New Entrance Fees For National Parks

meadish_sweetball

Below is an announcement from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants, dated 22 November 2007, detailing a new pricing schedule for entrance fees to national parks. Since we've had a fair amount of discussion about this in the past on Thaivisa and it should be in most people's interest to know, I've attempted to translate the document into English.

Summary:

The pricing scale has been determined according to the estimated tourism potential, natural beauty, impact sensitivity, availability of public amenities and state of infrastructure for each individual national park.

The parks are now classified as belong into 1 of 4 entrance fee groups.

Group 1 charges 400 baht for foreign adults, 200 baht for foreign children, 80 baht for Thai adults and 40 baht for Thai children.

Group 2 charges 200 baht for foreign adults, 100 baht for foreign children, 40 baht for Thai adults, and 20 baht for Thai children.

Group 3 charges 100 baht for foreign adults, 50 baht for foreign children, 20 baht for Thai adults, 10 baht for Thai children.

Group 4 is everywhere else than those places belonging to 1, 2 and 3, and is completely free for everyone.

Once the entrance fee to a national park has been paid, it is valid for one day. If a person visits more than one national park on one and the same day, they will not be charged twice, provided they can show the ticket from the previous place of visit.

However, if the fee for the second place visited is higher than the first, the difference between the higher and the lower fee has to be paid at the second location. (I.e. if one visits a park which is 200 baht, and later that day goes to a park which is 400 baht, one will have to pay an additional 200 baht at the second location. If the fee at the second location is 200 baht or lower, no additional fee will be required.)

(As far as I have been able to make out, this document does not explain the situation for tourists who go to Koh Chang and stay, whether they will be required to pay each day, or just once for the entire trip.)

The announcement makes only one distinction: ชาวไทย 'chaaw thai' (Thais) and ชาวต่างประเทศ 'chaaw dtaang bpratheed' (foreigners). There is no discussion of foreigners who are long term residents, exchange students, holders of Thai work permits or hold Permanent Residency in

Thailand.

Feedback and suggested corrections on the translation are very welcome, but please use the PM function to avoid the thread turning into a discussion of the translation instead of the subject.

PAGE1

Announcement

Government authority: National park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department; Office of National Parks, Tel: 0 2561 0777 – 719

Issued at: Thaw Saw 0910.306/ 17805 Date: 22 November, 2007

Subject: Establishment of service rates for individuals entering national park territory

To: All Deputy Generals of the National park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

All policy and planning experts

All Office Directors

All Division Directors

All heads of protected areas regional offices 1-16

Head of the Internal Auditor Unit

Head of the Administration System Development Unit

The Inspector-General

The National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department are hereby enclosing a copy of the Announcement of 22 November 2007 concerning the Establishment of service fees for individuals entering national parks for your information, and in order to communicate it to the public.

Mr. Chaloemsak Wanichsombat

President of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

PAGE 2.

Announcement from the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

Subject: Establishment of service fees for individuals entering national parks

…………………………..

The National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has prepared a list of national parks ranked by order of importance in terms of tourism and recreation. Various indicators for tourist attractions have been used, including the following: number of tourist attractions, natural beauty and characteristics of tourist attractions, sensitivity/risk of impact; variables measuring the preparedness for tourism, including basic public amenities/infrastructure and sanitation; the involvement of the local community in tourism services, and experiences of tourists, in order to establish new entrance fees for national parks which reflect their tourism and recreation potential.

Exercising the authority granted by the governing statutes for the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, concerning the permission to enter to engage in tourism activities and stay in national parks of 2004, section 1, point 6, the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department makes the following announcement:

1. The national park entrance fees for Thai nationals and foreign nationals are hereby established, according to the fees set out according to group 1, 2, 3, and 4 attached to this document.

2. Any fees which are in conflict with this statement shall be discarded in favour of the fees set out in this document.

3. Individuals who have paid a fee according to the aforementioned regulations or according to this document, and who will enter a national park for tourism purposes on the same day, are to act as follows:

3.1 If the fee already paid is higher or the same as that of entering into the subsequent national park, no fee will be collected at the subsequent location

3.2 If the fee already paid is lower, the tourist is required to pay only the difference between the lower fee for the previous location and the higher fee for the subsequent location.

