Yellow Tabien Bahn

• 1 month later...

Greetings, and Happy New Year to you all.

Over the past couple of months i have been gathering the documents required to submit with the application for a Yellow Tambien Baan. They are:

Copy of passport & certified translation (of main page).

Copy & certified translation of my birth certificate.

Certified copy of my marriage certificate.

Copy of my retirement visa.

Letter from Embassy (UK)+ certified translation.

Copy of Thai driving licence (car & motorbike).

Copy of wife's ID

Copy of wife' blue Tambien Baan...every page.

Family photograph.

6X photos of myself.

My wife had previously (late Nov) called into the Amphur office....(Prachon Chai...Buriram).....and spoke to the chap at the front desk. He was aware of the existance of the Yellow Tambien Baan...and wrote a list of the requirements for me.

My wife and I went to the Amphur on Jan 3rd to submit my application. Prior to going, my wife called and spoke to the head man in the Amphur....to make sure that he was available. It was very crowded and the chap on the front desk gave us a ticket to go straight through to the head honcho's office at the back. Well........this guy did not want to know a thing. He was hostile from the very start. He claimed to know nothing about the Yellow Tambien Baan. ....and sent us out ...to wait.

So wait we did.....and 2 hours later we were called to this chap's office again. There was no change in his attitude and I could see that no amount of pleasantrys and fact producing on my wifes part was going to change things. He asked why I wanted the Tambien Baan.....and then said that my passpoet was good enough for me.....being farang. We left empty handed. At no time was my wife or I discourteous to anybody.

My questions are: What is my next best approach? The Amphur in Buriram town ?

Does my application have to be submitted in the Amphur where my house is?

I look forward to any replies,

Regards.......Off road

sorry to hear that you came across a moron such as this.

Here is a picture of one in this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...2&hl=yellow. Officially, they are called a Tor. Ror 13 (see top right hand corner.

take it to show him. He probably wants a bribe from you. Bloody hill billies.

If he wants to know why you want one, tell him you need it as an offical Thai ID to show you have residency in Thailand, to open bank accounts etc etc, and that it is needed for applying for Thai citizenship which you hope to apply for one day.

I had mine issued at the Banglamung Amphur in Chonburi.

From memory the list is pretty much as you have described.

I did have a problem because the Thai version of my name on the Thai marriage certificate was different to that on other documents, and I had to send the stuff back to Bangkok to get it re translated and certified.

It took a while and several visits , but we got there in the end, and I do not recall any animosity on the part of the officials.

My guess is that your guy either can't be bothered, doesn't know what to do, is anti farang, wants some "inducement" or a combination of some or all of the foregoing.

Good luck. :o

Hello,

Many thanks for your prompt replys.

I have printed out the pic of the front cover of the Yellow Tambien Baan to add to my file.

My wife did mention to the guy in Prachon Chai that a neighbour in "my" village already was in posession of a Yellow Tambien Baan. This he had when he had a condo in Pattaya.....issued in Banglamung......and then transferred to his house when he sold the condo. The guy in the Amphur even suggested to my wife to go and apply in Banglamung .....and get this.....to lie to get this document.

At no time was there any suggestion of him putting his hand out. He just simply was not going to do it....it was too much trouble...and he told my wife to come back in October!

Regards, Off road

Regards.......Off road

Yo there Off Road,

I am the guy that Off Road refers to in his village who came from Banglamung.

From my experience Off Road.............yes you have to apply for the book in the Amphur, or possibly Changwat, where your home is. The reason I am pretty certain on this is that when I moved home from Banglamung Office to Buriram, well I actually saw the head of Banglamung Office about changing my address. Obviously in Chonburi they are much more familiar in dealing in such matters. She explained to me, in rather good English as well, that I would have to go to Buriram amphur to change my address. She did however give me a letter from her office explaining that I had left the address in Banglamung and also placed a red stamp in my exisiting yellow book.

When I went to the Prakhon Chai office and saw the head honcho there, don't know if it was the same one now, as this was 2006, I produced my yellow book and the letter from the Banglamung office. It was obvious that he was unsure of what to do and rang the head of Banglamung office for instructions etc, via the number on my accompanying letter from there. However..................on receiving those instructions he explained to my wife that the red stamp in the book actually cancels that one and I would be issued with a new one....................he turns around and pulls a new yellow book out of the filing cabinet drawer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore my guess is that you caught this guy on a bad day.

I would suggest you drive up to Buriram city and try the amphur there Off Road, the most they are going to do is re-direct you back to Prakhon Chai.........but you may get lucky.............I hope so...........take care..... :o

Regards.......Off road

Yo there Off Road,

I am the guy that Off Road refers to in his village who came from Banglamung.

