W/p Refused!

omlagus

Today a foreigner who i work with was refused her W/P by the Labour Dep. because her daughter is on her passport. She has a Non Imm B, so why wasn't she told that she would get refused. This seems 'typical of Thailand'. Nobody tells you and nobody really knows!

Could you give more information? What kind of job was she refused for, what's the school name, do they have other foreign teachers already or is this the first time they've tried to get a WP, how old is the daughter, what nationality, etc., etc.? I've never heard of this situation before but I have known people working as teachers here with children, so I doubt this is the problem in itself.

"Steven"

To be honest, i've just found out that she has had a lot of problems with Immigration in the last year,............................ for being French. Even the 'Amphur' and 'Tetsa Baan' has given both her and her husband(Thai) grief. One of them turned around and said, "it serves you right for marrying a French woman."

Hmm.....Thailand.

Today a foreigner who i work with was refused her W/P by the Labour Dep. because her daughter is on her passport. She has a Non Imm B, so why wasn't she told that she would get refused. This seems 'typical of Thailand'. Nobody tells you and nobody really knows!

Just go to a different official.

Thailand is like that. Ten officials will give you a hard time and tell you something can't be done, but the 11th guy will pass you through without a blink.

Just tell her to be patient, try again, and DO NOT get emotional. If she treats the whole issue as "no big deal", she'll get a much better response out of the official.

But if she blows up and starts berating the official, then forget about it.

By the way, why would being French matter? Is there bad blood between Thai officials and French people?

Other than a quaint--but annoying--tendency to think their opinions actually matter, the French aren't so bad. It could be worse. She could be French-CANADIAN, then there'd be no help for her. :o

She's getting a passport for her daughter and then re-applying for her permit with the help from the school.

Personally, i think it's farang in general but you know what they are like................

I've seen different nationalities other than Brits & Americans get more hassle at border points but who knows why!