Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

george

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As in the words of the song...'Do they know it's Christmas time at all'. A lot of companies are having Christmas parties at this time of year and it seems a bit much to take away the booze. A Christmas party without booze is like Loi Krathong without the fireworks.

I believe that we're buying our booze before the ban and taking that to the Christmas party...not sure if that's illegal or not to be honest but, if we're supposed to join in the karaoke, I think a few shots will be needed, for me and for the people who have to listen to me sing! :o

We are in Patong during both weekends for holiday, to have fun and we were ready to leave our Euro's in Thailand by having good times. We do NOT have to vote for these [admin edit] so I can't get it why we (tourists) have to suffer too ?

What a brilliant idea again !!! Specially during peak season.

Laws must also be followed by tourists!

TTF for ThaiVisa. This is our only source of current information here in the rice paddies. Thankfully the powers that be are a bit more tollerant around here.

380 reading this thread at the moment, how many in panic mode?

This will certainly be good for the pre-Christmas tourist trade........ :o:D

Do you think anyione will really change their plansexcept a few weekenders from the likes of Singapore and then hardly any.

I do like a bevvy while on holiday myself but I do find it hard to criticise Thailand for running elections how they see fit - maybe i value democracy more than bevvy in my old age.

Yes can understand the arguments about tourist not voting, if you really wanta drink etc etc but they have the rules for whatever reason (gunmen - PI the same I think) and as it is their sovereign country its up to them.

I don't really share all the outrage and brouhaha about liquor sales that most of the folks here seem to have.

It's reminiscent of the hysteria surrounding the ban of cigarette smoking in bars and restaurants in California some years back, but worse. Here, we're only talking about a few days, with a well-defined motivation. The liquor-addicted expats can always go stock up at the store and stay at home those days and get plowed in privacy, fending off the DTs in disguise.

Although I feel for the tourists who might miss a margarita at the pool or the beach for a couple of days, most of the folks I know are reasonable people who would probably just shrug; some of them might even think "that's a good idea, wonder if we should do it at home around election time?"

The fact is, the unscrupulous politicos here (that's all of them, by the way), are plenty happy to buy votes with booze. I think most objective observers might also say that the philistine availability of booze here (overly low cost, sold anywhere without license, etc.) is a major factor in many of the most severe problems in Thailand - underage drinking, low birth weight, high traffic fatalities, domestic violence, etc. So, if the gov't wants to take some baby-step action to try to limit the ill-effects of booze on society, I think it should be applauded, not boo-hooed.

I'm not a teetotaler, and I don't advocate any sort of general alcohol ban. But I don't think freedom is judged by ones ability to get completely wasted wherever and whenever one wants to. It's not freedom, it's not even common sense.

Huzzahs for the ban.

Just observing the huge numbers reading this post, my initial thought was "alcohol comsumption plays far to large a role in most of your lives" if you are really up in arms about this.

The main reason for this law is simple. The authorities try to prevent Thai people from going to "Vote buying parties" where the organizers will woo them with booze, try to convince them to vote a certain way, and then send them off to do it. When the majority of your population is uneducated, sometimes you have to supervise them more closely, to get them to act in a responsible manner.

To those tourists whose entire trip to Thailand will be ruined because they can't have a few "bia Sing's", well, thats a pretty sad commentary on the tourists themselves, and not on the government trying to protect their citizens from making a poor choice during a very important event.

As in the words of the song...'Do they know it's Christmas time at all'. A lot of companies are having Christmas parties at this time of year and it seems a bit much to take away the booze. A Christmas party without booze is like Loi Krathong without the fireworks.

I believe that we're buying our booze before the ban and taking that to the Christmas party...not sure if that's illegal or not to be honest but, if we're supposed to join in the karaoke, I think a few shots will be needed, for me and for the people who have to listen to me sing! :o

An absolute minority of Thai companies will be having a Christmas party.

Edit: Sorry I missed your irony - of course all those Buddhists consider Christmas in all of their decisions

Edited by Prakanong

Just observing the huge numbers reading this post, my initial thought was "alcohol comsumption plays far to large a role in most of your lives" if you are really up in arms about this.

The main reason for this law is simple. The authorities try to prevent Thai people from going to "Vote buying parties" where the organizers will woo them with booze, try to convince them to vote a certain way, and then send them off to do it. When the majority of your population is uneducated, sometimes you have to supervise them more closely, to get them to act in a responsible manner.

To those tourists whose entire trip to Thailand will be ruined because they can't have a few "bia Sing's", well, thats a pretty sad commentary on the tourists themselves, and not on the government trying to protect their citizens from making a poor choice during a very important event.

Bloody hel_l - I agree with you for once. :o

I have changed my flight plans to arrive the 24th instead of the 19th but not due to the drink but because friends will be out of town due to election - I am sure the few extra days not drinking will help as I will be on it every day until the 1st after that after 2 months off

Are There any news sources to confirm this?

It was reported on Thai TV channel 3 a couple of weeks ago that legislation was passed to halt alcohol sales in the Kingdom from 6:00 PM on the 22nd, the 23rd and the 24th for the election. It makes no sense but that is what they said. I'm sure it will be widely ignored but some places may stick to the letter of the law. The establishments never get the notice from the police until a day or two before Prohibition so you cannot ask them.

WOW!! So many negative comments.

Do people need their alcohol that much?? Maybe they should see a Dr or something, if they can't miss a couple of weekends of alcohol.

OH NO - it will affect tourists - PANIC PANIC!!! Ha ha - who cares.

It is (near) Xmas - who cares.

It may stop vote buying, violence and other problems with the election - YES, please ban the crap. If it will be best for Thailand, go for it.

Duhh....... It's not about having a drink or not! It's about a having a choice!

It's childish and patronizing!

Yup... totally agree above, I don't have plans to drink this weekend, but I'd like to have the choice...

Thai election forces 2-weekend booze ban

post-128-1197483652.jpg

BANGKOK: -- No alcohol will be served to expats, tourists or local residents in bars and restaurants over the next two weekends nationwide due to the oncoming election.

The first dry days will be 14, 15 and 16 December, pre-election days for a few million Thais who registered to vote early.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be served nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Elections on the 23rd will mean no alcohol will be sold from 6pm on the 22nd till midnight on the 23rd of December.

Practically this means two or three dry days in the two weekends ahead, although some tourist areas tend to be lenient once it's past 7pm on election day.

Please be aware that local rules could apply. Big hotels are not likely to be affected.

--thaivisa.com 2007-12-13

What does elections got to do with alcohol? Drinking too much will check the wrong election box?