Decent Mountain Bike Shop In Bkk?

simon43

Not really sure which forum to post this in.

I bought my mountain bike over to Phuket from the Uk. It's a very good quality machine. But I rode it on the beach, so some parts went rusty. My driver took it to the local bike shop to be fixed and they mutilated it! They had never seen quick-remove wheels, couldn't figure out how to remove the wheels, so just sawed off the spindles :o

They quoted 5,000 baht to fix the bike, but increased this to 9,000 baht when they saw that the owner was a farang. Interestingly, my driver also took his own rusty bike in for repair at the same shop and was charged all of 180 baht!!

So, they have returned my bike (dissassembled). I will repair it myself. It needs the wheel spindles and the pedal sprocket ball-bearing mount is broken.

Is there a decent mountain bike shop in BKK where I could obtain these parts? I'm loath to bin the bike because it cost over $2,000.

Simon

Recently visited Phuket and was impressed at the number of people riding bikes, thai and farang. I'm not talking 'bout your tesco's special but decent mountain bikes. Have a look round, there is/are/must be decent bike shops in Phuket, without the need to visit Bangkok

Here's a post I made awhile ago:

Here are a few I copied from postings on another site (no links to outer forums allowed). It was posted by Christopher Byrd.

I bought a bike from World Bike. Nice, good price and they'll send it anywhere in Thailand for you too. They'll also package your bike to send outside the country too.

Cheers

Macx

Probike

Location: 237/2 Ratchadamri Rd, Soi Sarasin, Lumpini, Pathumwan

(A short walk from the Ratchadamri BTS Station - Bikes allowed on BTS Sky Train but not MRT Underground unless fold-able)

Probike is located at the northwestern edge of Lumpini Park, Probike is one of the biggest importers of bicycles (Trek, Klein, Gary Fisher, and others) and bicycle accessories. You'll also find lots of information on biking events and routes here.

Saengthong

Although located out of town, Saengthong bike shop is frequented by both Thai and foreign tourists, and specializes in mountain bikes.

ThaiCannasia

The Cannondale Center (Thaicannasia), Bangkok is centrally located on Sukhumvit Soi 3, near Bamrungrad Hospital. They are the Exclusive Dealer for the full range of Cannondale Bikes, Clothing and Accessories as well as Mavic & ZIPP Wheels, Giro Helmets, the usual range of accessories and much more.

Viwat Bike

The shop, featuring a large variety of bicycles and accessories, is located near the Honda Bangkhen showroom and close to Yaek Lak Sii intersection.

Word Bike

Another large importer (Giant and other brands) that offers a huge selection of bicycles and accessories, odd parts, and many bargains. Service is good.

Peloton (formerly called SpinBike)

(across from the Thong Lor/Sukhumvit 55 and Petchaburi Rd. intersection.

Specializing in high-end road racing bikes, parts, and service.

Siam Bike

Well-rounded bicycle shop that has bikes for all occasions. Ranging from very high-end for pros to low-end for beginners. Some of the bike names they carry are: Colnago, Gary Fisher, BMC, Specialized, Trek, Jamis, and Merida.

There's a decent bike shop in Thalang. I don't have his number handy, but he's about 500m-1km or so past the Thalang intersection (going from Phuket Town to the airport) on the left. It's a small shop but he has everything you need. He carries Scott, Trek, GT, Giant, Fisher and so on. Prices are negotiable.

i know you are asking about bkk, simon, but the following bike shops are in phuket:

Beach Boy Bike Shop

Tel. +66(0) 76 330244

27 Patak Rd., Karon Beach, Muang, Phuket 83100

Mongkol Panich Phuket

Tel. +66(0) 76 216506

199 Talang Rd., Muang, Phuket 83000

Thalang Bike

Tel. +66(0) 76 274352

59/1 Moo 1, Thepkrasattri Road, Thalang, Phuket 83110

Yodwith Bicycles (K.V. Cycle)

Tel. +66(0) 76 256164

82/2-3 Bangkok Road, Muang, Phuket 83000

i have heard good reviews about Beach Boy and Thalang Bike.

