Phetchabun

scotty123456789

Hi, my wife to be lives in a town called wichienburi in petchabun and im wondering if anyone knows of a pub/bar and restaurant in wichienburi.

Been to wichienburi twice to be with my girl but can see theres nothing realy much to do.

I am due back again in a few week, and want to know of a bar or some sort, where I can relax, have a few beers :o , and go to eat at a nice restaurant.

Hope you can help, just sick of the sticky rice and cans of chang sat outside her home.

Scotty............

:o Sounds like a small village outside Phechabun. Your probably living a lot like me. I live in a small village outside Lopburi. When your the only farang around, you pretty much have to provide your own entertainment. I normally walk down to the little grocery store/snack shop, take a portable cd player, drink a couple of beers and listen to my own music. I've been here a year, and now have a small following, listening to my music and trying to chat with me. My Thai is limited, but we get along. Get used to the feeling of being a monkey in the zoo. Thai's outside the main area's where farangs gather, don't really know how to deal with you. That's ok, cause I don't know how to deal with them either. :D Just be polite and smile alot and you'll get along.

Hello, as you have visited Wichienburi twice you will know that it is a sizable Thai town with a very good market area. The Thai police chief informed me recently that there are over 300 farangs that live or have built homes in Amphur Wichien.

I usually see a few on my weekly bank runs into town. If you take a ride out into the villages you will see some fairly impressive farang houses too.

I gather night life is minimal apart from a few collections of Karaoke/girly bars on the edge of town, though primarily for Thai's I know of a few ex pats who go there to chat up the girls!

Past the market (north part of town) there is now a supermarket/ electric goods shop and behind is a clean open air swimming pool with good bar & restaurant. Nice to spend a hot afternoon there.

Wichien is obviously not like your islands & Blackpool by the sea (Pattaya), all around here is agricultural and the locals go to bed early.

There are a bunch of farangs who meet up every Thursday (1100am ish), nice bunch and you can get some good info from them on eating places etc. For some reason all these boys want to be amateur farmers and you may get a little tired of the talk about buffalo tractors/rice cutting and how the 'ducks are doing'.

I live in a small town just south of Wichien, a few Brits and Swiss here, but no bars but look up Mrs Moons shop and you will soon find us on most nights.

Edited by phutoie2

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys :

Welll now that I have left Issan Buriram :

And am now staying with my mate and his wife in bantok ;

Have to find my way around the area now doubt I will in time start a Petchabun information Topic as I did for Buriram

hi guys :

Welll now that I have left Issan Buriram :

And am now staying with my mate and his wife in bantok ;

Have to find my way around the area now doubt I will in time start a Petchabun information Topic as I did for Buriram

Cheers for that, do you breed those German sheperds?? I am looking for a good pet/guard dog. This was after my electric water pump motor was stolen. Advice from police- 'get a dog!!'

Hi well I am new to this area: But got farang friends in the area will make some enquiries :

As you know I got a lovely GSD but he is in Buriram with my ex :

I am told there is a bar in Petchabun owned by a farang any ideas :

Your looking for a good dog and I am looking for a good lady hahaha

macb, I live in 110 km south of Petchabun city, but play golf at the big army barracks on Highway 21 as you enter the city from the south, its called Battle Horse golf club. There are local ex-pats, a good 10-15 who meet up at 1000 am every Tuesday and Friday. They all seem to know a lot about Petch, so may be able to help you with your search!!.

I do know this that opposite the Army barracks Tesco Lotus are building a very large supermarket and Big C likewise next door. In the early days of construction but it seems like it is a booming city and I will switch my monthly Tesco shop from Saraburi to Petchabun when all is built.

macb, I live in 110 km south of Petchabun city, but play golf at the big army barracks on Highway 21 as you enter the city from the south, its called Battle Horse golf club. There are local ex-pats, a good 10-15 who meet up at 1000 am every Tuesday and Friday. They all seem to know a lot about Petch, so may be able to help you with your search!!.

I do know this that opposite the Army barracks Tesco Lotus are building a very large supermarket and Big C likewise next door. In the early days of construction but it seems like it is a booming city and I will switch my monthly Tesco shop from Saraburi to Petchabun when all is built.

Well where I am staying at my mates is about 4 k south of there (Bantock) I know the barracks and the construction sites :

Well I have not played golf for many years and when I did well thats another story :o

Next Sunday I am off to Pattaya for 4 days : PM for mobile number

Mac

Edited by Totster
REmoved mobile number at op's request - Admin

We're about 1/2-way between P'lok and Phetch and I go by the Army Barracks all the time when coming in over the mountains and through Wang Chumpu. I always wondered if the public was allowed to play there. Do you have any details on who to contact to arrange to play there, or is it just generally pay and play any time? Cheers.

