Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :o

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :D

You are right on the money. :o

cheers chris :D

You are right on the money. :o

Thanks chaps! :D

Good for you!

I have never heard of this.

How does one apply for a Tourist visa X 2?

Does that mean you received 2 separate Tourist visa stickers in your passport?

Did you submit 2 applications at the same time?

Thank You for any additional information you may be able to provide.

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Good for you!

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Hi Pakaty, sorry to hear you were refused a tourist visa in Penang.

The OP is referring to a 'double-entry' tourist visa. It's the same sticker you get for a single-entry only it indicates that you are allowed 2 entries within the validity period of the visa which will also be indicated and is usually 3 months.

What this means is that when you enter Thailand they will give you 60 days and mark the visa with a "1". If you leave and enter again before it expires you'll get a futher 60 days with a "used" stamp on the visa.

If you time it correctly and extend both 60 day entries by 30 days you can get 6 months. It cuts down on your visa run expenses considerably, all for an additional 1,100 baht.

Good for you!

Hi Pakaty, sorry to hear you were refused a tourist visa in Penang.

The OP is referring to a 'double-entry' tourist visa. It's the same sticker you get for a single-entry only it indicates that you are allowed 2 entries within the validity period of the visa which will also be indicated and is usually 3 months.

What this means is that when you enter Thailand they will give you 60 days and mark the visa with a "1". If you leave and enter again before it expires you'll get a futher 60 days with a "used" stamp on the visa.

If you time it correctly and extend both 60 day entries by 30 days you can get 6 months. It cuts down on your visa run expenses considerably, all for an additional 1,100 baht.

Thanks Tropo. That helps my understanding a lot. I'm just a bit confused on how to apply for one.

To apply for a double entry tourist visa...On the visa application form, for the type of visa I am applying for I would check the box that says tourist visa???

Then write in "double entry" next to that???

I do not recall seeing a double entry option on any of the visa application forms I have ever filled out.

Thanks again.

Good for you!

the box you tick for Tourist visa, you write x2 at the side, now i read on here about pennang, so i left that for plan b, which i can still now use, i also read on here how you were more likley to get a x2 refused on a monday, so with it been a public holiday on monday i treated tuesday as a monday and i applied on a wednesday!

and additional info just on my trip is

Chers chris :o

cheers chris :o

hi to all,

sorry this is off subject but can any1 help me , i,m here on type O multy entry so i only need to go across the border at nong khai pay my $35 and return can you get your border stamp on saturdays and sundays ?? or just mon to fri ???

thanks for any help ....mb...

Borders are ussually open 7 days a week, having said that its local and general elections in thailand both this weekend and next so thier might be problems or staff shortages leading to big ques etc so try stay clear if ya can.

chris

That's good news!

I hope they'll be as generous in January.

Did you have to present any details of your bank funds?

Sorry for late reply tropo, i took my bank book as i had read on here about maybe needing it, now i didnt have to show it, but i did use a visa agent outside, which i normally woundnt, but i thought im paying for all this with flights hotels and travel etc might as well bung someone as well can only help with not getting a "not to return stamp" and i did want a x2!

if i had gone in maybe they could have asked for a bank book and refussed as staff do from time to time just to get up our nose's!

no problems for jan i think you be fine, the people who are getting the "not to return to penang" stamp will not need another for about 5 months say, so it will then get very busy in laos about maybe march, thats when change might occour i would have thought!

good luck tropo

chris

Good for you!

the box you tick for Tourist visa, you write x2 at the side, now i read on here about pennang, so i left that for plan b, which i can still now use, i also read on here how you were more likley to get a x2 refused on a monday, so with it been a public holiday on monday i treated tuesday as a monday and i applied on a wednesday!

and additional info just on my trip is

Chers chris :o

just to add

just been pm and asked about the agent i used, and why and how much and is he safe? well you never 100% sure but heres my thoughts

agent outside the gates to the right at a food stall, he approached me so ill presume he would you if you go near the food stall.

was safe for me, bit worring sure giving your passport and money to a dodgy looking geezer but ask questions you know he cant do then should he lie hes gonna take ya to cleaners any way!

just sort of say can i have a 6 month and if he gives you back passport laughing you know your on right track.

definatly increased chances, when you look on here people going on a monday etc and getting a kb, that gezzer is making money from his result now he is friends with the guys in office at least and prob giving a bung to em so if a bit of paper work is just not right they have the ability and incentive to make it work.

yep i did pay him some money about 400 bhat for running into a office, good money for him sure, but flip the coin if i hadnt got exactly what i wanted then i had wasted a lot more!

i have posted his no somewhere might be on website but if ya cant find it let me know, but you shouldnt have any problems mate, good luck for jan

chris

I have just returned from laos...

