Paintballs In Chiang Mai?

Ajarn

My newest toy arrived sooner than expected, and I got no balls! :o

I was planning on going to BKK next week to get some paintballs, but the paintball gun arrived early....

So, anyone know where I can get some balls in CM? :D

Yesterday, when the notice came from the local post office to pick up my package, I duly sent the HK to pick it up, where she was told I had to go to Customs, since it hadn't cleared yet... :o

I'm on my way there now, after a stop at the ATM to get some palm oil, just in case ... :D

Later......

Back from customs...12,000 baht paid, a receipt for 7,000+ given in return....

Story of corruption to follow. Stay tuned, if you like.... :D

Later....

Okay, here's the story.

I went with my housekeeper to the customs office next to immigration. I had been in there a few times over the years, and I knew that corruption was the name of the game with these guys...I've done the Klong Toey game, too.

I got sent over to a building just past the airport, where customs receives, inspects, and stores all stuff arriving in CM by plane. The office was on the upper floor. I use a crutch for walking, and I feel real unstable going down stairs (stroke-related) and I could too easily picture myself tumbling down those stairs...So, I sent my HK upstairs with my passport. Some minutes later, she returns with a Thai guy in tow, who proceeds to tell me that I must get a special paper, and the cost would be 2,000 baht...I questioned him more on this, and he said it was, indeed, a requirement. So I agreed....

A bit later, he comes back with my HK and tells me that the duty would be 20%.. I was hoping for the 6% some guy on Thaivisa told me it would be, so I started to brainstorm on the tax category...Thet were calling it an air gun, so I suggested that 'sports equipment' or 'recreational equipment' might put me in a cheaper tax range?

No, everything I mentioned was 20%, they said.....In retrospect, I should have suggested 'children's toys', too. :D

Now, I could have challenged that, and waited for an in-house investigation, but we all know that the likely ending would be me not getting my stuff, ever.

It's at this point that I learn that the 2000 baht I was told I had pay was in fact, for the guy who was 'helping' my HK.... My HK said that when she first approached the uniformed customs worker, she immediately told her she would have to talk this guy 'for your service'...Now, that would have raised a flag for me, but my HK is just not tuned to that kind of stuff, and she agreed to the deal... It wouldn't have made much difference, really, as at any step, I always had the option to say no, or 'let's ask Bangkok', but that would likely never end in my favour. They use the 'rules' against you, because, it seems, from what I've experienced, any and ever rule and counter-rule is written in stone (paper pamphlet..) somewhere for the creative karachakan to protect themselves from the 'customers' (us) who try to veer away from their pre-arranged path.... To your wallet.

One thing you can always count on at customs, in my experience, is that you will always be missing something, in my case, it was a 'Bai Anuyat' (Permit) to import 'childrens toys' -_-

What can you do? I figured the only choices I had were the ones they offered to me, and whatever price was said by them was pretty much a fixed price (this is no place to make ANY open suggestion of accusations that there is corruption going on...That could make things VERY problematic, because they will simply 'go by the book' (the same one they've been using all along? ), and, happily, they will offer their personal help to get a different answer from Bkk...

So, the last part of the story....I was presented with a written estimate, based on 20% of the invoice priceand the shipping... 9,000, and change, plus the 2,000 baht to the broker (not a karachakan, btw).

I agreed. They told me it would be a couple of hours, so we went out for a bite....3o minutes later, my HK gets a call..."'khaw bawk,'Mii pen haa nitnoy', " she said to me.... ?? Huh? She passed the phone, and that's when the Bai Anuyat was mentioned...

On arrival back at the airport, a new guy comes out to greet me, papers and little green pamphlet in hand. After greetings, he opened and fanned through the book like a card shark, and said I must have a permit for importing childrens toys, I explained that this was not for children, but I got the head shake in return... Okay, maybe the permit is doable..."Where can I get this permit?" "Bangkok"......

Okay, I know when I've been beaten down....

"Khaw Tote, Khrap, Khaw chuay noi, dai mai Khrap?" kissass.gif

Magic Words to any karachakan....

BIG smile......"I'll have to talk to my bosses upstairs, BUT if they can help, you will only get a 'little' paperwork"

Leew Tae, Khrap.... :D

"If they agree to this, the total cost will be about 12,000 Bhat"

Finally some good news...this was almost exactly what I had agreed to pay earlier- 'on the books' it seems, for he was crystal clear that this was to be off the books now... He was quite friendly now since I'd just filled a few pockets (as if they are ever 'full') , and he left me with, 'If you have any problems, give me a call'...How much extra help did I buy, I wonder.... :wub:

Back with a receipt for 7,7742 baht. Further inspection shows that they changed the value to 19,800 baht (this fits with an earlier comment that it would have been easier (cheaper) if the value would have been under 20,000 baht (The real invoice value was roughly 35,000 baht). I also got a an Official Receipt for 270 baht to prove that I've paid the registration fees, making possesion (back to 'gun' now) legal.

Though I paid almost the same, clearly, a much smaller part will now be going to the government...

Good story.

Question: Do you or anyone else know if there's any documentation available that lists the scheduled import duties for various goods? I occasionally order guitar parts by mail, and when I pick them up at the PO I'm invoiced for taxes -- all documented, no bribes to speak of -- and I would just like to know how I might be able to calculate the duty in advance. This would in turn help me decide whether X part was worth ordering or not.

Good story.

Question: Do you or anyone else know if there's any documentation available that lists the scheduled import duties for various goods? I occasionally order guitar parts by mail, and when I pick them up at the PO I'm invoiced for taxes -- all documented, no bribes to speak of -- and I would just like to know how I might be able to calculate the duty in advance. This would in turn help me decide whether X part was worth ordering or not.

I saw this in another thread, and it had some interesting info...Like if the value is under 20,000 baht, customs will send it on through PO, if it came in as a postal package. That would have saved tons of hassle...

I would imagine that all guitar parts would be in the same category, but from what you said, it sounds like they're not...Are they using your value placed by the sender, or is customs assigning different values?

I looked for a list if duties, but I didn't find any. Let me know if you do, na'?

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...nalPer#eligible