How To Wear A Sarong?

khaojao

basically it works this way: wrap style gives your sarong a tighter, sleeker fit and shows off a sexy silhouette. To wrap your sarong, first hold it horizontally behind you. Fold one side tightly around your body and hold it. Pull the other side of the fabric straight out from your hip and make sure it is as taut as possible. Wrap this side around your body, taking care to keep it tight around your hips. To secure the wrap, tuck approximately three inches of the top layer into the bottom layer.

First thing to note is that it is sewn into a tube shape.

Samuian has the right idea about the folding but alot of women will pull a bit of fabric out from the inside fold and twist it together with the top corner, then tuck it in. My mom-in-law often wears a small belt and folds it down around the belt as an added security.

It's important that it's sewn into a tube as SBK says. get into the tube, breathe in (suck your tummy in, an hold the fabric tight on the tummy with the left hand then pull the rest out to the right, then bring it in, over the tummy and tuck... should stay on fine. i was once adjusting mine in a restaurant full of men and let it slip... :o

thanks for the tips... ok i think ive figured out my problem. i'm quite petite and sarongs are normally oversized. when i tried folding them from right to left, it doubles over and pulls tight and i end up not being able to squat / sit on the floor hahaha...

is it considered rude to wear the sarong short? as in, about 2 inches below the knee? sorry i need to check coz i'll be in an environment with more conservative seniors.

thanks again

EDIT : forgot to mention, i need to be able to move comfortably in the sarong coz i'll be moving around with the villagers :o thanks!

Edited by khaojao

i need to find out how to wear a traditional sarong. not the hybrid type u wear over bikinis at the beach but the type that villagers wear. how do they keep that thing up???

can some kind lady advise? thanks :o

Why 'Lady Advise' ?? I have lots and wear them 90% of the time for years

Ignis, men's sarongs are called Pah kama and are worn and tied differently :o

Had no idea always do them the same.... wrap around and tuck approximately three inches of the top layer into the bottom layer..

How do I tie a man's sarong ? + does it make a difference as i am 50" all the way down

Had no idea there was a difference so maybe I am not buying the correct ones ? buy off the local Markets

Edited by ignis

i just sew down the seam a few centimeters (take the material in just sew it all the way down and then cut off the spare. i did this in thailand much to the amusement of the women since i did it hand sewing. (why pay money to a seamstress to do a straight line). i am also thin, so had the same, doubled sarong (patung/paa sin) problem: btw, if u fold them , sort of roll the waist line over itself, they dont fall down and kids cant pull them off, i know, ive experimented. if they are too long, i just double the top end of the tube into itself before i do the right to left rolled waist line thing...

i wear after work, change from my usual jeans /work shirts stuff to paa sin and short sleeve or long sleeve t shirt. in winter i wear yoga style training type pants (a particular 'look' for some sects of the religious women here: pants under long skirts), its warm and comfy.

i brought some for my sister, mom, and friends and taught them all to do the roll waist thing but they all use safety pins as 'backup'.

i have a few 'work' patungs (the cheaper ones) and two more decorative, expensive types (flowers pink or blue with gold colouring) plus a hand made lao silk one that is huge on me (given as gift).

bina

Ignis, men's sarongs are called Pah kama and are worn and tied differently :o

Had no idea always do them the same.... wrap around and tuck approximately three inches of the top layer into the bottom layer..

How do I tie a man's sarong ? + does it make a difference as i am 50" all the way down

Had no idea there was a difference so maybe I am not buying the correct ones ? buy off the local Markets

Well, the main thing is men's sarongs are not sewn into a tube but left as one long piece, so most of the men I know twist the ends together (after wrapping) and then tuck.

Beach lady was flocking sarongs when I was in Barbados.. lady made a sarong into 10 diff looks. It was quite impressive and no I didnt buy the sarong. :o

Well, you've got more resolve than me because I bought like a million of them.

Well, the main thing is men's sarongs are not sewn into a tube but left as one long piece, so most of the men I know twist the ends together (after wrapping) and then tuck.

When I was living here many years ago, 1968-69 actually, I lived in a small village and always wore a sarang and it was tubed. Very likely I was wearing my girl friend's sarang it would seem. :D After too many close calls, I also started using a belt and rolled the top down around it. :o

i found that it was wise to take a patung with me travelling since peeing in the woods, or in a thai toilet it is much easier with a sarong then in pants; and in the house, combat, so 'she' can air out a bit, much healthier in humid areas.

belts: thai womens belts are thin chain things that are meant as fashion accessories not thick leather jeans belts... i dont see the need. they really dont fall down if u do it correctly. i know, i've had to run after my dogs while wearing one when i take out the dogs in the morning before i get ready for work. in the beginning was afraid that it would fall down on me in the middle of the kibbutz lawn...

wait a minute...i think i'm folding is over wrong, maybe that's why i'm getting the life-saver around the waist hmmm...

u tuck IN and not OUT? does that mean that the belt is visible? what i did was to hold the sarong with my left hand, fold over with my right (the sarong normally goes round the front almost til my left butt cheek, secure with a belt, then fold the top 3 inches down OVER the belt.

that's wrong, right??

God I wish I could just show you :o It won't fall off if you do it properly. So ... into the tube, then (if you are right handed) breathe in (this is the important bit cos by breathing out once it's on it stays on) then pull it flat across your stomach holding the rest of the material tight and out to the right. Then bring the right hand over the stomach until it's all flat and tight and then tuck down twice. It should not look like a life saver and will stay on through virtually anything!!!

no, its tucked out but thai women have this way of pulling part of the tucked over part out so it lays flatter; i always have a bit of /tube cause i'me quite small but u can also find smaller paa sin, u just have to look and open or sew them after...

• 10 years later...