Yellow Tabien Bahn

I recently was in the "why would I want this" camp. This past week I was denied a visa by the Nigerian embassy because I could not prove residence. Even though I had my letter from immigration, DL, motorbike license, marriage stuff, blah blah.

Strange. I guess the yellow book would have been handy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received my yellow book.

Went into the office on Monday morning for appointment, Took copies of passport details page and all other pages. Letter from Britiah embassy confirning my address and same translated into Thai. Marriage cert, wife's ID and wife's house book. Village puibann and 3 passport size photo's.

Completed forms and they also took my thumb prints, was told that the book would be ready in 1 - 2 weeks.

On Wednesday office called and said that the book is now ready to pick up.

No problems and now tea money given but we did take a gift basket for the lady.

Geordie

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few questions about the yellow house book.

What happens regarding the book if we sell the house and move out?

Recently my Thai wife got a list of what's required to get a yellow book in Pattaya, see attached.

From the list;

Item 1, says that I need a 1 year visa, but I've only got a 3 month Non-O visa at the moment. Anyone gone through the process with a 3 month visa in Pattaya / problem?

Item 2&3, How much does it cost to get Residence in Pattaya Certificate from Immigration Office and a Passport - Thai Translation guaranteed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Item 4, I have my original UK birth certificate, which I presume would be accepted, but doesn't say if copy or original. Also, where is the Institute of Translate for getting this document guaranteed Thai translated and how much?

Item 6, have 2 Thai witnesses. I haven't seen any details of others needing 2 Thai witnesses.

Would be great if I can get it all done before Songkran.

post-105888-0-80552400-1301696988_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently obtained a yellow Tabien Bahn, I give my experience below.

My status is: unmarried, living in a house with a Thai partner. The land was bought 8 years ago, and the house subsequently built on this land. I have lived in this house, as a retiree, with my partner since then.

As previously stated, every Amphur office will have different requirements of what documents to produce etc. From reading previous posts, I got off lightly. My office only required a 'Letter of Residence' from the British Consulate, with official Thai translation of this letter only. Also: copies of my passport photo page and visa page; copies of my partners blue T.B. and ID card. A date was fixed for us to attend the office, bringing with us two Thai's from the Village as witnesses. The paperwork was completed during our visit. I wrote, in English, my Mother and Fathers names and education detais for them, they translated these details for the T.B. As no English was spoken in this office, a few questions were asked me via my partner, and all was finished within an hour.

One month later I collected my T.B. at no cost.

I have just hit the wall of songkhran, but here in Bang Phli, the documents they asked for are:

translation of passport (main details page only) certified at Brit embassy and translation certified at MOFA

letter providing details of myself and parents certified at brit embassy and translation certified at MOFA

(Incidentally did both these documents at brit embassy and they were very helpful, I showed them the requirements (in Thai) and the lady walked me through what I needed to show and then helped me fill in the form letter that they supplied, waited for 45 mins and recieved the docs).

copy of wifes ID and Tabien Baan,

2 photo's.

that was all, so hope to get the thai translations certifed back on the 19th this month, and then stop in at Bang Phli amphur, they said sign two documents and done.

I will update when I receive it.

regards

seismic

Having recently obtained a yellow Tabien Bahn, I give my experience below.

My status is: unmarried, living in a house with a Thai partner. The land was bought 8 years ago, and the house subsequently built on this land. I have lived in this house, as a retiree, with my partner since then.

As previously stated, every Amphur office will have different requirements of what documents to produce etc. From reading previous posts, I got off lightly. My office only required a 'Letter of Residence' from the British Consulate, with official Thai translation of this letter only. Also: copies of my passport photo page and visa page; copies of my partners blue T.B. and ID card. A date was fixed for us to attend the office, bringing with us two Thai's from the Village as witnesses. The paperwork was completed during our visit. I wrote, in English, my Mother and Fathers names and education detais for them, they translated these details for the T.B. As no English was spoken in this office, a few questions were asked me via my partner, and all was finished within an hour.

One month later I collected my T.B. at no cost.

I have just hit the wall of songkhran, but here in Bang Phli, the documents they asked for are:

translation of passport (main details page only) certified at Brit embassy and translation certified at MOFA

letter providing details of myself and parents certified at brit embassy and translation certified at MOFA

(Incidentally did both these documents at brit embassy and they were very helpful, I showed them the requirements (in Thai) and the lady walked me through what I needed to show and then helped me fill in the form letter that they supplied, waited for 45 mins and recieved the docs).

copy of wifes ID and Tabien Baan,

2 photo's.

that was all, so hope to get the thai translations certifed back on the 19th this month, and then stop in at Bang Phli amphur, they said sign two documents and done.

I will update when I receive it.

regards

seismic

Any Ideas on the British Embassy Charges?

Where do you get the translation done?

Do you then have to goto the MOFA (is that in Laksi where Thais get there passports?) and get these certified?

Can this be achieved in 1 day running around BKK?

