Building A House A Different Way

Bpraim1

Ok Back in Bkk for a couple days, so have some new pics of th house. We are now about 1 week from completion. We ran into some product supply problems. Seems no one outside Bkk uses 8mm Shera flexi board. 4mm seems to be good enough.

Soundman Your welcome anytime. The beer fridge will be in next week, should be full day after!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the looks of your place, with the exception of the perimeter wall. I'm a little more into concrete block perimeter walls for some reason.

Perhaps our dissident Yorkman could share some photos of the house he has built so we could make some comparisons.

I just completed my house outside Udorn but, alas, I have no photos to share. It is Thai traditional concrete block construction.

I'm afraid that the spray on PU is now out of the question for me. I got a price from A.R.C. Insulation Co. and they want 480 baht per square meter for 25 mm thickness plus VAT and other expenses.

ADDED - A quick calculation come to about 500,000 baht just for the sprayed PU and their expenses.

Edited by Gary A

Gary,

I will find the company name that was used a send it off to you. I sprayed 240m2 of foam at a cost of 90,000 all in. Closed cell 34kg-36kg per m3. At a depth of 3''. Was around 320m2 plus transportation. I sprayed walls and roof only. The floor is only seal coated.

Gary,

I will find the company name that was used a send it off to you. I sprayed 240m2 of foam at a cost of 90,000 all in. Closed cell 34kg-36kg per m3. At a depth of 3''. Was around 320m2 plus transportation. I sprayed walls and roof only. The floor is only seal coated.

Thanks for that. I was quite disappointed at ARC's ridiculous price. I tried to get a price per cubic meter rather than the 1 inch, 2 inch etc. price but that was not offered.

Gary,

I'm not so much in to all this technical stuff :o , but if you can update some directions to your place, I might drop by and visit one day, ............that is........ if you're there and the fridge is working :D:D

Gary,

Thanks for that. I was quite disappointed at ARC's ridiculous price. I tried to get a price per cubic meter rather than the 1 inch, 2 inch etc. price but that was not offered.

Ahhh well, the joys of living in a closed foam house, or other barely removed from a trailer park. Cheap crap promoted by a farang for profit.

Building techniques eh? I would rather be up on stilts in a typical thai house :D:o

Edited by yorkman

Nice house. It is about time someone built a modern energy efficient home around here. The standard solid concrete homes in Thailand are cheap to build but you get what you pay for. A piece of concrete crap. There should be a real market around here for a more modern efficient home as you have built. The extra money it cost you to build will easily be made back it energy savings.

Nice house. It is about time someone built a modern energy efficient home around here. The standard solid concrete homes in Thailand are cheap to build but you get what you pay for. A piece of concrete crap. There should be a real market around here for a more modern efficient home as you have built. The extra money it cost you to build will easily be made back it energy savings.

???????????

have you ever seen a "solid concrete house"? :o

OK. I should have said " Solid concrete MASONRY construction". I stand corrected.

My tentative plans are to lay two strings of 2 1/2 inch thick hollow cement blocks and inject foam in between them. If PU foam is too expensive, I'll go with Styrofoam and fit the sheets together as snugly as possible. After I calculate the cost, I'll compare that to the insulated super blocks.

Gary,

Ahhh well, the joys of living in a closed foam house, or other barely removed from a trailer park. Cheap crap promoted by a farang for profit.

Building techniques eh? I would rather be up on stilts in a typical thai house :D:o

Well well Dorkman sings again! Nice to read your input into this topic, I see the world has another product of drunk'n sex! I would realy like you to prove that I sell these houses or shut your mouth!

I do hope someone has found this way of building a help. There are more ways out there to build then wood, or concrete.

Bergen, I am just off the hwy 24 about 700m. About 23km from kantaraluk, straight above Khun han, In Baan Kram. Give me a call and I can meet you on the hwy.

Well well Dorkman sings again! Nice to read your input into this topic, I see the world has another product of drunk'n sex! I would realy like you to prove that I sell these houses or shut your mouth!

Don't let him get to you Bpraim. I've been following this thread for a while and your house looks like it's really coming together. Well done. :o

I've got the land etc but haven't started construction yet, so although i don't think i'd personally choose that type of construction, it's really interesting to see different methods. The world would be a boring place if we all lived in identical houses. :D

have you ever seen a "solid concrete house"? :D

:o:D

GaryA,

Here is the company that I used

Newtech & J Service co ltd

02563-5242, 02153-115-6

I don't have a name as I got them through my contractor. But they were ok, some child labour but finished product was good. Price was right and spec was on.

