Need A Drink Every Day?

yorkman

There is another thread just below, where somebody asked whether they could leave off the beer for a couple of days, as if that defined them as an alcoholic or not.

Hmm thats a good question I think. I certainly would hate it and if I did not get my end of day relaxing beer or two would be well put out, in fact I probably would not sleep as well as I do. No, I can't leave off the beer for a day or two.

So, does "needing" a couple of beers a day, late evening, define you as an alcoholic?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another thread just below, where somebody asked whether they could leave off the beer for a couple of days, as if that defined them as an alcoholic or not.

Hmm thats a good question I think. I certainly would hate it and if I did not get my end of day relaxing beer or two would be well put out, in fact I probably would not sleep as well as I do. No, I can't leave off the beer for a day or two.

So, does "needing" a couple of beers a day, late evening, define you as an alcoholic?

NO.

The problem begins when Alcohol cost you more than money.

Cheers Tony

I once knew a wonderful old man who had almost 37 sober years in AA. Everynight for 20 years he made two martinis for his wife. She enjoyed having her martinis and never had a problem with alcohol.

The old man would say, "if you drink too much, drink less; if you have a problem with alcohol, maybe you shouldn't drink at all; if you have a problem with alcoholism, come to AA."

He also said "I've been sober often enough and long enough to know that alcohol is not my problem; sobriety is".

Yes its possible for alcoholics to stay sober for periods of time. Even the co founder of AA had numerous periods of sobriety - as long as six months.

If you have any questions please pm me or better go to an AA meeting and talk to a sober alcoholic.

• 5 months later...

Good day everyone!

Yes its true drinking alcohol can cause money and aside from that if you cannot control yourself when your drunk then that's the beginning of having an argue to your partner or your friends.

But if you know how to control yourself in everything then its okay to drink but not to much.

The way I see it the thing that really matters is whether or not it is having a negative affect on your life. What you choose to label it is not really that important. If you are happy to pay the price that drinking alcohol everyday will cost you then go for it. Just be aware of what these costs are. Negative things like alcoholic liver disease are not nice ways of dying and if you are drinking everyday you increase your risk of this. I personally choose to end my drinking because it was destroying my life, and I couldn't control it. AA is a great organisation for helping drunks, but it is not for everybody. Luckily it is not the only show in town and many people go on to have great lives without any support group. We are lucky that in Thailand there are great places like Wat Thamkrabok to help drunks and other addicts for free. I am not saying that you need this level of intervention though, only you can know that.

Negative things like alcoholic liver disease are not nice ways of dying

Jeez, you mean there's a nice way of dying?

Only joking. :D

I would say anybody who "needs" a beer or two at the end of the day but leaves it at that (i.e. one or two) is not an alcoholic. The problem comes when a person has a beer or two at the end of the day and ends up, on a regular basis, going on a bender.

I love nothing better than a beer at the end of the day but I know that if I do it will end up as being between six and eight (and there are almost no bars as such in Quang Ngai). So I limit my drinking to Friday night, Saturday night and Sundays and the rest of the week it's tonic or club soda - yummy :o not!

So I guess by my own definition I am a latent alcoholic but I am sure not going to beat myself up over it.

I am also of the opinion that the need is instead of want is the line between alcoholism or not.

I do not think that 1 or 2 drinks per day will cause you to die of any liver failure. Many studies have been published that show 1 or 2 drinks per day of beer or wine are good for you. Wine being better than beer. I would guess the difference between 1 or 2 would depend on your body size. These same studies show the problems start with the 3rd or 4th drink.

I guess I'm lucky. I don't think my body likes alcohol. I drink beer about twice a week. Yesterday afternoon was such a day. Today just the sight of a beer makes my stomach churn. No way could I choke down a beer today and I like beer.

I normally drink about 2 pints of Hong Tong Whiskey and soda per night.

There is less than 1 inch of Hong Tong and the rest is ice and soda and sometimes I dont even finish the second one.

I generally start my first around 5 pm and finish the second around 8 pm.

I dont need to drink it as I can drink cola or soda on its own :o but it is a way of relaxing.