This document is valid as of 1 December, 2007.

Announced on the 22 of November, 2007.

Mr. Chaloemsak Wanichsombat

President of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

HERE FOLLOWS THE LIST OF LOCATIONS, ACCORDING TO GROUP

GROUP 1.

[My note: These parks belong to Group 1 - the most expensive group]

- Koh Surin Islands, Phang Nga province [ENTIRE AREA]

- Koh Similan Islands, Phang Nga province [ENTIRE AREA]

- Doi Pha Hom Pok (Mae Fang), Chiang Rai province [The area near the summit of Doi Pha Hom Pok]

- Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai province [starting from Checkpoint 2 (km. 37) on Jom Thong Rd. up until the summit of Doi Inthanon]

- Thung Salaeng Luang, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun provinces [The Thung Nang Phaya and Thung Non Son area]

- Phu Kradueng, Loei province [starting from the Sri Than checkpoint until the summit of Doi Kradueng]

- Khao Yai, Prachinburi / Saraburi / Nakhon Ratchasima / Nakhon Nayok provinces [starting from the Noen Hom checkpoint until the San Jao Pho checkpoint]

- Koh Lanta Islands, Krabi province (all islands, e.g. Koh Ngai, Koh Rok, Koh Tukonlima, Kong Hin Daeng etc.)

- Had Nopparattara / Phi Phi Islands, Krabi province (all islands, e.g. Phi Phi Leh, Koh Mai Phai, Koh Yuung, Koh Pida, Koh Poda

For group 1, only the areas specified above require payment of the highest fee (400 baht for foreign adults). Other areas of the same parks are 200 baht for foreign adults.

GROUP 2.

[My note: These parks belong to Group 2 - the next most expensive group (200 baht for foreign adults)]

Northern Thailand

- Doi Suthep / Pui, Chiang Mai province

- Huay Nam Dang, Chiang Mai province

- Ob Luang, Chiang Mai province

- Chae Son, Lampang province

- Wiang Kosay, Phrae and Lampang provinces

- Mae Surin waterfall, Mae Hong Son province

- Chat Trakan waterfall, Phitsanulok province

- Phu Hin Rong Klao (Rong Klao rock), Phitsanulok and Loei provinces

- Nam Nao, Phetchabun and Chaiyaphum provinces

- Mae Jarim, Nan province

- Doi Phu Kha, Nan province

- Sri Sachanalay, Sukhothai province

- Lan Sang, Tak province

- Taksin Maharat, Tak province

- Mae Wong, Kamphaengphet and Tak provinces

- Khlong Wang Jao, Kamphaengphet and Tak provinces

- Khlong Lan, Kamphaengphet province

North-Eastern Thailand

- Pha Taem, Ubon Ratchathani province

- Phu Jong Na Yoy, Ubon Ratchathani province

- Khao Phra Wihan, Srisaket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces

- Phu Ruea, Loei province

- Phu Wiang, Khonkaen province

- Tat Don, Chaiyaphum province

- Sai Thong, Chaiyaphum province

Central Thailand

- Sri Nakharin Reservoir, Kanchanaburi province

- Sai Yok, Kanchanaburi province

- Erawan, Kanchanaburi province

- Chaloem Rattanakosin, Kanchanaburi province

- Kaeng Krachan, Phetburi and Prachuab Kirikhan provinces

- Khao Laem, Kanchanaburi province

Eastern Thailand

- Khao Khichanakut, Chanthaburi province

- Khao Chamao - Khao Wong, Rayong and Chanthaburi provinces

- Khao Laem Ya - Koh Samet Islands ...and Rayong province [there may be something missing in the original doc here]

- Phliw Waterfall, Chanthaburi province

- Koh Chang Islands, Trat province

- Pang Sida, Sakaew and Prachinburi provinces

Southern Thailand

- Kuiburi, Prachuab Kirikhan province

- Khao Sam Roi Yod, Prachuab Kirikhan province

- Koh Chumpon Islands, Chumpon province

- Laem Son, Ranong and Phang Nga provinces

- Ao Phang Nga, Phang Nga province

- Koh Ang Thong Islands, Surat Thani province

- Khao Sok, Surat Thani province

- Tai Rom Yen, Surat Thani province

- Yong waterfall, Nakhon Sri Thammarat province

- Khao Luang, Nakhon Sri Thammarat province

- Sirinat, Phuket province

- Jao Mai beach, Trang province

- Than Bok Kharani, Krabi province

- Thaleh Ban, Satun province

- Tarutao, Satun province

GROUP 3.

