Building A House A Different Way

Bpraim1

Nice house. It is about time someone built a modern energy efficient home around here. The standard solid concrete homes in Thailand are cheap to build but you get what you pay for. A piece of concrete crap. There should be a real market around here for a more modern efficient home as you have built. The extra money it cost you to build will easily be made back it energy savings.

have you ever seen a "solid concrete house"? :o

Naam, as a matter of fact, I have seen an all concrete home and I thought it was quite unique. It was basically a basement that was open only on the front of the house. All the dirt that was dug out was used to cover the entire thing. It had the only roof I ever saw that needed to be mowed. :D It was a bit odd not having any windows, but the guy told me it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was constructed on a small hill so no water problems. It had clay drainage tiles all the way around the foundation draining towards the front and down the hill. He got the plans from some magazine like Mother Earth. He felt quite safe during tornado season.

http://www.concretehomesmagazine.com/

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice house. It is about time someone built a modern energy efficient home around here. The standard solid concrete homes in Thailand are cheap to build but you get what you pay for. A piece of concrete crap. There should be a real market around here for a more modern efficient home as you have built. The extra money it cost you to build will easily be made back it energy savings.

have you ever seen a "solid concrete house"? :o

Naam, as a matter of fact, I have seen an all concrete home and I thought it was quite unique. It was basically a basement that was open only on the front of the house. All the dirt that was dug out was used to cover the entire thing. It had the only roof I ever saw that needed to be mowed. :D It was a bit odd not having any windows, but the guy told me it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was constructed on a small hill so no water problems. It had clay drainage tiles all the way around the foundation draining towards the front and down the hill. He got the plans from some magazine like Mother Earth. He felt quite safe during tornado season.

http://www.concretehomesmagazine.com/

Joel, i think Naam was having a bit of a joke about the "solid concrete" part. As in, 4 walls then totally filled in with concrete, making it solid. :D

Well I have seen a solid concrete home.They prepare the ground then place the rebar.Pour the concret to make the fondation and the floor.Then build the "cage" of rebar for the walls leaving openings for the windows and doors.It is connected to the rebar from the floor.Forms are placed around the rebar for the walls.Concrete is poured into the forms.After set the forms are removed and the roof is made with rebar connected to the rebar from the walls.Many scafoldings are placed under the roof.Forms are placed between the rebar and the scafolding.What they call a "3 inch" pour of concrete is poured into the roof forms.It is about 6 inchs thick.The 3 inch pour refers to the thickness of the concrete when it is wet,like gravy.After it startes to set they will stamp it.To make it look the way you would like.Flat tile,square tile,round tile ......etc.The home does cost a little bit more then block but.......It can withstand sustained winds of over 200mph and is fire retardent.When it is done it looks like any other block home.Just fantstic!!I will drive by the one I saw them build and take a photo when I have time .Oh it looks like a bird cage, very interesting when it is only rebar.

Edited by blue eyes

why bother with "cheap" construction methods better suited to the Australian Outback?

Ahh, ignorance is a bliss & a curse. :D

Only a Pom could come out with a pearl like that. :o

Cheers Gungadin. A man after my own heart. You could not have made it any clearer. See my post #10 on this topic. I have built dozens of schools and clinics on Aboriginal communities in the outback, mainly the Northern Territory and steel or aluminium was the method that we used. A "cheap construction method" in the outback would be gone in no time but as you say ignorance is bliss (or a curse). I also worked on the construction of RAAF base Tindal out of Katherine and everything was steel. Anyone that has seen what termites can do to timber and yes even concrete or experienced the wind before the onslaught of a tropical storm in the outback knows what i am talking about.

There's an old saying in the outback that if you stand still long enough the white ants will eat the soles off your boots. They demolish timber structures in no time. They will even eat through electrical cable heavy duty plastic conduits.

These steel or aluminium frame buildings that we built back in the 80's are still going strong, they are clean, comfortable and with ceiling fans and insulated walls and ceilings are certainly cooler than being outside in 45degree ++ temperatures.

In more recent years (2002 up to the tsunami) i worked in Afghanistan building schools and clinic and we had a British engineer who came up with the idea of building a steel frame building, complete with internal and external cladding and then to simulate traditional buildings to put 50 cms (1.5 feet for the Americans) of the normal straw/mud mixture all over it to insulate it and make it look like a traditional local building. At least the Taliban couldn't burn them down!!!! :D

Mate you're spot on.