If you need alcohol to sleep then you are dependent on it. That does not mean you are an alcoholic but dependency is the road to alcoholism. It is not a road you have to travel down but it is a road that you could well go on.

The good news is that where you are is easily reversible. Take a few days off and your sleep pattern will get back to normal, your liver and kidneys will get a much needed break and you will feel more energetic and alive.

The body is a remarkable engine but it needs a little maintainence once in a while. If you take a day or two off a week you will find you are not so dependent which is a good thing.

I too fall intoo the category of needing a drink every day...in fact more than one, although I never start till late, I don't stop till I am drunk.

I recently had my Liver checked at Bumrungrad and did not get any good news, just that he deteriation was TWICE as bad as it was on my previous visit.

Anyway seems to me I have a choice, plain and simple...stop or I will probably make another 5 years tops.

Well this is day 4, I am tired, misserable and lethargic...but sober.

Being a Diebetic onl adds to my complications...so I now have time to think of nothing else but staying sober. I know there are many options for me if I cannot do this by myself, Garro and Pattaya Tony and I have discussed them on several occasions.

If I am DESPERATE I have a plan......I will make calls and get myself somewhere or other.

I have not shaved since I stopped and I don't intend to until I have been sober one month..every time I look in the mirror I can see my progress...stupid idea ..but worth a shot, I am looking more like the bum I will turn into eventually in advance :D

Wish me luck...it's a f.ing rocky road.

Once I have conquered this demon I may be able to do something about the 40 ciggarettes I smoke a day :o

TP

Thaipauly, I really hope it works for you this time mate. You've done it before and know the benefits. I think that I told you before that I was having problems with my liver before I stopped; elevated LFTs. I began to think that there was no point in stopping as my liver was already ruined. This was nonsense. My LFTs are now normal. As you say yourself, don't worry to much about the ciagarettes for a bit. You have enough on your plate already.

Thaipauly, I really hope it works for you this time mate. You've done it before and know the benefits. I think that I told you before that I was having problems with my liver before I stopped; elevated LFTs. I began to think that there was no point in stopping as my liver was already ruined. This was nonsense. My LFTs are now normal. As you say yourself, don't worry to much about the ciagarettes for a bit. You have enough on your plate already.

Cheers Garro...always the voice of reason......I am supposed to have my next check up in 2 weks, but I am gonna postpoen it for a month as right now they are gonna say there is no change, and that will be 10,000 Baht please.

When I go back I wanna have some news to look forward to, then if required they may wish to change my meds :D

But MONTH is a long way off mate

I won't hesitate to contact you if I am nearly falling off the waggon, but right now I KNOW I AM supposed to be feeling like this...I know from experience it gets WORSE the longer you are sober as you think you have it licked and never really had a problem with alcohol...but I know now ...at last...that thr results of my tests don't lie :o

I have not shaved since I stopped and I don't intend to until I have been sober one month..every time I look in the mirror I can see my progress...stupid idea ..but worth a shot, I am looking more like the bum I will turn into eventually in advance

Actually that is not a stupid idea unless it makes you feel bad. Anything that reminds you of the progress you are making will help. That is why AA give out keyrings etc.

Your body is reacting to a lack of alcohol but as it gets accustomed to the new regime it will quickly start feeling good. But beware of certain times (one four and nine months) which are all danger points for lapsing. Also remind yourself that feeling rough now is temporary, you only go through this once. UNLESS you relapse when you will have to start again.

The very best of luck to you. If you need any support PM me I have been working with drug and alcohol users for 15 years and a chat costs nothing.

I drink just about every day. I dont get drunk every day. I can go a few weeks before actually getting pissed. But i will have a few beers most days. A few being 2-6 small beers. I still go to work at 6.30am every day. I have not missed a day of work due to having a hangover for over 8 months. But i guess i do drink more than i should. I work hard and i i train once a week and play indoor 5's once a week. I also play on a Sunday 11 a side. So i still live an active life. But am i still drinking too much? Probably?BTW i am only 34. But i still think it may be time to cut back quite a bit.

