Yellow Tabien Bahn

• 1 month later...
I am aware of a few members here that needed to grease the wheels a bit to get it done, around 2,000 Baht to the Tea Fund would do the trick.

No problem, where we live (Chiang Dao). No cost for the yellow tabien baan at all. It's one of the few things, that are free in Thailand. If you're gonna' "tip"somebody, do it discreetly and 500 Baht should be plenty for most things that are legal. You can get it without "tea money", but they might make it a little harder for you, in places, where they have come to expect it.

The official we got, was nice enough to do it without the translations. He said that they are required, but somebody in his office was able to read English and assured him, that the papers said, what we told him, they did. He also made a phone call to the Canadian Embassy, to confirm my Proof of Residence from there, but again, everything was done quickly and efficiently, without any hint, that he wanted money

Like someone mentioned already, they have a book at the office, that states everything you need to have, before you can apply for the yellow tabien baan.

I use mine all the time, to pay Thai prices, where my Thai drivers license isn't good enough anymore. Most places, my Thai drivers license still works, but I would not want to be without my Tabien Baan anymore. I have used it as proof of residence many times (to get new drivers license, etc.) and also to open a bank account in my name at the credit union, because you need to have a Tabien Baan number to open an account there.

OK quick question. My wife and I are currently renting an apartment in Bangkok, she is still registered on her parents Tabien Bahn up in Khon Kaen where we spend most of our time. Would I be able to get a Yellow Tabien Bahn even though my wife doesn't have her own, ie. use her parents one?

OK quick question. My wife and I are currently renting an apartment in Bangkok, she is still registered on her parents Tabien Bahn up in Khon Kaen where we spend most of our time. Would I be able to get a Yellow Tabien Bahn even though my wife doesn't have her own, ie. use her parents one?

If the landlord/lady agrees,shouldn't be a problem. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking through old posts about the famous yellow book and still confused :)

My expat friends, both british have recently got their yellow book. They were told at the issueing office by the head lady that the husband is on page 1 as the owner of the house, and his wife is on page 2 because they lease the land.

Is this correct information, because i told them that the yellow book is just an address book to say you live at that address and nothing to do with ownership or leasing of land.

Can somebody in the know please confirm, is it a house ownership book or just an address book to say where you live?

Many thanks

Boycie.

Oh, luck me I got my Yellow Book about six years ago no Hassles, Passport., visa. Thai drivers licenses, marriage license, also at that TIME I need a Government Official(C-7 or above) to sign for me, in my case it was a Thai Ltcol Army(type) (Doctor) that I had know for some 14 years. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I finally got DH to go in with me to get a yellow tabien ban.

I don't know if Koh Phangan is fairly easy (he had a book full of yellow tabien ban applications) or if it was just because my husband knew the man doing the processing.

We needed to provide: marriage license (we were married in Thailand so the Thai language license was not a problem), copy of my passport, copy of his tabien ban and id card, and my husband wrote my name, my parents names and address in the US down in Thai. No witnesses, no translations of anything. Took about 15 minutes and cost 10 baht :)

I too had a very similar experience on Koh Phangan a couple of years ago. No problems. One strange thing did happen, and that was the clerk wrote up a contract on note paper between me and my wife in Thai, basically I had to promise that i would be a good bloke, not get very drunk, would always respect the house (even though it's mine) and not play around with other women. I'm serious. I think I have a copy of this still, if i can find it I'll post it.

I don't know of anyone who's had any problems on KPG getting the yellow book. I know of several foreign 'controlled' companies that leese land and houses back to foreign directors who also have yellow books and no Thai spouses are involved.