I lived in the bush in NT for a fair while, Yarralin and Minyerri. The Gov. houses provided were as you described and were bloody good. Steel frame etc. Low maint. and cool. The last one I had in Yarralin was particularly good. On poles with a big breeze way separating living and sleeping quarters. Ceiling fans and aircon in every room, but not split systems.

We had massive rains and the steel roof wasm't an issue. In the big wets you sit out side and watch in awe.

I'm building soon and I reckon they're the way to go.

Cheers

Geoff

At the end of the day, despite the OP's transparent marketing of second rate housing for profit........

Just build as the Thais do, it is as cheap as chips compared with your home country. Solid wood houses, or mortar and bricks. The locals will snigger behind your back if you want this, and I translate as a "bird shit farang" to use the local colloquilism

Each to how they can afford, very true, but this is not the future in Thailand, even seen through the poorest eyes, I hope

At the end of the day, despite the OP's transparent marketing of second rate housing for profit........

Just build as the Thais do, it is as cheap as chips compared with your home country. Solid wood houses, or mortar and bricks. The locals will snigger behind your back if you want this, and I translate as a "bird shit farang" to use the local colloquilism

Each to how they can afford, very true, but this is not the future in Thailand, even seen through the poorest eyes, I hope

There are some Thai Visa members that I'm not particularly fond of. When I see them replying to a post, I just avoid reading what they have posted. As for this thread, why would I care if he IS promoting these houses? I have found the posts interesting and the construction method is a good way to have an energy efficient house. The OP has furnished some good information for me and I appreciate his efforts. Yorkman obviously doesn't like the OP so rather than continue to berate his posts, it would be better for him to simply ignore them.

Joel, i think Naam was having a bit of a joke about the "solid concrete" part. As in, 4 walls then totally filled in with concrete, making it solid. :D

good to know that some people exist who do understand what i am trying to convey :o

good to know that some people exist who do understand what i am trying to convey :o

I think Naam knows what I was trying to convey myself. As in solid wall masonry / concrete construction. Meaning no cavity wall with insulation.

Means a cheapskate or cheap charlie........

If they are sniggering behind ones back from a maybe apparent waste of money or poor building technique the more appropriate saying would be farang ngoh....

By the by,

Many of us on this forum are enjoying braim's thread irrespective of whether he is perceived as selling or promoting or just building to live in it.....

Pls. don't turn it into a shouting match or a piss/ing/taking contest.

Cheers,

Soundman.

11. THE UTILITY OF NON-EXISTENCE

Though thirty spokes may form the wheel,

it is the hole within the hub

which gives the wheel utility.

It is not the clay the potter throws,

which gives the pot its usefulness,

but the space within the shape,

from which the pot is made.

Without a door, the room cannot be entered,

and without windows it is dark.

Such is the utility of non-existence

From the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

Chownah

There are some Thai Visa members that I'm not particularly fond of. When I see them replying to a post, I just avoid reading what they have posted. As for this thread, why would I care if he IS promoting these houses? I have found the posts interesting and the construction method is a good way to have an energy efficient house. The OP has furnished some good information for me and I appreciate his efforts. Yorkman obviously doesn't like the OP so rather than continue to berate his posts, it would be better for him to simply ignore them.

Hi Gary A, perhaps im 1 of those members you scroll over quick, its ok, i dont mind, if you do read my posts, thanks, i read most of yorkmans posts and it strikes me if ive seen a chicken with 3 legs, he has seen one with six legs!!! he also knows exactly why the airplane landed short of the heathrow runway and has an "arrangement" with his wife, whatever that means?

Back on subject, OPs post, how deep have you done the footings for your house? is it on a slight hillside where the rain could affect the surrounding ground ect, Thanks, L

I do, I do, but still if fails to sink in.

Second rate, nay third rate housing, should not be the future, or promoted, in Thailand. If you care about the country that is. Or you may as well join in with Thaksin and his Baan Ua-arthorn housing program.

He and his cronies profited. Some hope to hang on his shirtails.

Hi Gary A, perhaps im 1 of those members you scroll over quick, its ok, i dont mind, if you do read my posts, thanks, i read most of yorkmans posts and it strikes me if ive seen a chicken with 3 legs, he has seen one with six legs!!! he also knows exactly why the airplane landed short of the heathrow runway and has an "arrangement" with his wife, whatever that means?

