Hdtv

MadFrankie

I would not bother just now... Thai Soaps are bad enough on a normal TV can you imagine them on a big screen HDTV!!

Seriously I'm waiting for the LCD TV's to come down. I'd be using it mainly for DVDs too.

If you do decide to buy one DO NOT get a plasma set. Too many plasma screens have problems with the gas inside leaking after 2 years or so and they either stop working or the picture deteriorates. That's not something they tell you in the shops!

UBC certainly does not broadcast in HD, why would they bother upgrading since maybe less then 1% of their subscribers own a HDTV...They would need a big upgrade in bandwith on the sattelite transponders they lease to cover the extra megabits to be streamed to you...

Nevertheless it's the only provider which gives decent quality (image that is, not neceserally programming!!!) Guess it's roughly the same as standard DVD bitrate...

I got one unit last week , new definition of watching a movie ...

UBC came to change the analogue for a digital box , happy with the result .

monthly cost are 60 bahts extra .

Some will go for satelite

Movies DVD 9 are the one to watch and no need to remind you how cheap they came be here ( sapanlek ) ....but so illegal

first i ring them and I ask them about satellite , but already paid 1 years subscription and that was not good for me as i will have a new billing , and keep two systems will cost me two monthly fees . Then someone else ring me and said they have digital decoder for cable.

got it and it is good , a friend told me same as satellite .

I suggest ring them back and ask to them about the new system .

the analogue are Atlanta something ... the digital cable decoder are Catv .. ADB , he has a lot more of function in it .

The details of the new digital cable tv system were in the UBC magazine a few months back. Basically, it's the cable tv system (same line) but with digital menus like the satellite system. This allows you to check schedules, set favorites, set alarms, see program titles, etc. etc. It costs a little more per month than the standard cable. If you want to change, give UBC a call. However, I don't know if there is any difference in the picture quality.

From what I've seen of high-end TVs, the TVs that give the most realistic picture (to the point that I think I'm seeing a live feed from a video camera) are Philips TVs that have DNM. Only one plasma screen, a high end 29" CRT and a high end 34" CRT have this feature.

http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/tvmenu.htm have some models , i went for a samsung plasma , not sure what you looking for .

if you go to HomePro they have catalogues ( sony , Samsung , pioneer ) with a lot of different models

as i said happy with it , but for the price was expected to be ...

price can be drop by 10% too ( not in Central or Hompro )

bye

http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/tvmenu.htm  have some models , i went for a samsung plasma , not sure what you looking for .

if you go to HomePro they have catalogues ( sony , Samsung , pioneer )  with a lot of different models

as i said happy with it , but for the price was expected to be ...

price can be drop by 10% too ( not in Central or Hompro )

bye

where r u from if you dont mind me asking, they would only offer me a 5% discount :o

I am French madfrankie .

it is true the sinsiam people give me too 5 % , one other similar business find in the internet give me 7% for the sony, but I can’ not find the link again , I think they are in silom complex top floor .

I got mine directly from a Samsung guy .

Look at this link if you want for his number .

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailmarket/ArticlesforSale.shtml

I got about 20% reduction but did not want the home theater .it is a staff purchase.

Word of advice if your planning on buying from http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/tvmenu.htm on silom road near the BTS.

Recived delivery of a TV/Home Theatre system yesterday evening, within 2 hours the home theatre had packed in, 100% manufacturers fault and not theres I know, BUT. They say I have to take it to the shop to have it looked @. Is this the usual protocol in thailand? I countered by saying that I would be filing for a refund from my CC company for defective goods if they didnt sort it out @ my home, now awaiting a phonecall. Do their engineers not have legs?

Surely this cant be right, what would have happened if it was the TV that packed in? They would have expected me to take a 40" TV to the shop to have it looked @?

Avoid these people, complete pi55 takers from what I can gather :D

The other thing they did, was convince me to travel to the shop to pay for the items promising same day delivery if I did, upon arrival I was told they never had it in stock and I would have to wait till the following day, so that was another 2 hours these jokers wasted.... :o

Madfrankie

Sorry for that, I did only ring them for a price in the past!!

Did not buy anything from them.

Sure a pressure of canceling your credit card is appropriated..

I will ring the maker in Bangkok if I was you to explain the situation …

Anyway they have to give you a new system, not try to fix it …

Hope you did resolve your problems .

If you have the digital cable decoder, the connection I find the best was to use ( buy ) a S-VHS cable and heavy cable for the left and right stereo audio.

In menu / setup / other option I change the screen size from 4/3 to 16/9 .

For the dvd player I use the component connection with 5 cables to the television .

Just got back from my weekly visit to Fortune.

Had a near-religious experience today when I saw the new BenQ 26" Widescreen LCD TV.

Has anybody got one? I was very very tempted to get one. At 69k it's ALMOST affordable and worth the mother of all arguments with the wife :o

I'm going to wait a week and try to find some reviews on this baby - it has a response time of 16ms - is that good?

It would be a perfect space spacer in the bedroom cos I can use it as my DVD screen, PC/Internet screen , and all my consoles will look even better as I could play them in progresssive scan.

I can see that i am clearly talking myself into buying this!

At lot of information and reviews of HDTV technology are coming out in the USA because (in theory) all our broadcasts are supposed to fully change over to DTV (either HDTV or EDTV) (high or medium resolution) by 2006 or 2007.

What I can tell you from personal experience is to be careful of any plasma display TV. They give a beautiful picture when new, but they run hot and are not necessarily long-lived things. Also, they develop "burn-in". For example, if you watch a channel that has a brand logo superimposed on the picture - if you watch that channel long enough the brang logo will "burn-in". :o

I really want an HDTV but the marketing approach being used rivals that of the infamous $99 suit tailors in BKK. They will lie to you. You might think you are buying an HDTV only later to find out you really just bought a MONITOR, and its not capable of anything beyond 480 or 720 lines resolution. (Not really HDTV to me.)

Please do careful research unless you have money to burn....... :D

kenk3z

Agree completely about the Plasma HDTVs. A friend of mine back in the UK works as a manger in an electronics superstore and he warned me off them.

The BenQ is a purely LCD HDTV, not plasma. If it was plasma I would not consider it.

Hope you did resolve your problems .

If you have the digital cable decoder, the connection I find the best was to use ( buy ) a S-VHS cable and heavy cable for the left and right stereo audio.

In menu / setup / other option I change the screen size from 4/3 to 16/9 .

For the dvd player I use the component connection with 5 cables to the television .

cheers for the help, once I had told them I wanted a refund there was someone round here with a new one within an hour :o

They tryed to make out it was my fault for not earthing it, but soon shut up when I pointed out that it was their engineers that installed/set it up the previous day :D

• 1 year later...
BenQ LCD 32" TV's are pretty good, we stock them at the moment - Suggested RRP is 69,990.

Yep had mine for over a year now and it's my main PC monitor, & Home Theatre TV

Fantastic value for money IMHO

Xbox games look great in HDTV mode... Just waiting for the Xbox 360 (all games to run in 720p WS!)

Got to be careful though I just saw a 30" BenQ LCD for sale in Powerbuy for 89,990 baht - WHich is BenQ's price from last year.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to teh X-Box 360 and HD DVD's.

BTW are you running a DVI DVD player to your Benq, The Soken DVI player is great at 5,990 baht (Its called the Oppo in the USA), but your probably using your PC I'm guessing.