Constant Width Fonts

sunstate

Constant-width fonts look like utter crap. They were used in the 80's and early 90's on English-only DOS and early Windows software and was the only way to make them do something thai looked (kinda sorta) like Thai.

What you got was that every *character* took up an equal space, INCLUDING all vowels and tone markers, which of course is wrong because most vowels and all tone markers have to appear on top or below the consonant, not after it!

Some of these fonts are still around, Google for 'monospaced Thai font' You will find the likes of DB Thai and all those... God, blast from the past. This is ancient obsolete crap though.

Then as for matrix printers: Any font can be printed with a matrix printer as it will be in graphics mode anyway, not using any native fonts in the printer. Some Thai matrix printers have their own Thai fonts built in, in that case you would just use those. Mostly though, *IF* I still see matrix printers in use, they print stuff graphically using regular windows drivers and just any Thai font. I like Tahoma myself because the size in Thai and Enhlish looks roughly the same at the same point size, and line spacing isn't way over the place like with the old Thai fonts like Angsana, Cordia and friends.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Then as for matrix printers: Any font can be printed with a matrix printer as it will be in graphics mode anyway, not using any native fonts in the printer. Some Thai matrix printers have their own Thai fonts built in

Yes, that's right!!

and good for u if u use classic thai fonts such as Angsana upc, jusmine upc or lily upc.

but the others fonts like DB type PSL or JS i'm not sure u can print out.

Yes I am afraid it is a blast from the past however the fonts are for use with a Point of Sales System, which I am afraid does use dot matrix printers.

The resason that constant width fonts are needed is so that columns are in alignment.

I had hoped that I had left all of that technology behind in <>1990.

Some of these fonts are still around, Google for 'monospaced Thai font' You will find the likes of DB Thai and all those... God, blast from the past. This is ancient obsolete crap though.

DB Thai is proportional. There was a version that lied that it was fixed width so it could be used with Netscape.

One possible problem, of course, is getting these fonts to work with Unicode!