Exporting Clothes To Australia

moneyshot

Im wanting to know the legalities of exporting clothes to Australia.

My sister in Australia has been bugging me to send clothes to her from Thailand, as she knows many small retailers interested and also would like to open her own shop. My wife is quite happy to source the clothes here in Thailand.

Is it a relatively simple process?

Would a company be needed in Thailand to send the goods and would a company in Australia be needed to receive the goods?

At first it would be small amounts being sent, is there a dollar value of the package before customs duties and GST are paid?

Any advice would be much appreciated :o

Should be no problems there.

There are no import duties on clothes since the late'80s. The FTA ensures the free flow of products. No need to have a company in Thailand if your wife is doing the exporting, just make sure you get paid. Raro can comment on the Thai side of things as that is what he does for a living.

The GST does not need to be registered until $50K, but officially you should pay GST on all imports. If the parcels are smallish and not to often they should keep below the official radar, best sent by post. If in doubt budget for paying the GST, and if you don't get slugged for it, bonus.

In Oz again you do not need to be a company, you can operate as a sole trader. Again you can import the goods as a sole trader, I have a number of friends who this. You have to declare the goods and the value on the shipping documents and the GST will be paid on this. The customs and quarantine folks like to inspect the goods to make sure they are they claim.

A good shipping agent is worth their weight in gold for this. If you need one in Thailand talk to Raro, if you need one in Oz I know a few. Once you understand the process you can do it your self but there are potholes in the road if you do not know all the regulations.

Thanks very much! :o

We were just planning on posting boxes around 10-15kgs, less than AU$1000 in value at first and see how how it goes.

If all goes well and we send a larger shipment I'll get in touch with you or Raro.

Thanks again for the information.

Thanks very much! :o

We were just planning on posting boxes around 10-15kgs, less than AU$1000 in value at first and see how how it goes.

If all goes well and we send a larger shipment I'll get in touch with you or Raro.

I used to send 80 kilos a day to the uk ,never a problem, i beleive thailand and AUS have a free trade agreement on some goods, worth checking out,.

Send them registered and insured. Air is best for this. From other threads at about 10kg it is cheaper to use DHL or Fedex so check those options too.

Remember to insure the cost of resending the parcel too (clothes plus post and insurance).

Sorry thats incorrect, price is best in this order, normal air mail. post office, second ,EMS post office, after that you are into sizes ( ems and post office dont care as long as its under 1.5 metres, ) dhl etc " volume up " and charge on weight and size, clothes will be bulky and expensive with the international carriers,. except EMS )

Thanks very much! :D

BE CAREFUL NOT TO FORGET THAT EXTRA 0 ON 100 :o

hi,

as others mentioned already, there is no problem in sending garments from Thailand to Australia. Not sure if you need a Certificate of Origin, I will check that for you.

If you need a C/O, you can only export as a registered company as private persons cannot issue a C/O. The other downside of exporting as a private person is that you do not get the VAT back and as a foreigner you can do that only once or twice as it would be considered a business after and requires a work permit.

The above paragraph applies for sending by freight forwarder. For sending by EMS or parcel service, please check with them for details, I can only speak for the freight forwarder method...

Post vs parcel service vs freight forwarder: Depends on the weight of the shipment. By post or EMS up to 10 kg, then by Parcel Service and over 40 or 50 kg the freight forwarder would be the best choice.

For more details please send me a PM. All the best for you new business venture!

cheers

raro

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again Raro!

I take it I would need an export licence to get the certificate of origin?

The regulations for issuing a "C/O chamber" have changed recently an it has become much more difficult to obtain it. The "C/O ministry" is now easier to get.

You do not need an export license, but you must be registered as exporter with the Thai customs. There are some more strings attached, I am myself not yet 100% clear aboutthe details...

• 5 months later...

I used to get clothes from Thailand last year and sell them here in Sydney. We got my wifes friend to label the goods as personal items & samples. We would ship 25kgs at a time. so if you ship small amounts at a time, everything will be fine

• 1 year later...

To Whom it may concern:

Hello. I have my own business in Thailand in which i want to export clothing and caps that are all 100% cotton to various countries. All the products are produced here in Thailand.This includes Australia, England, France,Germany, Italy, Switzerland, USA, and Denmark and also other hostile countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. What would i need to research in order to get an export license? certificiate of origin? FTA? Any assitance would be of much help! Thank you so much.

Sincerely yours,

Anika Tolani :)

• 1 month later...

Moneyshot,

The earlier comment that there have been no duties payable since the 80's is incorrect.

Your sister should call Australian Customs. They can email you a schedule of Duties payable by category and time. It is a very convoluted schedule (surprise surprise) which covers every category and sub category and states exactly how much Duty is payable WITH and WITHOUT the FTA or Certificate of Origin.

Sometimes when you ship via Fedex, your clothes can fly under the radar and no duties are imposed. However, once you are on the Customs Xmas card list, be prepared to cough up.

I am only speaking from a few years of import experience into Australia, both in clothes and homewares.

Cheers,

Lingnoi1977

• 1 month later...

Not that you sound like your going to be shipping large enough quantities to warrent this but, be aware that as far as I knwo there is no direct sea freight from TH to AUS, it will have to go through Singapore and can take up to 2 months to land.

something to think about...

Not that you sound like your going to be shipping large enough quantities to warrent this but, be aware that as far as I knwo there is no direct sea freight from TH to AUS, it will have to go through Singapore and can take up to 2 months to land.

2 months? Did they go westwards around the globe?

2 months? Did they go westwards around the globe?

They might.......

Well I am just remembering information that a mate in shipping told me, but there is a verry good chance i am totally wrong..

What would the internets be if it wansn't full of incorect, misleading and bullshit statements of faux fact.

• 1 year later...

hello,I am looking for a business partner from thailang that can export a clothes,shoes,boots here in netherlands near germany..i want a legal process..i hope i can meet a business partner in thailand that i can trust.

thanks lot