Long-term Parking Disaster

jaapfries

On a recent trip to Europe, my wife and I decided to use the Long-Term-Parking facility at the new Suvarnabuhmi Airport. We had our Check-In at around 23:00 PM and arrived well before that time at the Airport complex. The signs directing us to the Long-Term Parking (LTP) was very adequate and we had no problems finding it. Drove through a little wicket, where they gave us a ticket, so far so good. This LTP facility is huge and can probably hold thousands of cars. When we got there, there were mayby 30 cars parked there. Of course, we parked as close to where we suspected the pick-up point of the courtesy bus to be.

At the time, there was a slight drizzle and here and there were large pools (fairly deep) of water. No problem; git the suitcases and hand-luggage out and avoided most poodles by steering around them. Then we had to cross some grass areas (nobody had though of putting pedestrian walkways through these areas, much less little ramps meant for suitcases and/or wheelchairs.

So; had to "wade" through these soaked grass-areas until we reached the bus-station. This station did have some roof over it, but was full of gaps, so no drier than standing in the rain.

The a bus came; not a specially designed "courtesy" bus, with low floor; extra wide entrance/exits, but a normal type of bus. I got my wife on board with the hand-lugage and started back to get the first of our two (very heavy) suitcases, when the driver started to close the doors and started to dirve off . . . . . after a loud yell from me, he stopped and opened the (narrow) door again and waited this time, until I had managed to drag our two suitcases on board . . . . . There was no place to sit, because the bus was full with what quickly appeared to be Airport-employees going either on, or off a shift. Strange, we thought, but never mind. So; while standing the entire 10 minute trip to the terminal, with my feet soaked by the poodles and my face dripping with perspiration due to the heavy lifting and stress, the driver did his utmost to knock me and my cases over, fortunately, my wife had been able to get a seat.

Upon our return to Thailand, we went to the ground-floor kerb, as directed by the signs ("Courtesy Bus Long-Term Parking") and waited until a bus came. Didn't take too long, but it was, again, a regular type bus, full of employees and the whole scenario was repeated. Big difference was, this bus did not go to the LTP, but instead to some Bus-Terminal. We were told to get off and grab a "red-Bus" if we wanted to get anywhere near our car . . . . So; out of the first bus (with all of our belongings and heavy suitcases) and a bit later back on yet another bus, with all of our belongings and heavy suitcases. Remember; this is after an all night flight, during which it was impossible to sleep, due to loud conversationalists in our vicinity . . . . .

Fortunately, the weather was clear and we did not have to wade through mud and poodles from the little bus-stop to where our car was parked. Once aboard, we drove to the wicket to leave the LTP-compound, but there was no person manning the exit booth . . . . . . . I had to get out of my car and walked around a bit. Then I notices the entrance booth's window was half open, but also appeared unmanned. Only when I stuck my head inside that window, did I notice a female lying in her chair, fast asleep, with her jersey draped over her head to shield her from light and noise, no doubt . . . . . .

After a few loud yells, she eventually woke up and took my ticket.

My wife and I are in the Service Industry and have been for many years. We're not wingers, or complainers. We have appreciation for all people involved in this great industry, but the basics have to be right and correct and it is blatently obvious that this LTP discipline at the new Airport leaves a heck-of-a-lot to be desired.

Next time ? We simply take a taxi fro/to Pattaya and shall avoid the Long-Term-Parking "Sevice" with a passion !

J. & C. Klasema

Pattaya

What were the daily/weekly fees for the long term parking? How long was your trip? I take it this parking is open, that is, your car bakes in the sun all day long?

Probably adviseable to drop off the wife and luggage at the terminal, while you go park?

What would you be doing at $6 us dollars a day with only a minor chance of a tip? :o exactly . When things happen like they do in the west it will no longer be Thailand and then everyone will say toooo expensive go somewhere else. I live in a new condo on suhk and every night after 10 all the security are fast asleep so why are they there? off topic a bit I recently threw a crazy drunken girlfriend out of my high security apartment via the lift of course. there is no way you can get to my floor without passing 4 security guards and then a swipe card for the lift. 15 mins later a sleepy security guard knocks on my door and the girl slips back in and he salutes me and wonders off back downstairs.. what the fuc_k! amazing Thailand

Which I have now started to do for those short trips abroad but seeing as it is short term parking there is a limit on the number of days you can leave your car there so it's not a solution for longer periods.

That is of course providing they actually care about those vehicles that remain there longer than they should...

Maximum 21 days. Don't know if this is strictly enforced. Doubt it.

cheers

onzestan

The long term parking situation at the new world class Airport has a few kinks to work out....has been open only a year.

These things take time.

Practically nobody uses it because the normal covered parking is much more convenient (and covered and with security) for only 100 baht more per day.

Cheers

onzestan

The long term parking situation at the new world class Airport has a few kinks to work out....has been open only a year.

These things take time.

Practically nobody uses it because the normal covered parking is much more convenient (and covered and with security) for only 100 baht more per day.

Cheers

onzestan

if the 2 dollars extra is to much then leave the car at home .

These things take time.

padthaiguy is nicer than me on that. Thais arranging things for Thais - as the arrangements sound like as described by the OP, ....will tolerate 4th rate service, and 5th rate logistics. However, if it's a part (even peripheral) of what's supposed to be a world class airport, then the standard needs to go up. I hope the AOT bosses not only hear such stories but act responsibly to improve them. From reading the OP's thread, it sounds like a few low cost additions (cement walkway, fixed roof, etc) would make a world of difference. Alas, this is Thailand, and often the lowest common denominator suffices.

• 3 weeks later...
Which I have now started to do for those short trips abroad but seeing as it is short term parking there is a limit on the number of days you can leave your car there so it's not a solution for longer periods.

That is of course providing they actually care about those vehicles that remain there longer than they should...

Maximum 21 days. Don't know if this is strictly enforced. Doubt it.

cheers

onzestan

I asked about this at 2 different AOT information desks in SUV yesterday and they both told me that time is unlimited in the short term car park, you just have to pay the daily fee of 250 baht.

at 140 baht per day that equates to 1,960 for a 2 week holiday. Add your petrol (guessing about 500 baht Pty - Svb return) you are looking at approx 2,500 which would pay for a nice taxi both ways.

Why drive?

Because I care a lot more about my family and myself than some crazed Thai taxi driver who doesn't have child seats for my kid or even seat belts for passengers.

Whilst I appreciate the child seat thing, I cannot see why anyone else who did not have such a need would use the LTP. When you add up the taxi cost and the parking charge it is cheaper to use the more convenient taxi than drive yourself.

I have used the short term parking for a couple of days no problem.

I asked about this at 2 different AOT information desks in SUV yesterday and they both told me that time is unlimited in the short term car park, you just have to pay the daily fee of 250 baht.

Left my car at short term parking from Friday until yesterday (Monday). Paid 1,000THB for the four days.

Big sign on all the booths with the prices indicate a maximum stay of 21 days.

Was tehre Saturday night and the only signs I saw were the hoursly rates and 24 hours, no maximum stay days?