New Entrance Fees For National Parks

meadish_sweetball

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the majority of tourists who go to national parks pay a tour guide to get in and don't see the price list. If they do see it, they don't read Thai, don't understand why there are two sets of prices and probably don't care. So they pay up - and the government know they will.

Us regular visitors and expats are p1ssing into the wind if we think moaning about it here will do any good.

P.S. I haven't been to a national park for 4 1/2 years, on principle.

Kinda funny that there are NO parks listed for Group 4 (free)

The free ones should be :

North :

4.   Doi Wiang Pha National Park   Chiang Mai

6.   Khun Khan National Park   Chiang Mai

7.   Mae Takhrai National Park   Chiang Mai

8.   Mae Tho National Park   Chiang Mai

9.   Mae Wang National Park   Chiang Mai

10.   Op Khan National Park   Chiang Mai

16.   Lam Nam Kok National Park   Chiang Rai

21.   Doi Chong National Park   Lampang

23.   Tham Pha Thai National Park   Lampang

26.   Mae Ngao National Park   Mae Hong Son

29.   Tham Pla - Namtok Pha Suea National Park  Mae Hong Son

31.   Khun Nan National Park   Nan

32.   Khun Sathan National Park   Nan

34.   Nunthaburi National Park   Nan

36.   Tham Sakoen National Park   Nan

37.   Doi Phu Nang National Park   Phayao

38.   Mae Puem National Park   Phayao

40.   Khao Kho National Park   Phetchabun

43.   Kaeng Chet Khwae National Park   Phitsanulok

52.   Khun Phra Wo National Park   Tak

55.   Namtok Pha Charoen National Park   Tak

59.   Phu Soi Dao National Park   Uttaradit

Central/East/west

2.   Khao Sip Ha Chan National Park   Chanthaburi

8.   Lam Khlong Ngu National Park   Kanchanaburi

10.   Thong Pha Phum National Park   Kanchanaburi

17.   Chaloem Phrakiat Thai Prachan National Park   Ratchaburi

21.   Namtok Chet Sao Noi National Park   Saraburi

25.   Namtok Khlong Kaeo National Park   Trat

Northeast

12.   Phu Suan Sai National Park   Loei

15.   Phu Langka National Park   Nakhon Phanom

17.   Phu Pha Lek National Park   Sakhon Nakhorn

24.   Na Yung - Nam Som National Park   Udon Thani

South

6.   Hat Khanom - Mu Ko Thale Tai Nation Park   Nakhon Si Thammarat

8.   Khao Nan National Park   Nakhon Si Thammarat

11.   Ao Manao - Khao Tanyong National Park   Narathiwat

13.   Namtok Sipo National Park   Narathiwat

14.   Namtok Sai Khao National Park   Pattani

18.   Mu Ko Ra - Ko Phra Thong National Park   Phangnga

26.   Mu Ko Phayam National Park   Ranong

32.   San Kala Khiri National Park   Songkhla

38.   Than Sadet - Ko Pha-ngan National Park   Surat Thani

The expat community are pissing into the wind if we think we can change this.

The tourists who are here on a 'once in a lifetime' type trip are not likely to do a U-turn because of 200 baht.

The only time i've seen foreigners have an impact directly on Thailands laws has been the (hilarious) government U-turn on the foreign investment act. But we are talking big money here. If all the expats in Thailand refused to ever go to a national park, the government would lose nothing at all.

I chip away as best i can by trying to educate students as to the meaning of 'racism'. Being as this rule hinges on discriminating against someone solely on their appearance then i think we can safely call this racism.

Making a scene at the ticket booth never works. The staff are not empowered to give discounts really, just to follow rules. There is no benefit for the staff to give a discount (it's not their business). They dont really care if you come in or not. They still get their salary.

There's only 2 ways of getting round this.

1. Dont go.

2. Get a Thai to buy the tickets and then just walk in. The muppet in the booth is unlikely to chase after you.

Still makes you feel like a criminal though.

The expat community are pissing into the wind if we think we can change this.

The tourists who are here on a 'once in a lifetime' type trip are not likely to do a U-turn because of 200 baht.

The only time i've seen foreigners have an impact directly on Thailands laws has been the (hilarious) government U-turn on the foreign investment act. But we are talking big money here. If all the expats in Thailand refused to ever go to a national park, the government would lose nothing at all.

I chip away as best i can by trying to educate students as to the meaning of 'racism'. Being as this rule hinges on discriminating against someone solely on their appearance then i think we can safely call this racism.

Making a scene at the ticket booth never works. The staff are not empowered to give discounts really, just to follow rules. There is no benefit for the staff to give a discount (it's not their business). They dont really care if you come in or not. They still get their salary.

There's only 2 ways of getting round this.

