Wishing To Become English Language Teacher

dsfbrit

I am a 53 year old expat living in Pattaya. I have a University degree in Maths and Computing and would like to start teaching English in the Pattaya area.

I have no real knowledge of the teaching profession in Thailand and apart from training courses I conducted for employees over many years, I have no teaching experience at all.

I have a reasonable knowledge of English Grammar rules, having learnt German some years ago and also spending the last 3+ years learnig to read/wirte and speak Thai.

I intend to brush up on these skills and enrol on a TEFL course.

All that I have read about TEFL courses leads me to believe that the CELTA Cambridge course is the best.

However, I cannot find one of these near Pattaya, so would like to know if this qualification is a major advantage. For example, there is a non-CELTA course in Jomtien, would someone please advise me if this is a useful course for me to take. I will only ever teach in Thailand.

It also offers jobs - any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks for you help, no doubt I will have lots more questions !!!

Edited by Ijustwannateach
No links, please.

If you were young and energetic, intending to teach EFL forever (for a pittance), then the "Cambridge CELTA" would teach you how to teach English to adults anywhere in the world. But as Ijustwannateach has already mentioned, Thailand has many providers of TEFL courses, most of which would train you to teach children in Thailand (and everywhere) as well as adults, and at a cheaper price. Again, search the topics here in this forum, and do your homework in searching.

Fair comments, from which you have confirmed my 'gut feeling', that as long as the Ministry Of Education recognizes the course, then that will be sufficient qualification for me to teach in Thailand.

Thanks guys, I will go and investigate and maybe have more questions sometime in the future.

Edited by dsfbrit

Fair comments, from which you have confirmed my 'gut feeling', that as long as the Ministry Of Education recognizes the course, then that will be sufficient qualification for me to teach in Thailand.

Thanks guys, I will go and investigate and maybe have more questions sometime in the future.

I would not assume it will be "sufficient qualification" to teach in all schools in Thailand.

Some, possibly. All, no way.

Teaching maths is a good idea, but not really what I enjoy. Over the last period I have helped quite a few Thais to learn some English. I really enjoyed it and being able to speak, read and write Thai reasonably well, the people appreciated explanations and language structure comparisons in Thai.

I know its not always acceptable to explain a new language in the mother tongue of the learner, but I prefer that method. I know when I learnt German, there was a reluctance to explain anything in English and I cannot say it helped me learn any quicker.

My hope is that I can get into a friendly environment, big school or private language school is not that important. I may even take a job at the language school where I have been learning Thai for the last 3 years - they have asked me to teach there often enough and until now I have been reluctant to get involved.

Oh well back to all the threads about TEFL. One thing I would like to ask though - I would like to buy a decent (1 or more) English Grammar books. Any advice ??? There are lots out there !

I know I can search the threads, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dsfbrit

Rather than learn English or grammar, you should concentrate on learning how to teach....many people know a lot about a particular subject but have no idea how to teach.

It always amazes me how everyone has an opinion on teaching even if the only experience they ever had was on the receiving end at school.....would they tell a doctor or engineer what to do in such stringent terms???

Rather than learn English or grammar, you should concentrate on learning how to teach....many people know a lot about a particular subject but have no idea how to teach.

It always amazes me how everyone has an opinion on teaching even if the only experience they ever had was on the receiving end at school.....would they tell a doctor or engineer what to do in such stringent terms???

Curiously I am able to multi-task, but I take your point. On another thread it was recommended I buy 'Training for Dummies by Elaine Biech', which I shall do. Now any advice on a good Engish Grammar book? I have several anyway, but as I am about to buy a new one I would rather get the latest and best.

Curiously I am able to multi-task, but I take your point. On another thread it was recommended I buy 'Training for Dummies by Elaine Biech', which I shall do. Now any advice on a good Engish Grammar book? I have several anyway, but as I am about to buy a new one I would rather get the latest and best.

The book by Micheal Swann (i can't remember the exact title but it's something like English Grammar Usage) is generally considered the best to be used as a reference for yourself.

If you are looking for something to teach from then get the Raymond Murphy series(Essential Grammar in Use, English Grammar in Use and Advanced Grammar in Use).

Training for Dummies is excellent and is availible from Kinokuniya in Bangkok and if you're feeling particularly enthusiastic may I also recommend "Use your Memory" by Tony Buzan which is availible from B2S in Pattaya.

Not a teaching book by any means but many of the memory techniques outlined in his book can be utilized in the EFL classroom to help your students remember the information presented to them.

