from what i have seen on thaivisa and various blogs, many farang teach for around 40k baht a month. That is 1300 baht/day.

It seems to me like you could use the following business model:

buy a product

rent a space

hire someone to sell that product

hire someone to make sandwiches

rent a space

hire someone to sell them

it shouldn't take you very long until you can generate more than 40k baht a month and not have to do anything but collect your profits.

bangkok is such a busy place that everywhere you go someone is selling something. i dont see any excuse besides laziness as preventing someone from making money.

i wouldn't even under estimate how much money those prepared-at-home a-la-carte food stands can make. i think farang take the wrong approach. they go and try to build a restaurant and sign a million baht lease. whats the point? keep it simple and do it like the locals do it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i have seen on thaivisa and various blogs, many farang teach for around 40k baht a month. That is 1300 baht/day.

It seems to me like you could use the following business model:

buy a product

rent a space

hire someone to sell that product

Earth shattering. Unique idea. Where do i sign?

hire someone to make sandwiches

rent a space

hire someone to sell them

I,m stuck on what to put inside them. :o

it shouldn't take you very long until you can generate more than 40k baht a month and not have to do anything but collect your profits.

bangkok is such a busy place that everywhere you go someone is selling something. i dont see any excuse besides laziness as preventing someone from making money.

Nor me. I,ll stick with my salary and expense account.

i wouldn't even under estimate how much money those prepared-at-home a-la-carte food stands can make. i think farang take the wrong approach. they go and try to build a restaurant and sign a million baht lease. whats the point? keep it simple and do it like the locals do it.

Sell insects? Eeeeeeewwwwwww !

You should do this fast.............make your millions. That way you can then afford to buy your bottles of whipped cream that are way over-priced. ( as per post of 4th November ) :D

Edited by Manchester
i'm not selling anything. the point is just that 40k baht is a very small amount of money. if you started 3 micro business that generated 400 baht/day, you would have your salary.

Almost. But you wouldn't have the salary of the two people working for you, nor the rent on a commercial space, nor the utility bills, nor the business taxes, nor the permits, nor...

Stock control, theft, staff turnover, wastage, premises, legality, tea money, your permits, plus add another 100 things to think about and suddenly you have Bt3000 a day costs and zero income. For most people coming here on the 40k income, they don't have savings to run such a "business" until it reaches profitability.

What about the 90% failure rate for startups, TL? Not everyone can afford to fail 9 times before they find their cash cow. There are an awful lot of people who can't afford to fail just 1-2 times.

:o

What about the 90% failure rate for startups, TL? Not everyone can afford to fail 9 times before they find their cash cow. There are an awful lot of people who can't afford to fail just 1-2 times.

:D

Got to cast your bread on the water to catch fish.

And you know more than most about fish :o

Cheers

Stock control, theft, staff turnover, wastage, premises, legality, tea money, your permits, plus add another 100 things to think about and suddenly you have Bt3000 a day costs and zero income. For most people coming here on the 40k income, they don't have savings to run such a "business" until it reaches profitability.

the old lady and old man who have about 10 different thai foods in large pots on week days incur all of these costs? what about the guy selling ladies wallets next to them?

1. rent the space

2. buy the product

3. count how many of the product you have

4. hire someone to come there everyday

this would work better outside of central bangkok. there are a bunch of little tiny hole in the wall spaces on ramkenhang road by the university or outisde the mall bangkapi there is a covered market.

You wont make 400 baht a day doing this?

bangkok is a bustling city. minimum wage is 20 baht an hour. it shouldnt take Steve Jobs to find a way to make more than 40k baht a month without doing anything.

Edited by TonyLeung
You should do this fast.............make your millions. That way you can then afford to buy your bottles of whipped cream that are way over-priced. ( as per post of 4th November ) :o

if you took a survey among millionaires, id bet you find that they tend to think like this: this spray bottle of whipping creme is over priced at 160 baht a piece. the local thai lady managed to make her own. i should figure out how she did that, then i can save that money.

those who live month to month on their salary and dislike thinking buy the 160 baht spray bottle because its 'easier'.

the old lady and old man who have about 10 different thai foods in large pots on week days incur all of these costs? what about the guy selling ladies wallets next to them?

1. rent the space

2. buy the product

this would work better outside of central bangkok. there are a bunch of little tiny hole in the wall spaces on ramkenhang road by the university or outisde the mall bangkapi there is a covered market.

bangkok is a bustling city. minimum wage is 20 baht an hour. it shouldnt take Steve Jobs to find a way to make more than 40k baht a month without doing anything.

Her indoors has basically done just that.

Rented a stall in a high traffic area B10,000 deposit

Bought stock B40,000 (clothes)

She now regularly clears (and has done from the start 3 months ago) B70,000 / month.

She employs 1 girl B8,000/month to sit at the stall every day.

It also costs her about 1/2 day / week re-stocking and stocktaking.

Takings are deposited in an ATM at the end of every day.

Not bad for something she regards as a hobby and relaxation, means she shops till she drops and turns a profit at the same time.

No wonder she gets upset when I say she was hired for her looks :o

Cheers

Got to cast your bread on the water to catch fish.

And you know more than most about fish :o

Cheers

Absolutely, but as mentioned, not everyone can afford the bread and most end up losing it.

1. rent the space

2. buy the product

you made it sound so easy... make sure thai people like your product.