Will Nova (Japan) Bankruptcy Affect Thailand?

klikster

True- and Nova's been headed downhill there for quite a while- but several other schools have also gone out of business. I'd be afraid that surviving schools will use this as a stick to bludgeon their employees into submission- "accept what we offer you or we'll go the same way Nova did."

If it leads to an eventual shortage of schools and teachers which raises salaries there (which have been stuck at the lower end of legal for years) that would be good, but tough times for the moment.

I don't think many of them will come here- it's a big, expensive jump (at least in terms of taking another few years to find a DECENT job- though if you were working for NOVA in Japan in the first place you didn't have that) and- believe it or not- qualification requirements are higher here!

"S"

You might see a trickle, but that is about it. I did some teaching in Nippon in 1991. Great work, pay, and fringe benefits, if you know what i mean!! Nippon is such a trend country. Maybe learning conversation is out of fashion? As a whole, those of Nippon citizenship don't emigrate; thai citizens as well. The current salary in Nippon is atrocious. The bare minimum should be 270,000 yen per month. Now, they get young kids kids fresh out of university( in debt) at 180,000 to 200,000. You must pay for your apartment and utilities. Everything is so expensive. My last trip to Osaka was in 2003 and a hundred dollars didn't even cover dinner and a night out drinking beer in a yakitori bar. Generally, people are of a different nature who work in North-east Asia, compared with those who work in South-east Asia. True,there is some cross pollanation, but it is a small amount.