Single Malts

sceadugenga

I had a bottle of Glenmorangie and shared it with the HISO neighbors on New Year's Eve. Will never do it again. It will be 100 Pipers from now on...

Don't ever share a single malt whiskey with a Thai.

A few years ago I brought in 2 litres of Glenfidich, gave one to my bro-in-law who had picked us up from Cmai Airport. Well mine was sipped, savoured and half drunk after 6 weeks, the other bottle GONE after 6 hours, mixed with liberal quantities of soda, and swilled down the gullets of several whiskey ignorant mates of the bro-in-law, tragic! If I'd just put Mekhong in the bottle they would never have known the difference.

Well, 100 Pipers is a blend, not a single malt, as mentioned above.

It's OK, but in that price category I much prefer Benmore.

Lots more flavour, IMHO.

"100 Pipers" and "100 Pipers Blended Malt" are two different Whiskys.

But the "Blended Malt" cost close to 600 today. McAllen Eleganzia, 12 years, in Tachilek for 1500 for a 1 ltr bottle is a much better deal!

:o:D:D

Never seen McAllen Eleganzia.

Is this from the well known Macallan distillery ?

{ The Macallan Scotch Whisky Distillery

The Macallan Distillery, Craigellachie, Banffshire AB38 9RX. }

How does it compare with the 10 or 12 year old Macallan

g

Never seen McAllen Eleganzia.

Is this from the well known Macallan distillery ?

Scea is right, it is The Macallan Elegancia, 12 years old, exclusively matured in selected oloroso & fine sherry oak casks from Jerez, Spain.

My dear wife bought two bottles in the duty free shop in Tachilek, around 1500 bath each (1 liter).

Lovely whisky!

:o:D:D

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Don't ever share a single malt whiskey with a Thai.

A few years ago I brought in 2 litres of Glenfidich, gave one to my bro-in-law who had picked us up from Cmai Airport. Well mine was sipped, savoured and half drunk after 6 weeks, the other bottle GONE after 6 hours, mixed with liberal quantities of soda, and swilled down the gullets of several whiskey ignorant mates of the bro-in-law, tragic! If I'd just put Mekhong in the bottle they would never have known the difference.

This tickles me. I have an identical story concerning my BIL, almost. The difference is, I continued bringing him a bottle of Glenfiddich every time I came here on R&R several times a year. Only when I stopped working and settled here, did I learn that each time I delivered the good stuff, it was mixed with terrible choices of other liquids and consumed in one short evening by three or four men who didn't know better. That was the last time I spent that kind of money on whiskey for any of my family.

Concerning the duty-free in Mae Sai, I have found that another liquor shop on that side has better prices than the so-called duty-free. I bought a bottle of Bailey's at the duty-free, and then walked to the next shop and found it for nearly 100 baht less. I checked prices on a few other choices and found the same thing. No more duty-free for me. I don't even cross the border these days.

Is there a duty free shop in Mae Sai? Or are you talking about Tachilek?

I've found the shop opposite Myanmar immigration worth a look because they often have specials. There's a couple of other shops in the town (Tachilek) that have good all round prices as well as specials, one I came across last year had 3 bottles of Australian red wine for 500 baht.

Is there a duty free shop in Mae Sai? Or are you talking about Tachilek?

I've found the shop opposite Myanmar immigration worth a look because they often have specials. There's a couple of other shops in the town (Tachilek) that have good all round prices as well as specials, one I came across last year had 3 bottles of Australian red wine for 500 baht.

Yes, you are right. It isn't Mae Sai, but across the bridge.

I didn't notice any specials on other liquors when I was at the duty-free or at the other place. I wasn't looking. But I did scan the prices on the few favorites I have. Other than what I drink, I don't pay attention to what a shop carries. There may have been LOTS of specials on other items in the duty-free and the other place. I never fall into impulse shopping for liquor. I always know what I want and I go right to it. With my personality flaws, I can't afford to start dabbling and trying this or that when it comes to liquor. I just stick to what I know I can handle in small portions.

The Bailey's purchase was planned weeks in advance and that duty free shop was the wife's suggestion. Did I tell you she was Thai? Do you know what happens to a Thai woman when she makes a purchase and then finds the same item at another shop only a few meters away at a significantly (to her) lower price? It isn't pretty, nor is the rest of her day. It's funnier than heck, but it isn't pretty.

I buy the Glenfiddich here in town. She doesn't even mention the duty-free any more. HA!!! But she does go with me to make sure I get the best price. They don't carry the older, more expensive Glenfiddich, which makes the wife say to me "HA!! When she does that, I just remind her of the duty-free incident. HA!!!

Edited by kandahar

I confess I no longer drink, but still occasionally shop for alcohol for or with others. I'm definitely an impulse buyer but cannot resist a bargain.

My wife (also Thai) cares little for shopping, just goes and buys and is indifferent to price differences. The only time I've seen her put out by price fluctuations was when when she sold some of her gold at 9000B, assuring me it would soon drop to 5000B and she would buy it back at a profit.

I never found out who her financial advisor was in transaction but I frequently point out the price at gold shops we walk past.

I confess I no longer drink, but still occasionally shop for alcohol for or with others. I'm definitely an impulse buyer but cannot resist a bargain.

My wife (also Thai) cares little for shopping, just goes and buys and is indifferent to price differences. The only time I've seen her put out by price fluctuations was when when she sold some of her gold at 9000B, assuring me it would soon drop to 5000B and she would buy it back at a profit.

I never found out who her financial advisor was in transaction but I frequently point out the price at gold shops we walk past.

That's funny! I'm sure she appreciates your keen eye.

I read that you gave up drinking. I'm not a "drinker" but I like a little of what I like once in a while. Once in a LONG while. And that's okay. I got most of mine out of the way when I was a lot younger and before I had a family. So, I know what I'm missing.

I thought all Thai women were pretty tight with the baht but I don't know ALL of them. All of the ones I know seem to be on the same sheet of music and find much glee in notifying each other of a price that they missed out on, even if it is only a few baht.

My wife doesn't care for shopping for herself. In fact, if she gets anything new, it is likely that I bought it and gave it to her and got chewed out for it. But she is very aware of the baht we both spend. Because paying too much for an item gets her goat so bad, I can't help but find humor in it and, all the more when it happens while she's going out of her way to "save a few baht".

Along the lines of your wife and her gold, my wife will often sell off one stock or another based on some kind of information that just won't find a connection with my brain and then, after I have questioned the logic of it, the prices goes up. I find good fun in that as well. Overall, she's an ace with the market and she's very good at ignoring the advise of professional advisers and making good on it. So, for all of her tight-fistedness, I can't complain.