BANGKOK 22 February 2019 06:43
Sign in to follow this  
george

Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

Thai election forces 2-weekend booze ban

post-128-1197483652.jpg

BANGKOK: -- No alcohol will be served to expats, tourists or local residents in bars and restaurants over the next two weekends nationwide due to the oncoming election.

The first dry days will be 14, 15 and 16 December, pre-election days for a few million Thais who registered to vote early.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be served nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Elections on the 23rd will mean no alcohol will be sold from 6pm on the 22nd till midnight on the 23rd of December.

Practically this means two or three dry days in the two weekends ahead, although some tourist areas tend to be lenient once it's past 7pm on election day.

Please be aware that local rules could apply. Big hotels are not likely to be affected.

--thaivisa.com 2007-12-13

Unsuspecting visiting tourists will be surely amaized! Thing is a lot of countrys have elections but dont ban alcohol. This will be a right pain for people on their 2 week vacations - especially if they catch both ends.

Edited by pointofview

"So it's off to Tesco tomorrow evening to stock up."

They've got a marketing opportunity to sell hip flasks, too, I guess.

Unsuspecting visiting tourists will be surely amaized! Thing is a lot of countrys have elections but dont ban alcohol. This will be a right pain for people on their 2 week vacations - especially if they catch both ends.

This is really over the top. One dry day on the main election day can arguably be tolerated and might even prevent a few drunked bums from going out and shooting a poling station but this really messes up tourists and owners of pubs and restaurants.

This is really over the top. One dry day on the main election day can arguably be tolerated and might even prevent a few drunked bums from going out and shooting a poling station but this really messes up tourists and owners of pubs and restaurants.

Just goes to show how these people fear the masses

So it's off to Tesco tomorrow evening to stock up... :D

Make sure you go when they are open to sell booze............. :o

We are in Patong during both weekends for holiday, to have fun and we were ready to leave our Euro's in Thailand by having good times. We do NOT have to vote for these [admin edit] so I can't get it why we (tourists) have to suffer too ?

What a brilliant idea again !!! Specially during peak season.

Edited by george
Language

When you read between the lines, this is obviously "much ado about nothing" in terms of genuine impact on tourists. If Big Hotels are not likely to be affected, I seriously doubt that the average tourist will feel that their Thailand experience will have been significantly dampened.

clever aint they! oh well, what can you do? I think I will just stock up at home and take the next couple of weekends easy.

I really feel sorry for the bar owners though, it could run into the hundreds of thousands in losses for some of them. imagine how much a large bar like robin hood or Molly's could make if they could stay open.

These Elections are getting far too frequent, presume the problem is that they are using a proportional representation voting system and mush of the time many of the voters are so intoxicated they would have have problems counting to 3...

To be serious I assume that only Thai people can vote so why not allow some bars (and hotel bars) to open in tourist areas as long as they serve people with non Thai ID.

BB

I figure this will be enforced the same as most laws in the tourist areas. The bars will operate as usual, maybe pouring beer into cups instead of handing out bottles, and they'll have runners set up to let them know when the police are in the area and alter business only until the police leave.

Same as how most of the shops selling bootlegs work.

There seems to be some criticism of how the Thais are unable to remain sober for the election and have to have this order imposed on them.

It seems from some posts that some expats are unable to manage a few days without drink as well as those they criticise.

I doubt whether this will have much impact on tourists other than those on 'boozy' trips who are hel_l bent on getting pissed at every given opportunity.

A few days sobriety wont do anyone much harm!

This will certainly be good for the pre-Christmas tourist trade........ :o:D