I kinow about the Thalang bike shop and he is good. But the last few times I've driven past (slowly), I never found his shop open and wonder if he has actually closed down, (he used to have an old bike hanging outside at 1st floor level and it doesn't seem to be there anymore).

I actually asked my driver to take my bike to Thalang Bikes, but he presumably also found him closed and went instead to Somchai's scrap iron and abattoir shop.....

In any case, I found the Probike website and all looks very good. I made a little list of the initial bits that I need (not too much) and I'll try to visit their shop on Monday when I'm in BKK.

BTW, my bike is a GT Avalanche frame, Shimano ccombination gears/brakes, 21 speed blah blah blah.

On a related subject, how on earth do I stop the rustible bits on the bike from rusting? I ride along the beaches and these bike parts almost rust before my eyes! Can you get non-rustible chains for example?

Simon

On a related subject, how on earth do I stop the rustible bits on the bike from rusting? I ride along the beaches and these bike parts almost rust before my eyes! Can you get non-rustible chains for example?

Simon

On a decent quality mountain bike there is almost nothing that will rust. However the drivetrain, (gears & chain), will rust if you do not clean them regularly, (like after every single ride if you go to the beach). Then you will need to dry the water off and lube with a chain lube or WD40 type stuff if you are desperate. The only other rustable parts are bolt head that can be dabbed with a light coating of grease once they are clean. Best of all get off of the beach and find some trails. Thailand is littered with them and they are great fun.

Probike will give you a detailed cleaning routine and tell you what is best to buy. I have dealt with Khun Wan and Khun Jackie, they are both very helpful and speak English.

Simon,

I had the pedal sprocket bearings replaced on my Jamis Mountain Bike at Beach Boy in Kata. 1 day and 600 baht.

P

I am glad this was mentioned because this clearly shows the difference between quality and cost. (pgrin, please don't take this as a flame, i'm just trying to make a point).

I am guessing that you mean bottom bracket, (pedal sprocket bearings), as pedals don't have sprockets. I am sure "Beach Boy did a fine job with your bearings. However Simon mentioned in the OP that his bike is "a very good quality machine". I checked some prices for quality bottom brackets and for an XTR M952 you would expect to pay more than 2300 Baht before fitting. I know too many people that buy quality bikes and then put cheap replacement parts on them when they break/wear out. 600 Baht is fine if it's a cheap bike but certainly not if you want it to last.

I do not know how many components you need replacing or the age of the frame but as you said that you need the 'pedal sprocket ball-bearing mount' (sic) replacing and as nidge has already suggested that you may mean the bottom bracket leads me to suspect that it is not a recent model.

Now if some of your components are rusty may also mean that the frame is not in the same position - if the outer appearance appears shiny and unblemished does not say anything about the internal surfaces! I have known of numerous frames breaking due to internal rust (I am assuming that it is a steel frame).

Now, let's examine the options - if you want to replace the parts yourself, do you have the tools and knowledge to do so? If you need to replace the bottom bracket and axle, you need the correct size, possibly new cups and crank extractor - that's just for starters!

Buy a new groupset - that's gears, levers, brakes and brake levers, bottom bracket and possibly new hubs - can work out very expensive!

Replace just the parts you need but your other components are the same age and mileage, what happens if they fail? Replace them one by one? It works out more expensive that way.

Retire the old bike and buy a new one? That would possibly be your best option - you have had your money's worth out of the old one and bike technology has come on fast in the last few years.

You can get a new Trek 3900 for 8500Baht - 24 speed, front suspension, I would not suggest a full suspension bike for you.

Hope this helps.

I kinow about the Thalang bike shop and he is good. But the last few times I've driven past (slowly), I never found his shop open and wonder if he has actually closed down, (he used to have an old bike hanging outside at 1st floor level and it doesn't seem to be there anymore).