[My note: These parks belong to group 3, the next cheapest group. (100 baht for foreign adults).]

Northern Thailand

- Doi Luang, Chiang Rai, Phayao and Lampang provinces

- Phu Chang, Chiang Rai and Phayao provinces

- Khunchae, Chiang Rai province

- Pha Daeng, Chiang Mai province

- Sri Lanna, Chiang Mai province

- Salawin, Mae Hong Son province

- Mae Ping, Chiang Mai and Lamphun and Tak provinces

- Doi Khun Tan, Lamphun and Lampang provinces

- Mae Wa, Lampang and Tak provinces

- Mae Moei, Tak province

- Mae Yom, Phrae and Lampang provinces

- Ramkhamhaeng, Sukhothai province

- Srinan, Nan province

- Doi Phaklong, Phrae province

- Lam Nam Nan, Phrae and Utaradit provinces

- Khlong Tron, Utaradit province

- Tak Mok, Phetchabun province

North-Eastern Thailand

- Kaeng Tana, Ubon Ratchathani province

- Phu Sa Dok Bua, Mukdahan and Yasothon and Amnad Charoen provinces

- Phu Pha Thia, Mukdahan province

- Phu Phayon, Sakon Nakhon and Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan provinces

- Phu Kao - Phu Phankham, Udon Thani and Khonkaen and Nong Bualamphu provinces

- Nam Phong, Khonkaen and Chaiyaphum provinces

- Phu Pha Man, Loei and Khonkaen provinces

- Phu Phan, Sakon Nakhon and Kalasin provinces

- Phu Laen Kha, Chaiyaphum province

- Pa Hin Ngam, Loei province

- Thab Lan, Prachinburi and Nakhon Rachasima provinces

- Ta Phra Ya, Sakaew and Buriram provinces

Central Thailand

- Sam Lan waterfall, Saraburi province

- Phu Toey, Suphanburi province

Southern Thailand

- Huay Yang waterfall, Prachuab Kirikhan province

- Wonkon beach, Prachuab Kirikhan province

- Ngao waterfall, Ranong and Chumphon provinces

- Lan Nam Kraburi, Ranong province

- Kaeng Krung, Surat Thani province

- Khlong Phanom, Surat Thani province

- Si Khit waterfall, Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Surat Thani provinces

- Budo-Sungaibadi, Narathiwat and Pattani and Yala provinces

- Khao Pu - Khao Ya, Phattalung and Trang and Nakhon Sri Thammarat provinces

- Khao Lam Pi - Thai Mueang beach, Phang Nga province

- Khao Lak - Lam Ru, Phang Nga province

- Sri Phang Nga, Phang Nga province

- Khao Phanom Bencha, Krabi province

- Khao Nam Khang, Songkhla province

- Koh Phetra Islands, Satun and Trang provinces

- Bang Lang, Yala province

Notes:

1. Persons below 3 years old are exempt from fees.

2. 'Children' refer to persons aged 3-14 years old.

3. Thai primary, Elementary, Secondary school and University students in uniform or carrying valid proof of study will be charged at the same rate as children.

4. The service charge for individuals is to be applied to tourists who spend a maximum of 5 days in any single national park.

5. Monks and novices are exempt from all charges.

6. Elderly Thais aged over 60 are exempt from charges.

7. Tourists who spend the entrance fee at one national park may use their ticket to enter other national park locations with the same or lower rate on the same day.

8. If tourists need to enter other national park locations with a higher entrance fee on the same day, they are required to pay the difference between the higher and the lower fee.

/END OF DOCUMENT.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This is my own translation - it is NOT an official translation of the document. While I have done my best to translate it as accurately as possible, I can not guarantee it is free from omissions, misunderstandings or mistranslations. Please contact me by PM if you should find any translation mistakes or omissions, and I will correct them as necessary.