Back on subject, OPs post, how deep have you done the footings for your house? is it on a slight hillside where the rain could affect the surrounding ground ect, Thanks, L

Hi Lickey. If you look at the photos that OP posted on page 1 you will see that the footings and pier and beam system are excellent - looks like the footings are 600 to 700mm deep and well reinforced and the house is built on flat ground. See my comments at post # 10.

The steel frame concept is used extensively and very successfully throughout the world, yes even in the UK where as a vistor to his country to attend housing industry conferences I have seen many new housing developments using steel frames. The demand for steel framed houses in the US and other western countries is increasing dramatically as the demand for timber far exceeds the availability and Governments are becoming more concerned about the effect on the environment. Steel is far more durable and the comparison of stability between steel frame and concrete and block systems in an earthquake is evident.

The demand is high in Thailand. There is a major manufacturer of steel framing for buildings in Rayong and they produce for the local and export market.

I agree with you. This fellow with 2 heads (see his avatar photo) is handy with the sarcasm. I believe that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, particularly when you don't know what you are talking about. Let's humour him. Tolerance is a virtue.

Does seem a little strange that someone would belive that a steal framed building would be "cheap"as in not constucted strong or well.If I remember what my eyes have seen it is that all large and or strong buildings are made from steel with a covering over them.

Despite all the 'garden shed' comments I'm interested in this construction system although how well it would translate into the style my wife wants (Central Thai pole house) I don't know yet.

Anyone got a pukka email address for these chaps, I want to send some drawings for them to look at and the contact form won't let me.

Maybe it just depends on where you are from as to whether you like this construction style? In the US and Canada, stick framed houses are popular and people from those countries might be more open to a house built this way. Essentially it is a stick frame house, just with steel instead of wood. From my travels to Europe, it seems like they like brick and concrete houses more, so they might have more problems with this style of house?

Being from the US, I would not have a problem with this type of construction. It appears solid. It appears well insulated, with stuff that would probably be better than fiberglass batting. I could put electrical and plumbing in just the same way I would on a stick frame house in the US.

You could put whatever type of siding you wanted on the outside. You could put stucco, or wood siding, or really whatever you wanted. My cousin's $2Mil house in Seattle has concrete composite siding. Which is what you see on all the higher end houses these days. You could put some brick or stone accents on the entry way.

He put on a steel roof, but I would imagine you could put in whatever type you wanted, as long as the trusses could withstand the load.

Maybe a person does not want to do it exactly like he has, but it gives good ideas on how you could do things.

Seems like you could make a house like using this system if you wanted.

Exterior_w_landscape.sized.jpg

Edited by jstumbo

There are many different ways to build homes. I was surprised when my brother started building his home in the Seattle area a few years ago. It was a "kit" home. All of the walls were prefabbed in a warehouse. They were delivered to the site with studs, sheeting, siding, and windows installed. Made from the same materials as a house built on site. The crane would lift them up, set them in place and then nail them in place. They went from a foundation to a weather tight house with roof in 3 days for a 350m2 2-story house.

There are many different ways to build homes. I was surprised when my brother started building his home in the Seattle area a few years ago. It was a "kit" home. All of the walls were prefabbed in a warehouse. They were delivered to the site with studs, sheeting, siding, and windows installed. Made from the same materials as a house built on site. The crane would lift them up, set them in place and then nail them in place. They went from a foundation to a weather tight house with roof in 3 days for a 350m2 2-story house.

When I say "kit" home, I should add that it was a custom design that my brother had made. Also, custruction was exactly like if it was built on site, just that the walls were built on a flat floor in a large weather controlled warehouse instead of being done on the jobsite. They just pre-built all the walls off of the blueprints.

Ah,the BIG BOYS with the CASH. So now we know where the FAT CATS lived all we have to do is drive down the road and your house sticks out like nothing else. You guys must hate Thai culture and could not care a rats ass how the Thai people see you. Some of that respect you think your getting from your nieghbors, think again. We have a manson house in our village, he is not well liked. Its like rubbing our nose in it " my house is bigger then yours" you poor stupid farmers.

Look Im not trying to BASH you,but this is they way it looks. I feel sorry for you that you could not live comfortable in a average THAI STYLE house.