In a related note, never having been to Laos, what is the best currency to pay for

1) the Thai visa at the embassy

2) hotel

3) the visa for Laos

4) other expenses (souvenirs, restaurants, transport...)?

Can one pay for the above in Thai baht, Lao kip, or is it a good idea to take some US dollars (I would have to exchange baht to dollars in this case)?

Edited by 7

In a related note, never having been to Laos, what is the best currency to pay for

2) hotel

3) the visa for Laos

Can one pay for the above in Thai baht, Lao kip, or is it a good idea to take some US dollars (I would have to exchange baht to dollars in this case)?

for me i used Thai bhat, for all the above, ussally get change in lao it wold work out cheaper to change but if you only there in and out 24 hours easyier stick bhat, for me anyways!

chris

for me i used Thai bhat, for all the above, ussally get change in lao it wold work out cheaper to change but if you only there in and out 24 hours easyier stick bhat, for me anyways!

chris

Cheers, chris. Good advice.

2) hotel

3) the visa for Laos

1)Baht

2)U.S$

3)U.S$

4)Kip

Edited by abdulrahman

Borders are ussually open 7 days a week, having said that its local and general elections in thailand both this weekend and next so thier might be problems or staff shortages leading to big ques etc so try stay clear if ya can.

chris

Hi

Thought I would have a few days in Vientiane a chance to have a run out in the new Fortuner. Tried to get a car passport when the vehicle was registered in BKK but told I would have to appear there in person, As car was being reg'd by garage this was difficult and involved a 800 km round trip. But they advised no problem. do it at my local Licensing Centre Buriram.

So a trip to Licensing center only to find I had gone on a public holiday (Will I never learn) so back again the next day. Sorry, Passport Rot can only be issued by a province that borders a foreign country, but no problem get one in Nong Khai. Just remember to take Blue Reg book and Yellow Tabien Baan.

Saturday morning, hmmm, (you can see where this is going) off I set and 5 hours later arrive in Nong Khai, after a visit to the tourist police I establish that the issueing center is at the driving test office, good directions, no problem!

Well obviously no one ever needs to take a car over to Laos at the weekend, because it is closed until Monday!!

So 2 days in Nong Khai could be worse but I still do not have the Passport Rot and the way my luck is going anything could happen!

Anyway I can now tell in great detail where the office is as I have had plenty of time to locate it.

Coming into Nong Khai from Udon Thani A2 (A12) on the left hand side about 1 km from town center is a VERY large Government building turn left immediately after it and just before the giant Tesco Lotus sign. Go right to the end of the road about 500m and on the left hand side is the Driving Test Center you will see the test course marked out in the grounds.

Now according to the guard I have the right place and it should be open Monday at 8.00am. Time will tell ?

Maybe I should take the test whilst I am there as I managed to be relieved of 400baht for speeding having been stopped twice on the way!

TBWG :o

chris

Hi

Thought I would have a few days in Vientiane a chance to have a run out in the new Fortuner. Tried to get a car passport when the vehicle was registered in BKK but told I would have to appear there in person, As car was being reg'd by garage this was difficult and involved a 800 km round trip. But they advised no problem. do it at my local Licensing Centre Buriram.

So a trip to Licensing center only to find I had gone on a public holiday (Will I never learn) so back again the next day. Sorry, Passport Rot can only be issued by a province that borders a foreign country, but no problem get one in Nong Khai. Just remember to take Blue Reg book and Yellow Tabien Baan.

Saturday morning, hmmm, (you can see where this is going) off I set and 5 hours later arrive in Nong Khai, after a visit to the tourist police I establish that the issueing center is at the driving test office, good directions, no problem!

Well obviously no one ever needs to take a car over to Laos at the weekend, because it is closed until Monday!!

So 2 days in Nong Khai could be worse but I still do not have the Passport Rot and the way my luck is going anything could happen!

