Buddha And Jesus, Your Opinion On An Article

Maxi101

Found this and just would like to know the opinion of the members here :o

Is this a question of interpretation or fake ?!

Greetings!

Maxi

Buddha Prophesized about Jesus (Yeshua)

Buddha's Date of Birth: approx. 563 Before Christ (BC)

BuddhismandJesus2.jpg

BuddhismandJesus4.jpg

BuddhismandJesus5.jpg

WatPraSingh-tn.jpg

picture of Wat Phra Sing

Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497).

Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

watphotemple-tn.gif

Wat Pho Temple above

Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

This piece of work has been shuffled around the internet a lot this year.

Often turning up on Buddhist websites.

There is nothing in this text that is supported by the pali cannon.

The writer obviously has no idea about what Buddhists believe or don't believe.

The Buddha denied the existence of sin.

All this piece of rubbish proves is that some groups will use any means to gain converts.

Shame on them.

It seems to be a twisted version of the "prophecy" about the next Buddha, Maitreya, which plays almost no part in Theravada but has been quite significant in Mahayana Buddhism in some countries. According to one book I read, when Christian missionaries in northern Thailand a century ago showed villagers pictures of Jesus resurrected they assumed it was Maitreya and were appropriately reverential. This caused some confusion. :o

Thailand a century ago showed villagers pictures of Jesus resurrected they assumed it was Maitreya and were appropriately reverential. This caused some confusion.

Reminds me of when Phra Farang - plain Peter Robinson as he again now is - was often mistaken for Ajahn Sumedho sometimes with embarrassing and hilalrious consequences.

Good Morning Buddha ? Not there yet, but I'm getting there. :o

<div align="center">Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

<div align="center">Wat Pho Temple above

</div></div>

I find this quite disturbing. I'm not implying that I find anything wrong with what Christians believe, but there is no comparison to what I believe that Buddha taught. The underpinning of my Buddhist believes lie in fundamental altruism and basic quantum physics.

Do you think many Thais believe in the message in this text? What percentage do you think?

Edited by B Fuddled

I know an ex Buddhist Monk (Khon Thai) who is now a Christian pastor. I heard him speak of this same thing many years ago. It is interesting to finally read it. I know that he is quite convinced that this is historical. I cannot vouch for this translation in English however.

Having had a quick read of the quote in the pamphlet I'd have to say my first thought is reminds me of the Book of Mormon.

By that I mean it pretends to be old but refers to the importance of merit making in a way that is very 20th century Thai.

I'm no scholar of the Pali Canon but the style an much of the wording and many of the references of this pamphlet are very inconsistant with with the scriptures that date back to the Buddhas time. I guess it could have been a very loose paraphrase written by a Christian but then you'd think a Christian would have been aware of the importance of recording the chapter and verse it came from, rather than the name of the person who gave him permission to copy it.

So as far as you know, does the writer of the pamphlet claim that it was lost for 2500 years and discovered in 1954 by Somsak Smith preserved in time written on gold tablets in a cave?

Or, does he have a reference in the Pali Canon that I can look up to verify it's authenticity?

So what do you think of it Maxi101?

I must say that I used to admire modern day Christian missionaries (those of the colonial era are a different story) as people of deep selflessness and conviction, but some of the things I hear about their antics in Thailand paint them as quite a dishonest breed.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

I know an ex Buddhist Monk (Khon Thai) who is now a Christian pastor. I heard him speak of this same thing many years ago. It is interesting to finally read it. I know that he is quite convinced that this is historical. I cannot vouch for this translation in English however.

I doubt that he could have been much of a Buddhist monk if he fell for such obvious nonsense.

That's just my opinion though.

Edited by garro

One quick comment: a common mistake is to confuse the teachings of Christ with Christianity, with the organized Christendom we have known in the centuries since. There's not much real connection.

The same question could be asked: how closely do the teachings of the Lord Buddha compare with the practice of modern Buddhism?

I doubt that he could have been much of a Buddhist monk if he fell for such obvious nonsense.

That's just my opinion though.