I have a few questions about the yellow house book.

What happens regarding the book if we sell the house and move out?

Recently my Thai wife got a list of what's required to get a yellow book in Pattaya, see attached.

From the list;

Item 1, says that I need a 1 year visa, but I've only got a 3 month Non-O visa at the moment. Anyone gone through the process with a 3 month visa in Pattaya / problem?

Item 2&3, How much does it cost to get Residence in Pattaya Certificate from Immigration Office and a Passport - Thai Translation guaranteed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Item 4, I have my original UK birth certificate, which I presume would be accepted, but doesn't say if copy or original. Also, where is the Institute of Translate for getting this document guaranteed Thai translated and how much?

Item 6, have 2 Thai witnesses. I haven't seen any details of others needing 2 Thai witnesses.

Would be great if I can get it all done before Songkran.

yes you need two thai witnesses and they must have their house books too. In regards to the translation if you are doing it in banglamung on sukhumvit and not pattaya cuty hall. They except the translation from a local translator on soi post office.

• 5 weeks later...

Ubon Ratchathani, Amphoe Muang, Requirements:

(1) 3x5 inch photo - NOT centimeters, full shot of face (yes, it's an unusually large photo for paperwork)

(2) 1 inch photos

(1) Copy of spouse's tabien baan

(1) Copy of spouse's ID card

(1) Copy of puyaibaan's tabien baan

(1) Copy of puyaibaan's ID card

(1) Translation of my passport

(1) Translation of my parents names

I had to bring the documents, my wife and the puyaibaan to apply. It took about an hour, we signed a few documents and they told me to come pick it up 3 business days later. I picked it up today at no charge. We did give the puyaibaan a small gift for her trouble though. A couple weeks ago I went with my wife to update her tabien baan and the lady suggested I get this yellow one. I didn't really know it was possible at the time so this amphoe is very familiar with the process. Not sure it helps much but if nothing else, I'm motivated to go to national parks more often now. B)

Edited by ubonrthai

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima).

Finally got started on getting a Yellow Tabien Bahn. Several months ago my GF called the tessaban office in downtown Korat to find out what was required. One of the requirements was a copy of my passport, certified by the embassy (US), and translated into Thai with the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It took a couple of months for me to get that organized. Then we had to call to make an appointment. Yesterday was the day. Here's what we had to bring:

• My passport, the certified copy and the certified translation.
  • GF's blue Tabien Bahn and her ID.
  • One neighbor plus neighbor's ID and her Tabien Bahn.
  • Pu Yai Bahn plus his ID.
  • Assistant Pu Yai Bahn plus his ID.

Everyone was interviewed separately and had to sign a statement. The entire process took a little over three hours. At the time the office was closing the staff finally let us go as they were still trying to figure out how to input my nationality (I'm a US citizen) into their computer system. (They tried "US", "USA" and "American", all of which were rejected.)

We were told that it would take two to three months for the Yellow Tabien Bahn to be issued.

I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

I should add that I had originally been told by local officials that I would need a marriage certificate in order to get the Yellow Tabien Ban. It was Isaan Lawyers in Korat who did the legal research and sorted this with the officials in charge. There is no legal requirement that you have to be married in order to be listed on a Yellow Tabien Ban.

• 2 weeks later...

Prakanong District Office.

Property: Town House

Documents presented:

1. Passport and a copy of passport certified by the British Embassy and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;

2. Declaration of parents names, places of birth and citizenship certified by the the British Embassy and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;

3. Work Permit and a copy thereof;

4. Blue House Registration Book;

5. Son's ID card and son in person;

6. Wife's ID card and wife in person;

7. Two Passport photos of myself;

8. Marriage Certificate and copy;

9. Son's Birth Certificate and Copy;

10. Thai driver's license and copy;

11. Two witness statement forms (Thai language), one for my wife and one for my son, confirming they know me and that I live with them. The forms are provided by the Registrar;

12. Personal declaration (Thai language), which is a question and answer style form. The form is provided by the Registrar.

Time taken: 2.5 hours most of which was spent in filling out the forms. The book was printed in my presence and I walked out with it after already sending my wife and son on home.

In my case, everything was done in Thai language so it all went very smoothly. It may take quite a bit longer if the process is carried out in English. For my declaration, I was able to read the questions without any difficulty and my son then simply wrote my answers for me. A couple of questions were left for the Registrar to fill in. In fact he should have filled in all the answers, but as his questions were already printed, it made sense to have us fill it in oursleves for him to then recheck.

I should add that in my case, my son is registered as the home owner and my wife is simply a resident.

The Registrar asked if he could keep the originals of the declaration and certified passport, offering to make me copies. I let him have them for the file, although technically he should have only made copies and returned the originals.

I went for overkill in terms of documents and in most cases I would say that the marriage and birth certificates would not be necessary. There certainly is no harm in taking too many documents. It certainly beats having to go back home to bring in something you thought you would'nt need.

Finally, I can remove this thread from my favorites. :D Next stop, looking into citizenship.