Enclosed below for reference is the Thai original document in 9 jpeg picture files.

EDIT: Thank you to TV member withnail for helping out with checking my translation.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group 4 is everywhere else than those places belonging to 1, 2 and 3, and is completely free for everyone.

The announcement makes only one distinction: ชาวไทย 'chaaw thai' (Thais) and ชาวต่างประเทศ 'chaaw dtaang bpratheed' (foreigners). There is no discussion of foreigners who are long term residents, exchange students, holders of Thai work permits or hold Permanent Residency in Thailand.

As far as I know and seen, that's the same as the rule has always been written. It's only because it's been followed on such a chaotic and inconsistent manner in the past that it is partially responsible for a good part of the 98 threads regarding national parks on thaivisa.

Kinda funny that there are NO parks listed for Group 4 (free).

A big thank you for all the trouble you went to on this, meadish. :D

In some ways, they've made concessions... lowering the the multiplication of the foreigner rate to the Thai rate. It's gone from 10:1 down to 5:1.

It's encouraging in another respect in that they have FINALLY begun to follow at least the first of the recommendations by Dr. Adis Israngkura (although I doubt his 6 year-old paper was the catalyst)

Dr. Adis Israngkura, an economist at Chiang Mai University and a consultant to Thailand's first and foremost "think tank" (Thailand Development Research Institute) conducted a research project for TDRI on this very topic and wrote the best paper, "Determining entrance fees to national parks: the case of Thailand" that I have ever encountered on the subject.

The paper, published in 2001, made the following recommendations:

1. Higher fees, for all, to the more popular parks with many facilities, which can subsidize the smaller parks with very few facilities.

2. Higher fees, for all, on long week-ends/holidays when parks tend to be heavily visited to help ease congestion and lessen environmental degradation, which will result in increased visitor satisfaction.

3. Annual memberships and lifetime memberships should be offered and available to all.

4. Both Thai and foreigners should pay the same entrance fee, but special services should be made available to the foreign visitor for additional higher fees, such as English-speaking tour/travel guides or English-language information booklets/maps. "The current policy unnecessarily jeopardizes the the image of the overall tourism industry."

5. Entrances fees should be exempted for the elderly, the handicapped, and children visiting on school trips.

I think when an expert, and Thai himself, recognizes it as a problem, it's VERY telling....

now if they could just start working on #4.... we'd see a drop in the number of National Park threads... :D

thanks again, meadish.... :o

Good post "meadish_sweetball" BTW :D

Group 1 charges 400 baht for foreign adults, 200 baht for foreign children, 80 baht for Thai adults and 40 baht for Thai children.

Group 2 charges 200 baht for foreign adults, 100 baht for foreign children, 40 baht for Thai adults, and 20 baht for Thai children.

GROUP 2.

[My note: These parks belong to Group 2 - the next most expensive group (200 baht for foreign adults)]

Central Thailand

- Erawan Waterfall, Kanchanaburi province

Kan one get their money back as tourists paid 400 baht to enter this place this and last year.

Kan Win :o

The last time I visited Khao Chamao (Rayong) it was 10baht for farang and 5baht for Thai nationals. The last time I considered visiting Khao Chamao the price was 200baht versus 10 baht. An immediate U-turn prevailed. If you do the math that's twenty times more. Therefore 400 against 80 is only 5 times the double standard. BTW the only reason I went there is because back then it was the only place within 30km I could get a beer other than Chang or Singh. I'm with Big Al they can stick it where it's in the shade. Mindabenda

I just pay whatever the "least fuss amount" is, on the extremely rare occasion I find myself at one of these places.

Stuffed if I'm going to take my work permit on the road with me, I actually think it is illegal to take your WP from your place of work anyway.

I just pay whatever the "least fuss amount" is, on the extremely rare occasion I find myself at one of these places.

Stuffed if I'm going to take my work permit on the road with me, I actually think it is illegal to take your WP from your place of work anyway.

From a legal point of view, a work permit does not make one chao thai, the term the documents use for "Thai national".

