow commercially.

The attached pic is a thai veg set-up which only cost a few thousand baht and can accomodate 550 lettuce / veg.

Hope this is of some help. Just to add that if there is hydro growers already popping up around your area then it may be worth checking out what they are growing for and at what price as your idea may have some competition

Good luck

Many thanks the scot,

I will do just that

Bangsai is totally crap. Good web site and book available in the shops but there place is hard to find and very run down.

If your looking for a system to buy then try Fresh Garden Hydroponics in BKK. They sell full kits or the individual parts if you want to build yourself

If your looking for a system to buy then try Fresh Garden Hydroponics in BKK. They sell full kits or the individual parts if you want to build yourself

Cheers, I'll give them a look.

How far down soi 38 are they (walk from BTS?).

• 4 weeks later...

KU garden stroe near JJ market sells it in small quantities. Cant help you with a price. The Carefour (spelling) supermarket here in Pattaya used to sell it so if you have one close then it may be worth trying.

KU garden stroe near JJ market sells it in small quantities. Cant help you with a price. The Carefour (spelling) supermarket here in Pattaya used to sell it so if you have one close then it may be worth trying.

Cheers scottie. I don't suppose you could help with simple directions to KU, the Google maps reference is carp and they don't seem to have a website :)

Attached is a google map showing KU garden centre with the yellow pointer. If driving they have ample parking space.

There is a web site but only in thai so if you have a friend that can read thai then it would help also because they have a second store which may be nearer to your location but i havn't been there yet.

Across the road towards JJ markey they have many small outlets selling various gardening bits and bobs .....maybe worth a look.

Hope it helps

post-28386-1274263530_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question.

Anyone using the Bangsai nutrients?

I'm having trouble with the instructions, still confused even after the Missus talked to Bangsai.

So.

Do I mix A at 200:1 and B at 200:1 ending up with 400 of mix

OR

Do I mix A at 200:1 then add B some time later to the mixed A ending up with 200 of mix.

YES :)

Cheers scottie, exactly the answer I expected :D

We're trying both with little success, simple lettuce bubbler, seedlings seem to get going ok then just shrivel up, I was suspecting too strong nutrients but even with the 200 + 200 the plants just don't seem happy :D

Hello Crossy, are you using a meter to adjust your EC?

It's not just the 200:1, but the tweeking to get the EC & ph right.

Good luck with the salad, I've never grown any.

rice555

Hi rice. No meter at present, we were hoping to get started without to much complex kit, maybe once we get something to actually grow! I just fancied fresh salad.

I'm beginning to wonder if we have duff seeds, usually anything Wifey plants goes rampant :)

''Cheers scottie, exactly the answer I expected ''

Well a thanks would have gone down well after searching and posting the map for your earlier post!! I was only trying to pull your chain with the ''yes'' :) ?

I don't expect you to read all the previous treads but i had exactly the same problems when i started and bought some ACK nutrients. With some help from Rice5555 and others i got it right. Although i have never used Bangsai nutes i would estimate a good guess that your 'A' will mix 200 and the 'B' giving you a total of 400. Just get your tank capacity do a little math and add the correct amount of 'A' & 'B' or mix up 200 of each and fill your tank with 50/50.

Even when i got the mix right the lettuce growth was iffy. After Rice555 advised me to get an EC meter and a PH test kit i tested the original recommended mix and it was way off. I adjusted the PH nad EC to match the required amount and the lettuce grows like crazy.

SEEDS .... i have bought from ACK and Fresh Gardens and they seem to be far superior to the seeds from the UK and the local garden places around here. I now mix my own nutrients and even sell the stuff locally as some of the growers here had problems. To buy and mix your own is costly but if your in it for the long run or do hydro on a bigger scale then you can save $$$$$$

Thescot

I did add the smilie :) Actually I assumed that you (or others) had similar issues leading to the 'yes' response.

I remember reading something about confusion with the mix which is why I posted. I suppose I'll have to go the tech way and get the meters. I was hoping that a professionally (hmmm TiT) supplied mix would be pretty close when the directions were followed (or at least close enough to allow things to grow).

Seeds came from Bangsai.

A belated cheers for the map.

The best meter is the Bluelab and Fresh gardens have them but around 6k i think. I found fresh gardens PH kit (home made) gave different readings to the normal kit i get from ACK (made by Kaset Uni) 350bht. I have never used a PH meter due to the cost, the need for callibration and replacement parts (according to various forums etc) and find the cheap test kits work great.

good luck

Cheers, I think we're going to need the luck, everything we try just rolls over and dies Wifey is becoming disheartened. :)

The seedlings we had in the weaker nutes also died off so it's meter time, I wonder if the Bangsai mix is just carp. Wifey has no problems making anything grow in soil (even the sticks for holding up plants get leaves).

6k is a lot of investment for a few lettuce, are the cheap meters ok for hobby use?

I'll have a look in Fresh Gardens next time I'm in BKK (they're quite near the office) hopefully they'll have something that works reasonably well at a price that won't break the bank.

YES :)

Cheers scottie, exactly the answer I expected :D

We're trying both with little success, simple lettuce bubbler, seedlings seem to get going ok then just shrivel up, I was suspecting too strong nutrients but even with the 200 + 200 the plants just don't seem happy :D

Hello Crossy,

I have never posted here before, but have been reading posts on and off for two years,, I am a hydroponic grower in Aust. in far nth. QLD, your mix of A and B nutients need to be of equal amounts, your PH, must be right for what you are intending to grow, and your EC must be correct,, temp : ambient temp and water temp play a big part in the equation,, but as a general rule, if you are getting tip burn, back off your EC, monitoring of your solution is a must,also the plants you are trying to grow need to suit the conditions you are growing them in,,, things to remember are when it is a hot day, your plants are looking for water, not nutrient, also the warmer the nutrient the less oxegen, and an often overlooked addative to nutrient soloution is oxegen, plants need alot of it at the root zone in an NFT set up, :jap:Just my tow bobs worth, cheers

having now read a lot .. and been to see a few farms we're ready to try some NFT farming on a few rai

I'm in 2 minds on self build DIY or buying the setup from one of the BKK suppliers or even a bit of mix and match..

what's puzzling me at the moment is many of the things I've read say square gullies are the only way

quote from something i found

"One of the biggest mistakes “not the only one though” is using oval guttering for your homemade NFT system, as the very nature of this system is to have a film of water “between 1mm & 3mm” over a fairly wide surface area, so as you can see, so using a round water gully is somewhat pointless."

however in books such as how to hydroponics by keith roberto it says round pipes are just as good.

the other thing is i know one of the main suppliers outside of bkk does a seminar every month all about hydroponics (i assume to encourage you to buy there kit)

as farangs cannot be a farmer anyway (only a consultant ?) can we go to the seminar with our wives and listen or are we reliant upon her in doors summing up the 8 hour session in a 3 minute conversation after the act