Why Teach In Thailand?

splitlid

ok...

why are you teachers here?

not in this forum,but in Thailand?

did you come on holiday and decide you liked it cos of the bars/girls etc?

or

did you apply for the job overseas,not knowing what it would be like?

or

are some of you not teachers back home and have taken the teaching job here because its a means of staying in Thailand?

I am not a teacher, but years ago when I arrived here was suddenly on my own.

Opened a company, had the computers installed and no real idea how to use them. So I found a school who was willing to send me a teacher on Saturday nights to my office. After two Saturdays he suggested to cancel the school, he will come privately.

Turned out this English fellow had arrived in LoS back in the 1980-ies to install a computer system for his company who had a contract with a government-office here. After the job was finished he quit, stay with his Thai-wife and became a teacher, English, computers.

While my son was still in school, we were looking for help on maths and German as he visited a German speaking school but never spoke the language b4. Found a German fellow, who had married his girlfriend, adopted her 4 children and def. needed any Baht he could get. Worked in daytime for a trading company and was a bit shocked that I knew his boss. Kept my mouth shut.

Last but not least a European, I keep the Nationality off, as he is still here, arrived in LoS to retire with his savings of about US$ 100,000 which were gone within a year or so. Stuck here, without passport or visa, became a 'native English speaking' teacher for English language. Actually he worked than his a$$ off and is doing fairly well now or is he? At least finally managed to get his p/port and a visa/WP.

All is well that ends well? Not so sure, but all 3 examples from my personal experience.

Looking at previous threads, I would think that most are wanted criminals in their home countries, as they are so willing to work here, for such small salaries and also to risk being imprisoned for working without a work permit, to a wanted criminal working without a work permit in their minds is just a minor violation of the host countries laws.

I wonder if they will think that way if and or when they are arrested, locked up, fined, deported and blacklisted from Thailand.

you don't mind us being here do you? (the forum and thailand)...

did you come on holiday and decide you liked it cos of the bars/girls etc?
nope... i came on holiday & decided that i liked the friendly people, the climate, the outdoors life-style & the cost of living, which compared favourably to my native land...
did you apply for the job overseas,not knowing what it would be like?

nope... i applied for an ELT position after i had researched the local market following my arrival...

are some of you not teachers back home and have taken the teaching job here because its a means of staying in Thailand?

yes & no... i was not teaching back home but thought it may be a rewarding experience whilst i was living in the LoS...

adrian.gif

Looking at previous threads, I would think that most are wanted criminals in their home countries, as they are so willing to work here, for such small salaries and also to risk being imprisoned for working without a work permit, to a wanted criminal working without a work permit in their minds is just a minor violation of the host countries laws.

I wonder if they will think that way if and or when they are arrested, locked up, fined, deported and blacklisted from Thailand.

:o you've outed me know........

Not secrecy, indifference- considering how welcoming some of the "old" hands are here- wasn't it you on that other thread where your entire reply to my topic was I wouldn't know about pickpockets because I didn't have money (being a teacher, hohoho)- you shouldn't be too surprised if we don't take your threads so seriously, either.

:o

yes it was me who wrote that in the other thread.

what about it?

that has nothing to do with this thread does it?

think your being a little over sensative.seems you guys from Ajarn have had a hard time with flamers and trolls on there.

dont take it all so personally.

sorry if i upset you.

I applied for a postion from overseas not knowing what I was getting into. Took the TEFL course at home, read as much books as I could on Thailand and developed a serious longing to escape my home land and have some adventure. I figured a good challenge was in order, implanting myself within a foreign culture without a friend or ally and seeing how I would adapt, or if I could at all.

Once arriving here, I organised a taxi from the airport to my new employer, a school in the far south of Thailand. While peering at the strange and exotic villages passing by through the windows of a 1970's Toyota Corona, I came to think..."What have I got myself into now?". Self doubt, anxiety and regret started to posses my thoughts. This had the making of one serious mistake on my part (socially and financially).

But after that initial meltdown nearly 3 three years ago, I have never looked back nor felt those feelings of doubt. I have to come believe that this place is my home and I'm lucky to have found it. I'm very grateful to have had the courage to make that initial blind leap across the world.

I applied for a postion from overseas not knowing what I was getting into. Took the TEFL course at home, read as much books as I could on Thailand and developed a serious longing to escape my home land and have some adventure. I figured a good challenge was in order, implanting myself within a foreign culture without a friend or ally and seeing how I would adapt, or if I could at all.

One arriving here, I organised a taxi from the airport to my new employer, a school in the far south of Thailand. While peering at the passing villages through the windows of a 1970's Toyota Corona, I came to think..."What have I got myself into now"? Self doubt, anxiety and regret started to posses my thoughts.

But after that initial meltdown nearly 3 three years ago, I have never looked back nor felt those feelings of doubt. I have to come believe that this place is my home and I'm lucky to have found it. I'm very grateful to have had the courage to make that initial blind leap across the world.

thanks for a good reply.

anyone else??

harry palmer........

what about it?

think your being a little over sensative.seems you guys from Ajarn have had a hard time with flamers and trolls on there.

sorry if i upset you.

Ah, yes, and you have no problem with trolls on THIS board:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1117&st=45

Tell me another.

Apology accepted, provisionally- if I don't regret this in a few days, I'll come back to this thread and post more thoroughly.

"Steven"

what about it?

sorry if i upset you.

:D

Ah, yes, and you have no problem with trolls on THIS board:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1117&st=45

Tell me another.

Apology accepted, provisionally- if I don't regret this in a few days, I'll come back to this thread and post more thoroughly.

"Steven"

now we are all scared to bits... watch out... he'll attack you a stick of wet celery :o

Nah, Harry, the celery's all yours.

Ok, Splitlid- when I was working in Japan before I had an invitation to come teach here in Thailand. I was getting tired of Japan, so I decided to make the jump. Unfortunately, I assumed I was getting into the same kind of situation legally/contractually here- BIG MISTAKE! I had no idea how much lying, cheating, and general foggery is going on in school admins. and the gov't here. So it's been a rough time until recently, when I finally found a pretty good position and landed on my feet.

So, yes, I came here to teach.

"Steven"

Nah, Harry, the celery's all yours.

Ok, Splitlid- when I was working in Japan before I had an invitation to come teach here in Thailand. I was getting tired of Japan, so I decided to make the jump. Unfortunately, I assumed I was getting into the same kind of situation legally/contractually here- BIG MISTAKE! I had no idea how much lying, cheating, and general foggery is going on in school admins. and the gov't here. So it's been a rough time until recently, when I finally found a pretty good position and landed on my feet.

So, yes, I came here to teach.

"Steven"

ohhh you were in Japan!!

were you with your mates Begs and Yohan???

:o:D