Maybe not fully sold out to Buddhist world view would be a better description of the man. But since Buddhism embraces the concept of investigating and meditating on what you believe. It must also embrace the idea that someone can choose for themselves what truth is. In that vein, he must have been a very good Buddhist indeed, because he chose his path by what he believed, not just because it was the way it is always done.

One quick comment: a common mistake is to confuse the teachings of Christ with Christianity, with the organized Christendom we have known in the centuries since. There's not much real connection.

The same question could be asked: how closely do the teachings of the Lord Buddha compare with the practice of modern Buddhism?

Well said

Maybe not fully sold out to Buddhist world view would be a better description of the man. But since Buddhism embraces the concept of investigating and meditating on what you believe. It must also embrace the idea that someone can choose for themselves what truth is. In that vein, he must have been a very good Buddhist indeed, because he chose his path by what he believed, not just because it was the way it is always done.

I think garro was referring to the fact that he believed a pamphlet of duboius authenticity, rather than his finding a new faith.

Personally I applaud him for casting off traditions that he found weren't working for him for something else that made his spiritual path alive. People who choose their path themselves rather than following that laid out by their environment or their parents follow their path with much more energy and conviction.

While I'm not impressed with some forms of Cristianity, there are others that are definately preferable to the animism that is followed as a sorry excuse for Buddhism around much of Thailand.

In other words better to be a good Christian/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/whatever than a bad Buddhist.

I think it is popular Buddhism that has gone astray rather than "modern" Buddhism. The Thai Forest Tradition is modern Buddhism, but it's about as authentic as you can get. Popular, devotional Buddhism seemed to get going almost from the time of the Buddha's death.

I'm no scholar of the Pali Canon but the style an much of the wording and many of the references of this pamphlet are very inconsistant with with the scriptures that date back to the Buddhas time.

Definitely. There is only one reference to a future Buddha (Maitreya/Metteyya) in the Pali Canon, in the Cakkavatti-Sihanada Sutta:

The Buddha: "And in that time of the people with an eighty-thousand-year life-span, there will arise in the world a Blessed Lord, an arahant fully enlightened Buddha named Metteyya, endowed with wisdom and conduct, a Well-farer, Knower of the worlds, incomparable Trainer of men to be tamed, Teacher of gods and humans, enlightened and blessed, just as I am now."

There's a lot more about Maitreya in Mahayana sutras, which is where I think this bogus text was adapted from.

There's a lot more about Maitreya in Mahayana sutras, which is where I think this bogus text was adapted from.

Yes, odds of a genuine lost Mahayana scripture being found in the storeroom of Theravada Chiang Mai Wat in 1954 are...

where's the nearest lottery shop?

Edited by Brucenkhamen

I think garro was referring to the fact that he believed a pamphlet of duboius authenticity, rather than his finding a new faith.

Personally I applaud him for casting off traditions that he found weren't working for him for something else that made his spiritual path alive. People who choose their path themselves rather than following that laid out by their environment or their parents follow their path with much more energy and conviction.

While I'm not impressed with some forms of Cristianity, there are others that are definately preferable to the animism that is followed as a sorry excuse for Buddhism around much of Thailand.

In other words better to be a good Christian/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/whatever than a bad Buddhist.

I completley agree, especially if you mean being a compassionate and creative asset to your community; And never growing weary in well doing.

You know fellas I think we're going about this all wrong, we shouldn't try to discredit it rather work out how to use it to our advantage.

If the Buddha prophesied the coming of Jesus then obviously he's a prophet of God, right up there with the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

So next time a Christian is on your case about following the ways of the devil you can whip out a copy of this pamphlet and provide proof you are following a prophet of God, may work with Muslims too.

Maybe this means we can have enlightenment and salvation too.

on a side note to turn this around. does anybody believe that stuff where jesus was supposed to be influenced by buddhist teachings? is this just a wild idea off the internet, akin with the OP, or is there any substance to this claim?

I don't think so. I just think there so many similarities in the teachings on our behaviour. Doing good and trying to live a good life etc.

on a side note to turn this around. does anybody believe that stuff where jesus was supposed to be influenced by buddhist teachings? is this just a wild idea off the internet, akin with the OP, or is there any substance to this claim?

