Wishing To Become English Language Teacher

dsfbrit

DK today are about the best suppliers of ESL books around they have a branch in Pattaya and will give you discount on larger orders.

Pay direct to the Bkk branch and receive your books within 2 days by EMS for a small extra cost.

Ok thanks, I will try there next before going to Bangkok. Where is DK in Pattaya, I know many of the bookshops, but DK does not ring a bell?

thanks again

dave

There are 2 prices for the 8 week course. The lower price of around 25000 Baht is for the TEFL training and exam only. For a higher fee of around 45000 Baht, they guarantee to get you a job as well.

This is a total scam. They're offering to find you a job for 20,000 baht? Please. At least they're being up front about ripping you off; they have it clearly posted. They may as well rephrase it and say something like: 'If you are new to Thailand and the teaching scene, and unaware of how easy it is to find work, don't worry. We can help you, but you will have to bend over and let us have our way with you.'

Thanks mbkudu, point taken. Sounds like I am 'green behind the ears' in the area of teaching and the local scams. Still I will continue to 'do my homework' before I sign up to anything and appreciate this advice. Although I was not too sold on the option that offered a job at the end of it, I did not appreciate how poor the 1 week in the classroom training was as well!!

Oh well, back to the proverbial drawing board!!!

One week in the classroom is not enough. You may as well take a correspondence course, such as that offered by our new sponsor, ICAL. The industry standard is at least four weeks of full time classroom work plus six or more hours of closely observed and critiqued classroom practice teaching., such as that offered by our other sponsor, SEE.

As it has been stated forcefully, you don't need to pay a huge sum for a dubious guarantee to get a dubious job.

I will check again that I wrote everything down correctly and then go and see her again. OK, I need to make sure I get 4 weeks training in the classroom from any course thats offered.

Agreed on the job 'front', I was planning to take the first option and then see what happened during the trainng period and of course ask questions here.

Thaks for the feedback on this.

If you intend to " teach " in Pattaya after your TESOL, ESL whatever.............don,t forget your Criminal Records check too as this is being requested at Immigration and by Chonburi MoE now.

I will keep this in mind. Although, as I can prove I 'was fitted up by the old Bill' for all my offences I should be OK. No seriously I will look into this, I have no convictions so it should not take too long I would hope. I will look through the forum to see what this is all about.

thanks for the advice

dave

One week in the classroom is not enough. You may as well take a correspondence course, such as that offered by our new sponsor, ICAL. The industry standard is at least four weeks of full time classroom work plus six or more hours of closely observed and critiqued classroom practice teaching., such as that offered by our other sponsor, SEE.

As it has been stated forcefully, you don't need to pay a huge sum for a dubious guarantee to get a dubious job.

I will check again that I wrote everything down correctly and then go and see her again. OK, I need to make sure I get 4 weeks training in the classroom from any course thats offered.

Agreed on the job 'front', I was planning to take the first option and then see what happened during the trainng period and of course ask questions here.

If you intend to " teach " in Pattaya after your TESOL, ESL whatever.............don,t forget your Criminal Records check too as this is being requested at Immigration and by Chonburi MoE now.

I will keep this in mind. Although, as I can prove I 'was fitted up by the old Bill' for all my offences I should be OK. No seriously I will look into this, I have no convictions so it should not take too long I would hope. I will look through the forum to see what this is all about.

thanks for the advice

dave

It takes about 40 days Dave and is applied for at your local police force where you resided last.

Cost is 10 UK pounds.

There are 2 prices for the 8 week course. The lower price of around 25000 Baht is for the TEFL training and exam only. For a higher fee of around 45000 Baht, they guarantee to get you a job as well.

This is a total scam. They're offering to find you a job for 20,000 baht? Please. At least they're being up front about ripping you off; they have it clearly posted. They may as well rephrase it and say something like: 'If you are new to Thailand and the teaching scene, and unaware of how easy it is to find work, don't worry. We can help you, but you will have to bend over and let us have our way with you.'

