Will A Masters In Education -

ajannick

I'm thinking of studying the Masters in Education program with the Open University next year.

I have several years teaching experience in Thailand.

I have a BSc hons degree from a university in England.

I have a TEFL certificate done in Bangkok.

My question is: Would a good international school be interested in hiring me once I've completed the masters course?

Many Thanks Nick.

"Will a Masters in Education" Main heading.

"get me into a good international school?" Sub heading.

Questions are often split into these two sections on the forum, but as proved by you, the later may sometimes go un-seen.

There is nothing wrong with being old, once one accepts the slight loss of vision.

Boring and Pedantic on the other hand are definite conversation st....

Edited by ajannick

A lot depends on what kind of subject we're talking about- if it's sciences or mathematics or another subject in great demand, you might have a chance. I think they prefer NOT to hire locally when possible, though- and they prefer PGCEs (or their equivalents), which involve licensing, a criminal check, and observed practice teaching. However, it would open a lot of other doors even if the 2 or 3 "real" international schools weren't interested.

It might even depend what the major focus is on the M.Ed. If it's just philosophy of education, that won't mean much. Administration and supervision might help get a job later as boss. If it's in teaching a target subject (science, math, health, etc.) that might be positive in some circumstances.

A reputable international School will usually require evidence of a valid teaching certificate from your home country/state. I have a master's degree with a TEFL certificate, but do not qualify for most positions in the better international schools here. However, the doors are wide open to teach in most government universities in Thailand; and there are some relatively cushy positions available (not tons of money, but pretty nice teaching loads--15 hours or under).

The PGCE is going to prove a problem, I am pretty settled here, as are my wife and kids. If I were single I would go back to the UK to complete this course, but as I'm not, have you any ideas around this?

My plan is to put my daughters into a good international school within the next 5 years. They are at current in Pratom and Anuban. On my current salary I could not afford to do this, hence the interest in further study.

With the MA in Education and in my situation what sort of salary in BKK could I realistically look to command?

Do you see the shortage of Math and Science teachers being long-term and if so would a OU course in something like:

Graduate Diploma in Mathematics Education or Teaching mathematical thinking at Key Stage 3 be advisable instead or as well as the MA in Education?

Thanks Nick.

Edited by ajannick

I know you say "I'm really settled here", but the best long term investment you could make is to go back and get your PGCE. Once you have that your teaching options open up incredibly and you will secure a place in a better school for your daughter.

The PGCE is only for a year and would be a very wise move for your career as a teacher. There are many degree holders who are teachers in Thai schools, but much fewer PGCE holders so by obtaining that you will place yourself in a smaller competition pool. You will then be able to work anywhere in the world as a teacher and more importantly secure your daughters education until she is 18.

However many of the "top" international schools will only recruit direct from the native country and the Head of School flies back each year to conduct interviews.

Another hugely unpopular fashion with the international school is their aversion to hire western males who are married to Thai locals. I have seen this first hand in 2 International schools, and when I inquired as to the reasons it appears to be for the image to the wealthy Thai students' family who (apparently?!) have a preference for western teachers with (white??) western spouses and "full" western teachers. Crazy I know, but we all know racism very much exists here!

I briefly Goggled "study distance PGCE" and there were some options that came up. One of them included just 20 days actual attendance in the UK (atthe start and end of the course) and the rest was distance..... this may help your situation.

Good Luck! :o

My friend was getting 60,000+ baht per month with his BA and a TEFL cert at an "international" school in BKK. But he was 2 months away from his Masters so the school was kind enough to pay him as if he already had his Masters. I, on the other hand, was offered 25,000 baht per month due to my "Thainess" :o

I respectfully declined the offer and opened up my own "private school" in Korat. Suffice to say, I make a lot more than my friend now :D

Ski...(Ajarn)

Thanks to all for your input.

Thaiclan, your response has made me research the option of distance learning the PGCE near my hometown. It looks like I would have to fly back to the UK once each year for a two year course I've seen. In the first year for 5 weeks and the second for 8 weeks. This could prove to be feasible.

Do you think that a PGCE would be a better option than the MA in education?

I could apply for an interview with international schools in BKK while in England (in the 2nd year) and although this doesn't sit right with me I could always say that I am not married.

Any more input from anyone would be great. Especially people who hire and fire in international schools in BKK.

Nick.

Do you think that a PGCE would be a better option than the MA in education?

Yes - but remember that the decent jobs at the 'best' international schools go to those with both a full teaching certification (PGCE or equivalent) and 2-3 years experience of teaching in the UK, US, Aus, NZ etc. That's what the schools are paying the big baht for, and they can afford to be choosy.

I am currently completing a PGCE with the University of South Queensland in Australia.

This is completed fully by distance education with the only requirement being that you are currently teaching and have a degree.

It can be completed in one to two years.

It is a little pricey but no more than the Open University.

I have found the course itself quite interesting so far.

I actually heard about this course from another member of Thai Visa earlier in the year.

http://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/current/edu/PGCE.html

I am currently completing a PGCE with the University of South Queensland in Australia.

This is completed fully by distance education with the only requirement being that you are currently teaching and have a degree.

I actually heard about this course from another member of Thai Visa earlier in the year.

Garro, I just completed a similar course with UNE in Armidale. I've been living and teaching in LoS all of that time. I did the course part time over 4 years. Just waiting for the result of my last assignment. I don't really expect it to land me a job in the big international schools here, but maybe can get into a second rung one later on (as I don't have the experience in a Western School). A likely plan is to relocate to Australia for a few years with my family, get some experience teaching there, then return to LoS at a later date to a better paying gig. Anyway, while living in OZ, it's likely my wife will be earning more than me in a university, so she might not want to return! hehe

A friend of mine just finished her PGCE from USQ and I am starting my PGTL (Post graduate degree in teaching languages) basically a PGCE in ESL/TESOL and I will be going on to my Masters from there as your PGCE rolls into the Master's. So the PGCE is half of a Master's degree if you want to continue on.

You can also become a licenced teacher in Australia through USQ but you have to physically be there for a short period of time.