there is a big dam about 10 kilometres out of town. It is not easy to find the entrance, I always end up at the dam's administration complex, but finally I make it to the shore.

It has several simple restaurants built up in a way that you can't see much of the reservoir. Out of one restaurant steps a sexy Thai lady and smiles "Hello mister, you come alone khaa?" Who'd expect bargirl talk in the boondocks west of Phetchabun? She seems fun and anglophone, so I opt for a lemon juice there. When I sit down with her, a bearded Italian joins us and explains all of Thailand to me. He seems to be her boyfriend, as he explains all of his Thai girl to me too. Funny, she talks some Italian: she is able to finish a Thai or English sermon with an Italian "Capito?" I always felt that Italians and Thais have quite something in common: in terms of temperament, care for style and good food as well as in their nationalism and unsavoury corporate governments. This delightful Thai lady would fit perfectly into a piazza in Milano or Urbino, checking tomatoes on the market or chatting away with the neighbours.

While Miss Thai-Italian is obviously not available for me, they have a fat shy Lao girl on the premises and I am told that she would definitely like a western boyfriend. There is one more young Thai man; he is completely built up like a lady with a lot of make-up and jewellery. The italophone Thai girl explains to me: "She has hot dog, but she wants to be lady. She wants to take you to Oasis disco tonight." Uiuiui, well sorry, I already have an appointment, khaw thot khrap, ciao amici. Darkness has set in by now, and I bounce back to town.

The italian guy you refer to is a very nice guy he goes home about once a year or so to earn a bit more money to keep him in the life style he likes here cos the resturant dont earn that much but helps with his income - he is always keen to talk and stands his round when drinking - a nice guy.

There are several girls that go up to the dam that are after a falang BF by the way and it is known as a bit of a pick up place locally for the girls

Not a brilliant photo but the only one I can find at the moment

post-21154-1197770036_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will be looking to rent house/bungalow in the Petchabun area from about April onwards

Hi Gentlemen

I'm a new member here - have only just found out about this group/BB. There's some fine information here about Residency/Visas, etc.

I've been living in Phetchabun off and on (work overseas) for the last 5 years.

Regarding the British Pub/Restaurant, there was a restaurant run by a guy called Russel Cope. This was out to the east of the main town. Not sure if it's still there as his home is now up for rent. I have heard news of another 'Farang' bar to the north (on the way to Lom Sak) but have never managed to find it.

At the main crossroads (by the police box and Chinese temple) there's a rough bar with wooden frontage and a Buffalo head outside and Norwegian Flag. This is open in the evenings and okay, and I believe jointly owned by a 'Farang'. There's a corner cafe/bar not far from 'Topland/Tesco Lotus' in the middle of town, where all the local Farang meet up - mostly English. I usually see about 6 of them whenever I pass by.

Regarding places to live in Phetchabun. On the Saraburi side of town, still in Tambon Sadiang, on the left side of the main road as you look toward Phetchabun is an archway over a road that leads into an esate called Phetchompu (Pink Diamond). There's about 300 homes on it so far, most occupied but more being built. Quite a few Farang live here. To enquire, the first house on the left as you go inside belongs to the estate manager. He's a very obliging sort of guy, helpful. Rents are between 3000 to 7000 THB per month depending on size of house.

We're renting one there right now until we finish building our place. Actually we're planning on moving out around April, so there will be at least one for rent by then.

The place is pretty safe and not too busy.

Hope that's been of help to you.

• 2 weeks later...

hello Gents-

I'm marrying a gal who lives on the Army base with the golf course on topic. I was just there a few weeks ago and yes, it is my understanding, its open to the public.....

Actually, we're having a wedding on the army base mid-march, in the big hall on the right going through the front gate.

There is also a farang bar called "sculley's". Sorry, cant give you the address or directions. WHen I get back there next month, I'l get the info.

I'd like to get some info of where to buy new houses in Phetch. There is a place directly across from the Army base we checked out, but would like to check out some other places. ANy info would be appreciated.

Edited by Birch
hello Gents-

I'm marrying a gal who lives on the Army base with the golf course on topic. I was just there a few weeks ago and yes, it is my understanding, its open to the public.....

Actually, we're having a wedding on the army base mid-march, in the big hall on the right going through the front gate.

There is also a farang bar called "sculley's". Sorry, cant give you the address or directions. WHen I get back there next month, I'l get the info.

I'd like to get some info of where to buy new houses in Phetch. There is a place directly across from the Army base we checked out, but would like to check out some other places. ANy info would be appreciated.

The norm round here is get some land and have one built by the way I live about 5km from that Army Base if its the one just south of the city

hello Gents-

The norm round here is get some land and have one built by the way I live about 5km from that Army Base if its the one just south of the city

Yes, mgc is quite right. Usual to buy land in your wife's name and build a place on it. If you don't want the hassle though, there are many houses 'to order' being built in Phetchompu - where I described earlier - go and have a look. There is a massive long bungalow there that does not look like the other houses, built for a Dutch guy apparently. But the estate manager will organise and built practically anything you want. Prices start at about 2 million and go up to 7 million for something more ambitious.

It has to be said though, you get a lot more satisfaction doing it yourself, or employing a local builder and getting it done to your spec. Keep an eye on the electricians and make sure they put in an earthing system and not just the two wire spurs they seem to do in most buildings. There are some reasonable building firms in Phetchabun area, but the plumbing and wiring leave a lot to be desired.

We're also bilding about 5 km from the army base, but don't know the previous poster. It is a big place however, and yes, I believe there is still a lot of land for sale.

Yes, this is the same Army base. There is a Toyota dealer across the street from the main gate.

The houses being built near across from the Army base were fairly small. 2 versions, 1 story and 2 story. 1 story we were looking at was 900,000baht w/o the land. As a former contractor, did look to bad but I wasnt inside. I also heard from a scot I met nearby, to watch out for elec/plumbers as well.

I'll be back next month if anyones interested in lunch/dinner/beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting video it travelled from LomSak direction to town where all the government buildings and schools are the junction it came to after leaving the main 21 is a dangerous junction (just before the archway) and I notice not even a glance to the right by the driver - no wonder accidents happen there

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting video it travelled from LomSak direction to town where all the government buildings and schools are the junction it came to after leaving the main 21 is a dangerous junction (just before the archway) and I notice not even a glance to the right by the driver - no wonder accidents happen there

Hi Mervyn

I'm back in Phetchabun next week for a few days. Maybe we'll catch up.

Kevin

Hi Mervyn

I'm back in Phetchabun next week for a few days. Maybe we'll catch up.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I go down to FunCity on Thursday next week so make it before then no prob

I found the Falang Bar at last

Run by a nice guy called Ian it opens 4pm till midnight they do a very nice beef burger & proper chips

mix of Thai & falang food served very reasonable

08Mar_008.jpg

08Mar_011.jpg

08Mar_015.jpg

Edited by mgc