I don't think so. I just think there so many similarities in the teachings on our behaviour. Doing good and trying to live a good life etc.

i looked into this a bit further today, while there no archeological evidence linking jesus with buddhism, there were denfitely buddhist missionaries sent west towards greece and egypt from about 250BC by asoka, an indian monarch.

there seem to be alot of books and articles that make the case for this idea, but there does not seem to be any archealogical evidence. however it is certainly very interesting, and i think agreat deal more plausible than the article in the OP.

i looked into this a bit further today, while there no archeological evidence linking jesus with buddhism, there were denfitely buddhist missionaries sent west towards greece and egypt from about 250BC by asoka, an indian monarch.

there seem to be alot of books and articles that make the case for this idea, but there does not seem to be any archealogical evidence. however it is certainly very interesting, and i think agreat deal more plausible than the article in the OP.

Hi Longway et al,

This is to some, the "deep end" of religion. (Did the Buddha influence Jesus ?)

I follow the teachings of Baha'u'llah, prophet-founder of renewed religion known as the Baha'i Faith.

For those who are unaware, and with absolutely no intention of entering into dispute with anyone, allow me to tell you that Baha'is hold the Lord Buddha in the very highest reverence possible.

They also have a very clear understanding of the intimate relationship between the Lord Buddha and Jesus the Christ as well as a firm understanding of the nature of Maitrya Buddha.

If you would like an explanation, may I respectfully suggest that you check out "The Oneness of the Prophets", a principal tenent of the Baha'i Faith.

As I have been respectful to the forum readers, I ask that you kindly return similar respect to my posting by avoiding contest and contention.

Check it out. You might find answers to the question .

Chock dee !

Edited by SwaziBird

A prophecy that tells its followers that what they are following is wrong? But to look for a new way to reach an ultimate goal?

There were and are many so called "profits" who want to try to sway your belief, to what they believe. In every religon. This was just another attempt.

This is to some, the "deep end" of religion. (Did the Buddha influence Jesus ?)

I follow the teachings of Baha'u'llah, prophet-founder of renewed religion known as the Baha'i Faith.

For those who are unaware, and with absolutely no intention of entering into dispute with anyone, allow me to tell you that Baha'is hold the Lord Buddha in the very highest reverence possible.

They also have a very clear understanding of the intimate relationship between the Lord Buddha and Jesus the Christ as well as a firm understanding of the nature of Maitrya Buddha.

If you would like an explanation, may I respectfully suggest that you check out "The Oneness of the Prophets", a principal tenent of the Baha'i Faith.

As I have been respectful to the forum readers, I ask that you kindly return similar respect to my posting by avoiding contest and contention.

Check it out. You might find answers to the question .

Chock dee !

Why would you expect us to be anything else but respectful?

What I'd be interested to know is how important is this "intimate relationship between the Lord Buddha and Jesus the Christ as well as a firm understanding of the nature of Maitrya Buddha" in the Baha'i faith.

Not so much from the point of view of what is believed but whether holding fast to such a belief is important in Baha'i. Is faith based belief important in Baha'i or are such ideas presented in way that gives you freedom to accept, investigate, or reject as you progress along in your spiritual development?

Does it really matter whether this teacher influenced that teacher as an historical fact? does it matter whether you believe it or not? with evidence or not?

Surely with whatever path you follow the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

You know fellas I think we're going about this all wrong, we shouldn't try to discredit it rather work out how to use it to our advantage.

If the Buddha prophesied the coming of Jesus then obviously he's a prophet of God, right up there with the likes of Moses and John the Baptist.

So next time a Christian is on your case about following the ways of the devil you can whip out a copy of this pamphlet and provide proof you are following a prophet of God, may work with Muslims too.

Maybe this means we can have enlightenment and salvation too.

no, no, no, no no!! one sure-fire way to get rid of jehovah's Witnesses is to tell them you're a buddhist. If you whip out this text they will feel obliged to come round again!!