I Miss Card Games Like Cribbage And Euchre

pattyboy

There’s often talk at this forum about the types of food and drink we miss from our home countries, but I haven’t noticed much about missing our favourite forms of entertainment. I became tired of the bar scene and nightlife in Thailand very quickly, and found that I miss some of the simple entertainment pleasures of home. I grew up in house where card games like cribbage and euchre were often played. That form of entertainment is still popular with my family, and I must say that I miss it. My friends and I would play more adventurous games like 31 and poker. I know that gambling is illegal in Thailand, and I think Thais assume that if somebody buys a deck of playing cards, they are going to use them for gambling. But as we know, there are many good card games that don’t involve gambling.

I’m curious to hear if other people who live here in Thailand miss their favourite card games and wondered if there was any place to go (or a group of people who managed to get together) for a bit of friendly card playing in the Pattaya area.

i like playing cards too,specially euchre,are you from guernsey by any chance?as i dont know many people from somewhere else,which play euchre

bc

Actually, I'm from Ontario, Canada, where euchre is a very popular game. It 's sort of funny how euchre seems popular in some parts of the world but not in others. When I lived in the province of Alberta, it was almost impossible to find any euchre players.

There's often talk at this forum about the types of food and drink we miss from our home countries, but I haven't noticed much about missing our favourite forms of entertainment. I became tired of the bar scene and nightlife in Thailand very quickly, and found that I miss some of the simple entertainment pleasures of home. I grew up in house where card games like cribbage and euchre were often played. That form of entertainment is still popular with my family, and I must say that I miss it. My friends and I would play more adventurous games like 31 and poker. I know that gambling is illegal in Thailand, and I think Thais assume that if somebody buys a deck of playing cards, they are going to use them for gambling. But as we know, there are many good card games that don't involve gambling.

I'm curious to hear if other people who live here in Thailand miss their favourite card games and wondered if there was any place to go (or a group of people who managed to get together) for a bit of friendly card playing in the Pattaya area.

When I first began playing cards, it was cribbage, which I learned from my father. Later, and for most of my life in the USA, I played Hearts as my primary "social" (non-gambling) game. During my 20 years at Boeing, I played Hearts at lunch nearly every day.

Yes, pattyboy, I miss those card games very much.

There's often talk at this forum about the types of food and drink we miss from our home countries, but I haven't noticed much about missing our favourite forms of entertainment. I became tired of the bar scene and nightlife in Thailand very quickly, and found that I miss some of the simple entertainment pleasures of home. I grew up in house where card games like cribbage and euchre were often played. That form of entertainment is still popular with my family, and I must say that I miss it. My friends and I would play more adventurous games like 31 and poker. I know that gambling is illegal in Thailand, and I think Thais assume that if somebody buys a deck of playing cards, they are going to use them for gambling. But as we know, there are many good card games that don't involve gambling.

I'm curious to hear if other people who live here in Thailand miss their favourite card games and wondered if there was any place to go (or a group of people who managed to get together) for a bit of friendly card playing in the Pattaya area.

When I first began playing cards, it was cribbage, which I learned from my father. Later, and for most of my life in the USA, I played Hearts as my primary "social" (non-gambling) game. During my 20 years at Boeing, I played Hearts at lunch nearly every day.

Yes, pattyboy, I miss those card games very much.

Yes, I miss Hearts, even though I'm not very good at it. I seem to have a knack at getting what we call "Chinese control" (For those unfamiliar with the game, that's getting the queen of spades and 12 of the 13 hearts -- a very bad thing to do. However, getting "control" -- the queen of spades and all 13 of the hearts is a very good thing to do.)

Well, it won't replace the pleasure of a live sociable game but you can always play online to keep your hand in. As I'm writing this Yahoo! has 1800+ people playing Euchre.

I'd miss a good game of dominoes myself - Maltese Cross, anyone? :o

Well, it won't replace the pleasure of a live sociable game but you can always play online to keep your hand in. As I'm writing this Yahoo! has 1800+ people playing Euchre.

I'd miss a good game of dominoes myself - Maltese Cross, anyone? :o

Thanks for the reminder about online play like Yahoo, but as you point out, it just doesn't have the social interaction that a live game has. The other problem I've encounter with online play, is that people sometimes walk away or get distracted which causes long delays, and some people just simply abandon the game.

I was hoping that by posting my question, enough people might express some interest in getting together on a regular (or semi-regular) basis. I guess I'm sort of hunting around for card players.

Sometimes during the week there is a cribbage school being played in the Caddy Shack Soi 17 South Pattaya in the afternoons. They have a website try sending them an email.

Thanks. I didn't know there was any cribbage going on in town.

By "cribbage school" do you mean that people are being taught how to play the game? If so, I don't know how much patience I'd have to play with cribbage newbies, as I've probably played the game thousands of times. I'd really like to find a group of experienced players that enjoy a variety of games.

Sometimes during the week there is a cribbage school being played in the Caddy Shack Soi 17 South Pattaya in the afternoons. They have a website try sending them an email.

Thanks for the info, loytoy.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any mention of cribbage at their website.