From my experience Off Road.............yes you have to apply for the book in the Amphur, or possibly Changwat, where your home is. The reason I am pretty certain on this is that when I moved home from Banglamung Office to Buriram, well I actually saw the head of Banglamung Office about changing my address. Obviously in Chonburi they are much more familiar in dealing in such matters. She explained to me, in rather good English as well, that I would have to go to Buriram amphur to change my address. She did however give me a letter from her office explaining that I had left the address in Banglamung and also placed a red stamp in my exisiting yellow book.

When I went to the Prakhon Chai office and saw the head honcho there, don't know if it was the same one now, as this was 2006, I produced my yellow book and the letter from the Banglamung office. It was obvious that he was unsure of what to do and rang the head of Banglamung office for instructions etc, via the number on my accompanying letter from there. However..................on receiving those instructions he explained to my wife that the red stamp in the book actually cancels that one and I would be issued with a new one....................he turns around and pulls a new yellow book out of the filing cabinet drawer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore my guess is that you caught this guy on a bad day.

I would suggest you drive up to Buriram city and try the amphur there Off Road, the most they are going to do is re-direct you back to Prakhon Chai.........but you may get lucky.............I hope so...........take care..... :o

Thank you for all of this info Mr Ban!

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally got DH to go in with me to get a yellow tabien ban.

I don't know if Koh Phangan is fairly easy (he had a book full of yellow tabien ban applications) or if it was just because my husband knew the man doing the processing.

We needed to provide: marriage license (we were married in Thailand so the Thai language license was not a problem), copy of my passport, copy of his tabien ban and id card, and my husband wrote my name, my parents names and address in the US down in Thai. No witnesses, no translations of anything. Took about 15 minutes and cost 10 baht :o

Well several have gotten them in Udon, with no problems to speak of and no tea money the fee is 200 baht. I understand there may have been ome changes in proceedure a to requiring a letter from the Amphur to immigrations to get a letter from them. But that is just rumor. I'm going in next week to check on that and start my process. I will try to post my findings when I have checked on it, if I remember :o

Did my first day on mine today, supposed to pick up tommorow. Went smooth but he had beer for lunch and talked me to death for two hours.

No letter from immigration asked for. No tea money thus far.

Yes a renter can get the book all it really means is that you live at a certain location, but it helps with registering vehicles obtaining licences getting utililities in your name

So if I own a house on a company name, I can also apply for the yellow tambien ban? If, one needs proof of residence from the embassy...what is it exactly they are asking for? I am trying to establish a yellow tambien baan to proove to my embassy I live here.....The administrative run around is in effect once again!

The answer is yes, But a renter has to have the homeowner sign for him. How that would be accomplished with a business owning your home I'm not sure. You are going to have to figure out the mechanics of how to get that accomplished. If you have notoced in this tread different places are easier then others. So I would think the first step for you would be to contact your Mobaan find what they want you to do. Smile jump through the hoops only have to do it once. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been going through the dispiriting process of applying for a Yellow Book initially because our local immigration office quit issuing the Certificate of Residence neccessary for registering a car or getting a driving license and the UK Consulate charges an outrageous 2000 baht plus for the same (unproven) bit of paper.

I don't know how (or if it's possible) to post to two forums but contibutors to this thread might like to follow my current adventures in this northern outpost of Thailands bureaucratic Purgatory. Here's the link: Fear & Loathing on the Yellow Book Trail

Edited by Greenside

• 1 month later...

Funny how different experinces can be in accomplishing things here. Got mine about six months ago, did the reearch provided the proper doucments and brought the witness on the first trip issued the next day. With very little problems at all. But that was Udon.

• 2 months later...

I need to move my yellow Tabien ban to my brother-in-law's house in Bangkok, does anyone have any experience moving a yellow tabien ban and what I need to do so? I need to go into my local amphur and inform them and then go to the amphur office in Bangkok at my brother-in-laws. Will I need any other documentation other than the fact that I already had one here?

• 4 weeks later...
I've been going through the dispiriting process of applying for a Yellow Book initially because our local immigration office quit issuing the Certificate of Residence neccessary for registering a car or getting a driving license and the UK Consulate charges an outrageous 2000 baht plus for the same (unproven) bit of paper.

I don't know how (or if it's possible) to post to two forums but contibutors to this thread might like to follow my current adventures in this northern outpost of Thailands bureaucratic Purgatory. Here's the link: Fear & Loathing on the Yellow Book Trail

Finally got mine after jumping through hoops and, believe it or not, being asked to get a blood test! The fuller story is in the thread quoted above.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my Yellow Book story which resulted in me getting my Yellow Book today.