1. Dont go.

2. Get a Thai to buy the tickets and then just walk in. The muppet in the booth is unlikely to chase after you.

Still makes you feel like a criminal though.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx: My son is only half fahrang is it OK if he only goes in up to his knees?

The discrimination is not on race but nationality so its natioalist, not racist.

I think we all know about nationalism in Thailand. Come to think of it its present in most countries.

Most of the contributors sounding off here wouldn't move so far from their beer to visit a national park anyway.

Mostof the fahrangs here can afford it if they choose to visit a site of national interest or beauty. They already pay over the odds for a beer in walking street anyway.

So what price to see a hornbill or pangolin outside of a chinese restaurant?

I do get fed up with fahrangs whingeing about their special status. If you live here, you're special, better get used to it!

I do hope the revenue goes where it will be of appropriate use.......................

dual pricing is not exclusive to Thailand, in UK if you go to York, you pay for parking, the locals don't, when you go in the museums, it costs about a fiver, locals get in free. if you own a house in Florida USA you get reduced price concessions at all the theme parks. i am sure there are many more examples of dual pricing tourist/resident worldwide. its not just a Thai issue.

For what it's worth, the "double pricing" is applied in almost ANY country.

It is only applied in a different way as the Thais do it.

In my country, for example, showing your resident ID-Card at any entrance booth of a zoo, National Park, or whatever, gives you a discounted fare.

Any other person who cannot show his resident ID-Card is automaticly priced as a tourist (higher fare).

Special "price reducement cards" are also supplied by the governement in my country for 60+ citizens, students, retired citizens, orphans, etc... which includes important price reductions on public transport and other (public) services.

Bearing such a card gets you a lower entry price everywhere you go.

Not sure about other countries, but I've read/witnessed about the same things in the US and other parts of the worlds such as France (Disney World) as well.

The SIMPLE solution:

If you dont like the double pricing, just dont go in there.

The overall impression wether a national park (waterfall) is worth a visit or not is left to the individual.

The odd's that the higher fare will end at the right place and will help to sponsor other places is as high as the odds that this world is going to change tomorrow into a peaceful world for everyone.

As a concluding note to this:

I hear so many complaints about this "dual pricing" which is almost the only places in Thailand where a price will be displayed upfront.

But when anyone goes to a "national park" and pay excurbirant prices for his consumption, only to watch a boy or a girl "dance" around a chrome pole, nobody complains.

When someone goes shopping anywhere in Thailand and ends-up paying for the goods of his choice 10 or 20 times the selling price (YES, I've seen this happen many times), nobody complains.

Coalminer

I just struck Thai National Parks off my list of places to visit in the future. Principle. When my Thai friends invite me to go, I'll just be honest and tell them. The price for foreigners is so outrageously high, and my teacher's wage is so marginal, they'll immediately understand. :o

It is a slap in the face for all Western tourists, as no doubt those

with Asian faces will still continue to get in at local rates.

The discrimination is not on race but nationality so its nationalist, not racist.

The aspect of this issue described above is what makes it racist.

Simple to eliminate. Check everyone at the gate for a Thai National ID card. If no have, charge foreigner rate.

Edited by sriracha john

The discrimination is not on race but nationality so its natioalist, not racist.

I fear you are wrong with your assessment here. I tried to enter a park with a group of friends from Malaysia and Hong Kong. They were all charged Thai rate despite not understanding or speaking a word of Thai. The man in the booth tried to charge myself and my (half) Thai children, who have Thai citizenship, the full Farang rate.

When asked about this, the guy in charge said they regarded Asians as Thai, Farangs were Farang even when they had Thai ID. We only succeeded in getting in, all of us paying Thai admission, after a long discussion and calling his boss.

The discrimination is based on appearance, (I don't like your face,) not nationality.

State parks in some US states charge more for foreigners, such as Oklahomans who use Texas parks.

I don't go to a park just to see one major attraction. I go for many hours, to enjoy the waterfalls, trails, forest, beach, concessions, hot springs, etc. I paid entrance fees back home, and felt that domestic residents (Texans, for example :o) should pay less than the Okies paid.

Interview - Preecha Chansiritanon, Deputy Director General, National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department

07331121102p.jpg

Interview for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Wednesday 28 November 2007 & http://news.prd.go.th

To see or download mini-video, go to its VDO Clip page, then click on white camera button at top of page

Our interview is with Pree-cha Chan-si-ri-ta-non, Deputy Director General, National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department, through an Interpreter, Peeranuch Dul-kul, who is also a Technical Forest official, during a meeting held at the Merlin Hotel Phuket yesterday on revising park fees and limiting numbers plus safety. As she explains with effect 1 December 2007, some fragile marine park fees go up, some smaller ones go down, but first talks about the meeting:

…….