• 1 month later...

Stupid question at the end of such a long discussion about difficulties of obtaining Yellow Tabien Bahn - what is the main benefits of having one (ID card, residence permit, citizenship) and how does that help in the process?

1. It saves a trip to the embassy when you need a document to prove where you currently reside. That in itself makes it worth the effort.

2. It ensure you get the "Thai price" at national parks. There's no official law that I know of regarding that, but since obtaining the yellow tabien baan, I've had no hassles where I previously was hassled at park entrances even when showing driver's license. A tabien baan is just more "official looking."

3. Because you can. Legally it may not help with much but it seems like one more step to legitimizing your stay in the Kingdom.

Stupid question at the end of such a long discussion about difficulties of obtaining Yellow Tabien Bahn - what is the main benefits of having one (ID card, residence permit, citizenship) and how does that help in the process?

Edited by ubonrthai

1. It saves a trip to the embassy when you need a document to prove where you currently reside. That in itself makes it worth the effort.

2. It ensure you get the "Thai price" at national parks. There's no official law that I know of regarding that, but since obtaining the yellow tabien baan, I've had no hassles where I previously was hassled at park entrances even when showing driver's license. A tabien baan is just more "official looking."

3. Because you can. Legally it may not help with much but it seems like one more step to legitimizing your stay in the Kingdom.

I think it also means you can buy a car/motorbike in your name.

You can always purchase, insure and register a car in your name, WITHOUT a yellow house book. However with a yellow house book you need not go to Thai Immigration and pay a modest to zero fee, OR go to your respective Embassy and pay a not so reasonable fee, for a "document to prove where you live". The yellow house book saves you travel expense and paperwork expense for years to come. It is worth the effort in my opinion.

Has anyone done this in Sakon Nakhon?? Is the office the one down the street from MJ Hotel??

If so what would I need done in Bangkok before I return to SN to apply for Yellow Tambien Baan ??

What's that about having the passport translated to thai ???????

I really don't want to buy a car unless I have my name on it nor unless I have a license to drive it. I know this subject has been beat to death but......................

I foresee going back and forth between Sakon Nakhon and Bangkok several times to accomplish this.

The house is in my ladie's name and we have a baby girl together.

Will a 30 day passport stamp work ???

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone done this in Sakon Nakhon?? Is the office the one down the street from MJ Hotel??

If so what would I need done in Bangkok before I return to SN to apply for Yellow Tambien Baan ??

What's that about having the passport translated to thai ???????

I really don't want to buy a car unless I have my name on it nor unless I have a license to drive it. I know this subject has been beat to death but......................

I foresee going back and forth between Sakon Nakhon and Bangkok several times to accomplish this.

The house is in my ladie's name and we have a baby girl together.

Will a 30 day passport stamp work ???

. Well No! You need to read all the posts (there are years of them) I know its time consuming but you have to do it, and why would you expect a 30 day tourist stamp to work ?

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, I went along to the local Amphur (Don Meuang), to apply for a yellow book. The guy took all my paperwork, and looked satisfied. The only thing he asked for was a translation of the details page of my passport. I went to two translation services, but they both said I need to get a certified copy from the British Embassy. Can anyone tell me the cost of certification please. I thought I was just going to hand over a couple of hundred baht get a quick translation of the details page of my passport.

The guy at the amphur didn't say it had to be certified. I reckon he just wanted it translated so he could transfer the information onto one of the forms he has to fill out.

I didn't certify anything. Find another translator if they don't want your money.

Edited by ubonrthai

We will be registering our house for the first time soon. All we had upto now was the nod from the Puu Yai Baan to build the house and we need to get a number to get the electricity supplied. Can I get my name put on the Blue book or do I have to wait for the Mrs to get it and then apply for a Yellow one?

The guy at the amphur didn't say it had to be certified. I reckon he just wanted it translated so he could transfer the information onto one of the forms he has to fill out.

My local District Office (Prakanong) required that the translation be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. However to get that I needed the British Embassy to certify the copy first. I was also required to submit a Declaration of parents names, places of birth and citizenship certified by the the British Embassy and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I did all the translations myself so that did not cost anything, but the Embassy is not cheap. If I recall correctly, it cost me around 5,000 Baht for both documents. The MOFA was much cheaper though.

Luckily, it appears that you do not need to go through all that rigmarole and that a simple translation would satisfy the Don Mueang District Office. I hope it turns out to be the case for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, I have been in thailand 7 years on retirement visa 5 years in Takiantia pattaya .The house is in wifes name and the house book shows both wife and my 2 year old son. I have recently had to get a residence certificate in order to have the new car in my name. They kept the certificate which means i will need to get again if i sell or get new car . So i have decided to either get my name on house book or get new yellow book for me. Does anyone have recent experiance of getting this in banglamung and the reqirement needed as after reading the posts of others it seems to differ from district to district like the visa reqirements . Any help would be appreciated . petethumbsup.gif