Turned out to be a pretty fast and painless process here in Bangkok (at least in my particular situation). Basically, forms-wise the government office needed:

- A copy of my passport's main pages (i.e., the first few pages)

- A copy of my passport's page showing the O-A Retirement Visa

- A copy of the wife's Thai ID Card

- A copy of the wife's Blue Book/Tambien Baan

- A copy of our Thai marriage license

- Two photo's 1 inch by 1 inch in size (got them at Lotus with graphics added suit & tie)

- One form which provided my basic info (name, date of birth, etc) to include my mother's and father's names (the wife and her friend completed the form in Thai for me)

- The government official completed another form

The government official then spent about 45 minutes checking/comparing the document copies to the originals, writing addition info on the form we completed, and completing another form. I think we were suppose to complete this second form, but he completed it for us from info on above mentioned document copies. He also free-hand wrote quite bit of data on the bottom third of both forms like passport number, marriage license number, and other data. I think the additional data/info he wrote was needed to support issue of a Yellow Book. He had my wife and a witness (a friend who accompanied us) sign one of the form's to attest my residence was indeed in Thailand. One of my pictures went on the form we completed and the other picture went into a log book. The wife and I were then sent with a half inch width worth of documents and the log book to his supervisor. His supervisor asked me a few questions like why I was retiring in Thailand, what was my previous job/career, etc. This interview took about 5 minutes. The supervisor coordinated-off/approved the paperwork and we were sent back to the first government official. This official then took the approved paperwork and then spent about 15 minutes at the computer which generated by Yellow Book. The whole process took approx one hour and 15 minutes and was accomplished in a professional manner.

Note: your Yellow Book application experience may not be the same.

Yellow book just shows proof of the registered address in Thailand. It can be issued to anyone living in Thailand – but at many places it is now getting more difficult to get. You do not need to own a property to get it but if you rent it requires the acceptance of the landlord.

The blue book shows the owner of the unit (house or condo) as well as all Thai people registered as living in the property. Farangs are not allowed to be specified in the blue book.

A farang condominium owner can get a blue book stating he is the owner of the property but he is not entitled to be registered in the blue book as living in the property. Hereby the farang needs a yellow book anyway if he needs "proof of address".

The above is how it is supposed to be but there are plenty of "unofficial" exceptions as always in LOS.

No more comments from me on this topic as all information easily can be found to anyone following sbk´s advice.

Thanks that really clarified things for me - Basically the yellow book is a form of ID and has nothing to do with property ownership. It is just proof of address. All is now clear.

You should have two other documents on Thai legal sized paper (odd sized paper). These should also help you.

This may help - this is not a property ownership issue at all - this is proof of address that is it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went the the Phuket amphur to find out what THEIR requirements are. They told me the essential is a translation of my passport - which must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - in Bangkok!!

So much for a simple easy free process.

I went the the Phuket amphur to find out what THEIR requirements are. They told me the essential is a translation of my passport - which must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - in Bangkok!!

As typical for different areas/provinces/amphurs/khets/etc within Thailand, standardization/procedures seem to vary slightly...and a lot depends on the person taking your application that day. But at least you now know what the Puhket amphur wants. Either get the certified copy, or maybe go back in a few weeks with the same paperwork and maybe you get a more agreeable official. Of course if you had my luck, you would get the same person again!

• 2 months later...
Greetings, and Happy New Year to you all.

Over the past couple of months i have been gathering the documents required to submit with the application for a Yellow Tambien Baan. They are:

Copy of passport & certified translation (of main page).

Copy & certified translation of my birth certificate.

Certified copy of my marriage certificate.

Copy of my retirement visa.

Letter from Embassy (UK)+ certified translation.

Copy of Thai driving licence (car & motorbike).

Copy of wife's ID

Copy of wife' blue Tambien Baan...every page.

Family photograph.

6X photos of myself.

My wife had previously (late Nov) called into the Amphur office....(Prachon Chai...Buriram).....and spoke to the chap at the front desk. He was aware of the existance of the Yellow Tambien Baan...and wrote a list of the requirements for me.

My wife and I went to the Amphur on Jan 3rd to submit my application. Prior to going, my wife called and spoke to the head man in the Amphur....to make sure that he was available. It was very crowded and the chap on the front desk gave us a ticket to go straight through to the head honcho's office at the back. Well........this guy did not want to know a thing. He was hostile from the very start. He claimed to know nothing about the Yellow Tambien Baan. ....and sent us out ...to wait.

