Phetchabun

scotty123456789

macb, I live in 110 km south of Petchabun city, but play golf at the big army barracks on Highway 21 as you enter the city from the south, its called Battle Horse golf club. There are local ex-pats, a good 10-15 who meet up at 1000 am every Tuesday and Friday. They all seem to know a lot about Petch, so may be able to help you with your search!!.

I do know this that opposite the Army barracks Tesco Lotus are building a very large supermarket and Big C likewise next door. In the early days of construction but it seems like it is a booming city and I will switch my monthly Tesco shop from Saraburi to Petchabun when all is built.

you might not have to travel all the way to phetchabun for long, I heard tesco are looking to build one of their smaller type stores in wichianburi also. :o

macb, I live in 110 km south of Petchabun city, but play golf at the big army barracks on Highway 21 as you enter the city from the south, its called Battle Horse golf club. There are local ex-pats, a good 10-15 who meet up at 1000 am every Tuesday and Friday. They all seem to know a lot about Petch, so may be able to help you with your search!!.

I do know this that opposite the Army barracks Tesco Lotus are building a very large supermarket and Big C likewise next door. In the early days of construction but it seems like it is a booming city and I will switch my monthly Tesco shop from Saraburi to Petchabun when all is built.

you might not have to travel all the way to phetchabun for long, I heard tesco are looking to build one of their smaller type stores in wichianburi also. :o

Tesco is due to open 11th I believe here and BIG C is looking very close to opening but not given a date as yet

That would be good! as only 20km from Wichian, however Tesco's had planned to build a small store in Chai Badan- some 40 km further south down the highway 21. Apparently billboards were put up advertising this.

I do 'nt think it was ever built due to opposition from all the local traders.

Perhaps any folk from that part of Lop Buri province can shed some light??

• 2 weeks later...

The Tesco store (Supersize) is up and running. running their own food kitchens. with pizza company, Mk and Chesters grill all will be open within 4 weeks. No firm date on Major cinema (4 screens) but, it will be soon. Big C running late should be open with 8 weeks.

Sorry , but it is like a breath of fresh air (Not forgetting the A/C down on freezing point). everybody (Thai's) are putting on the Sunday best to shop, just sit and have a lite lunch, :o The eye candy is perfect. And we are bumping into everybody we haven't seen for a long time!

Sure like Tesco UK some prices are higher, But not having to listen or deal with Chin mum/pop stores or the uncover market, with restricted goods, out of date products and who cares attitude. is great!

All we need know is the coffee shop to supply beer and become the new farang corner! Maybe the Big C will sort that one out!

As for Top land, I can see big changes coming to Phetchabun centre in the near future! This is going to shake up the live in shop owners who have strangled the town centre for too long with their T shirt shops and mobile phone outlets.

Just my thinking! LOL

The Tesco store (Supersize) is up and running. running their own food kitchens. with pizza company, Mk and Chesters grill all will be open within 4 weeks. No firm date on Major cinema (4 screens) but, it will be soon. Big C running late should be open with 8 weeks.

Sorry , but it is like a breath of fresh air (Not forgetting the A/C down on freezing point). everybody (Thai's) are putting on the Sunday best to shop, just sit and have a lite lunch, :o The eye candy is perfect. And we are bumping into everybody we haven't seen for a long time!

Sure like Tesco UK some prices are higher, But not having to listen or deal with Chin mum/pop stores or the uncover market, with restricted goods, out of date products and who cares attitude. is great!

All we need know is the coffee shop to supply beer and become the new farang corner! Maybe the Big C will sort that one out!

As for Top land, I can see big changes coming to Phetchabun centre in the near future! This is going to shake up the live in shop owners who have strangled the town centre for too long with their T shirt shops and mobile phone outlets.

Just my thinking! LOL

:D and of course the wives will be able to keep an eye on the weekly golfers across the road! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I found the Falang Bar at last

Run by a nice guy called Ian it opens 4pm till midnight they do a very nice beef burger & proper chips

mix of Thai & falang food served very reasonable

08Mar_008.jpg

08Mar_011.jpg

08Mar_015.jpg

Where is it Mervyn? I'm just back from Sarawak and will be over to Phetchabun in another 3 weeks and would like to have a look at this. Heard about the place years ago but never found it.

Rgds

Kevin

I found the Falang Bar at last

Run by a nice guy called Ian it opens 4pm till midnight they do a very nice beef burger & proper chips

mix of Thai & falang food served very reasonable

Where is it Mervyn? I'm just back from Sarawak and will be over to Phetchabun in another 3 weeks and would like to have a look at this. Heard about the place years ago but never found it.

Rgds

Kevin

very easy to get to seetheir web site http://www.scoogies.com for details nice guy that runs the place and a mine of information from visa runs to girl bars :o

• 2 weeks later...

Just for anybody about Phetchabun if you have a word with Ian at Scoogies now he has a supplier of pies @ 70 thb and they are very good excellent pasty plus Gammon, sausage, sausage rolls all made locally so now more than worth a visit :o

Just for anybody about Phetchabun if you have a word with Ian at Scoogies now he has a supplier of pies @ 70 thb and they are very good excellent pasty plus Gammon, sausage, sausage rolls all made locally so now more than worth a visit :o

Can confirm pies have been tested very tasty and the sausage rolls the same

Still no news on the falang owned bar in Phetchabun city then anybody any idea where ??

Hi, i have visiting Phetchabun once in a while since 1993. I haven´t seen any beer bars there but is there any that kind of action?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my first post, although I have been lurking on and off for a couple of years.I am English and visit Phetchabun about 3-4 times a year, good to hear of a bar to go to and meet other falangs.

My "family" are from Ban Bung Nam Tao, near Lom Sak where we have a house(Thai stlyle) and some land to build a more comfy place at some point.

My GF is happy and pleased about Tesco/Big C, and has been to the movies so I guess it is all up and running fine now, I havent' been since March this year when it was still being finished.My feelings about Tesco are mixed, although I love the convenience and find going sadly interesting when bored!

[/left]

I will be over for a couple of months from the beginning of August, after a week in Sin City,(with GF, we both like it)I will be up in Phetchabun and would be delighted to hook up for a beer or two at Scoogies now I know about it.

Look forward to August and a visit to Scoogies, appreciate all the informative posts from all parts of the forums,

Prestburypark

• 4 weeks later...

wondering if the Tesco Lotus or BigC will provide online shopping and delivery?

Or phone order at least? My house is at least 1 hr away by car.

Going to phetchabun centre during the weekend is fun but the commuting part is not.

Anyone got the tesco credit card? It's a 2% discount card.

Was thinking of getting it for the purpose of instalment payment for a LCD screen

but seems not possible for a foreigner.

Edited by billku

Re Tesco card a foreigner can have one but it is a lot of hassle getting one about as good as getting a resident visa from what my wife found out.

If any body is ever visiting this area if you send me a PM I am always up for a drink at Scoogies by the way when I am in the village which is about 20 days per month

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, maybe you can help me. I just bought a piece of land in Bueng Sam Phan. We want to build a holiday house there of 42 square meters and we are looking for a constructor. Any advices please?

Thanks,

Len

Hi Len

Just seen your post. Don't know if you are still in the market?

We've just had our new house built on Route 21, a few kilometres North of Nachaliang.

Good local family builder, but he's just started on a Thai bungalow at the back of our place for "pops" and a house for another Brit just outside Nachaliang.

May have to wait a few months till he's free.

Regards

R21