Building A House A Different Way

Bpraim1

Third and finally, I can see absolutely no reason to have a huge house. What purpose does it serve?

it makes some people feel less claustrophobic and it ensures that the maid is not too bored :D other people like to walk around in their "huge" (whatever "huge" means) houses just to enjoy the things they have collected over decades such as oriental rugs, sculptures, antique furniture, paintings and chandeliers. sometimes they get a magnifying glass and study for 10-15 minutes a tiny miniature painted on ivory which hangs on the wall, once in a while they open a drawer of an age old secretary and admire the craftsmanship a joiner has used 1½ or 2 centuries ago assembling it without using any metal fastener and wonder why still it's rock solid...

of course i could list another dozen reasons but it doesn't make sense to discuss the brush stroke and the colours of an old dutch master with a blind man or trying to explain the basics of quantum physics to a gardener whilst he trims a bush :o

:D I just spent the last couple of minutes thinking about my collectibles.........Hmmm, it appears that I have none. You are correct sir. I have no class and no appreciation for the finer things in life. It would probably depress you if I told you I think one of the finest things in life is a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey. What makes it even more special is the fact that I rarely get to the Laos border and when I do I can only get two bottles. Unfortunately they DON'T have Crown Royal.

I do have a painting that I like. I bought it in Chiang Khan. I paid 150 baht for it and it is a great painting. I also have two genuine Crescent wrenches and two genuine Channel Lock pliers not to mention my genuine Craftsman socket sets in metric and inches. SEE! Maybe I do have some class after all.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont care what you think......... just pointing out a fact SIR. :D

you did not present a fact but your own biased personal opinion. moreover, if you had the money you would most probably live in a bigger house.

Naam,

you'll have to excuse very young posters. :o

I question if the people that are knocking metal frame houses have ever been into one. You cannot tell them from a wooden frame house once they are finished and have many definite advantages over wood, termites don't eat them, they don't burn and they are stronger than wood. They are also more expensive than the wood equivalent.

If you have or want nothing the size of the house most likely dosen't mean much, and less for you to clean as you probably don't have a house keeper. The space is just as much for the belongings you own and enjoy as for the people who live there. If you have nothing this may be a hard concept to comprehend. But why should anyone object to how people spend their money. They earned it so they certainly have the right to enjoy it however they like. If you want to own and enjoy nice things that is great, if you want to spend your money on booze, go for it, it's your money.

You can live in a metal frame house a concrete house or a mud shack. It is your call but don't get upset because someone has something nicer than you. Perhaps he/she worked harder and smarter than you did or was luckier. But this crap about living good upsets the locals is really hard to swallow. If you want to live like a local go for it but don't expect everyone else to.

Well I feel much better after that little rant. Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...

Ok, It has been a long time. But I just got an internet connection. Gprs <edge> But will do for now. As for the house it is about 99% complete just some small touchups to do. I will upload some pics to show the progress.

Third and finally, I can see absolutely no reason to have a huge house. What purpose does it serve?

it makes some people feel less claustrophobic and it ensures that the maid is not too bored :D other people like to walk around in their "huge" (whatever "huge" means) houses just to enjoy the things they have collected over decades such as oriental rugs, sculptures, antique furniture, paintings and chandeliers. sometimes they get a magnifying glass and study for 10-15 minutes a tiny miniature painted on ivory which hangs on the wall, once in a while they open a drawer of an age old secretary and admire the craftsmanship a joiner has used 1½ or 2 centuries ago assembling it without using any metal fastener and wonder why still it's rock solid...

of course i could list another dozen reasons but it doesn't make sense to discuss the brush stroke and the colours of an old dutch master with a blind man or trying to explain the basics of quantum physics to a gardener whilst he trims a bush :o

:D I just spent the last couple of minutes thinking about my collectibles.........Hmmm, it appears that I have none. You are correct sir. I have no class and no appreciation for the finer things in life. It would probably depress you if I told you I think one of the finest things in life is a bottle of Canadian Club whiskey. What makes it even more special is the fact that I rarely get to the Laos border and when I do I can only get two bottles. Unfortunately they DON'T have Crown Royal.

I do have a painting that I like. I bought it in Chiang Khan. I paid 150 baht for it and it is a great painting. I also have two genuine Crescent wrenches and two genuine Channel Lock pliers not to mention my genuine Craftsman socket sets in metric and inches. SEE! Maybe I do have some class after all.

