Coming To Take Tefl And Teach

jetstoya

Can anyone help me answer a few questions ?? I'm going to get laid off from a job and love Thailand !! I'm going to travel many miles to teach. I'm planning on going to TEFL Internation in Ban Phe to get a certificate to teach. I have a BS in an unrelated study and need a change.

My Questions are is TEFL worth the money ?? http://teflintl.com/ Will I be able to get my 1st teaching job and make enough to support myself ??

Thank You

Jetstoya, it is definitely worth the money. If you have no teaching experience,

it will be very, very helpful. A lot of highly educated people simply don't know how to teach. This course you plan to take should give you some actual teaching experience on top of the theory. It will also give you a piece of paper to bolster you resume. You should be able to make plenty of money to live comfortably, but like they say, everything is relative. One man's idea of comfort is poverty to another. It really depends on your spending habits. I would'nt lock yourself down with a girlfriend until you have established yourself and are making progress with work and saving some money.

Jetstoya, it is definitely worth the money. If you have no teaching experience,

it will be very, very helpful. A lot of highly educated people simply don't know how to teach. This course you plan to take should give you some actual teaching experience on top of the theory. It will also give you a piece of paper to bolster you resume. You should be able to make plenty of money to live comfortably, but like they say, everything is relative. One man's idea of comfort is poverty to another. It really depends on your spending habits. I would'nt lock yourself down with a girlfriend until you have established yourself and are making progress with work and saving some money.

I completely agree on all points...

But, if you're planning to teach outside of Thailand, you'll find the Cambridge CELTA course to be better recognized, and give you a better chance of getting your foot in the door..

If it's just Thailand where you'll be teaching, then the local TEFL course, or even the Text 'n Talk course, will help you a lot, based on some reports from grads... And they both give you practice teaching under supervised conditions.

There are opportunities for any sharp teacher to make serious money in the Education field here....Outside of the classroom, too. I was able to retire on my savings from teaching here...Quite comfortably, too. :D

And as mbkudu suggested, a girlfriend is likely to be your biggest expense, in my experience, too :o

don't even think of trying to teach without some form of acredited certification, consider it from the students perspective. would you want to be taught something for which you had paid a serious amount of money (for some), by a teacher who had no at least undergone basic training...

with a degree and a non-CELTA tefl... you will be able to manage comfortably (by thai standards) in the los...

if you want to ELT internationally, the CELTA is arguably more widely recognised...

no worries... you'll be doing us all a favour in coming over... hopefully you will replace one of those kao sarn road frauds with a fake degrees etc...

PS... if you have a beard or facial piercings.. get rid of em' first... :o

I Thank You people for your responses. I'm happy to get positive feedback from ya all. I will know next week when my last day of work will be here in the states.

A girl friend is something I know I don't need especially while taking the TEFL course. That will be hard after the course !!

I have just a few more questions please. Can I ask, how many hours a week will I be putting in, and what will the job pay ?? Will I be able to live anywhere in Thailand I like. Meaning if I would like to live Pattaya will I be able to find a job there ??

Thank You Again People

You might want to check the jobs board over on www.ajarn.com. Then you'll have a realistic idea of what's available (and in what locations). In general, the bottom line is min. 30K in Bangkok, maybe a little less outside. That could be considered a starting salary for a beginner. If you're in an area with fewer farang (i.e., not Pattaya and not touristy areas) you might make a bit more even as a beginner. If you're in the deep country you might make a bit less but prices will be rock-bottom. Good luck.

"Steven"