I drink just about every day. I dont get drunk every day. I can go a few weeks before actually getting pissed. But i will have a few beers most days. A few being 2-6 small beers. I still go to work at 6.30am every day. I have not missed a day of work due to having a hangover for over 8 months. But i guess i do drink more than i should. I work hard and i i train once a week and play indoor 5's once a week. I also play on a Sunday 11 a side. So i still live an active life. But am i still drinking too much? Probably?BTW i am only 34. But i still think it may be time to cut back quite a bit.

I would say Jockstar that you are a heavy drinker, lots of people from our side of the world are. It is good that you have other interests. It is up to you to decide if alcohol is making your life better or worse. If it is making it worse then you should stop. Some people remain heavy drinkers all their lives and they pay whatever price that needs to be paid for this - some seem to get away with it. Others might see the cost as being worth it. Others get fed up with what alcohol is doing to them and they change their ways. Other people like me get our lives into such a mess that there is very little choice about it anymore.

I smiled when I saw your 'only 34' comment. I previously thought that given up alcohol should be left until way into my forties; this was despite the fact that I hit my first treatment center at 20. I only made it till my late thirties until I finally stopped and I was 'lucky' to stop then. You don't have to wait until a certain age for your life to get better if alcohol is a problem.

I hope that you don't think that I am in any way lecturing you or presuming too much. If you are happy with your drinking then who am I to say anything about it. This thing is all about personal choice and so long as you know what the costs are and are willing to pay them, then it is your business (and those close to you).

Edited by garro

No one ever replies to these how much do you drink threads with 100% honesty do they? No one ever says I get siht faced all day everyday.

You don't have to get absolutley shit faced every day to know you have a drinking problem, I don't get shit faced every day, but usually I drank every day, and anyway if you go to the hospital and they tell you your liver is deteriorating rapidly, it aint because you have been going at the ice-cream to much is it? :D

You want 100% honesty....then listen to politicians mate :o

this is all rather interesting.

my husband drinks everyday.

rarely, if ever gets stupidly drunk but is unable to go a day without a lot of booze.

i suspect he is a functioning alcoholic of some kind and i think he knows it, some of the time.

glad to have found this forum btw.

I love nothing better than a beer at the end of the day but I know that if I do it will end up as being between six and eight (and there are almost no bars as such in Quang Ngai).

So I guess by my own definition I am a latent alcoholic but I am sure not going to beat myself up over it.

Just to prove a point, yesterday was a long, hot, hard day and I really fancied a cold beer in the evening. So I went down a cafe and sat chewing the fat with a few of my colleagues over a "couple" of beers. Except that a "couple" = seven. :o

But I'm still not beating myself up. :D

No one ever replies to these how much do you drink threads with 100% honesty do they? No one ever says I get siht faced all day everyday.

You don't have to get absolutley shit faced every day to know you have a drinking problem, I don't get shit faced every day, but usually I drank every day, and anyway if you go to the hospital and they tell you your liver is deteriorating rapidly, it aint because you have been going at the ice-cream to much is it? :D

You want 100% honesty....then listen to politicians mate :D

Ice cream eaten in large portions daily has proven to lead to a major increase in weight leading to all sorts of nasties including heart attack. Wouldn't want death by ice cream on my certificate. How boring :o

You want 100% honesty....then listen to politicians mate :D

Ice cream eaten in large portions daily has proven to lead to a major increase in weight leading to all sorts of nasties including heart attack. Wouldn't want death by ice cream on my certificate. How boring :o

Is that REALLY the best you can do? :D

I think a lot of needing a drink depends on your environment. I lived in Jomtien for a couple of years and drank nearly every day. And yes it was fairly steady drinking.

After moving up country out in the boonies, the bars are no longer a magnet and I have things to do to occupy my time. I have lost my tolerance for beer and now have terrible hangovers if I over do it.

I think a lot of needing a drink depends on your environment.

i think it's not the environment but the circumstances. nearly three years ago we lost our only child. since then my wife refuses to consume any alcohol but i make up for it consuming a multiple :o

I think a lot of needing a drink depends on your environment.

i think it's not the environment but the circumstances. nearly three years ago we lost our only child. since then my wife refuses to consume any alcohol but i make up for it consuming a multiple :o

Please accept my condolences. I lost my younger sister about a year ago. Losing a family member is never easy especially a son or daughter.