Single Malts

sceadugenga

I have a bottle of the best whisky in the world, an Irish whisky called Black Bush from the oldest distillery in the world, Bushmills in Northern Ireland but being a teetotaler I haven't tasted it. You're welcome anytime to try it out and give your judgement.

Thanks Tayto, I'll take you up on that one day.

Thanks also Dr G, I know the shop you mean and did consider it as an option. The guy that asked me about it doesn't go to Burma though (for reasons I won't go into), and I'm not due for a visa trip until January, and I'll be blessed if I'm making a special trip for him.

• 1 year later...
I have a bottle of the best whisky in the world, an Irish whisky called Black Bush from the oldest distillery in the world, Bushmills in Northern Ireland but being a teetotaler I haven't tasted it. You're welcome anytime to try it out and give your judgement.

Missing Tayto. His strange Irish ways used to brighten up our lives. When is he going to be allowed back in. He might be able to be given probation eh?

The booze shop along from ECC towards the cross roads, on the same side, has a very wide selection of hooch of many kinds. Whiskies, brandies, sherry and my favourite Pernod and Pastis. I reckon the best selection in town.

Don't know if you mean this one. It is located on the street downtown on which all the banks are located. IF you considere that the street runs north and south more or less, the shop would be on the east side, south of Bangkok Bank, about 2 blocks. Run by a man with a huge red veined nose and has a very large selection of Scotchs. He must be an experienced drinker with his nose. Sorry, I just can't get his face out of my mind now.

Correction! "oldest licensed whiskey distillery" Licensed in 1608 in fact.

Whether it is the best is debatable (and I have tasted it!) but it is OK

Indeed it is very palatable, but sadly my bottle is all but empty :o

Edited by john b good

Whisky comes from Scotland, whiskey from Ireland, or Eire if you prefer.

I recently tasted an alleged (printed on the box) 'single malt' called 'Loch Lomond', from Tachilek D/F for 400 Baht, which I doubt had ever been within a thousand miles of Scotland. It had a reasonable smoky taste, and a very rough pure-grain-alcohol bouquet, IMO. But would have gone well with (Warning ... heresy alert !) soda-water ! Caveat Emptor. :o

Agreed that the the buyer must beware at Tachilek.

However, price is usually a guide. Single malts can rarely be found for 400B.

I had similar doubts about a fine old drop sold there as "High Commissioner" (also bottled by "Loch Lomond" distillery) until I did a Google search and found it is bottled mainly for sale in UK super markets at a RRP of £9.

Whisky comes from Scotland, whiskey from Ireland, or Eire if you prefer.

I recently tasted an alleged (printed on the box) 'single malt' called 'Loch Lomond', from Tachilek D/F for 400 Baht, which I doubt had ever been within a thousand miles of Scotland. It had a reasonable smoky taste, and a very rough pure-grain-alcohol bouquet, IMO. But would have gone well with (Warning ... heresy alert !) soda-water ! Caveat Emptor. :o

Bushmills is distilled (and bottled) in Antrim, Northern Ireland "not Eire"

I used to enjoy a bottle of " Paddy " whiskey when back in the UK. One of the smoothest I've tasted. Much better then a Glen Morangie. Whenever I used to ask in the off license if they had any Paddy whiskey they nearly always offered me Bushmills ha ha ha :o

Loch Lomond is indeed a malt from Loch Lomond.

Its not a whisky to be taken dry.

Taken wet its OK.

Not long back the D/F shop had some Islay whiskies:-

Caol Islay and Lagavulin.

Both can be taken dry and are a rand dram

g

Don't ever share a single malt whiskey with a Thai.

A few years ago I brought in 2 litres of Glenfidich, gave one to my bro-in-law who had picked us up from Cmai Airport. Well mine was sipped, savoured and half drunk after 6 weeks, the other bottle GONE after 6 hours, mixed with liberal quantities of soda, and swilled down the gullets of several whiskey ignorant mates of the bro-in-law, tragic! If I'd just put Mekhong in the bottle they would never have known the difference.

They seem to consider that "100 Pipers" a quality drop for the more discerning drinker.

It's certainly a lot cheaper than Glenfiddich.

I doubt very much that "100 Pipers" has ever see the high road or the low road, let alone the lochs and the braes!

Au contraire...

100 Pipers Blended Scotch Whisky was first produced by Chivas Brothers and sold to Seagrams around 1949.

The name '100 Pipers' was taken from the '100 Pipers who proceeded Scotland's legendary hero, Bonnie Prince Charlie, into battle'.

100 Pipers is a blend of between 25 and 30 whiskies.

Link

Au contraire...

100 Pipers Blended Scotch Whisky was first produced by Chivas Brothers and sold to Seagrams around 1949.

The name '100 Pipers' was taken from the '100 Pipers who proceeded Scotland's legendary hero, Bonnie Prince Charlie, into battle'.

100 Pipers is a blend of between 25 and 30 whiskies.

Link

I think 100 Pipers is an OK Whisky. A year ago I bought 100 Pipers Blended Malt and that was a very good whisky for the price (at that time 480 baht for 70 cl). But I have not seen it the last couple of months.

Have you checked the 571 different Single Malt you can order in the link I posted earlier?

:D:o:D

Loch Lomond is indeed a malt from Loch Lomond.

Its not a whisky to be taken dry.

Taken wet its OK.

Thanks for the correction & tip, I had a look at their web-site too, but still found it pretty rough.

I'm currently enjoying, one sip at a time, a Macallan 12-year malt. :o