Gary, it does not matter whether you own collectibles or not and it does not depress me when you mention the finest thing in life is Canadian Club although (if whiskEy) i prefer a mild and smooth Jack Daniels (room temperature, no ice). WHAT MATTERS is that we live a content (if not happy) life! that life can be led in a thatched hut with clay floor or in a mansion with marble.

money and collectibles do not guarantee happiness! in my opinion our partners provide happiness (even though sometimes we feel like kicking ass) :D

Unfortunately it is posts such as this that deter some members from posting photos of their new home construction. I just completed my little bungalow up-country but have decided not to post any pictures, rather than have somebody belittle it.

I don't have a 200 year old secretary to admire so there is little sense in posting photos. Nobody wants to see the card playing dogs painted on velvet anyway.

My home is certainly not the biggest so why try to show it off. In fact it is really only a slightly larger version of my Pattaya home.

Yes, it is too bad that posters get deterred by people who feel the need to criticise. Either of the "your house is too big and ostentatious" variety or the "what, you live in a shed!" type.

Something for everyone to remember when posting: everybody has their own tastes and own style and until someone appoints you editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine, then you are not the arbiter of taste for Thai Visa.

Show a little compassion, common sense and courtesy when posting regarding other people's houses (or lives for that matter).

Yes, it is too bad that posters get deterred by people who feel the need to criticise. Either of the "your house is too big and ostentatious" variety or the "what, you live in a shed!" type.

Something for everyone to remember when posting: everybody has their own tastes and own style and until someone appoints you editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine, then you are not the arbiter of taste for Thai Visa.

Show a little compassion, common sense and courtesy when posting regarding other people's houses (or lives for that matter).

For once, I agree with you madam, it's a pity Yorkman wasn't sent a warning early on in this topic.

Most retirees are building on a budget. Let's see some more pics and building stories from members. :o

If you want to build an expensive mansion in an unstable country, then, bully for you and good luck. :D

whats ostentatious???

Former communist dictator Nicoale Ceausescu, built palaces that were ostentatious.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This os·ten·ta·tious thinsp.png // thinsp.pngtɛnˈteɪthinsp.pngʃəs, -tən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation</SPAN>[os-ten-tey-shuhthinsp.pngs, -tuhthinsp.pngn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation </SPAN>–adjective 1.characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious house. 2.(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice.

:o

Gary, it does not matter whether you own collectibles or not and it does not depress me when you mention the finest thing in life is Canadian Club although (if whiskEy) i prefer a mild and smooth Jack Daniels (room temperature, no ice).

Yuk!! And there was me thinking you may have had some class!! :o

Former communist dictator Nicoale Ceausescu, built palaces that were ostentatious.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This os·ten·ta·tious thinsp.png // thinsp.pngtɛnˈteɪthinsp.pngʃəs, -tən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation</SPAN>[os-ten-tey-shuhthinsp.pngs, -tuhthinsp.pngn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation </SPAN>–adjective 1.characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious house. 2.(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice.

:o

sorry gunga, i was being facetious.you sad din

Unfortunately it is posts such as this that deter some members from posting photos of their new home construction. I just completed my little bungalow up-country but have decided not to post any pictures, rather than have somebody belittle it.

I don't have a 200 year old secretary to admire so there is little sense in posting photos. Nobody wants to see the card playing dogs painted on velvet anyway.

My home is certainly not the biggest so why try to show it off. In fact it is really only a slightly larger version of my Pattaya home.

Howdy chuckd,

I have no problem posting a photo of our family home.The first one is the wifes old home.The second one is of the new family home that we built.We tore down the old home and used some of the metal and wood to enlarge the parents original home that is the third photo.

post-14263-1207689504_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1207689522_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1207689987_thumb.jpg

blue eyes:

Hopefully nobody will say you were a cheap charlie or some other snide remark.

Looks like a nice place you have built and a decided improvement to the parent's abode.

If I feel like it perhaps I will post a pic or two later. We will see.

Howdy chuckd,

I have no problem posting a photo of our family home.The first one is the wifes old home.The second one is of the new family home that we built.We tore down the old home and used some of the metal and wood to enlarge the parents original home that is the third photo.