Spee, yes its easy to just turn up and play, avoid Wednesdays (sports day) & weekends. If you go to Thai visa golf forum I have put some info on there. Titled - 'Battle Horse Golf Club.

My neighbour and I now go and play twice a month, with another trip to a quality course at Narai Hill sandwiched in between (Thongchai Jaidee's course).

Edited by phutoie2

there is a big dam about 10 kilometres out of town. It is not easy to find the entrance, I always end up at the dam's administration complex, but finally I make it to the shore.

It has several simple restaurants built up in a way that you can't see much of the reservoir. Out of one restaurant steps a sexy Thai lady and smiles "Hello mister, you come alone khaa?" Who'd expect bargirl talk in the boondocks west of Phetchabun? She seems fun and anglophone, so I opt for a lemon juice there. When I sit down with her, a bearded Italian joins us and explains all of Thailand to me. He seems to be her boyfriend, as he explains all of his Thai girl to me too. Funny, she talks some Italian: she is able to finish a Thai or English sermon with an Italian "Capito?" I always felt that Italians and Thais have quite something in common: in terms of temperament, care for style and good food as well as in their nationalism and unsavoury corporate governments. This delightful Thai lady would fit perfectly into a piazza in Milano or Urbino, checking tomatoes on the market or chatting away with the neighbours.

While Miss Thai-Italian is obviously not available for me, they have a fat shy Lao girl on the premises and I am told that she would definitely like a western boyfriend. There is one more young Thai man; he is completely built up like a lady with a lot of make-up and jewellery. The italophone Thai girl explains to me: "She has hot dog, but she wants to be lady. She wants to take you to Oasis disco tonight." Uiuiui, well sorry, I already have an appointment, khaw thot khrap, ciao amici. Darkness has set in by now, and I bounce back to town.

Another dam I have been too a few times not far from Petchabun it is a very large reservoir called 'Ba Dang Dam' restaurant there but did not catch any fish, not sure if this is the same dam that Macleod 101 went to, you go over a bridge to gain access to the car-park

there is a big dam about 10 kilometres out of town. It is not easy to find the entrance, I always end up at the dam's administration complex, but finally I make it to the shore.

It has several simple restaurants built up in a way that you can't see much of the reservoir. Out of one restaurant steps a sexy Thai lady and smiles "Hello mister, you come alone khaa?" Who'd expect bargirl talk in the boondocks west of Phetchabun? She seems fun and anglophone, so I opt for a lemon juice there. When I sit down with her, a bearded Italian joins us and explains all of Thailand to me. He seems to be her boyfriend, as he explains all of his Thai girl to me too. Funny, she talks some Italian: she is able to finish a Thai or English sermon with an Italian "Capito?" I always felt that Italians and Thais have quite something in common: in terms of temperament, care for style and good food as well as in their nationalism and unsavoury corporate governments. This delightful Thai lady would fit perfectly into a piazza in Milano or Urbino, checking tomatoes on the market or chatting away with the neighbours.

While Miss Thai-Italian is obviously not available for me, they have a fat shy Lao girl on the premises and I am told that she would definitely like a western boyfriend. There is one more young Thai man; he is completely built up like a lady with a lot of make-up and jewellery. The italophone Thai girl explains to me: "She has hot dog, but she wants to be lady. She wants to take you to Oasis disco tonight." Uiuiui, well sorry, I already have an appointment, khaw thot khrap, ciao amici. Darkness has set in by now, and I bounce back to town.

The italian guy you refer to is a very nice guy he goes home about once a year or so to earn a bit more money to keep him in the life style he likes here cos the resturant dont earn that much but helps with his income - he is always keen to talk and stands his round when drinking - a nice guy.

There are several girls that go up to the dam that are after a falang BF by the way and it is known as a bit of a pick up place locally for the girls

Not a brilliant photo but the only one I can find at the moment

post-21154-1197770036_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will be looking to rent house/bungalow in the Petchabun area from about April onwards

Hi Gentlemen

I'm a new member here - have only just found out about this group/BB. There's some fine information here about Residency/Visas, etc.

I've been living in Phetchabun off and on (work overseas) for the last 5 years.

