Anyone Here Using Canon Eos 400d 18-55 Kit?

mmkin

Thanks! yeah its a great camera... i think its cheaper to buy from SG then.

If you are in Singapore or taking a trip there, then yes. However you indicated $US800.00 which is 26,984 Baht. Add shipping, VAT, duties then it is not such a deal if ordering it from here. Plus take into account warranty service, need to be sure it is Global.

Actually, you can get it for quite a bit cheaper here, as long as you look around. The reason that I can say this is because I'm in the market for the same camera, since I sold my old one to a friend. The price I was quoted for just the camera (Canon Thailand warranty) was 22,500. Add the kit lens and you get around 26,500. For the gray market import, it's cheaper, at 18,000 baht for the body only and 22k for the kit (this is the Japanese "kiss" version). Fotofile's prices are controlled by Canon Thailand, and usually not very practical indicators of the general market.

SLRs will perform the best if you use a good lens with it. The kit lens is so-so, nothing to write home about. The "new" kit lens with IS (image stabilization) is supposed to be much better, but only some stores have it (and the kit will be more expensive). Another alternative is the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens, which is around 12k baht, and very good and sharp, a great value for the price, and much better than the original kit lens. Believe me, you'll be able to do much more with this lens.

However, there seems to be a major shortage of the camera (at least the gray market import type) at this time, since it's suddenly very hard to find. However, the stores say that shipments should come in around next week.

Edited by Firefoxx

Actually, you can get it for quite a bit cheaper here, as long as you look around. The reason that I can say this is because I'm in the market for the same camera, since I sold my old one to a friend. The price I was quoted for just the camera (Canon Thailand warranty) was 22,500. Add the kit lens and you get around 26,500. For the gray market import, it's cheaper, at 18,000 baht for the body only and 22k for the kit (this is the Japanese "kiss" version). Fotofile's prices are controlled by Canon Thailand, and usually not very practical indicators of the general market.

SLRs will perform the best if you use a good lens with it. The kit lens is so-so, nothing to write home about. The "new" kit lens with IS (image stabilization) is supposed to be much better, but only some stores have it (and the kit will be more expensive). Another alternative is the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens, which is around 12k baht, and very good and sharp, a great value for the price, and much better than the original kit lens. Believe me, you'll be able to do much more with this lens.

However, there seems to be a major shortage of the camera (at least the gray market import type) at this time, since it's suddenly very hard to find. However, the stores say that shipments should come in around next week.

just got quoted by the distributor in Singapore. He can offer me @ S$1050 (abt 24000 bahts) after GST refund with the lens. Global warrnaty. Looks like its a good deal there.

Edited by mmkin

The global warranty is a bit misleading. The local service centers in a lot of countries (probably Thailand included) won't honor the warranty and will not repair the camera within warranty.

Again, it's not a great idea to go with the kit lens.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a substantial difference between the 350D and the 400D? I see the 350D kit with a wide-angle zoom (~17-50mm) available around Pattaya just under 20K - would that be the official or the gray import? How much is the camera body itself? I'd love to get the "New" IS kit, anyone know the price and details of that in Thailand?

Edited by Phil Conners

If anyone is worried about the warranty on gray market cameras check Mack Camera. They are an old (1938) US company that offers warranties for either gray market cameras and extended service contracts that cover after the mfg. warranty expires. They have international service. My gray market Sony FX1 came with a Mack warranty though I never had to use it. Check the link below.

From the Mack Camera website,

" Mack Camera affords an international customer the ability to utilize any manufacturer authorized service center to repair their unit. Just contact our International Service department for instructions, it's that easy."

http://www.mackcam.com/servicecontracts/index.htm

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican