Petchabun

macb

According to my maps and travel guides, Petchabun is on the western boundary of Issan. But what do I know?

What I do know is that Petchabun has some of the most beautiful scenery in the whole of Thailand, and matches, if not surpasses, the views in The Northern provinces such as Chiang Mai.

Petchabun seems to be largely undiscovered by foreigners,and even most Thais are largely unaware of its attractions, unless they are natives.

IF you get a local guide, (maps are useless), he will take you to many spectacular scenes, the like of which I have not seen anywhere else in Thailand. The communist guerrillas used to operate from Petchabun during insurgency, as the terrain is so rugged and mountainous. High up in the hills you will find reconstructions of Army Bases, from which they used to fight the insurgency.

The Princess Mother (now passed on) used to have a large house up on a mountainside in Petchabun, and the beautiful grounds there are now open to the public.

You would need 2 - 3 days to do Petchabun justice.

The road From Petchabun going South , almost all the way to Bang Pa-In, is a a four lane highway, straight as a die, and carries very little traffic.

Edited by Mobi

Responding to a rude post that appears to have been deleted.

I bet I speak a whole lot more Thai than you do, and the reason I didn't ask whether I was in Issan when I was there was because I assumed that Petchabun was in Issan, and it's only after reading this thread that I began to have some doubts. :o

You couldn't even get a guide in Petchabun without speaking Thai, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to communicate with him, which I did throughout his very interesting tours.

As to Petchabun being part of Issan - well I can tell you that many in that province speak the Issan dialect, and checking with some of my Issan friends, they maintain that it is indeed on the western boundary of Issan, with it's population split between ethnic Issan and other Thais - which is pretty much what you'd expect of a 'border' province.

Anyway here's a quote from the on-line Thailand Guidebook:

Situated right in the heart of the country some 346 kilometres from Bangkok, Phetchabun borders on three regions, the North, the Central and the Northeast. The central part of the province is on the Pa Sak river basin with mountain ranges running along both the western and eastern sectors. Because of the fertility of the land, Phetchabun has always been an agriculturally productive area. The very name of the province actually means the land of crops and foods. Today, Phetchabun is a province with rich tourism potential. lts climate is pleasant due to the mountainous and forested areas and it has a history of richness and prosperity for more than 1,400 years.

Responding to a rude post that appears to have been deleted.

I bet I speak a whole lot more Thai than you do, and the reason I didn't ask whether I was in Issan when I was there was because I assumed that Petchabun was in Issan, and it's only after reading this thread that I began to have some doubts. :o

You couldn't even get a guide in Petchabun without speaking Thai, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to communicate with him, which I did throughout his very interesting tours.

As to Petchabun being part of Issan - well I can tell you that many in that province speak the Issan dialect, and checking with some of my Issan friends, they maintain that it is indeed on the western boundary of Issan, with it's population split between ethnic Issan and other Thais - which is pretty much what you'd expect of a 'border' province.

Anyway here's a quote from the on-line Thailand Guidebook:

Situated right in the heart of the country some 346 kilometres from Bangkok, Phetchabun borders on three regions, the North, the Central and the Northeast. The central part of the province is on the Pa Sak river basin with mountain ranges running along both the western and eastern sectors. Because of the fertility of the land, Phetchabun has always been an agriculturally productive area. The very name of the province actually means the land of crops and foods. Today, Phetchabun is a province with rich tourism potential. lts climate is pleasant due to the mountainous and forested areas and it has a history of richness and prosperity for more than 1,400 years.

Didn't seem like there is a confirmation on which region Petchabun is in. (If there is, I missed it.)

http://www.phetchabun.com/information/phetchabun01-07.html

"จังหวัดเพชรบูรณ์ ตั้งอยู่ภาคเหนือตอนล่างของประเทศไทย อยู่ระหว่างภาคกลาง ภาคเหนือ และภาค ตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือ"

It says Petchabun is located in the lower Northern Region of Thailand. It is in between the Central, North and Northeast regions.

http://www.thaitambon.com/tambon/tprovlist.asp

Which handles products from various tambon in Thailand also confirms that it is in the North.

OP has visited this lovely province which I merely wish I had. One of these days I intend to visit it. Originally I was considering buying property there. Someone managed to convince me that CM is more advanced and have good hospitals, etc.

macb: Best of luck for your move to Petchabun. Hope you will find happy living there.

I lived in Wichian Buri for about a year, and they were definitely speaking lots of Lao/Isarn.

I recently read that the original road from Bangkok to Petchabun was built by convicts from Bangkok's prison, and when they finished they were allowed to settle in the province.

This is probably all you need to know about the dreadful place.

BTW Thais are well aware of its dark reputation, tell a taxi driver you have a woman from Petchabun and he is likely to leap in fear and swerve off the road!

Another farang visited the city of Petchabun - a pretty dull place the times I went there in the day - and reckoned he fled the hotel for the bus to Bangkok minutes before being setting upon by thugs in some way related to the gal he had been talking to earlier.

Farangs who pay two to fives times the going rate to build a house there, and hand over loadsa money to their woman (and her family and husband) however are treated very, very well.

When I was there you could get five bottles of Chang for a 100 baht, so the nights were tolerable, and the women are very, very addictive. Sod all else to do but I did have a telephone line and internet access so not completely cut off. I think it was the only time I read the Bangkok Post (bought in Petchabun city after giving a newsagent the money in advance to hold a week's supply for me) from front to back, missing nothing out.

Great place to lose weight as the 7-11 had yet to arrive and I existed on a combination of fruit and kow pat kai (cooked with lots of extra vegetable).

I am fairly sure the woman was putting arsenic into the food towards the end, as I ended up with crazed erections and sweated even more than normal (two well know side-effects). I went to one Bangkok hospital to have a blood check and they said only the police hospital would test for arsenic! So I didn't bother and am still here. The dog I fed with leftover rice died one day...

Oh, and the fried chicken was brilliant. And the mosquitoes were man-eating, would bite straight thru socks, had to wear boots all the time (except when asleep) and chucked the bed out as they would collect underneath it and get through the mosquito netting, so had the mattress on the floor! Never met a farang there who wasn't drunk most of the day (I only start at 9pm), one who sobered up got out of town fast!

Edited by gregchambers

It's a border area.. Some Isaan speaking people, some Thai. Easiest way to get there is via Phitsanulok, a central Thai province. It's also a rather big province.

It's quite remote, but I really enjoyed visiting.

I think you will find the easist route is the Lomsak bus (No 14) from Mo Chit, or an expensive taxi from Swampy. About 3500 baht.

Take that bus and get off at Mrs Mons (Ban Phu Toei) & we will give you some proper info. I just cannot believe what Greg Chambers has written - complete fiction or tosh!!

Edited by phutoie2

I wonder if there is any farang living in Petchabun for many years?

If so, I wonder how one takes life there.

In the few big cities I imagine one can find most things needed for everyday life.

But in the middle of the province, my impression was there was no big department stores like makro, etc. That was my impression from 3 years ago.

In the few big cities I imagine one can find most things needed for everyday life.

But in the middle of the province, my impression was there was no big department stores like makro, etc. That was my impression from 3 years ago.

In the town of Phetchabun you will see some westerners around, not a huge number but some. It's not a huge town, around 25,000 I think, but it is a growing area and you can find most anything you need there. We're on the western edge, about 1/2-way between Phetchabun and P'lok. P'lok has all of the bigger chain stores but Phetchabun has a lot of new growth along the south side highway heading down towards the Army base.

• 3 months later...

In the town of Phetchabun you will see some westerners around, not a huge number but some. It's not a huge town, around 25,000 I think, but it is a growing area and you can find most anything you need there. We're on the western edge, about 1/2-way between Phetchabun and P'lok. P'lok has all of the bigger chain stores but Phetchabun has a lot of new growth along the south side highway heading down towards the Army base.

excuse my ignorance but what or where is Plok ?

P/Lok is how the locals refer to the Changwat (county) of Phitsanulok.

As to Petchabun it seems to be generally accepted as part of the Central region/Forum. There is a fairly recent thread by people living in and around the City.

I travelled up to Petchabun last month when a Thai relative married a local Girl. Passing through the City I did not see any Farangs personally, however according to the local Thais there are numerous farangs who have "through their wives" bought houses and/or land in the area. Only a fairly small proportion of the farangs seem to live in the area permanently.

P/Lok is how the locals refer to the Changwat (county) of Phitsanulok.

As to Petchabun it seems to be generally accepted as part of the Central region/Forum. There is a fairly recent thread by people living in and around the City.

I travelled up to Petchabun last month when a Thai relative married a local Girl. Passing through the City I did not see any Farangs personally, however according to the local Thais there are numerous farangs who have "through their wives" bought houses and/or land in the area. Only a fairly small proportion of the farangs seem to live in the area permanently.

