BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Maxi101

Buddha And Jesus, Your Opinion On An Article

Found this and just would like to know the opinion of the members here :o

Is this a question of interpretation or fake ?!

Greetings!

Maxi

Buddha Prophesized about Jesus (Yeshua)

Buddha's Date of Birth: approx. 563 Before Christ (BC)

BuddhismandJesus2.jpg

BuddhismandJesus4.jpg

BuddhismandJesus5.jpg

WatPraSingh-tn.jpg

picture of Wat Phra Sing

Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497).

Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

watphotemple-tn.gif

Wat Pho Temple above

Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

It is a genuine production of one of the Christian sects. Antiquity unknown but around 1978-87 would be the most likely years.

This piece of work has been shuffled around the internet a lot this year.

Often turning up on Buddhist websites.

There is nothing in this text that is supported by the pali cannon.

The writer obviously has no idea about what Buddhists believe or don't believe.

The Buddha denied the existence of sin.

All this piece of rubbish proves is that some groups will use any means to gain converts.

Shame on them.

It seems to be a twisted version of the "prophecy" about the next Buddha, Maitreya, which plays almost no part in Theravada but has been quite significant in Mahayana Buddhism in some countries. According to one book I read, when Christian missionaries in northern Thailand a century ago showed villagers pictures of Jesus resurrected they assumed it was Maitreya and were appropriately reverential. This caused some confusion. :o

Thailand a century ago showed villagers pictures of Jesus resurrected they assumed it was Maitreya and were appropriately reverential. This caused some confusion.

Reminds me of when Phra Farang - plain Peter Robinson as he again now is - was often mistaken for Ajahn Sumedho sometimes with embarrassing and hilalrious consequences.

Good Morning Buddha ? Not there yet, but I'm getting there. :o

<div align="center">Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.

<div align="center">Wat Pho Temple above

</div></div>

I find this quite disturbing. I'm not implying that I find anything wrong with what Christians believe, but there is no comparison to what I believe that Buddha taught. The underpinning of my Buddhist believes lie in fundamental altruism and basic quantum physics.

Do you think many Thais believe in the message in this text? What percentage do you think?

Edited by B Fuddled

Garro's right, it'd be cool if thats an authentic document, but such a thing would of been (if genuine) used as a platform for missionarys a long, long time ago, not just surfacing on the internet right now.

I know an ex Buddhist Monk (Khon Thai) who is now a Christian pastor. I heard him speak of this same thing many years ago. It is interesting to finally read it. I know that he is quite convinced that this is historical. I cannot vouch for this translation in English however.

Having had a quick read of the quote in the pamphlet I'd have to say my first thought is reminds me of the Book of Mormon.

By that I mean it pretends to be old but refers to the importance of merit making in a way that is very 20th century Thai.

I'm no scholar of the Pali Canon but the style an much of the wording and many of the references of this pamphlet are very inconsistant with with the scriptures that date back to the Buddhas time. I guess it could have been a very loose paraphrase written by a Christian but then you'd think a Christian would have been aware of the importance of recording the chapter and verse it came from, rather than the name of the person who gave him permission to copy it.

So as far as you know, does the writer of the pamphlet claim that it was lost for 2500 years and discovered in 1954 by Somsak Smith preserved in time written on gold tablets in a cave?

Or, does he have a reference in the Pali Canon that I can look up to verify it's authenticity?

So what do you think of it Maxi101?

I must say that I used to admire modern day Christian missionaries (those of the colonial era are a different story) as people of deep selflessness and conviction, but some of the things I hear about their antics in Thailand paint them as quite a dishonest breed.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

I know an ex Buddhist Monk (Khon Thai) who is now a Christian pastor. I heard him speak of this same thing many years ago. It is interesting to finally read it. I know that he is quite convinced that this is historical. I cannot vouch for this translation in English however.

I doubt that he could have been much of a Buddhist monk if he fell for such obvious nonsense.

That's just my opinion though.

Edited by garro

One quick comment: a common mistake is to confuse the teachings of Christ with Christianity, with the organized Christendom we have known in the centuries since. There's not much real connection.

The same question could be asked: how closely do the teachings of the Lord Buddha compare with the practice of modern Buddhism?

I doubt that he could have been much of a Buddhist monk if he fell for such obvious nonsense.

Sounds like he'd be in the majority of Buddhist monks in Thailand then.

Maybe not fully sold out to Buddhist world view would be a better description of the man. But since Buddhism embraces the concept of investigating and meditating on what you believe. It must also embrace the idea that someone can choose for themselves what truth is. In that vein, he must have been a very good Buddhist indeed, because he chose his path by what he believed, not just because it was the way it is always done.

One quick comment: a common mistake is to confuse the teachings of Christ with Christianity, with the organized Christendom we have known in the centuries since. There's not much real connection.

The same question could be asked: how closely do the teachings of the Lord Buddha compare with the practice of modern Buddhism?

Well said