I have Training for Dummies, Use your memory and the Essential Grammar in Use series which your quite welcome to take a look at. I live in central Pattaya. PM me if you would like to meet up and look at the books prior to ordering them.

Good luck. I can see that you're prepared to put in the groundwork prior to starting to teach and I think you will become an effective EFL teacher.

Edited by Asiacat

The book by Micheal Swann (i can't remember the exact title but it's something like English Grammar Usage) is generally considered the best to be used as a reference for yourself.

If you are looking for something to teach from then get the Raymond Murphy series(Essential Grammar in Use, English Grammar in Use and Advanced Grammar in Use).

Training for Dummies is excellent and is availible from Kinokuniya in Bangkok and if you're feeling particularly enthusiastic may I also recommend "Use your Memory" by Tony Buzan which is availible from B2S in Pattaya.

Not a teaching book by any means but many of the memory techniques outlined in his book can be utilized in the EFL classroom to help your students remember the information presented to them.

I have Training for Dummies, Use your memory and the Essential Grammar in Use series which your quite welcome to take a look at. I live in central Pattaya. PM me if you would like to meet up and look at the books prior to ordering them.

Good luck. I can see that you're prepared to put in the groundwork prior to starting to teach and I think you will become an effective EFL teacher.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going back to the UK in the New Year for 2 weeks, so will pop up to Foyles and Universal Stationers in London and collect a copy of each - should be able to reserve online before I go.

Tony Buzan books bring back happy memories of University 30 years ago. We used his books for ambiguous logic examples. I recall this being one his ambiguous sentences we had to discuss:

"Time flies like an arrow"

Thanks again

Dave

the thing is you are making assumptions about what you will need to teach.

Whereas a good knowledge of English Grammar may seem important now and will always be useful to you, it may not necessarily be the first thing you need to teach English - especially ESL as many would argue that teaching of grammar in the form of rules etc can just as well be left to the Thai English teachers.

If you sit down in a class and start thumping out grammar to them, the chances are you very soon won't have a class....learn to teach and what to teach before you run out and buy a load of books you don't need.

PS - you'll find multi-tasking an invaluable aid in any class-room!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback - I will take the advice onboard and I have added all the books to my 'potential books to buy list'.

Thanks again

Dave

This list complied at Amazon may also be useful to you Dave...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CELTA-These-Only-B...tpa_f_1_rdssss0

Edited by janetdoe

Just a short update and several more questions.

I have been to visit the 'TEFL Intercontinental' school in Pattaya and was quite impressed. There are 2 prices for the 8 week course. The lower price of around 25000 Baht is for the TEFL training and exam only. For a higher fee of around 45000 Baht, they guarantee to get you a job as well. The course is 5 days in the classroom and then 80 hours in a teaching/observer capacity.

The advice I would appreciate is this. Even though I will probably not be teaching children in the long term, would the best experience be training/assessment in a large school environment? Would this be better training than the 'gentler' option of a small language school with adults.

In the long term, I expect I would opt to teach in a small language school or at company premises (if anyone wil have me!!!), but as I have never taught before I thought that the experience of a large school environment may benefit me.

I Have not yet been to visit the 'Text-And-Talk-Academy', the other school in Pattaya recommended by forum members. I will go there next week.

Neither courses are CELTA, but I have taken the advice offered here and elsewhere, that I do not really need CELTA for what I am wanting to do. If I am wrong, then I can travel to Bangkok and take that course at a later date.

I have ordered the following books from Bookazine in Central Pattaya, Carrefour Mall, they were very helpful and even had book number 1.3 in stock.

1. Books Ordered

------------------------------

1.1. Oxford Pocket Basic English Usage (by Michael Swan)

1.2. Essential Grammar in Use (by Raymond Murphy)

1.3. English Grammar in Use (by Raymond Murphy)

1.4. Advanced English Grammar in Use (by Raymond Murphy)

1.5. How To Teach English, (by Jeremy Harmer (Longman, 1998))

1.6. Grammar For English Language Teachers, (by Martin Parrott (CUP, 2000)).

2. Books Still To Acquire

--------------------------------------

2.1. Learning Teaching (by Jim Scrivener ****get from where****).

2.1. Use Your Memory 'Tony Buzan' (can get from B2S in Pattaya **** where is this please****)

2.2. Training for Dummies (by Elaine Biech) (can get from Kinokuniya in Bangkok ****where is this please***)

Thanks for your help

Dave

Edited by dsfbrit

Thanks to all of you for your feedback - I will take the advice onboard and I have added all the books to my 'potential books to buy list'.