There is far more to Petchabun province than Petchabun city, it is the 9th biggest changwat in Thailand.

Farangs may appear to be thin on the ground but there was 6 of us !!! playing golf today at the Army base in Petch (Battle Horse). Not bad, on weekly society day's, treble that.

The new Tesco's opens on 15th April (Songkran!!) and Big C is coming along nicely too.

I live in a small town 30 km's into Petchabun, there are 3 Brits/I x Dane/ I x Swiss living in our Moo permanently and an assortment of Farangs who visit their G/F-TW throughout the year.

Its always interesting seeing who turns up every month. One of our neighbours had her German man visit for a few weeks and now a chap from Poland has come to stay in the family home.. Never dull here!

post-44176-1205422089_thumb.png

Edited by phutoie2

• 6 months later...

Hi MACB & All

Yes, I believe that Phetchabun should have its own forum. To the last poster - you are right, it's not in Isaan, yet the Phetchabun dialect is very similar, and has a lot of Lao. E.g. they often say 'sep' instead of 'arroy' and 'boh' instead of 'mai' (for no) - and many other strange words. You should listen to the wife's grandmother, even my Thai friends can't understand her.

Macb, do you live in Petchompu now? We've bought a place there some time back and used to rent before that. I don't know many other falang there, only Mervyn (mcb) out at Bantok.

Right now I'm back in Malaysia working, be back in Phetchabun next month.

The last poster (can't remember name) has done his homework about Phetchabun and the insurrection of the communists/students. The picture of the waterfall you show (I believe it's called Sri Dit Waterfall) is where the communists had a camp. Did you notice the rice threshers there, that were powered by a mill race and could not be heard due to the noisy waterfall nearby.

If you take the drive through Khao Kho towards Pitsanulok there are a lot of resorts along the way, on the bank of the river that runs alongside the road. Some fantastic places.

Those of us that have chosen to settle there have made a wise choice. It's a relatively unexplored province of Thailand, and hence land is cheap and the locals haven't gotten wise about how to rip off falang yet. This will all change in another 5 years or so.

Now the tesco lotus has opened, you can get half-decent French bread and some pretty good bacon, as well as salt-water fish. I came to Phetchabun 5 years ago and all you could get then was thai/isaan food.

Maybe somebody could speak to the moderators and get a separate board for us in the NORTH-CENTRAL provinces, Sukhothai: Pitsanulok; Loei and Phetchabun. We are not Isaan and certainly not Central (i.e. Ayutthaya, Sara Buri, Lop Buri, Ang Tong, etc).

Incidentally macb, are you selling a place in Homeland? I see an ad of yours elsewhere. I might have a lok at this next time back.

Correct Petchabun is a big Province as I travel I will be taking pictures:

Also as stated before once settled I will add local information such a hospitals doctors etc etc as I did in my Buriram Topic:

In the meantime here are some links that provide usual reading about the province:

http://thailand.sawadee.com/petchabun/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phetchabun_Province

Hi all

I have lived here in Phetchabun for a couple of months now and made many visits over the last year, settling into the village way of life ain't going to be every ones cup of tea, but I have a comfortable house and workshop being built so I am keeping active.

To shed a little more light on the ethnic build up of the region my wifes family are of the Puan hill tribe who immigrated from Laos in large numbers in the 17th-18th century a lot of whom settled in Phetchabun. They were prized for their agricultural, wood and metal working skills, and were welcomed into the area.

The language is still alive and thriving and I believe the population of Puan in Thailand is in the region of 200,000 and they are fully integrated into Thai society. My wife speaks Thai, Puan and Laos as well as rapidly improving English of course.

The countryside is beautiful and after living on an isolated brown desert island for 3 years is much appreciated by me, a nickname of the region is apparently little Switzerland. It is also perfect motorcycling country.

I have never personally experienced any animosity from the locals, thay all seem open and friendly, OK you get stared at once in a while around the markets and such but you get used to it and shrug it off with a smile. The workforce that I have had building the house and workshop have been first class, very friendly, reasonable prices and very skilled.

Cheers All

Chris

got a couple of things wrong above, they are known as Lao Phuan people and the total population between Laos and Thailand is evenly split at about 200,000 total. There were 5 main periods of migration between the 18th & 19th centuries. Memory ain't what it was!

C