I think the second picture is a great house. I really like houses on stilts. Unfortunately my wife prefers her single level house built on a slab. She thinks houses on stilts are too old fashioned. I'd also love to have a wooden house but since it would have to be ground level, that is out of the question. The local termites have voracious appetites,

Howdy everyone,GungaDin, There are no mesh vents in the floor, if we did it would keep OUT the mosqitos. :D chuckd,That's ok they do not know me at all and besides we spend our small fortune on traveling, our family,kids,charity and other things of importance to us. Gary A If you look under and behind the home to the left you will see a very small roof.I asked my wife why she wanted that built and she told me it was for the termites to live in so they will leave our home alone becuase they will be happy. :o Go figure that one out.Oh I have a photo of it here.

post-14263-1207771943_thumb.jpg

Gary, it does not matter whether you own collectibles or not and it does not depress me when you mention the finest thing in life is Canadian Club although (if whiskEy) i prefer a mild and smooth Jack Daniels (room temperature, no ice).

nobody is perfect :D

of course i could list another dozen reasons but it doesn't make sense to discuss the brush stroke and the colours of an old dutch master with a blind man or trying to explain the basics of quantum physics to a gardener whilst he trims a bush :D

you seem to have problems reading! :o here's the last sentence of my factual posting:

quote: WHAT MATTERS is that we live a content (if not happy) life! that life can be led in a thatched hut with clay floor or in a mansion with marble

Oh chuckd here is another photo. It shows the family home and her parents origanl home.Guess where everyone likes to hang out all day. :o

My guess would be the termite house? :D

Seriously, a lovely place you have.

I dont care what you think......... just pointing out a fact SIR. :o

you did not present a fact but your own biased personal opinion. moreover, if you had the money you would most probably live in a bigger house.

Naam:

Thanks for the duck and cover answer. I quoted the post I wanted to quote to show your apparant disdain for others.

I could have quoted this one as well...."moreover, if you had the money you would most probably live in a bigger house."

Nice touch of class with that one!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

I am looking at building a house but not sure on the following please can any of you help in providing any information

Please recommend a location I am looking for a large beachfront property

Any advice on environmental considerations as I don’t want the house to be flooded.

A house builder who can do traditional block work as appose to steel or timber frame.

I own and run a internet business how easy is it to get high speed broadband to the plot of land

Any costs per square meter for land and build costs.

Any other information you may consider to be helpful.

many thanks to anyone who can provide any information

Oh chuckd here is another photo. It shows the family home and her parents origanl home.Guess where everyone likes to hang out all day. :D

The in-laws look extremely close - I can see why you spend your small fortune on travelling... :o

Hi guys I am looking at building a house but not sure on the following please can any of you help in providing any information. Please recommend a location I am looking for a large beachfront property. Any advice on environmental considerations as I don’t want the house to be flooded. A house builder who can do traditional block work as appose to steel or timber frame. I own and run a internet business how easy is it to get high speed broadband to the plot of land. Any costs per square meter for land and build costs.

Any other information you may consider to be helpful. Many thanks to anyone who can provide any information

Solent, posting your query on the Issan Forum is unlikely to find many 'beachfront' properties. To the best of my knowledge, the nearest beach to the Issan heartland is some 500+ kilometres away. We have plenty of paddy fields and a few rivers but as to sand and sea - no. Seriously, you would be better off looking at the Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin Forums (all on the coast and popular tourist spots) than up-country in the North-East of Thailand. Also, you are more likely to find high-speed broadband connections close to or within these popular tourist spots.

I prefer Seagrams VO myself but i have never found it here in thailand.

As for my house it is a 120 m2 shed with a 110 m2 covered porch but it only cost me 450,000 baht to build. Yes i would have a bigger house if i could afford it. I would like to add a pool and a rec room for the kids and another room to show my collectibles but such is life.

Since Yorkman spouts off the price of 2,000 baht per m2 so many times i would like to have the number to his builder that can build for this price. I would like to add onto my house if it can be done for that price.

I asked my wife why she wanted that built and she told me it was for the termites to live in so they will leave our home alone becuase they will be happy. :o Go figure that one out.Oh I have a photo of it here.

That sounds like something my wife would say.

Hey BE.

I love your new home.

It's just the way I'd like mine.

I've been a little spoilt when it comes to the number of rooms.

I need a room dedicated to the practice of meditation and contemplation as well as the regular home activities.

Also, in my old age, I like a little insulation from boisterous children.

Can I ask contributors to this thread to bury the hatchett if they have displayed any heated difference of opinion?

Nothing worse than others withholding posts of their own homes for fear of being critisized.

From tiny bungalow to rambling mansion they all have their merit and I love them all.

Viva variety.