:o Well, there is an old saying "Thou protests too much"

This is getting to be hilarious as you reposition and justify why Thailand needs slum housing worthy of an NGO project in Africa.

"drunk'n sex?" Well I had a small Lao at my last post, agreed. And my wife was downstrairs talking to her friends. Hardly a situation where you would go for a back scuttle over the table end.

Do carry on, this is very amusing :D

:o ok great house buiding information ! mine is 200sqm , mine 300 , no 400 , 600 ! who get the biggest dick ? and why go to thailand , to reproduce what you have home ? and the environment ? not important is just thailand ! and the look , the lanna style ? just good for thai ? reading most of you guy , make me sad to be a member of " the developt country "

:o Well, there is an old saying "Thou protests too much"

This is getting to be hilarious as you reposition and justify why Thailand needs slum housing worthy of an NGO project in Africa.

"drunk'n sex?" Well I had a small Lao at my last post, agreed. And my wife was downstrairs talking to her friends. Hardly a situation where you would go for a back scuttle over the table end.

Do carry on, this is very amusing :D

I was speaking more along the lines of how you came to be, Some things are just better swallowed!

I have just finished reading this whole thread and find it entertaining.Bpraim1 I really am impressed with the choice of building design.Your home looks to be a very well constucted home.The metal studding does seem to be a good choice with the interior spray and choice of exterior covering.I think it will hold up very well in the Thai climate.As long as the attic is well vented that should keep a lot of the roof heat out of the interior.Good luck with your plans and enjoy your life. :o

Ok, Enough time in bkk

Time to get back to the house building, Will be back in two weeks with the finished product photos.

Thanks for all the input and help with building my house.

Super photos. Good effort.

That looks excellent.

2000B a square metre?

If so you have hit the gold lode that many Thai can do already. :o

Except they can do it in concrete and steel, and it looks rather better inside and outside.

But carry on with your promotiion, seen here many times. Amusing...........

Edited by yorkman

Ok, Enough time in bkk

Time to get back to the house building, Will be back in two weeks with the finished product photos.

Thanks for all the input and help with building my house.

Super photos. Good effort.

That looks excellent.

2000B a square metre?

If so you have hit the gold lode that many Thai can do already. :o

Except they can do it in concrete and steel, and it looks rather better inside and outside.

But carry on with your promotiion, seen here many times. Amusing...........

Well he has almost finished his house mate so who will you harrass next? Get your head back on your shoulders mate - it's pretty dark and not very pleasant where it is right now.

Bpraim1,

I have read the entire thread and am very interested in your choice of housing. please keep us updated! I would also love to see final photos of the finished house and if you let us know the final cost that would be great too.

Cheers

Naam, as a matter of fact, I have seen an all concrete home and I thought it was quite unique. It was basically a basement that was open only on the front of the house. All the dirt that was dug out was used to cover the entire thing. It had the only roof I ever saw that needed to be mowed. :D It was a bit odd not having any windows, but the guy told me it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was constructed on a small hill so no water problems. It had clay drainage tiles all the way around the foundation draining towards the front and down the hill. He got the plans from some magazine like Mother Earth. He felt quite safe during tornado season.

Naam, as a matter of fact, I have seen an all concrete home and I thought it was quite unique. It was basically a basement that was open only on the front of the house. All the dirt that was dug out was used to cover the entire thing. It had the only roof I ever saw that needed to be mowed. :D It was a bit odd not having any windows, but the guy told me it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was constructed on a small hill so no water problems. It had clay drainage tiles all the way around the foundation draining towards the front and down the hill. He got the plans from some magazine like Mother Earth. He felt quite safe during tornado season.

i have seen a few real concrete houses too Gary. end of 1989 we were interested to buy a home on the Virgin Islands. that was 2 or 3 months after hurricane Hugo devastated the islands, a lot of the buildings were destroyed and only foundations and swimming pools were left.

Bpraim, I have folowed your posts with interest, mainly for this reason, our beauty salon with massage and sauna was finished last june, the ground floor is the salon with 2 kitchens i euro, 1 thai, outside and covered, 2nd floor insulated and tinted double glazed netted windows, for rest area, bedrooms and my office, 3rd floor is open plan, 1 mtre high walls and roof on columns opposite way to a normal thai house, its 23 mtrs long and 12 wide, so quite an area, Thing is, we cant have a quite evening outside, potatoe and sugar trucks groaning up the hill and local traffic too, so im looking to build a bungalow on our farm, and also as a retirement home for us in 15 or so years time, please ignore the critics on here and keep posting, and goodluck with the home, rgds, Lickey.