Current fee: foreign child: 200 baht, adult 400 baht

Marine park: Thai child 40 baht, adult 80 baht;

Land park: Thai child 20 baht, adult 40 baht.

------

Source: ThaisNews.com

When they begin setting precedents like this, it never stops. Even sitting down at a local "Thai" restaurant

they will often have a discussion on how much to charge the foreigner. Apartment rates, taxi charges, there

is no end to the list. I initially didn't care to pay a little extra but it's starting to get offensive on principle. :o

Last week my sister was visiting from England, so I took her to Doi Inthanon. When we got to the gate I wound the window down and showed my Thai drivers licence, and my wife (from the back seat) said "we live in Thailand". They charged us all 40 Baht :D:D

One up for the Farangs :o:D:D

When they begin setting precedents like this, it never stops. Even sitting down at a local "Thai" restaurant

they will often have a discussion on how much to charge the foreigner. Apartment rates, taxi charges, there

is no end to the list. I initially didn't care to pay a little extra but it's starting to get offensive on principle. :o

I totally agree. I don't ever remember sitting in the US and discussing how much to charge an American vs a non American. This is outright, blatant discrimination and Thai's would never have to deal with this in the US. OK, we are in Thailand now and it isn't the US, but that doesn't make it right. I remember going to Chiang Mai and they had three prices quoted in one place (not a national park). One was for Thai's, one was for farangs and the third and highest was for the Japanese.

I imagine tourists to Thailand don't know the costs as their tour guides take care of it and it is all included in the cost of coming here. They should be told that they are contributing to the same discrimination that they decry as offensive when people from their own country do this to foreigners.

The discrimination is not on race but nationality so its nationalist, not racist.

Simple to eliminate. Check everyone at the gate for a Thai National ID card. If no have, charge foreigner rate.

If you go in the parks with Thai's (family) and have Thai driving license, show it when you go in and 9 times out of ten you will get in at Thai prices, especially if you joke that you are falaang Lao and not falaang tourist.

Also at some parks the driver go's in free. That always upsets the person collecting the fees when the driver is a falaang.

Clean up the parks first ... rubbish everywhere ... and then i might pay !

I wished the national park administration would set up some trails where we could actually enjoy trekking for possibly, days (chiangmai-Maehongsong accross the forest)... as i did when in europe (France is a good example with their network of trails in national parks ... free of charge!)

Interview - Preecha Chansiritanon, Deputy Director General, National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department,

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=215348

Our interview is with Preecha Chansiritanon, Deputy Director General, National Park, Wildlife & Plant Conservation Department, through an Interpreter, Peeranuch Dul-kul, who is also a Technical Forest official, during a meeting held at the Merlin Hotel Phuket yesterday on revising park fees and limiting numbers plus safety. As she explains with effect 1 December 2007, some fragile marine park fees go up, some smaller ones go down, but first talks about the meeting:

…….

Current fee: foreign child: 200 baht, adult 400 baht

Marine park: Thai child 40 baht, adult 80 baht;

Land park: Thai child 20 baht, adult 40 baht.

--

Interview for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Wednesday 28 November 2007 & http://news.prd.go.th

-------

New national park fees are to take effect on 1st December.

Thailand’s new national park entry fees were announced on 22nd November and will take effect on 1st December 2007. The new fee regulation, which covers national parks nationwide, categorizes the parks into four lists, based on their numbers of visitors, natural resources, attractions, and facilities. The parks in the Andaman region are mostly rated in the 1st list. The entry fee for Surin and Similan national parks are 80 baht for Thai adults and 40 for Thai children, while foreign adults will be charged 400 baht with 200 baht for foreign children. The Lanta national park which covers Rog and Ngai islands and the Noparat Tara park plus the Phi Phi islands are listed on the no. 2 list with 40 baht and 20 baht fees for Thai adults and children, while foreign adults and children are still 400 and 200 baht.

MiniVDO should be on http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=215377 by this afternoon

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Thursday 29 November 2007 & http://news.prd.go.th

If you go in the parks with Thai's (family) and have Thai driving license, show it when you go in and 9 times out of ten you will get in at Thai prices, especially if you joke that you are falaang Lao and not falaang tourist.

Also at some parks the driver go's in free. That always upsets the person collecting the fees when the driver is a falaang.

As with many things in Thailand... different experiences in similar situations abound.

I've experienced no greater than perhaps a 20% success rate with what you describe in approximately 30 different National Parks all around the country.

It involves many different factors which can sometimes be as trivial as which employee is manning the gate on any particular day (successful at the same park one day and unsuccessful on another day) or even the mood of the same employee on any given day (successful at the same park one time and unsuccessful on another day with the same employee both times).

Irregardless of whether or not it's successful, it contradicts the official rules on the National Park's own website which dictate simply that there is a rate for Thais and a rate for Foreigners.