Thanks mbkudu, point taken. Sounds like I am 'green behind the ears' in the area of teaching and the local scams. Still I will continue to 'do my homework' before I sign up to anything and appreciate this advice. Although I was not too sold on the option that offered a job at the end of it, I did not appreciate how poor the 1 week in the classroom training was as well!!

Any decent tefl school would help you find a job for no charge. There is no need to guarantee a job nor charge for it. If anything, it's the school that pays an agent to connect with you. There is too high of a demand for teachers, so never pay for a job. There are also various websites and even the Bangkok Post where you could find your own job if you are without connections.

Any decent tefl school would help you find a job for no charge. There is no need to guarantee a job nor charge for it. If anything, it's the school that pays an agent to connect with you. There is too high of a demand for teachers, so never pay for a job. There are also various websites and even the Bangkok Post where you could find your own job if you are without connections.

I have contacted this school again to make sure of my facts. If they are confirmed then I will not consider this school further. Its the TEFLIntercontintental for anyone that reads this thread. Next week I will try the Text-And-Talk-Academy recommended by several people and also Robski PM'ed giving his positive opinions on it.

thanks for the advice

dave

It takes about 40 days Dave and is applied for at your local police force where you resided last.

Cost is 10 UK pounds.

Thanks for that. I did read through many of the posts on this forum regarding this, but until I read this reply I was still not too sure what I needed to do. I have to go back to the UK in January for a couple of weeks. Would it be a good idea for me to visit the local Polic Station and get this underway then? I will 'search' the forum again and see if there is a post that explains the procedure in some detail.

thanks again

thanks for the advice

dave

Cost is 10 UK pounds.

Thanks for that. I did read through many of the posts on this forum regarding this, but until I read this reply I was still not too sure what I needed to do. I have to go back to the UK in January for a couple of weeks. Would it be a good idea for me to visit the local Polic Station and get this underway then? I will 'search' the forum again and see if there is a post that explains the procedure in some detail.

thanks again

I searched the forum again and found this posted by 'Daihard' - http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm, and gives the FAQ on this process.

I searched the Police Websites and this is the downloadable 'SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST' form for the Met Police:

http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm

I am assuming this is the form that starts the process to provide me with a piece of paper form the UK authorities that satisfies the 'Criminal Records Check'. If not then I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

dave

Edited by dsfbrit

DK today are about the best suppliers of ESL books around they have a branch in Pattaya and will give you discount on larger orders.

Pay direct to the Bkk branch and receive your books within 2 days by EMS for a small extra cost.

Ok thanks, I will try there next before going to Bangkok. Where is DK in Pattaya, I know many of the bookshops, but DK does not ring a bell?

thanks again

dave

Found Dk's on Soi Post Office - I did not know it was called that, been there quite a few times - really good little shop.

Edited by dsfbrit

thanks for the advice

dave

Cost is 10 UK pounds.

thanks again

I searched the forum again and found this posted by 'Daihard' - http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm, and gives the FAQ on this process.

I searched the Police Websites and this is the downloadable 'SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST' form for the Met Police:

http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm

I am assuming this is the form that starts the process to provide me with a piece of paper form the UK authorities that satisfies the 'Criminal Records Check'. If not then I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

dave

Yes. Form 3019B is the one you require. You can start the process in the UK and maybe have the report posted to a friend in the UK and then have it forwarded to you in Thailand?

thanks again

dave

DK is on the corner of Central and beach and soi Post office.

If you PM me I will give you details of the main depot in Bkk. they are very efficient.

Edited by wilko

thanks again

dave

DK is on the corner of Central and beach and soi Post office.

If you PM me I will give you details of the main depot in Bkk. they are very efficient.

Sorry for the delay in the reply, I have been away this week.

I found DK, it had some of the books I wanted, but annoyingly I had already ordered them elsewhere - the other one - 'training for dummies' I have ordered from that website recommended above and will pop to Bangkok to pick it up next Tuesday (18th). An excuse to visit Bangkok and my wife and I will stay there overnight as well.

I also sent off for the 'Police Check' in the UK. Sent it UPS and it arrived there today, so when I go to the UK at the end of January, the 40 days they say it takes will be up so I should know what they have to say about me by then!!

Thanks for you advice with this and....

Merry Xmas