So wait we did.....and 2 hours later we were called to this chap's office again. There was no change in his attitude and I could see that no amount of pleasantrys and fact producing on my wifes part was going to change things. He asked why I wanted the Tambien Baan.....and then said that my passpoet was good enough for me.....being farang. We left empty handed. At no time was my wife or I discourteous to anybody.

Regards.......Off road

Guys,

I,m sorry if I'm in the wrong place / forum for this but I'm a newbie and have a question. Ive read with interest all the talk abut Tabien Bahn yellow books etc and although I'm still a litle confused I think basically that it just proves you live in the house etc. My problem is that although I've lived in Thailand now for 5 years and am married with a son I work in laos. That means that I only enter every month as I work 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I therefore enter as a tourist at the moment although when the dreadful GBP to THB rates improve I will bring some money over and get the married visa.

Ok so as I live out the yellow book is not an option for now but my question is:

I have recently built a house which is obviously in my wifes sole name. Ive played this a little cautiosly as although I could have paid for it outright we took out a mortgage in my wifes name so my liability is managed. My concern is what if somthing happened to my wife? The house would be paid for from the insurance, the house would presumeably go to my son. All seems ok but how do I stand legaly? Could the family come in and claim guardianship and therfore the house?

What can I do legally to protect myself on this. Can I legally make myself my son's guardian now and place the house in his name?

It's not that I have any more doubts than the next man but we have all seen and heard horror stories. Any advice would be much appreciated

I think what yuo need is a usufruct ( Spelling) agreement or 30 year lease. You can lease and not be living in it.

you need to speak to an attorney.

I think if you check the other parts of the forum that have to do with Real Estate yuo will find what you need

QUOTE (Farang99 @ 2008-11-04 10:46:08) post_snapback.gifI went the the Phuket amphur to find out what THEIR requirements are. They told me the essential is a translation of my passport - which must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - in Bangkok!!

hua hin also require lots of certified and notarised translations. i enquired today about getting a yellow book.

passport , copies of relevent pages of passport certified by the embassy.

those copied pages must then be translated into thai , along with the visa page , these translations must then be notarised and the whole lot sent off to the ministry of foreign affairs in bangkok for certification.

a notarised translation of parents names are also required.

the companies that do the notarised translations will send everything off to the ministry in bangkok for certification.

the notarised , translated and certified documents are then taken to the tessaban office and the yellow book will be issued.

i will start the process as soon as i have completed my course in advanced hoop jumping.

QUOTE (Farang99 @ 2008-11-04 10:46:08) post_snapback.gifI went the the Phuket amphur to find out what THEIR requirements are. They told me the essential is a translation of my passport - which must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - in Bangkok!!

hua hin also require lots of certified and notarised translations. i enquired today about getting a yellow book.

passport , copies of relevent pages of passport certified by the embassy.

those copied pages must then be translated into thai , along with the visa page , these translations must then be notarised and the whole lot sent off to the ministry of foreign affairs in bangkok for certification.

a notarised translation of parents names are also required.

the companies that do the notarised translations will send everything off to the ministry in bangkok for certification.

the notarised , translated and certified documents are then taken to the tessaban office and the yellow book will be issued.

i will start the process as soon as i have completed my course in advanced hoop jumping.

If Hua Hin amphur are anything like their cousins in Phuket I suspect it might require not only advanced hoop jumping but under table sleight of hand.

I decided not to bother!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I finally got DH to go in with me to get a yellow tabien ban.

I don't know if Koh Phangan is fairly easy (he had a book full of yellow tabien ban applications) or if it was just because my husband knew the man doing the processing.

We needed to provide: marriage license (we were married in Thailand so the Thai language license was not a problem), copy of my passport, copy of his tabien ban and id card, and my husband wrote my name, my parents names and address in the US down in Thai. No witnesses, no translations of anything. Took about 15 minutes and cost 10 baht :o

I too had a very similar experience on Koh Phangan a couple of years ago. No problems. One strange thing did happen, and that was the clerk wrote up a contract on note paper between me and my wife in Thai, basically I had to promise that i would be a good bloke, not get very drunk, would always respect the house (even though it's mine) and not play around with other women. I'm serious. I think I have a copy of this still, if i can find it I'll post it.

I don't know of anyone who's had any problems on KPG getting the yellow book. I know of several foreign 'controlled' companies that leese land and houses back to foreign directors who also have yellow books and no Thai spouses are involved.

• 1 month later...

I went to Khet Khlong Toei today to get my yellow book today but I was informed by the supervisor that I needed a work permit or married to a Thai National to get the yellow book. I own my condo and from what I read on the TV that was all I needed it. Was I wrong?