Building A House A Different Way

Bpraim1

I have started to build my house over the last couple weeks and here I the progress so far, lots left to go.

No bricks and no wood ( well some wood but just cosmetics ).

I have been useing a contractor that has built houses in Australia and New Zealand, over the last 10 years. There family has been in the home building business for 27 years plus. www.freshflowservice.com website will be updated very soon to include more english information.

I highly recommend them to anyone that wants to build a house.

There work also comes with a Guarantee 5 years plus longer on steel used, for walls and roof!

And no hidden fees after the price is settled. Best of all they speak english and no translation is needed to get in the way.

My house should be finished by Christmas time, anyone in the area are welcome to stop and check it out.

I am in Baan Kram, it is on the 24 hwy very close to Khun Han,Srisaket

If you want more info please call

0859049969 Peter

I live in ban siwilai, just south and east of khunhan on the hiway to khmer. where are you from there?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ayj

I am north og Khun Han on the 24 hwy.I'm Baan kram.

ChangMai Insulation is Pu foam Closed cell 37kg/per m3 and Acoustic Batt at 40kg per m3

Pu foam is used to seal the house from air and moisture movement through the walls, along with giving the best C-R rateing availible on the market. Acoustic batt is used in the interior walls for sound dampening and in the ceiling/ roof line to work with the Pu Foam. This combo in the roof will leave me with a R-37 rateing. In the outer walls I will also use a combo of PuFoam and Acoustic batt But in smaller measurements as I only have 4'' in the wall cavity.So walls with only carry about an R-20 rateing.

This rateing may sound small but is a true rateing in realy world useage, remember Fibreglass is tested in a controled enviro. No wind, moisture or gapes (Ie the ones you get at the end and joints).

Its not alternative.

And I do not believe it is cooler than concrete/stone if the concrete/stone house is built properly, any house NOT built propely will be hot and stuffy etc.

it will be definitely cooler as most of the wall mass is nothing but "covers" and insulation. the mass of the steel stucture which might heat up and radiate is negligible if insulated from outside ambient temperature and IR-radiation.

sorry mate, but the expression "any house NOT built propely will be hot and stuffy etc." is nothing but a layman's term without any tangible facts.

:o

Ayj

I am north og Khun Han on the 24 hwy.I'm Baan kram.

ChangMai Insulation is Pu foam Closed cell 37kg/per m3 and Acoustic Batt at 40kg per m3

Pu foam is used to seal the house from air and moisture movement through the walls, along with giving the best C-R rateing availible on the market. Acoustic batt is used in the interior walls for sound dampening and in the ceiling/ roof line to work with the Pu Foam. This combo in the roof will leave me with a R-37 rateing. In the outer walls I will also use a combo of PuFoam and Acoustic batt But in smaller measurements as I only have 4'' in the wall cavity.So walls with only carry about an R-20 rateing.

This rateing may sound small but is a true rateing in realy world useage, remember Fibreglass is tested in a controled enviro. No wind, moisture or gapes (Ie the ones you get at the end and joints).

could i call you and perhaps come and see your house? it sounds extremely practical for this climate.

tony

I REALLY like the idea of PU foam filled side walls. I'm curious how they totally fill the cavity. With all the horizontal stiffening pieces between the studs, how does the foam fill the entire wall? It appears they would have to spray the foam in before the interior wall covering is put on.

Gary

Yes the Foam is sprayed in. After the outer wall, windows, electric, and plumbing are completed. The cavity is sprayed to thickness required. Then after dry can be shaved to to fit flush with wall studs. If you have space, it can be left open or filled with fiberglass batt, As I will do. Pu spray foam is great as it sticks to just about everything. And leaves no gapes or pockets for air/moisture to pass through. But is 2 to 3 times more expencive then Fiberglass batt. And packes an R6.88 rateing a 1'' thickness.