Nah...your work permit should be with you at all times except for when you are at work, then it should be at the office, or am I wrong? Ah well, never been checked and always with me when I go to national parks, saves me the hassle!

From a legal point of view, a work permit does not make one chao thai, the term the documents use for "Thai national".

Sure for these "new rules"...but in the past I've been asked to show a WP to get the thai price.

The announcement makes only one distinction: ชาวไทย 'chaaw thai' (Thais) and ชาวต่างประเทศ 'chaaw dtaang bpratheed' (foreigners). There is no discussion of foreigners who are long term residents, exchange students, holders of Thai work permits or hold Permanent Residency in Thailand.

As far as I know and seen, that's the same as the rule has always been written. It's only because it's been followed on such a chaotic and inconsistent manner in the past that it is partially responsible for a good part of the 98 threads regarding national parks on thaivisa.

Sure for these "new rules"...but in the past I've been asked to show a WP to get the thai price.

There's nothing "new" about that rule... only their being adhered to on a uniform level nation-wide MIGHT be new... we'll see come Dec. 1 and beyond.

Edited by sriracha john

Koh Samed is back to 200b ..? :D

Good news, 400b to visit garbage dumping sites was a bit overrated... :D

Me, I'm fine to pay a low fee (up to 200B), but I'd like to be more sure that the fee is actually going to help to preserve the park...

And paying more than Thai is also ok, I have seen a lot worst rip off... :o

"Stuffed if I'm going to take my work permit on the road with me, I actually think it is illegal to take your WP from your place of work anyway."

vs.

"Nah...your work permit should be with you at all times except for when you are at work, then it should be at the office, or am I wrong?"

Take a look at the last page in your work permit. Item #1

"A work permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours..."

The National Park website with their "old" fee schedule... listing simply the same "Thai" and "Foreigner" categorization as the "new" rates.... with no provision for foreigners with work permits, Thai drivers licenses, Non-Immigrant visas, Thai library card, etc. etc.:

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/np_rate.asp?lg=2

Edited by sriracha john

"Stuffed if I'm going to take my work permit on the road with me, I actually think it is illegal to take your WP from your place of work anyway."

vs.

"Nah...your work permit should be with you at all times except for when you are at work, then it should be at the office, or am I wrong?"

Take a look at the last page in your work permit. Item #1

"A work permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours..."

I have always just left mine in my locked drawer at my desk.

The practice has been there for over 25 year to my knowledge,

BUT to now make it official policy is perfectly outrageous,

showing how little Thailand cares for its valuable tourist industry.

It is a slap in the face for all Western tourists, as not doubt those

with Asian faces will still continue to get in at local rates.

The idea that secondary school and university students have to wear uniform

shows how little grasp the Parks officials have of reality.

Koh Samed is back to 200b ..? :D

Good news, 400b to visit garbage dumping sites was a bit overrated... :D

Me, I'm fine to pay a low fee (up to 200B), but I'd like to be more sure that the fee is actually going to help to preserve the park...

And paying more than Thai is also ok, I have seen a lot worst rip off... :o

A few weeks ago when I went to Koh Chang it was 400B (did a U-turn and left), it's nice to see they have cut it to 200B also.

I know this would never happen but why doesn't foreigner's with a business start to do the same thing in reverse? Start to charge the Thai's 400% more than the foreigners.

If one thing I have learned here is Thai's will never change anything unless you show them the way and a great way would be to charge them in the same fashion they charge foreigner's.

After all they say what are the foreigner's going to do anyway? 98% will pay the fees, so now ask the same question what is the government going to do? Stop giving company registrations or work permits? or maybe they will pass a law that doesn't allow foreigner's to charge Thai's in that way showing to the world the true Thai way of greed.

My choice is just stop going to the places and tell your friends to stop going.

If I ever experience an overwhelming need to pay to see water flow downhill, I'll go stand in the shower for 10 minutes. After the Victoria and Niagara Falls anything that Thailand has to offer would be distinctly underwhelming.

As it says (in the translation) Thanks to Meadish, Students don't require a uniform only a student card.

But what about foreign student in Thailand as me? Am I in Foreign or Thai child category?

Before I have always just paid the Thai adult fees. Or nothing.