I actually asked my driver to take my bike to Thalang Bikes, but he presumably also found him closed and went instead to Somchai's scrap iron and abattoir shop.....

In any case, I found the Probike website and all looks very good. I made a little list of the initial bits that I need (not too much) and I'll try to visit their shop on Monday when I'm in BKK.

BTW, my bike is a GT Avalanche frame, Shimano ccombination gears/brakes, 21 speed blah blah blah.

Simon

if you keep a chain oiled it wont rust.

Simon

if you keep a chain oiled it wont rust.

Chain may not rust but it will sure as day follows night pick up grit and sand which act like grinding past and wear the chains plates and rollers. After every ride clean the chain with a de greaser (WD40 is OK) then re lube with a water based lube such as Pedros Ice Wax. WD 40 is not the right stuff to lube a chain though we all use it. My mechanics in all of my 5 Singapore bike shops had a saying: WD stands for water displacement and 40 is for the IQ of the person using it on his chain. At all costs keep it away from your BB it will wash out all the lube from the sealed bearings.

Bottom brackets come in different lengths, if the spindle length is incorrect the chain line will be wrong then you will have an even bigger problem. Each groupset uses a different bottom bracket length, best to see what is written on it UN 51 or something like that and often the overall length is shown in mm. If it is a generic BB then measure yours with a vernier from end to end and get the same length. Threads and end cups are usually one size unless it is an early GT.

Had to laugh at the OP's bike shop cutting off the QR spindles, sure hope they were not Titanium

Modern Cro MO frames hardly rust they are a mixture of chrome, molybidinum and steel, the cheap hi tensile steel frames will rust in the shop.

The bike frame etc has not rusted (it cannot!). But the chain was rusted and the bottom bracket sealed unit was broken. Plus superficial rust on bolt heads and cables. The bike was hardly used in the UK, so was only a few years old.

I thought that giving it to the bike-shop would be a quick fix. But after seeing the sawn-off wheel spindles, I decided that self-repair is a better option.

Thanks for the advice here, I can also take it (if necessary) to a competent bike shop if all else fails.

Simon

• 2 years later...

Jeez, I wish I had checked out this forum six months ago before I took my flash mountain bike into the Cannondale shop on Soi 26 for a servicing - thieves broke in to the shop and stole my my bike and few others several others.

The Brit owner, apologized for the incident and admitted that they didn’t have insurance for “clients” bikes, but they would “do me right” and replace the bike. He then showed me the cheapest Cannondale on the floor and said “how about this”? I explained that my bike was a US$3,000 Yeti purchased with my bonus cheque in 2005, and while four years old, in good condition and I expect something better.

Well, six months, 51 emails, 10 phone calls and seven trips to the shop later, I’m presented with a "reconditioned" Trek with used, nonfunctioning brakes and a set of out of production bottom-of-the-line RockSkox forks. I called the owner's wife on Wednesday to ask for at least an upgrade on the broken brakes and said "no way" and my old bike was !$Z@X&! and "if you don’t like it, sue me!”. Not nice folks at all. Go to Probike.

Speaking of rust, just a quick warning. I bought a Trek mountain bike from probike. It became rusty within months. Just about everything attached to the frame became more and more rusty as time went on. I am not talking about the sprocket and chain, but everything else. The screws to adjust the derailers are so small and rusty they were ruined in about a year. Other components just look very bad. I followed the user manual for caring for and cleaning the bike, kept it out of the rain and never used it near the beach. At the price they are selling these bikes outfitted at about 20,000 baht, I found all the cheap steel components attached to an otherwise decent, light aluminum frame a great disappointment. I can only assume the reason probike did not warn me about the rusty parts issues is they feared I might look elsewhere. Sorry as I know some people recommend probike, but they failed to meet my simplest quality expectations. If I were to buy a bike again, I would elsewhere that puts a higher emphasis on quality components.