Chiang Rai To Laos

wdrk7

Hi to all ,

I need to go to laos from chiang rai . Someone told me that it is possible to go to Chiang Saen and take a boat in Huueisai and take another boat to Luang Prabang then take a flight back to thailand . Any idea ? Help needed Please . Thanks . :o

Hi to all ,

I need to go to laos from chiang rai . Someone told me that it is possible to go to Chiang Saen and take a boat in Huueisai and take another boat to Luang Prabang then take a flight back to thailand . Any idea ? Help needed Please . Thanks . :o

Taxi or bus C. Rai to Chiang KHONG, longtail boat across the Mekong to Ban Houei Sai.  At BHS, arrange your boat ride to Luang Prabang.  At LP, fly back to Chiang Mai or down to Bangkok.

FYI, three boat styles from BHS to LP:

--  fast boat, one day.  DON'T take it, can be dangerous

--  slower boat but real fancy, nice place to spend the night half way to LP at Pak Beng.

--  another slow boat, but this time the "local" cargo boat, not so comfortable but a lot cheaper, also spend the night at Pak Beng.

Mac

The route Mac suggests is fine. Done it several times but usually fly from LPB to Vientiane and then back into Thailand via NK

There is a good duty free shop at the Lao -Thai border crossing at NK.

Back to CM via Udon. Fly or bus

g

The bus trip from LP to Vientiane is really special if you have the time.

I'll vouch for that aswell, having travelled through Laos last year.

Well worth the bus journey, if you have the time, spectacular scenery/views to be seen. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Not really off topic (I don't think) Has anyone tried the overland from Huai Xai (Sai) to LP?

I keep hearing that the "new" road is being pushed through from inland Laos but can't find any news on progress.

Anyone heard anything?

Thanks chaps

AjarnP :o

• 2 weeks later...

Not really off topic (I don't think) Has anyone tried the overland from Huai Xai (Sai) to LP?

I keep hearing that the "new" road is being pushed through from inland Laos but can't find any news on progress.

Anyone heard anything?

Thanks chaps

I don't think there is a road from LP to Houay Xai. It runs from the Chinese border to Luang Namtha then south to Huay Xai on the Mekhong, opposite Chiang Khong in Thailand.

When I did the trip last year, we had to do a dog-leg north west from LP to Luang Namtha, then come down the route of the new road (then half finished, said to be completed by now) to Huay Xai.

You can get local buses (very slow but entertaining) or shared minibuses - the latter booked through travel agents who put groups together. It's a 2 day trip by this route. Luang Namtha is nothing to write home about but a good centre for trips to local hilltribe villages.

BTW, a propos of an earlier post, there is an under-publicised one day boat from Huay Xai to LP which is NOT the speedboat - in fact it is rather luxurious. I've taken it twice and others have also used it. It runs Wed and Sun, and one way costs 2,800 bt. The guy who runs it is an Indian-Thai called Adisak on <send a PM to Paul Hancock if you are interested>

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of eMail address as per forum rules

Anyone heard anything?

Thanks chaps

We went with our car from Chiang Rai to the border of Laos, Nongkhai, last year. Parked the car at the border for THB 20 a day and went by bus to Vientiane. The way to the border is about 10 hour drive. Nice views etc!

Edited by ISPY

i have heard some statistic that the fast boats have some serious crash weekly, though i don't know if its fact or rumor.

anyway i opted for the 2 day slow cargo boat, and i enjoyed it. certainly not 4 star comfort, but not without its own charm.

the bathroom was not too unlike hanging your but of the side of the boat.

i sat next to a very nice lao family and was able to talk for the two days as thai is quite close to passa lao.

if you're a chill person you might enjoy the slow ride...

i have heard some statistic that the fast boats have some serious crash weekly, though i don't know if its fact or rumor.

anyway i opted for the 2 day slow cargo boat, and i enjoyed it. certainly not 4 star comfort, but not without its own charm.

the bathroom was not too unlike hanging your but of the side of the boat.

i sat next to a very nice lao family and was able to talk for the two days as thai is quite close to passa lao.

if you're a chill person you might enjoy the slow ride...

The one day downstream boat I previously described from Huay Xai to LP, run by Khun Adisak, is NOT one of the small speedboats which I, too, have heard crash frequently. It is the same sized boat as those which take 2 days, but with a more powerful engine. (Plus, you don't have to hang your a*** over the side to answer the call of nature....)