Please excuse me I live in a concreat Thai style 2 bedroom house.

Edited by IMChris

Not my home, just a picture of a McMansion that I found on the Internet

My cousin's house makes that house look small. His is around 6500ft2. Way to big for me. I have a very modest 1800ft2 home in the US.

I was just trying to illustrate that using the metal framing, you could pretty much do anything the same way as if you did wood framing. That if you wanted you could build one that looked like the picture that I posted. People were saying that a house built with this method would look like a chicken coop, or a tin shed. It does not have to, just depends on how you design the thing.

You could build one out of concrete and brick that looks like a garden shed, or you could build one out of concrete and brick that looks very nice. All in the design.

Ah,the BIG BOYS with the CASH. So now we know where the FAT CATS lived all we have to do is drive down the road and your house sticks out like nothing else. You guys must hate Thai culture and could not care a rats ass how the Thai people see you. Some of that respect you think your getting from your nieghbors, think again. We have a manson house in our village, he is not well liked. Its like rubbing our nose in it " my house is bigger then yours" you poor stupid farmers.

Look Im not trying to BASH you,but this is they way it looks. I feel sorry for you that you could not live comfortable in a average THAI STYLE house.

there's no reason to be sorry for us "big boys" Chris. to each his own, live and let live! our home has presently 465m² airconditioned living area and soon (in about a week's time) a bit more than 600m².

would you believe me if i tell you that it is one of the (area wise) smallest, but not cheapest, home in our community? i don't respect a neighbour whose home is triple the size of mine and i don't expect respect from a neighbour who's home is smaller than mine. that applies perhaps to Beverly Hills but not to Thailand.

what i do respect is that you can live comfortably in your two-bedroom home... but i don't envy you.

what i do respect is that you can live comfortably in your two-bedroom home... but i don't envy you.

Nor would I , living in a plastic house.

But what is really amazing is that the moderators on this sub forum have not recocognised this as a self promotion thread with profit for the OP

GaryA will no doubt chip in again, about his opinions (remotely) about other forum members. Who cares ? :o

there's no reason to be sorry for us "big boys" Chris. to each his own, live and let live! our home has presently 465m² airconditioned living area and soon (in about a week's time) a bit more than 600m².

would you believe me if i tell you that it is one of the (area wise) smallest, but not cheapest, home in our community? i don't respect a neighbour whose home is triple the size of mine and i don't expect respect from a neighbour who's home is smaller than mine. that applies perhaps to Beverly Hills but not to Thailand.

I dont care what you think......... just pointing out a fact SIR. :o

First of all, I think a well insulated steel framed house is a great idea. As far as being cheap, I'm convinced that it is more expensive than double block insulated wall construction.

Secondly, I don't feel the need to have to impress anyone nor criticize anyone for the type of house they choose. I'm by no means a wealthy man but if I were, I'd still choose a two bedroom single level home like I have. My in laws are NOT welcome to move into my house even if I did have room for them. I have all my computer junk in the extra bedroom but it also has a bed (king size in fact) for the rare times we have overnight guests. I can't even remember the last time we ate in the dining room. It's just wasted space.

Third and finally, I can see absolutely no reason to have a huge house. What purpose does it serve? I really wouldn't want to go on a hike to find my wife. I want her within yelling distance. I guess I could call her on her phone but then again she usually leaves it on the dining room table so it would just irritate me to have to go look for her. I'd rather hike in the great outdoors if that urge ever hits me. The eighty meters to the back wall of the property is far enough for me to walk.

Third and finally, I can see absolutely no reason to have a huge house. What purpose does it serve?

it makes some people feel less claustrophobic and it ensures that the maid is not too bored :D other people like to walk around in their "huge" (whatever "huge" means) houses just to enjoy the things they have collected over decades such as oriental rugs, sculptures, antique furniture, paintings and chandeliers. sometimes they get a magnifying glass and study for 10-15 minutes a tiny miniature painted on ivory which hangs on the wall, once in a while they open a drawer of an age old secretary and admire the craftsmanship a joiner has used 1½ or 2 centuries ago assembling it without using any metal fastener and wonder why still it's rock solid...

of course i could list another dozen reasons but it doesn't make sense to discuss the brush stroke and the colours of an old dutch master with a blind man or trying to explain the basics of quantum physics to a gardener whilst he trims a bush :o