Foreign Ownership Of A 7eleven Franchise?

I'm pretty sure that 7-11 and Family Mart will NOT allow foreigners to own, or even partly own, franchises in Thailand. Only possible if you have a GF/spouse/partner who would own the franchise, with the OP as a passive observer. Even then, a farang could not perform any work int he shop.

How did you come to these assumptions?

Cheers

GF works for CP, and has talked with FM about a franchise.

I'm pretty sure that 7-11 and Family Mart will NOT allow foreigners to own, or even partly own, franchises in Thailand. Only possible if you have a GF/spouse/partner who would own the franchise, with the OP as a passive observer. Even then, a farang could not perform any work int he shop.

How did you come to these assumptions?

Assumptions ? Facts.

It's the Foreign Business Act, with the List 3 (text here).

SECTION 8 Foreigners shall be prohibited from operating the businesses prescribed in List Three in which Thai nationals are not ready to compete unless permitted by the Director-General with the approval of the Committee.

LIST 3

The business which Thai nationals are not yet ready to compete with foreigners:

(13) Internal trade connected with native products or produce not yet prohibited by law.

(14) Retailing all categories of goods having the total minimum capital less than 100 million Baht or having the minimum capital of each shop less than 20 million Baht.

(19) Selling food or beverages.

(21) Other categories of service business except that prescribed in the ministerial regulations.

That's at least 4 reasons !

;-)

However... Apparently they could remove some items of this famous List 3, before to vote the final draft of FBA 2 (more info on ThaiCrisis).

So, we can still hope... :o

According to the GF, CP and Family Mart will not allow the 51/49 structure. Must be 100% Thai.

Have no reason to doubt her, as she is interested in doing it with 100% of her money. I just asked the question.

Perhaps one could get around it by not telling CP or FM, but I am not sure of the process.

Edited by rchapstick

Again, I do not know the process in full, but my understanding is that FM and CP require their franchisees to set up as limited partnerships, and not corporations. So no non-thai's allowed. And you may be right that while they may prefer a partnership, a Thai corp is OK and thus minority foreign ownership is ok.

GF's english is good, but not that good for me to decifer legalese.

One of these days I'll sit down with her and translate the relevant docs to share here. Seems like there is lots of interest.

Edited by rchapstick