Anyway I can now tell in great detail where the office is as I have had plenty of time to locate it.

Coming into Nong Khai from Udon Thani A2 (A12) on the left hand side about 1 km from town center is a VERY large Government building turn left immediately after it and just before the giant Tesco Lotus sign. Go right to the end of the road about 500m and on the left hand side is the Driving Test Center you will see the test course marked out in the grounds.

Now according to the guard I have the right place and it should be open Monday at 8.00am. Time will tell ?

Maybe I should take the test whilst I am there as I managed to be relieved of 400baht for speeding having been stopped twice on the way!

TBWG :o

dont forget you will need 2 passport sized photos of the car, and a full sized newspaper type one of you pointing at the car, then your spouse pointing at you and the cars steering wheel. indicating you are the nut behind the wheel! :D i joke you!

if you do get car to laos and ya in area of embassy/ consulate call in if ya get chance cos a lot of people due up thier over xmas & new year just in case owts changed, good luck and dont put oil in ya radiator!

chris

I was just in Laos 2 months ago, did not even think to ask for a double entry....I iwll go in Jan if I can get my 60 visa exstended 30s days in Bangkok...any one haveing troulbe with the 30 days exstentions?? If everything goes good Tuesday or eds I must aplay then off to Lao in Jan so hope I can get a doulbe

I was just in Laos 2 months ago, did not even think to ask for a double entry....I iwll go in Jan if I can get my 60 visa exstended 30s days in Bangkok...any one haveing troulbe with the 30 days exstentions?? If everything goes good Tuesday or eds I must aplay then off to Lao in Jan so hope I can get a doulbe

dont forget you can do 3 x border runs after your extention, but as mentioned on here earlier, maybe just do 2 then keep 1 as a spare.

chris

I have a 3 entry tourist and went to Nong Kai just before the first 60 days expired and asked for the usual 30 day extension. I was refused, but was told they would give me a 7 day extension for 1900bt. I decided to forget the extension and just go across the border and return for 1500bt. Later I was told by another officer from Nong Kai that the guy just wanted a little tea money. Anyone else run across that problem at Nong Kai?

Good for you!

Why have you been denied a tourist visa in Penang, can you give more information ?

Thanks.

Good for you!

Why have you been denied a tourist visa in Penang, can you give more information ?

Thanks.

it would appear that penang is no longer bieng helpfull and to some people on the visa is stamped "not to return, its on another thread so that why seems to be a good option at this moment, the Thread on pennang click here

cheers chris

Excuse my ignorance .. but when you say tourist x 2 do you mean 2 months or 2 entries...

I came to Thailand on a tourist visa was given 60 days at the airport and have extended it once at Chiang Mai immigrastion office for another 30 days..

But I understand I now have to go to the border to getr more time .. I thought I could only get another 30 days at border .. but cabn i get more??

Also .. when I get to the border .. goiing to Vientiane... do I have to stay over ion Laos for the night and get visa back the next day .. or do I just turn around and come back>??

BTW I have NZ passport and am over 50 and will probably apply for the over 50 retitement visa when I run out of entry opportunities..

Cheers

Excuse my ignorance .. but when you say tourist x 2 do you mean 2 months or 2 entries...

I came to Thailand on a tourist visa was given 60 days at the airport and have extended it once at Chiang Mai immigrastion office for another 30 days..

But I understand I now have to go to the border to getr more time .. I thought I could only get another 30 days at border .. but cabn i get more??

Also .. when I get to the border .. goiing to Vientiane... do I have to stay over ion Laos for the night and get visa back the next day .. or do I just turn around and come back>??

BTW I have NZ passport and am over 50 and will probably apply for the over 50 retitement visa when I run out of entry opportunities..

Cheers

tourist x 2 you can enter on it 2 times,

you should be able to do 3 border runs but the popular advice given on here is just go 2 times in case of problems that way you would be able to enter again.

border run no just go in and out many falangs and agents there to help, no problems

:o

Good to hear this venue still sort of tourist "friendly"

I've never been but I'm considering this location for my next renewal.

One thing I don't know though, is if there are visa agents performing the same type of service provided in Penang, e.g. without having to go in person to the embassy.

Should such agents be available, can anyone recommend one or two of them.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by pomchopkao