I had exactly the same experience yesterday getting my Yellow TB. It was extremely easy if somewhat long winded about just over an hour. No translations of anything required, she asked my parents name and my wife wrote it down in Thai for her with no certification form anyone. Copies of my passport, wifes id and her brother came as a witness. it was so straightforward I almost fainted!! Im off Monday to get the 1 year driving licence WITHOUT a letter form the UK embassy stating my address and using the Tabien bahn a s proof of residence etc even though I am NOT a resident I only come every 5 months and stay for 3 months twice a year. If i succeed with this Ill post it up as this mean anyone with a TB does not need the ridiculously over priced Uk embassy letter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to the Amphur Chiang Rai on Monday , the G/F filled in some paperwork for me and I had to make copies of my passport and visa(double entry tourist) and copies of the Blue Tabian Bann , in her name of course but my property.

Then went to 4 different sections in the office for the paperwork to be read, something added on the Pc and evetually to the senior officer to sign. The paperwork was put in an envelope and I was told to take to Immigration in Mae Sai. I was in the office for about 45 minutes .

Taking the paperwork to Mai Sai , the immigration officer was polite , told me I needed a copy done of my entry card to Thailand. Having done that I handed the signed photocopy (everything must be signed by YOU) and then was told , Please come back for collection in TEN DAYS.

Not sure why it takes 10 days but I am not going to complain , im not even sure I will get the yellow book considering I only have a tourist visa . I will let you know the outcome. Worth trying - what ever it is for .

Most posters on this (very useful) thread seem to be married. I'm single, own my condo in Phra Khanong (Bangkok) and have a work permit. What do I need to take to get the Yellow Tabien Bahn?

Presumably: passport (copied), work permit, ownership document for my condo. Anything else?

Can I do this at the Amphur for Phra Khanong (anyone know where it is?) without assistance from a Thai speaker/reader/writer?

Cheers

Most posters on this (very useful) thread seem to be married. I'm single, own my condo in Phra Khanong (Bangkok) and have a work permit. What do I need to take to get the Yellow Tabien Bahn?

Presumably: passport (copied), work permit, ownership document for my condo. Anything else?

Can I do this at the Amphur for Phra Khanong (anyone know where it is?) without assistance from a Thai speaker/reader/writer?

Cheers

Khet Prakhanong Registration Office

1792 Sukhumvit Soi 54,

Kwang, Bangjak, Bangkok 10250

Tel: 0-2311-1107

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine this week in Lopburi, and was fairly painless and straightforward.

Inquired at the amphur when we did my youngest daughter's birth certificate, and was pleasantly surprised when the staff knew what we were talking about and also exactly what we needed. In addition to the basic paperwork, it was important that I have some sort of official documentation (preferably from my embassy) which included my parent's names and my U.S. address.

While I didn't have exactly what they were looking for, I took in what I did have to see if it would be ok and save me the time and trouble of going to the embassy. And they were happy with what I gave them. They got one copy of each of the following:

* my husband's Thai ID

* name page from my passport (in English, not translated)

* Thai marriage certificate (just a copy, nothing official/certified)

* my birth certificate (in English, not translated)

* Marriage Affadavit from U.S.Embassy (this was a copy of both the original English & Thai translation of the document we used to register our marriage. It was several years old and included my maiden name, but did have my U.S. address on it)

We went on a Saturday morning and the staff knew of what I was talking about, but hadn't actually done one. So they called the lady who did know what was up, spent some time finding the right forms, and took care of things.

In addition to submitting the paperwork listed above, I also had to submit 1 photo of myself, fill in a simple form with my name, parent's names, address in Thailand, birthday and such, gave them our blue tabien baan (which they copied by themselves), and they interviewed my husband. The interview took the longest only because the guy was typing it up as he went along and that took time. They had pulled the paperwork from another foreigner's application and were just typing up the same thing they did for him and adding my information. Interview was just a handful of questions like "Do you swear this woman is who she says she is?" "Where do you live?" "What are your kids names?" "How long has she been in Thailand?" (just said 'about 8 years' and that was fine, although I was prepared with all of my entry and exit dates if they wanted more) "Why do you want do add her?" and that was about it.

