Salary Increase For Teachers In Rural Thailand

george

Salary increase for teachers in rural Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The government has decided to increase salaries of teachers who volunteer to work in the country’s remote areas.

Those teachers' salaries will be an automatically increased, as well as special privileges at the time of annual promotions, according to the Education Minister, Adisai Bodharamik.

The government’s plans are aimed at dealing with the shortage of government teachers working in the country’s remote areas.

In the short-term, Mr. Adisai told the educationalists, teachers could be 'borrowed' from one province and transferred to another where there is a greater need.

The minister announced his scheme during a meeting with the heads of 25 local education districts in seven northern provinces.

Mr. Adisai also said he had instructed all 175 local education offices to introduce a CEO-style to their administration.

--TNA 2004-08-20

Will the salary increase be to the 60,000 baht a month the same Thai government sets as the minimum income a foreigner must show to stay in the Kingdom as a non-working resident? :o

That's not true...

It's only to get a one year stamp. If you make less, you still don't neccessarily have to leave the country at all. It just means that immigration can make you come back every 90, 60, 30, or fewer days for another stamp.

Will the salary increase be to the 60,000 baht a month the same Thai government sets as the minimum income a foreigner must show to stay in the Kingdom as a non-working resident? :o

Foreign teachers only need 25-30,000 a month for a work permit.

Will the salary increase be to the 60,000 baht a month the same Thai government sets as the minimum income a foreigner must show to stay in the Kingdom as a non-working resident?  :o

Foreign teachers only need 25-30,000 a month for a work permit.

Where did you get that? As far as I've heard and seem, there seems to be no lower salary limit for a work permit. I personally know of university teachers making far less than that, and they all have work permits...

I think there is a wage (or tax paid anyway)/WP deal, but I'm not sure if it applies to every kind of 'school' as, like you say, I know people earning less but they hold WPs (are you sure the people you know aren't paying tax on 25-30k even though they're actually earning less).

I think there is a wage (or tax paid anyway)/WP deal, but I'm not sure if it applies to every kind of 'school' as, like you say, I know people earning less but they hold WPs (are you sure the people you know aren't paying tax on 25-30k even though they're actually earning less).

Many of these teachers making 10-15,000 a month, are paying little or nothing in taxes, after standard deductions. A friend at CMU (part-time) paid 550 baht last year...One teacher at cmu is teaching only 3 hours per week @ 250 per hour....about 3,000 baht per month. He still has a WP.

And even Burmese workers can get WP's.....

Just hope they have enough children to take care of them when they get old.

Maybe the 30 baht health care will be extended to foreigners.

Just so you know, every worker in Thailand, even if a foreigner, gets free health care through Social Security. Also, even farangs are covered under Thai employment and wage laws, which, in my experience are even better than in some western countries...When one reaches retirement age, they are also eligible for a Thai govt pension....

In addition, there is now, or soon will be, a form of unemployment insurance available to anyone working legally in Thailand.

i worked over at Ubon uni. for a few months (acting as cover for an ajarn that had mysteriously gone awol). interestingly as they were suffering from budgetry constraints offered me a buffalo in part-payment of salary... how odd was that?

Yeah, but was she good looking? :o