Heavy Rains Predicted For South

sbk

Heavy rains predicted in South

The Meteorological Department Monday warned residents of southern provinces to brace themselves for possible heavy rains because of a power monsoon wind.

In its morning forecast issued at 4 am, the department said provinces down from Surat Thani could see heavy downpours because of the northeast monsoon over the South and lower party of the Gulf of Thailand.

The department also predicted cold spell in northern and northeastern provinces.

It said the temperature on mountains in northern provinces would be about 5 to 10 Celsius degree while the lowest temperature in the lowland of the region would be about 15 degree.

It said the temperature at mountain tops in northeastern provinces would be about 10 to 15 Celsius degree and the lowest temperature in the lowland of the region would be 18 degree.

The Nation

The Meteorological Department Monday warned residents of southern provinces to brace themselves for possible heavy rains because of a power monsoon wind.

In its morning forecast issued at 4 am, the department said provinces down from Surat Thani could see heavy downpours because of the northeast monsoon over the South and lower party of the Gulf of Thailand.

The department also predicted cold spell in northern and northeastern provinces.

It said the temperature on mountains in northern provinces would be about 5 to 10 Celsius degree while the lowest temperature in the lowland of the region would be about 15 degree.

It said the temperature at mountain tops in northeastern provinces would be about 10 to 15 Celsius degree and the lowest temperature in the lowland of the region would be 18 degree.

The Nation

Does this happen often? Is this normal for this time of year?

Yes, this is normal. In October the wind becomes northeasterly. This wind is the trade wind, in Thailand also called the northeast monsoon.

The southern Thai east coast (Chumphon, Ko Samui, Hat Yai) is exposed to this wind. Whereas the dry season starts in most of Thailand, a short but often heavy rainy season starts at the east coast. The heaviest rains slowly move to a more southerly position.

A couple of years ago I got stuck on Ko Tarutao due to storms in the middle of December. Once I did make it to the mainland, I had to wait at one town for the flood water to go down far enough for my truck to be able to plow through it. There were floods in several towns on my way north.

So, normal? Don't know... but it seems to happen.

Wouldn't you know it, I'm heading to Tarutao tomorrow about noon and out to the islands the next day... reckon I'll pack a 'brella.

Yes, this is normal. In October the wind becomes northeasterly. This wind is the trade wind, in Thailand also called the northeast monsoon.

The southern Thai east coast (Chumphon, Ko Samui, Hat Yai) is exposed to this wind. Whereas the dry season starts in most of Thailand, a short but often heavy rainy season starts at the east coast. The heaviest rains slowly move to a more southerly position.

Michael Fish couldnt have said it better!!!

We should expect more collapsed infastructure that will remain collapsed for years to come here on Koh Samui then :o

Does anyone know if or when it is meant to hit samui ?

Don't you worry. The Thai Met Office usually warns for heavy rain for days to come when the disturbance has passed already, yesterday 61 mm at Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The American Met Office, though not very reliable either, is usually better than the Thai. They calculate no rain on Tuesday and minor amounts (less than 10 mm) from Wednesday, most days much less than 10 mm.

For non-metric Americans: 25.4 mm=1 inch

The Nation

:o What is a power monsoon wind? Perhaps they mean a powerful monsoon wind? Is it just another slightly less than pefect translation from Thai?

I once saw a job notice in the Bangkok Post, A Japanese company was advertising for a "translation person for from Japanese forward to English or Thai and then reverse". I understood their meaning, and I immeadiately understood why they needed that translator soon.

:D