Thanks again

Dave

This list complied at Amazon may also be useful to you Dave...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CELTA-These-Only-B...tpa_f_1_rdssss0

It was and in fact still is... There are a two more books on that list that I might get after this first batch has arrived.

thanks again

regards

dave

DK today are about the best suppliers of ESL books around they have a branch in Pattaya and will give you discount on larger orders.

Pay direct to the Bkk branch and receive your books within 2 days by EMS for a small extra cost.

DK today are about the best suppliers of ESL books around they have a branch in Pattaya and will give you discount on larger orders.

Pay direct to the Bkk branch and receive your books within 2 days by EMS for a small extra cost.

You can transfer money at any ATM to their A/C

There are 2 prices for the 8 week course. The lower price of around 25000 Baht is for the TEFL training and exam only. For a higher fee of around 45000 Baht, they guarantee to get you a job as well.

This is a total scam. They're offering to find you a job for 20,000 baht? Please. At least they're being up front about ripping you off; they have it clearly posted. They may as well rephrase it and say something like: 'If you are new to Thailand and the teaching scene, and unaware of how easy it is to find work, don't worry. We can help you, but you will have to bend over and let us have our way with you.'

J, 2000)).

2.1. Use Your Memory 'Tony Buzan' (can get from B2S in Pattaya **** where is this please****)

2.2. Training for Dummies (by Elaine Biech) (can get from Kinokuniya in Bangkok ****where is this please***)

Thanks for your help

Dave

1.B2S used to have a large store on Sukhumvit in the small retail park next to Big C. However this has recently closed down. They have a smaller branch in the third floor of Royal Garden Plaza.

2. Kinokuniya. Has a large store in Siam Paragon Shopping Centre in Bangkok(Siam BTS station) and two other smaller (although still large) stores. . You can check if the book is availible at their website www.kinokuniya.com.

I have learning teaching, Use your memory and Training for Dummies. I live in central Pattaya and can get them copied for you if youi want. PM me if you want to do this.

One week in the classroom is not enough. You may as well take a correspondence course, such as that offered by our new sponsor, ICAL. The industry standard is at least four weeks of full time classroom work plus six or more hours of closely observed and critiqued classroom practice teaching., such as that offered by our other sponsor, SEE.

As it has been stated forcefully, you don't need to pay a huge sum for a dubious guarantee to get a dubious job.

One week in the classroom is not enough. You may as well take a correspondence course, such as that offered by our new sponsor, ICAL. The industry standard is at least four weeks of full time classroom work plus six or more hours of closely observed and critiqued classroom practice teaching., such as that offered by our other sponsor, SEE.

As it has been stated forcefully, you don't need to pay a huge sum for a dubious guarantee to get a dubious job.

I will check again that I wrote everything down correctly and then go and see her again. OK, I need to make sure I get 4 weeks training in the classroom from any course thats offered.

Agreed on the job 'front', I was planning to take the first option and then see what happened during the trainng period and of course ask questions here.

Thaks for the feedback on this.

I will check again that I wrote everything down correctly and then go and see her again. OK, I need to make sure I get 4 weeks training in the classroom from any course thats offered.

Agreed on the job 'front', I was planning to take the first option and then see what happened during the trainng period and of course ask questions here.

Thaks for the feedback on this.

If you intend to " teach " in Pattaya after your TESOL, ESL whatever.............don,t forget your Criminal Records check too as this is being requested at Immigration and by Chonburi MoE now.

J, 2000)).

Thanks for your help

Dave

1.B2S used to have a large store on Sukhumvit in the small retail park next to Big C. However this has recently closed down. They have a smaller branch in the third floor of Royal Garden Plaza.

2. Kinokuniya. Has a large store in Siam Paragon Shopping Centre in Bangkok(Siam BTS station) and two other smaller (although still large) stores. . You can check if the book is availible at their website www.kinokuniya.com.

I have learning teaching, Use your memory and Training for Dummies. I live in central Pattaya and can get them copied for you if youi want. PM me if you want to do this.

I know the shop you mean - went in there a few times but when I went in there last week - it had closed down - not surprised as it never seemed to have many customers.

Thanks for the offer on the books, I would certainly like to take you up on the offer if I cannot track them down. I am off to that website and then maybe a trip to Bangkok.

Yes the above job offer is a bit suspect - where will they employ you? what wages? who pays you? Work permit, licence visa etc???

I think you are right wilko. I am replying in reverse order, so I put my thoughts in the reply to PeaceBlondie. Thanks for the comments, although I wasn't thinking of going for this option, this school could be dodgy and I could be getting ripped-off methinks!!!

cheers

dave