The only snag we had was that they wanted to have the phu yai baan for our neighborhood come in and confirm everything, but we had no idea who he was. So they looked him up on their computer and pulled up his photo and we still had no idea who he was. So then they wanted to have anyone else remotely official that we knew come in. But finally as we were wrapping things up and trying to figure out who would be best to drag in they had a quick huddle after which they let us know that they didn't need to talk to any witness or corroborating official, since my husband is a fellow civil servant, so they let that slide.

They did ask that someone (could be anyone, we didn't have to go if it wasn't convenient) go back on Monday to pick up the book cause they wanted to have the lady who knew what she was doing look at everything and make sure they had done it correctly.

Husband went in on Monday and picked up the book, no problem and no charge.

Sorry, just looking back at this thread makes me wonder is there any benefit to having the yellow tabien ban?

I've had mine for a number of years and can't think of any time that I've actually used it or needed to use it, or been asked to show it. For ID I can use my passport, work permit or driving license.

It's nice to have the house cert, but I can't think of a situation where it is a requirement.

Is it a prerequsite for something?

• 2 weeks later...

It is required if you plan to apply for Thai citizenship, which is my long-term goal.

In general, I anticipate it making things a bit easier for me since I do not live near either an immigraiton office or my embassy. So, in addition to the citizenship requirement, also plan to use it to get my driver's license and renew my status as a board member with a Thai charitable foundation.

If you're not going for citizenship and don't mind getting address certification from immigation/embassy, then may be more of an optional thing. All depends on your specific circumstance, I think.

<br />
<br /><br />It is required if you plan to apply for Thai citizenship, which is my long-term goal. <br /><br />In general, I anticipate it making things a bit easier for me since I do not live near either an immigraiton office or my embassy. So, in addition to the citizenship requirement, also plan to use it to get my driver's license and renew my status as a board member with a Thai charitable foundation. <br /><br />If you're not going for citizenship and don't mind getting address certification from immigation/embassy, then may be more of an optional thing. All depends on your specific circumstance, I think.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

From memory the driving centre required a letter from immigration when I applied. But that was up country where a yellow tabien ban was almost unheard of.

• 1 month later...

It seems that one of the requirements to obtain this Yellow Book, is to have been in Thailand for 3 years on a row, on this ground i have been denied one from the chief of the local amphur, can anyone confirm on this particular requirement and if there is anything that can be done about it at all? Thanks

Don't think the 3 year requirement is valid. I got my Yellow Book within 30 days of moving to Thailand...after being in Thailand for about a month the wife and I went to the locat khet/district office to apply for a Yellow Book....quite a few standard questions were asked during submission of the application paperwork/interview and the government official seemed to write a lot of remarks on the application paperwork...but, when the dust settled, it took about one hour from application submission to Yellow Book issue/in-hand....I live/applied for the Yellow Book in Bangkok. Now, I'm married to a Thai and was on a Non Immigrant O-A Retirement Visa at time of application...I'm, now on a Retirement Extension of Stay. The Yellow Book has come in handy in buying a car, applying for certain financial things, etc. The Yellow Book has been a definite plus.

How that would be accomplished with a business owning your home I'm not sure.

I had the same question when it came to the subject of the house owner reporting

my arrival at the house, after a trip abroad.............

I reported my address on the TM card at the airport, and I am the owner, via the company,

do I need to do it again????

Discretion became the better part of valour and I did not persue the matter,

just let the wife pay the fine for not reporting my arrival........:)

• 3 weeks later...

I applied a while ago and they came to my wife's restaurant one Friday night and the Pu Yai Ban was there to do his bit as were the two friends who also signed up for me.

I supplied copies of

Wife'd ID card

Blue Tabien Ban

My passport photo and visa pages (in English)

Marriage certificate

Photos of me

Photos of the wife, son and house (not needed but I had them anyway)

Driving licence

Everything else I can think of

A week later my wife calls them and asks how it is going.

OK but..............

We need a translated copy of your husbands passport photo page and visas and also a residence certificate.

I had to do a 90 day report so I went up to Mae Sot and did that and then called the amphur people and gave the phone to the Immigration people to talk about the residence certificate and came back no wiser.