For those of us living in Thailand it pisses us off (OK, it pisses me off if it doesn't piss you off). However, these national parks don't cater to us (the odd farang showing up with his or her family). They cater to the high volumes that tour buses bring and these tourists pay for the higher price in their all in one fee for their trips to Thailand. Hence, they never know they are paying a higher price than locals as they never see it and it would never cross their minds as their countries don't do this.

As long as the high volumes of tourists are willing to pay these higher fees, which when added to the cost of their trips are nominal, then the Thai government will continue to get away with it. The only end to this is if our countries began discriminating against foreigners in our national parks and this will never happen. So, I might as well get used to it.

My policy in Thailand is that any pricing be it goods, services or national parks etc that I disagree with I do a U turn and never return especially the dual pricing system here. I believe everything comes under the buyers market category here and I as an individual deserve the right to pick and chose something that I consider to be fair. I can understand individuals pulling on the dual pricing system but here we're talking about a government supported department. In many foreign countries it would border on racism. In my estate there's many Thai Chinese with much better houses than mine, many own a Mercedes and a CRV and they are business men with multiple property and investment interests but they come under a different pricing category than me because of my race.

A full range of the new fees and service charges can be found in English language at the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department's website here.

If I'm not mistaken, Jai Dee, those are the old rates as there's no 400, 200, 100 baht and free sliding scale for Foreigners that the new rates reflect. They also report a stay of up to 7 days for one entrance fee and the new rates report 5 days.

Edited by sriracha john

I've been to several parks over the 20+ years here in Thailand. I haven't really experienced anything worth going back for and only go if I have friends visiting who might want to go.

As for double pricing in other places, yes it exists, but it is far from across the board. I had a Thai friend who came to the US with me. He got a HUGE discount on a train ticket that took him anywhere in the region. He cold get off whereever he wanted and simply rebook. My ticket cost a fortune and everytime we stopped, I had to pay a rebooking fee.

Same at a number of tourist attractions. He showed his passport--reduced price. My parents showed their ID (Over 60) senior discount. I, on the other hand paid the full price. By the way, please remember there is a standard fee and everything else is discounted.

Here, you just never know. I've been with an official outing, had my Work Permit, all documents and they refuse to budge--even had the boss think I should pay the difference. It's not the price that bothers me, it's the inconvenience and being selected out in such an obvious way. It's more embarassing than anything else.

I had an instance last year in a restaurant on the Mekong River, we were charged Thai prices for the food and farang prices for the beer. They must've been watching us like hawks because my wife ate all the food and I drank all the beer. As I'm married my wife carrys our money and when she asked to settle the bill she realised that they'd helped themselves to a surcharge and she refused to pay the extra, after a good old Thai verbal stoush she told them it's the Thai price or nothing. After she showed her Thai ID showing her married farang family name and my Thai driving licence they relented but with a furious scowl and when the change was returned in the folder it was virtually thrown at her so I took the money and threw the folder back at the person who threw it at her and the cretin actually thought he was due a tip.

My policy in Thailand is that any pricing be it goods, services or national parks etc that I disagree with I do a U turn and never return especially the dual pricing system here. I believe everything comes under the buyers market category here and I as an individual deserve the right to pick and chose something that I consider to be fair. I can understand individuals pulling on the dual pricing system but here we're talking about a government supported department. In many foreign countries it would border on racism. In my estate there's many Thai Chinese with much better houses than mine, many own a Mercedes and a CRV and they are business men with multiple property and investment interests but they come under a different pricing category than me because of my race.

True, and I must admit that I empathise with this comment when I see a very arrogant Thai person rolling up with driver and Mercedes ... but, as a proportion of the whole population, such people are just a minority. Most Thais don't earn much and it would be a pity to price them out of a day out in the National Park.

Dual pricing is present in other countries as some posters have mentioned. While I don't have a problem with tourists having to pay more, I do have an issue if I have to pay the tourist rate when I work and pay tax in the country and speak the language.

In Nepal, the VSO (similar to Peace Corps) volunteers also had to pay tourist rates at famous sites, even though they were volunteering in the country for more than 2 years at a time. There was a huge battle by the VSO office to try to get dispensation which they did in the end, so I believe, but it wasn't easy. I was a VSO in Bangladesh where there wasn't any such dual pricing system (and precious few sights to see anyway!), but it would have riled me if I'd been in Nepal trying to help their country and been charged the same as someone on a 2 week holiday.

I have actually only had one jobsworth who insisted on charging me foreign rate despite my Thai partner being there and me showing my tax card ... that was by the Bhumibol Dam by the way. All other times, I've had no problems at all and the other day, at Wat Arun, the lady even said I could go in free without being asked (I'd just asked in Thai if my English friend was dressed appropriately). Suppose it all depends on the mood of the person on the day, like so many things in life.