Gary

Yes the Foam is sprayed in. After the outer wall, windows, electric, and plumbing are completed. The cavity is sprayed to thickness required. Then after dry can be shaved to to fit flush with wall studs. If you have space, it can be left open or filled with fiberglass batt, As I will do. Pu spray foam is great as it sticks to just about everything. And leaves no gapes or pockets for air/moisture to pass through. But is 2 to 3 times more expencive then Fiberglass batt. And packes an R6.88 rateing a 1'' thickness.

Hmm.. I see all this talk of 6000 or 7000B per square metre, for metal frames, plastic injection..whatever,

A more robust construction, with slightly more character can be done for the same.... why bother with "cheap" construction methods better suited to the Australian Outback?

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displ...m=13&pos=19

John

Some time back my wife and I were on a short trip. We passed a huge new home and my wife made the comment that it was beautiful. I asked her if she wanted a house like that. I got a strange look from her and she asked me "Why"? She is of the opinion that it would be wasted space and more work for her. Some day I want to build a new house and she wants a big bedroom with a bathroom for us, a guest bedroom and another bathroom for the guest bedroom but not in that bedroom. She also wants me to have my own computer room so I don't stink up the rest of the house with my cigarette smoke. I recently discussed replacing the windows in our house and making some other improvements as well as adding another bathroom. She didn't want to waste the money if I was planning on building a new house in a few more years. She has the budget all worked out and estimates we can build in three more years by saving from my monthly pension. The house she wants would be about 120 square meters. She doesn't much care about the exterior but wants the interior BEAUTIFUL. This fits my golden rule to NEVER spend more than I can afford to walk away from.

Some time back my wife and I were on a short trip. We passed a huge new home and my wife made the comment that it was beautiful. I asked her if she wanted a house like that. I got a strange look from her and she asked me "Why"? She is of the opinion that it would be wasted space and more work for her. Some day I want to build a new house and she wants a big bedroom with a bathroom for us, a guest bedroom and another bathroom for the guest bedroom but not in that bedroom. She also wants me to have my own computer room so I don't stink up the rest of the house with my cigarette smoke. I recently discussed replacing the windows in our house and making some other improvements as well as adding another bathroom. She didn't want to waste the money if I was planning on building a new house in a few more years. She has the budget all worked out and estimates we can build in three more years by saving from my monthly pension. The house she wants would be about 120 square meters. She doesn't much care about the exterior but wants the interior BEAUTIFUL. This fits my golden rule to NEVER spend more than I can afford to walk away from.

please convey my admiration to your wife for her priorities and my congratulations to you for your lack of a need to build a monster showhome to impress the locals

please convey my admiration to your wife for her priorities and my congratulations to you for your lack of a need to build a monster showhome to impress the locals

Huge farang built houses are apparently bad luck. There are a number of these homes built in this area of the boonies. With the exception of one there are no foreigners living in these homes. The only one occasionally occupied is a Japanese guy who shows up from time to time. The most elaborate home is falling to pieces because of no maintenance at all.

This is not to say that I have not spent money on my wife. I bought her two small 10 rai farms and two building lots in our village. When I leave (not likely, I hope) or die, she will not be saddled with keeping up a huge house she never needed anyways. She will be able to make a modest living from the land.

Added - One thing that would cause me to leave would be her family members moving in with us. Since it's her house it's up to her, I told her that if she sees fit to have family members move in I would be on my way back to the farang ghettos to live in MY condo. My privacy and peace of mind is much more important to me than the property I bought her.

Edited by Gary A

Hahahaa, I love Gary A.

I and my wife are also not into huge homes with huge up keep. Though we do like to look at them, in ourworld there are better ways to spend our money.

I like Yormans house but see it three times on my soi in Bkk. Lack of character I think he said my unfinished house has, guess it is not big enough for him, or charater means build same as everyone else has.

I have the only house like this in Thailand at this time, that I or the Contractor I use knows of. So if I don't have charater I do have an alternative Different house, As my topic says! The locals call it the cartoon house as they have never seen anything like it. I have person after person stop to ask about it.

Where are the bricks gonig to go they ask, Is it all windows? When the wind comes your house will blow away!. Is funny sometimes to hear what they have to say about different ways.