A friend of my wife's will get the translation done she says if you copy it and give it to them.

Did that and 3 weeks later still no translation.

Yesterday I snarled at my wife and told her to ask the amphur EXACTLY what they want.

When both of us had cooled down she said what they want is a translation of your passport pages and I have just remembered now (6 weeks later) the marriage certificate translated.

Next snarl from me was Do they just want a simple translation, one certified by a lawyer or one certified by the Ministry of Consular Affairs?

Just a translation was the answer.

My mate was in Bangkok and said that he would try to get it done but he has called me saying that he has no time so it looks like early on Monday morning I will be going 400 km to Bangkok and get the translations done at the corner opposite the British Embassy and come back home on Tuesday.

Then we have to go to the amphur and give it all in and THEN probably I will have to go up tp Mae Sot AGAIN to get a residence certificate, assuming that is that the amphur does not want the translations certified by the Ministry of Hobgoblins or whatever in Nakhon Nowhere.

It seems as though I am the test case as nobody has done this in Amphur Klong Lan before.

I think I will need certifying soon. :)

I got my Yellow Tabien Baan today from the Wattana District Office in Thong Lo Sukhumvit 55, Bangkok.

The process took 2 hours, which included form filling and answering questions by the officer, and a brief interview with the manager. Both staff were polite and understood the process well. Incidentally, we had made a formal meeting appointment beforehand.

The documents we provided were as follows:-

Wife's Thai ID card

Blue Tabien Baan

My passport ID and visa extension pages

My Work Permit

Marriage certificate

ID photos of me

My Thai driver's licence

I got my Yellow Tabien Baan today from the Wattana District Office in Thong Lo Sukhumvit 55, Bangkok.

The process took 2 hours, which included form filling and answering questions by the officer, and a brief interview with the manager. Both staff were polite and understood the process well. Incidentally, we had made a formal meeting appointment beforehand.

Wife's Thai ID card

Blue Tabien Baan

My Work Permit

Marriage certificate

ID photos of me

My Thai driver's licence

Different world as few people in the amphur speak, read or write English.

Thank you Pib, i can confirm that the "chief of the amphur" taked back is request for a 3 years residency, as after pestering him a bit for further information about it, he just confirmed was not needed, no further explanation given... :)

Glad some of my feedback helped. The Yellow Book does indeed come in handy (like today when renewing my driver/motorcycle licenses) as it usually prevents the need for a Certificate of Residence and gives the government office you are dealing with confirmation of your established residence in Thailand. Summary: Yellow Book absolutely needed--No; Yellow Book a definite plus and makes getting certain things done easier/faster--Yes.

Wife's Thai ID card

Blue Tabien Baan

My Work Permit

Marriage certificate

ID photos of me

My Thai driver's licence

Different world as few people in the amphur speak, read or write English.

I think the ease of my application was due to the relatively higher non-Thai population residing in Wattana District, inferring that the Amphur staff there are more familiar with the process. My meeting/interview was entirely conducted in Thai language, so the English language capability was not an issue.

Edited by mark5335

• 3 weeks later...
It seems that one of the requirements to obtain this Yellow Book, is to have been in Thailand for 3 years on a row, on this ground i have been denied one from the chief of the local amphur, can anyone confirm on this particular requirement and if there is anything that can be done about it at all? Thanks

Not true, from my post I am not even permanently here just visit for 2-3 months at a time twice a year and got one but I am married properley to a Thai.

Ive been doing this for 4 years although I do own some condos in my name and have a Non O type visa. (46 years old)

Not true on the 3 years living in Thailand.I just got my Yellow Tabien Baan in Sept 09,also at Thonglor office.Took around 2 hours total.Very friendly and did not need to translate any docs even though our marriage certificate is in english.I also have a condo in my wifes and my name.However I work outside of Thailand and only come over once a month as does my wife(she is Thai).The process was a bit like a interview althoguh low key.Sample questions like'where did you meet,how long did you date etc etc' lead me to believe they are checking that you really are married as well as questions on property etc. :)