Regarding the British Pub/Restaurant, there was a restaurant run by a guy called Russel Cope. This was out to the east of the main town. Not sure if it's still there as his home is now up for rent. I have heard news of another 'Farang' bar to the north (on the way to Lom Sak) but have never managed to find it.

At the main crossroads (by the police box and Chinese temple) there's a rough bar with wooden frontage and a Buffalo head outside and Norwegian Flag. This is open in the evenings and okay, and I believe jointly owned by a 'Farang'. There's a corner cafe/bar not far from 'Topland/Tesco Lotus' in the middle of town, where all the local Farang meet up - mostly English. I usually see about 6 of them whenever I pass by.

Regarding places to live in Phetchabun. On the Saraburi side of town, still in Tambon Sadiang, on the left side of the main road as you look toward Phetchabun is an archway over a road that leads into an esate called Phetchompu (Pink Diamond). There's about 300 homes on it so far, most occupied but more being built. Quite a few Farang live here. To enquire, the first house on the left as you go inside belongs to the estate manager. He's a very obliging sort of guy, helpful. Rents are between 3000 to 7000 THB per month depending on size of house.

We're renting one there right now until we finish building our place. Actually we're planning on moving out around April, so there will be at least one for rent by then.

The place is pretty safe and not too busy.

Hope that's been of help to you.

• 2 weeks later...

hello Gents-

I'm marrying a gal who lives on the Army base with the golf course on topic. I was just there a few weeks ago and yes, it is my understanding, its open to the public.....

Actually, we're having a wedding on the army base mid-march, in the big hall on the right going through the front gate.

There is also a farang bar called "sculley's". Sorry, cant give you the address or directions. WHen I get back there next month, I'l get the info.

I'd like to get some info of where to buy new houses in Phetch. There is a place directly across from the Army base we checked out, but would like to check out some other places. ANy info would be appreciated.

Edited by Birch

hello Gents-

I'm marrying a gal who lives on the Army base with the golf course on topic. I was just there a few weeks ago and yes, it is my understanding, its open to the public.....

Actually, we're having a wedding on the army base mid-march, in the big hall on the right going through the front gate.

There is also a farang bar called "sculley's". Sorry, cant give you the address or directions. WHen I get back there next month, I'l get the info.

I'd like to get some info of where to buy new houses in Phetch. There is a place directly across from the Army base we checked out, but would like to check out some other places. ANy info would be appreciated.

The norm round here is get some land and have one built by the way I live about 5km from that Army Base if its the one just south of the city

hello Gents-

The norm round here is get some land and have one built by the way I live about 5km from that Army Base if its the one just south of the city

Yes, mgc is quite right. Usual to buy land in your wife's name and build a place on it. If you don't want the hassle though, there are many houses 'to order' being built in Phetchompu - where I described earlier - go and have a look. There is a massive long bungalow there that does not look like the other houses, built for a Dutch guy apparently. But the estate manager will organise and built practically anything you want. Prices start at about 2 million and go up to 7 million for something more ambitious.

It has to be said though, you get a lot more satisfaction doing it yourself, or employing a local builder and getting it done to your spec. Keep an eye on the electricians and make sure they put in an earthing system and not just the two wire spurs they seem to do in most buildings. There are some reasonable building firms in Phetchabun area, but the plumbing and wiring leave a lot to be desired.

We're also bilding about 5 km from the army base, but don't know the previous poster. It is a big place however, and yes, I believe there is still a lot of land for sale.

Yes, this is the same Army base. There is a Toyota dealer across the street from the main gate.

The houses being built near across from the Army base were fairly small. 2 versions, 1 story and 2 story. 1 story we were looking at was 900,000baht w/o the land. As a former contractor, did look to bad but I wasnt inside. I also heard from a scot I met nearby, to watch out for elec/plumbers as well.

I'll be back next month if anyones interested in lunch/dinner/beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting video it travelled from LomSak direction to town where all the government buildings and schools are the junction it came to after leaving the main 21 is a dangerous junction (just before the archway) and I notice not even a glance to the right by the driver - no wonder accidents happen there

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting video it travelled from LomSak direction to town where all the government buildings and schools are the junction it came to after leaving the main 21 is a dangerous junction (just before the archway) and I notice not even a glance to the right by the driver - no wonder accidents happen there

Hi Mervyn

I'm back in Phetchabun next week for a few days. Maybe we'll catch up.

Kevin

Hi Mervyn

I'm back in Phetchabun next week for a few days. Maybe we'll catch up.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I go down to FunCity on Thursday next week so make it before then no prob