So John as for charater people don't just drive by my house and say look at that farang built, they stop at mine to ask about!

Hahahaa, I love Gary A.

I and my wife are also not into huge homes with huge up keep. Though we do like to look at them, in ourworld there are better ways to spend our money.

I like Yormans house but see it three times on my soi in Bkk. Lack of character I think he said my unfinished house has, guess it is not big enough for him, or charater means build same as everyone else has.

I have the only house like this in Thailand at this time, that I or the Contractor I use knows of. So if I don't have charater I do have an alternative Different house, As my topic says! The locals call it the cartoon house as they have never seen anything like it. I have person after person stop to ask about it.

Where are the bricks gonig to go they ask, Is it all windows? When the wind comes your house will blow away!. Is funny sometimes to hear what they have to say about different ways.

So John as for charater people don't just drive by my house and say look at that farang built, they stop at mine to ask about!

When you are comfortable in your air conditioned home and get your electric bill, you will certainly have the last laugh. A friend of mine who is used to creature comforts had a house in Jomtien leased. His electric bill was usually around 15,000 baht a month. He has now nearly completed his new home. Of course it is huge. He wanted an energy efficient home so he used the block laminated together with foam. There are two thicknesses of those blocks available. He chose the thin ones and laid a double course with an air space in between. He also sprayed under his roof with PU foam. I asked him why he bothered because it was doing very little good with the insulation in his ceiling. He didn't agree but told me that the foam locked roof tiles together, sealed them and he would never have to worry about cracked tile or leaks. His electric bill was cut in half for a much bigger house so he is quite happy. He is a good friend so I could tell him I thought he was crazy for having such a huge house. He laughed and told me that's what he wanted. The bottom line is he thinks money spent on insulation is money well spent.

Hahahaa, I love Gary A.

Its not really about character, its about value for money. Of course the Thais stop by, they can't believe you have done it when they have built a block house for 200,000B

Some questions.......

Do you want your house built just differently? For what reasons I cannot surmise. Its an individuals lifestyle choice I agree, nothing wrong with that

Do you want value for money? i.e. more house for your baht

Do you want your house built solidly, it wont be a blown over thai corrugated event in 20 years time

Do you prefer plastic, blown in plastic insulation, to solid brick, concrete, and roof tile?

If you do, and you are happy with it, then so be it.. and errr I dont live on a "Soi"..tis Bangkok talk :o

Edited by yorkman

Show me a house of this size and spec that is built by block for 200,000.

Answers

1, I want to built my house the same way we have done for years in Canada, But being that I am in a different enviro, and wood is out of the price range, I felt steel studs would do just fine. Spec's are the same as building a house in America.

2, More house for my baht, Yes I do, That is why I chose steel studs, cheaper then wood and brick.

3, Yes I want a strong house that is why I have stayed with the Canadian building code, with small changes to adapt to a tropic enviro.

4, I guess in a way PU Foam is a plastic, It is used in almost every fridge, freezer, and is now Build code for homes built in hurricane areas, as par it's ability to add structural integrity. It is also air/water inpermeable and will not mold, Unlike brick! Concrete!

5, I did not mean that you lived in Bkk, I ment I see you house everyway! On the other hand I have not seen a house like mine yet. Indavidual Character my house has.

So as for a solid house, If mine is not solid then no other home in Canada or North America is! Doesn't have to be Brick to be Solid

Just kind of a wild question. Can you apply stucco over PU foam?

Probably not, it would fall down :o

Ahhh, see the above posts, if you want individuality, and I am all for it, go for it!! No harm done.

But crikey, I will scratch around for some pictures of Favela in South America, the pictures posted by the OP do look a bit similar.

Fair enough, if you can do this for, lets say, 3000B per square metre, it has got to be worth consideration for those on a budget.

I just dont want a house built from prefabricated steel, some plastic bits and some blown in foam. Is this proven to stand up to the Thai climate? . The termites will want none of it I suppose, there is an advantage :D

John

Reason for edit, just spotted it, the link between the OP and http://www.freshflowservice.com/.... sigh..yet another. IP Address with the rather amateur use of Proxies. Yet another chancer in Thailand methinks

Edited by yorkman

why bother with "cheap" construction methods better suited to the Australian Outback?

Ahh, ignorance is a bliss & a curse. :D

Only a Pom could come out with a pearl like that. :o

Cheers Gungadin. A man after my own heart. You could not have made it any clearer. See my post #10 on this topic. I have built dozens of schools and clinics on Aboriginal communities in the outback, mainly the Northern Territory and steel or aluminium was the method that we used. A "cheap construction method" in the outback would be gone in no time but as you say ignorance is bliss (or a curse). I also worked on the construction of RAAF base Tindal out of Katherine and everything was steel. Anyone that has seen what termites can do to timber and yes even concrete or experienced the wind before the onslaught of a tropical storm in the outback knows what i am talking about.

There's an old saying in the outback that if you stand still long enough the white ants will eat the soles off your boots. They demolish timber structures in no time. They will even eat through electrical cable heavy duty plastic conduits.

These steel or aluminium frame buildings that we built back in the 80's are still going strong, they are clean, comfortable and with ceiling fans and insulated walls and ceilings are certainly cooler than being outside in 45degree ++ temperatures.

In more recent years (2002 up to the tsunami) i worked in Afghanistan building schools and clinic and we had a British engineer who came up with the idea of building a steel frame building, complete with internal and external cladding and then to simulate traditional buildings to put 50 cms (1.5 feet for the Americans) of the normal straw/mud mixture all over it to insulate it and make it look like a traditional local building. At least the Taliban couldn't burn them down!!!! :D

Hahahaa, I love Gary A.

Its not really about character, its about value for money. Of course the Thais stop by, they can't believe you have done it when they have built a block house for 200,000B

Some questions.......

Do you want your house built just differently? For what reasons I cannot surmise. Its an individuals lifestyle choice I agree, nothing wrong with that

Do you want value for money? i.e. more house for your baht

Do you want your house built solidly, it wont be a blown over thai corrugated event in 20 years time

Do you prefer plastic, blown in plastic insulation, to solid brick, concrete, and roof tile?

If you do, and you are happy with it, then so be it.. and errr I dont live on a "Soi"..tis Bangkok talk :o

My Mom's house is located a little over 1 block from the beach in Mississippi. It has been through too many hurricanes to remember. It is a stick-built house and was built in 1965. Hurricane Camille came directly over the house. Only lost a few roof tiles (shingles). Many trees lost though (around 10 if I remember correctly).

Hurricane Katrina got 21 trees but the house is still standing. Lost one-third of the shingles this time and 2 windows upstairs which were not boarded up. There was 1.5 feet of water which entered the house. EVERY house roughly 75 meters South (towards the beach) of her house is gone, nothing but a slab left. That's because the water got em, not the wind.

In 1965 the buiding code was nowhere near what it is now for that area. As you can see, a properly built stick-built house can last and take a lot of punishment. BTW, the heat, humidity, and sun where the house is located is very similar as that here in Thailand.

Steel-framed houses are becoming more popular in the States because the prices are getting reasonable. Last time I looked the cost was about 10% higher than a stick-built home.

I may re-consider and go the steel frame route here in Thailand. I do like the Smartblock though, it is a fantastic product. For extra insulation on outer walls the Smartblock can simply be laid on it's side rather than traditional laying method.

Bpraim1, thanks for a very informative post. :D

What on earth is a stick built house? i have worked in the construction industry for more than 50 years and I have never heard this term used.

That's a very common phrase at least in the US Midwest. It simply means a house that is built board by board with each piece of lumber nailed in. Years ago the standard construction was studs 16 inches on center with floor joists normally 12 inches on center. Prefab roof trusses have been around for a long time now and are very strong. Over the years things have changed and everything has been cheapened. Normal construction now for walls have gone to 24 inch centers unless building codes won't allow it.